Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Still seems strange that if I catch someone as part of a murder plot, I can't do anything to them except imprison them... revoking titles is tyrannical. Executing them is tyrannical... i mean they tried to kill me!

But anyway the end is in sight :unsmith:

The Byzantines are friends with me, even though they have a lot of nominal territory especially in the Slavic regions, they are relatively weak, and I had to keep beating back their vassals from taking chunks out of North Africa while I was consolidating that area.

In the east, I have pushed the old Arabian Empire out of Africa. I think I have one more war to get that little piece of Sinai so I can finally claim the Kingdom of Egypt. Meanwhile the other Ash'ari who haven't been directly fighting me have consolidated into a strong power. Good for them!

In the west, the Muslims have completely fractured. I pushed the Empire of Hispania completely out, and the breakaway Umayyads are a hardline Quranist sect so I don't think it should be any trouble seizing their lands (though I have to remember the Canaries are part of Africa). The Adhavids seem like a significant power though, they have just a toehold in Africa but they have a pretty big army, drawing from their heartlands of... Ireland and Scotland? :confused:

Somehow even though I have a matrilineal marriage all my children are of a different house within my dynasty? I'm not sure how that happened and I hope it doesn't cause problems later. I have two universities but I haven't been able to see the benefits because they are in my vassals' territory and also because I have octogenarians, by the time succession has happened my heir's children are already adults lol, does it get applied across the realm or do I have to have direct involvement somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Man, sadistic is a great trait. You can stress out as much as you like, just torture some prisoners to get your stress level down.
Some of the torture descriptions are very :stonk: though.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Iceland is controlled by a Lollard Andalusian emirate, now there's a story there

Also I can't usurp a title that covers half of the Maghreb because the person who holds that title has one county in Scotland and is fighting a war lol

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Oct 2, 2020

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

PittTheElder posted:

I really hate that claimants have zero interest in having their claims pressed. As far as I can tell nobody will ever accept an invitation to court, even if they lack a good reason not to.
Well, some of them will leave if you don't press their claims. And yeah it can be a pain trying to steal someone to come to your court, i spent ages fabricating a hook, only for them to become a vassal in the meantime, which means they definitely won't leave!

Also, I was so close to walking into a Game Over, as I noticed that my Daura player heir had no kids of her own at 39. Managed to land her so she could get some consorts of her own (since apparently her husband wasn't doing the job??) I feel like there should be a warning saying "your player heir has no heirs and is reaching infertility age soon."

Her siblings had mysteriously all changed to a different Dynasty, which is weird because the father was married matrilineally...

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Somehow even though I have a matrilineal marriage all my children are of a different house within my dynasty?
Yeah same. Unsure if intended or a bug. Happened to only half the children though.

PancakeTransmission fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Oct 2, 2020

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
is Europa Universalis in a good place right now? i feel like continuing the paradox trend

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

A God drat Ghost posted:

I'm pretty sure this is just badly written text - the secret is that Mafalda had a lovechild with Gauthier, and a second with Hildoen. Not that she is her own parent. I know because I have 4 secret bastards with my spymaster lover and that same text shows up 4 times on both myself and my spymaster.

It's also possible that someone fabricated the secret using that one intrigue perk, so I'd say it's possible for a single person to legitimately have several secrets that can't all be true.

Nuclear War posted:

is Europa Universalis in a good place right now? i feel like continuing the paradox trend

Yeah, it's really good. Less characterful, more "you are the country and you paint the map your colour" than CK.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Be prepared to EU4 UI being a mess compared to CK3. If you haven't played since release it's hard to tell which parts of the UI are important and why. Like province development is a small part of the province view and it's probably the most important non-military thing you should do. It's also less oriented on casual chill out in a historical sandbox, game mechanics facilitate competition between nations pejoratively called "map-painting". Great game though.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

My last two rulers died of natural causes...at 21 and 29. That doesn’t seem natural!!

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
Does the Pope just disappear if Catholicism collapses too much? There's a handful of Catholic counties in my game and no rulers following it as far as I know, and in the religions menu it doesn't have a head of faith any more.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

a fatguy baldspot posted:

My last two rulers died of natural causes...at 21 and 29. That doesn’t seem natural!!

Hey, that's what this totally not forged death certificate says, and who are you to question medieval paperwork? Scrollwork. Whatever.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Daktar posted:

Does the Pope just disappear if Catholicism collapses too much? There's a handful of Catholic counties in my game and no rulers following it as far as I know, and in the religions menu it doesn't have a head of faith any more.

He disappears if he has no land, so unless one of those countries is Rome, he'll vanish

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Azhais posted:

He disappears if he has no land, so unless one of those countries is Rome, he'll vanish

this is not true, I had a landless pope declare crusades on me for centuries as a Messalian

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
Wow, that's incredibly different from CK2. Nice to have a way to stop the constant crusades that can't be defeated because there's no one to siege.

Also I wish there was a way to move holy sites for a heresy. The only reason my empire got so huge in my current game is because I was fighting my way across half the world to secure them all. Maybe make it cost a shitload of piety and a couple of decades to complete.

Daktar fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Oct 2, 2020

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Inheritance seems a little screwy after the patch. My ruler died in a hunting accident (an actual accident) and her heir was 16, no kids. She had like 6 kids, including three with the Pope. But when the heir took over, it said he had no heir of his dynasty, and that his heir was his landless father... even though he had five brothers and sisters.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

A God drat Ghost posted:

I'm pretty sure this is just badly written text - the secret is that Mafalda had a lovechild with Gauthier, and a second with Hildoen. Not that she is her own parent. I know because I have 4 secret bastards with my spymaster lover and that same text shows up 4 times on both myself and my spymaster.

I don't know that this is necessarily true, unless the disputed heritage thing or secrets can target the person as the parent?

I've definitely gotten several people who were listed in their genealogy as their own parent before and I assumed something was broken somewhere. Did Find secret and so-and-so is their own parent, but I couldn't blackmail them so it was just odd.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

keep in mind that ceertain religions get the "Destroy the Papacy" decision

it destroys the Papacy title and removes the pope as head of state of catholicism, but does not destroy the religion itself

that is likely what Daktar was seeing

AFAIK this is the ONLY way for the Papacy to stop existing - but it might be destroyed if Catholicism is made into a "dead" religion?

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

Synnr posted:

I don't know that this is necessarily true, unless the disputed heritage thing or secrets can target the person as the parent?

I've definitely gotten several people who were listed in their genealogy as their own parent before and I assumed something was broken somewhere. Did Find secret and so-and-so is their own parent, but I couldn't blackmail them so it was just odd.

Yeah but that would be a hell of a coincidence in my game, so I don't think so. Each time I had a new illegitimate child with my spymaster, I got another text like that on me with her name.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

In 1.0, I took all of the Pope's lands as an Orthodox ruler and never heard another peep out of him again. Catholicism was pathetically weak by that point though.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Excelzior posted:

keep in mind that ceertain religions get the "Destroy the Papacy" decision

it destroys the Papacy title and removes the pope as head of state of catholicism, but does not destroy the religion itself

that is likely what Daktar was seeing

AFAIK this is the ONLY way for the Papacy to stop existing - but it might be destroyed if Catholicism is made into a "dead" religion?

If you take the popes lands as a catholic and unland him, that also destroys the papacy.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

If I make the pope a vassal. Can I imprison and banish him to take the 30ish grand he has lying around?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Fighting the Byzantines is the best, they send an endless stream of landed knights at you to capture, almost all of which are wealthy enough to pay 300 gold in ransom (I think it's Golden Obligations that sets your ransom amount equal to the amount you get for Demand Payment?).

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

OctaMurk posted:

If you take the popes lands as a catholic and unland him, that also destroys the papacy.

:eyepop: hot drat

e:...can you banish him and rake in that sweet sweet pope dough?

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Oct 2, 2020

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Magil Zeal posted:

(I think it's Golden Obligations that sets your ransom amount equal to the amount you get for Demand Payment?).

I haven't seen that, but it would make that perk even more OP than it already is.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

binge crotching posted:

I haven't seen that, but it would make that perk even more OP than it already is.

I think it's because otherwise you could just release them in exchange for a hook, and then demand payment for the hook. You're getting the money either way might as well save the faff.

Though there are some rare cases where they refuse to be released in exchange for a hook.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
Having Fabricate Hooks and Demand Payments is a money machine. I've been ripping off rich Spaniards for the past century and at this point no one can stop me.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Magil Zeal posted:

Fighting the Byzantines is the best, they send an endless stream of landed knights at you to capture, almost all of which are wealthy enough to pay 300 gold in ransom (I think it's Golden Obligations that sets your ransom amount equal to the amount you get for Demand Payment?).

I just did this in a mid-game war but it was against France. I think I made something like 6-7k gold on ransoms. Fighting rich opponents owns real hard.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Is this... is this what Agincourt was like

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

disaster pastor posted:

I'm not exactly running wild in my own games, but the players/streamers I pay attention to are in agreement that the game is so easy it's almost a problem, because it's hard for them to find ways to make "just a game of CK3" interesting and they have to do either off-the-wall or clearly suboptimal stuff.

Then I must really loving suck. I had the entire of west africa, north africa and some of Italy and I'm still only fielding like 10k troops.
I used to play Ironman Ck2 and this definitely feels harder going Tribal - Feudal.

But I'm not messing with the hooks system beyond just side bits and as a non-catholic ruler I'm always suffering from having loving no money at all.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Speaking of ransoms. I noticed the ransom amounts are much lower with my current ruler. My previous ruler had the stewardship lifestyle, maybe that had something to do with it? Or am I just getting unlucky with my prisoners?
Like I used to be able to ransom princes etc for 190 gold and now I get maybe 50 gold?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

wasn't there something in the notes about Greedy no longer jacking up ransoms? might be related

e: checked, the note was about gifts. probably NOT related.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

shut up blegum posted:

Speaking of ransoms. I noticed the ransom amounts are much lower with my current ruler. My previous ruler had the stewardship lifestyle, maybe that had something to do with it? Or am I just getting unlucky with my prisoners?
Like I used to be able to ransom princes etc for 190 gold and now I get maybe 50 gold?

I'm pretty sure this is because of the (see previous posts) Golden Obligations perk, it seems to set the amount you get from ransoms to whatever amount you get for demanding payments. Without this perk it scales via importance/tier.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Now time for the half-century victory lap and/or everything blowing up

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Finally got this game on Steam. Question again on the realm/holding distinction: I'm going for an Alfred the Great run, poor Aethelred just bit it, and am planning out which counties and duchies to hold. I see that Canterbury Cathedral is a solid special building, but as it is a Temple holding, does that mean I need to break off from Catholicism in order to hold it and gain its bonuses?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The hell, my new heir that I'm playing is in his 50s with 8 kids, great.

All 8 of those kids have no kids or spouses, even into their 30s?

I'm glad I caught that my player heir was a woman who has amazing stats but was 38 with no kids lol

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

My game just had a pretty spicy situation, so a hundred years ago give or take a few decades, I used a Great Holy War to set up Jerusalem for the Bori. Established my dynasty in power there, gave them a safe border since I'd conquered Egypt, and they've been doing well, expanding reasonably to the southeast. Next two GHWs get redirected to areas in Spain, but the 4th time I decide to go for Syria, which is currently held by the Byzantines, the main power in the world that rivals my own strength (in theory, numbers-wise, I can confidently take them in a straight-up fight). Only a few months after the GHW is announced (before it commences), the Catholics decide to Crusade for Jerusalem at the same time. This means that the Pope and all of France/England are coming over too. It was exactly as much of a clusterfuck as you could imagine, with different armies splitting, merging, and going everywhere, very little siege being done just because it was just too much.

There were over 300 knights in that one single battle.

toasterwarrior posted:

Finally got this game on Steam. Question again on the realm/holding distinction: I'm going for an Alfred the Great run, poor Aethelred just bit it, and am planning out which counties and duchies to hold. I see that Canterbury Cathedral is a solid special building, but as it is a Temple holding, does that mean I need to break off from Catholicism in order to hold it and gain its bonuses?

Unfortunately, Canterbury Cathedral only applies its benefits to the whoever directly holds the barony, so the only way to get its benefits would be to make a custom Christian faith with lay clergy and directly control the temple holding in the province. When a building says "realm" it means the owner's realm.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The hell, my new heir that I'm playing is in his 50s with 8 kids, great.

All 8 of those kids have no kids or spouses, even into their 30s?

I'm glad I caught that my player heir was a woman who has amazing stats but was 38 with no kids lol

I had a firstborn failson who I didn't want to produce children but was ok with letting rule until he died as long as he was childless. I kept checking on him and his wife every year, and thought I was probably safe after she turned 40 without a single child.

Nope. Two separate births, then a third pregnancy - twins at age 44! Fuuuck. I just had to disinherit him in the end.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

eXXon posted:

I had a firstborn failson who I didn't want to produce children but was ok with letting rule until he died as long as he was childless. I kept checking on him and his wife every year, and thought I was probably safe after she turned 40 without a single child.

Nope. Two separate births, then a third pregnancy - twins at age 44! Fuuuck. I just had to disinherit him in the end.

As soon as I arranged a marriage for her she's had 4 kids in the past 4 years lol, I wonder if the patch messed up some of the marriage scripting. Also I still have had to cancel a bunch of my daughters going into non-matrilineal marriages that would end up pushing my dynasty out of duchies/kingdoms

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
Is there an easy way to see army comparisons when I get the "join ally in war" popup that doesn't require me to click around all their alliances adding up numbers?

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Now time for the half-century victory lap and/or everything blowing up

drat good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

lol but there is no end to history, somehow the King of Cyprus ended up my vassal? Now this is a thing

Is 1453 gonna end with the Fall of Constantinople...

Edit: Four years later, the state of the Med

I had to zoom out a bit because I now also somehow rule over the Duchy of Aleppo? How are these people entering the empire, I don't see any blood ties or inheritances lol

The most powerful innovation in this game continues to be Warp Gate technology, all these OPMs cannot deal with 12K crosswbowmen porting in and immediately assaulting their capitals. I am not even getting an Offensive War penalty because each individual war is like 30 days long...

The Byzantines have a contested succession and there is an 8-year-old on the throne, so I am hoping for more fragmentation

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 3, 2020