Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

https://twitter.com/samstein/status/1312034190628663296?s=21

Yes, China made him downplay the virus, tell all of his people not to wear masks, and make him go out and do tons of rallies with people also not wearing masks

https://twitter.com/kloeffler/status/1312018923420778496?s=21

Over 200,000 people? Nah, no big deal.

One stupid rear end in a top hat? Okay, NOW we got ourselves a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Aramis posted:

Trump's base is composed mostly of long-gone people who will vote R regardless, and who hate the Dems/Libs with every fiber of their being. These folks aren't going anywhere.

This is demonstrably untrue by how often Trump is able to get them to turn on other Republicans.

quote:

The problem is center-right (on the American spectrum) people who would rather vote R for self-interest but still have enough conscience to not vote for an out in the open Fascist and people who would not have voted, but are making an effort to get rid of the embarrassment that is Trump.

As I just stated, the center-right doesn't like Pence either. Pence is embarrassing and inept in his own ways. The only reason they have him on as VP was that he was headed towards losing in Indiana anyway and Trump needed to shore up the evangelical vote. No matter how much you want to be right on this, you simply aren't. Trump's base is loyal to Trump, not Pence. Pence by and large is seen as a religious nut, not a return to the status quo. Pence isn't attractive to the center-right against anyone, let alone compared to rank centrist Joe Biden.

Let me repeat: Pence was about to lose the Indiana Governor's seat to a Democrat.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Xombie posted:

No matter how much you want to be right on this, you simply aren't. Trump's base is loyal to Trump, not Pence. Pence by and large is seen as a religious nut, not a return to the status quo.

yeah you also have to remember that Trump is now literally the messiah to arguably the most significant subgroup of republicans

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Yeah Pence is almost as dumb as Trump. He just carries himself with slightly more gravitas.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Like, the election right now is “responsible guy” vs “irresponsible guy.” That isn’t going to change for the next few weeks. People aren’t looking to groom pence to be the mature republican here.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
If anything, having the electoral collage is probably the best reason why this election doesn't need a "do over" or be suspended. You're not voting directly for the candidate, you are voting for a group electors. The name on the ballot doesn't matter in a way.

Have a problem with it? Great, lets use this as a reason to abolish the electoral collage!

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Yeah there's a good chance any/all of these shits are going to come up positive in the next few days, it takes a couple days after infection for you to come up positive on tests.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

eke out posted:

yeah you also have to remember that Trump is now literally the messiah to arguably the most significant subgroup of republicans

He isn't the messiah, he's actually the antichrist. The guy that comes after him is the messiah. This is why that nutjob Schlapp wrote that apocalyptic post.

In a way, this jerkoff getting covid is really bad from a mass psychology perspective when it comes to sizable parts of the Christian sects in this country. They are, essentially, ungovernable normally and this only makes it worse.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

eke out posted:

lmao personally I'm most excited for the many Trump white house officials currently in the "I tested negative this morning, so of course I can interact with the President without a mask on" camp

If you don’t test, there’s no cases so why bother with testing? The clown train has derailed and exposed their stupidity and incompetence. Just like Tom Hanks illness made it real for many, this right here makes it real for his chud base.

This is my mood for the day, my weekend will be great regardless of the hopes and prayers from Maddow et all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCjBspxuUmU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

I love when they're so close to getting it.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
https://mobile.twitter.com/samstein/status/1312050388149972993

Republicans: Running the government like a business! Not even snarky in this case

quote:

But for months, the testing protocols to screen potentially infectious individuals have been more lax than the president’s aides present to the public.

Olivia Troye, a former senior adviser for the White House coronavirus task force, said in an interview Friday morning that “the majority of people who work in” the Eisenhower Executive Office Building, which houses most offices for White House staffers, “weren’t getting tested daily” when they “went into the West Wing for meetings.”

“I knew this because you have to be on the list to get tested and I know from talking to them,” Troye recalled. “It was going to be a time constraint and a resource constraint…These were more junior staffers who weren’t seeing the president, but from what we know about how this virus spreads, that…wasn’t keeping people safe.”
[...]
Troye, a longtime Republican who also worked as a counterterrorism adviser to Vice President Mike Pence, decried the culture of the Trump White House, instilled from the top down, of frequently disregarding public-safety and pandemic-era guidelines while at work.

“We should be protecting the president and the White House. We shouldn’t be sitting on top of each other in the Situation Room in meetings, like we were for so long,” she said. “It was a frustrating thing to watch and happen because there are still people on the White House staff who I know very well who don’t take it seriously. You walk into the West Wing, there are signs saying you should be wearing masks, but hardly anybody followed the protocol. And even when you did wear a mask, it felt awkward.”

“I’m actually surprised that it took this long,” she added.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

smoobles posted:

I just read a Sky News article that says the RNC has to convene and nominate a new candidate. Pence doesn't become the nominee.

So, that's interesting. Trump is already on the ballot in most states, so I guess he loses by default, which would be awful because it validates his base.
A lot of states have already started voting, and most other states have gone past their final ballot deadlines. Most states have rules in place for what happens if a candidate dies in this period (and for after an election but before being sworn in). For the most part, this means a vote for Trump automatically becomes a vote for Pence. I'm unsure what it means for the newly open VP slot, though. I don't know if electors just choose whoever they want as VP, or if there are different rules in place for each state, or if Pence should just continue going through the normal Senate confirmation process.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Glumwheels posted:

This is my mood for the day, my weekend will be great regardless of the hopes and prayers from Maddow et all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCjBspxuUmU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Astro7x posted:

If anything, having the electoral collage is probably the best reason why this election doesn't need a "do over" or be suspended. You're not voting directly for the candidate, you are voting for a group electors. The name on the ballot doesn't matter in a way.

Have a problem with it? Great, lets use this as a reason to abolish the electoral collage!

I guess either way I don't see the problem. If Trump dies, the VP candidate would be serve in his place. Thats literally the whole point of the vice presidency. You elect the trump-pence ticket but trump dies, you get pence. There's no mystery and nothing unseemly about that.

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018

Miller already had it I'm pretty sure.

It'd be kind of ironic if scavino got it though because isn't he the guy who does most of Trump's tweets that aren't directly from him?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

whydirt posted:

Yeah Pence is almost as dumb as Trump. He just carries himself with slightly more gravitas.

I mean, in some ways Pence is dumber. They are all Snake Oil salesmen, but Trump is 100% aware that he's full of poo poo and everything he's done up until now is just keeping up appearances. Pence I think is a true believer that what he's selling is legitimate.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
Pence might be one of the few people who would be worse at handling the Covid issue than Trump. If he were president he'd probably be going on about how the Germ Theory of Disease is "just a theory".

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
It's like Goofus and Gallant, only, I am pretty sure Goofus was still smarter on aggregate.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Hungry Computer posted:

Pence might be one of the few people who would be worse at handling the Covid issue than Trump. If he were president he'd probably be going on about how the Germ Theory of Disease is "just a theory".

He'd call for Americans to pray it away.

Died from Covid? Oops, guess you weren't praying hard enough.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I would say that maybe this is the time that Trump understands the importance of masks, shutdowns, and social distancing, but I believe he's going to recover from this more of an rear end in a top hat than ever before. He's going to rampage at China, minorities, and the Democrats even more than before.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Whitehouse halls gonna be decked in blood well before Xmas this year.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Hopefully all of you are right. I may very well be overestimating how much hatred of Trump is driving this election.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Cocaine Bear posted:

Good, will save Melania some trouble since she hates Christmas.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Paracaidas posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/samstein/status/1312050388149972993

Republicans: Running the government like a business! Not even snarky in this case

Beyond the fact it was also incompetent, I hate people acting like any single thing is the silver bullet that will stop the spread of this disease. Testing has flaws. Masks have flaws. Social distancing has flaws. That's why it's important that there's lots of testing, everyone wears masks while in public, observes social distancing whenever possible, and still minimizes the amount of time spent in other people's company. I mean, heaven forfend we do several things at once!

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Hungry Computer posted:

He caused an AIDS outbreak when he was Governor and was the head of Trump’s response team so we don’t have to speculate on that.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/1311912610409963520?s=19

Michael, a virus isn't something you can execute in a death camp

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Liars? In my white house?

https://twitter.com/PoliticsReid/status/1312052728403644417?s=20

Kale
May 14, 2010

Veryslightlymad posted:

It's like Goofus and Gallant, only, I am pretty sure Goofus was still smarter on aggregate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmL-mSi1rbo

Also good to see the GOP fall back on the preferred Trump era playbook. That being outrageous conspiracy theory rhetoric.

Hungry Computer posted:

Didn't he initially lead the task force response and just sort of let the CDC do their jobs and handle the messaging without TOO much bullshit, but not too much assistance either, and then Trump got mad that someone else besides him might receive credit for something when he could receive it himself and proceeded to start hijacking the press briefings from the actual scientists until he was doing all the messaging himself and screwing it all up?

Kale fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Oct 2, 2020

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/SenMikeLee/status/1312055257992753152

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Chairwoman of RNC tests positive for Covid

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/10/02/us/trump-vs-biden#ronna-mcdaniel-chairwoman-of-the-rnc-tests-positive-for-the-coronavirus

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

smoobles posted:

What happens if Trump dies and then wins

Cadaver Inauguration.

Gonna need to find a good artist to do it justice though.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Holy gently caress he's doing it, he's draining the swamp

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Cocaine Bear posted:

finally, the war on christmas ends

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

with mike lee having covid i don't really see how they move Barrett on their current schedule

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Thoughts and prayers.

And I say that with all the sincerity that a Republican says it with after s mass shooting.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

evilweasel posted:

with mike lee having covid i don't really see how they move Barrett on their current schedule

Can't Mitch just say "we are clarifying the rules and can now vote on Zoom" or does that need to be an in person vote too?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

evilweasel posted:

What are the chances the Senate delays? If senators start dropping due to quarantine it will be interesting.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

To the extent that the White House doctors can keep Trump from dying, they can at least push his demise into the future after the election. He'd probably be incapacitated if it reached that point and Pence would be running the show. That'd be a good thing because it means Trump's not around to contest the results or encourage violence.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Honestly astonished that theres a real possibility that they push off the supreme court nomination because GOP senators getting sick from a virus they decided wasnt a big deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

"I don't need to wear a seatbelt, I'm not getting into an accident at this very moment"