Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Love Melancholy Hill.

There's a manatee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

browsers castle
Dec 27, 2011

stev posted:

Love Melancholy Hill.

There's a manatee.

I want to live on that manatee hill, that song soothes the inner sea cow.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Best off-album track besides DoYaThing 13 Minute Version. Any true Gorillaz oldheads remember how hype this was? From when Plastic Beach was called Carousel?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STfF-BXI9a0

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQWT7fNrVqQ

That intro :discourse:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

hawowanlawow posted:

yeah and it's the worst

MODS

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The Chinese version of Dirty Harry on d-sides is one of the best things ever

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

net cafe scandal posted:

Best off-album track besides DoYaThing 13 Minute Version. Any true Gorillaz oldheads remember how hype this was? From when Plastic Beach was called Carousel?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STfF-BXI9a0
These were good times. I still prefer Stylo's demo to what we got

Also what the gently caress @ the Bobby Womack hate in here

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I legit tear up every time i listen to the cloud of unknowing. yall are monsters fr

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I legit tear up every time i listen to the cloud of unknowing. yall are monsters fr

I love it too, but I think the Damon version edges it for me, and I'd have preferred if it were used on the album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EjCbn-S4F0

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
The Bobby Womack songs are good

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Dangerous Person posted:

The Bobby Womack songs are good

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Cloud of unknowing is good. Stylo is bad.

I checked out the new song machine songs and the only good one is the new one with robert. I wish damon albarn still had an actual drum kit available to use on his music

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Cloud of unknowing is good. Stylo is bad.

I checked out the new song machine songs and the only good one is the new one with robert. I wish damon albarn still had an actual drum kit available to use on his music
There are live drums on most of the new songs. The Robert Smith one is one of the few exceptions.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Well that goes to show how good of attention I was paying! In an effort to be less negative I’ll say that while I def agree with net cafe scandal that humanz was unlistenable I want to say that humility was a nice song and probably Damon’s best bit of singing since demon days

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Well that goes to show how good of attention I was paying! In an effort to be less negative I’ll say that while I def agree with net cafe scandal that humanz was unlistenable I want to say that humility was a nice song and probably Damon’s best bit of singing since demon days

busted and blue is damons best vocal contribution since demon days

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The new single “The Pink Phantom” featuring Elton John and 6LACK is out in like 14 hours

I think at this point I’m going to wait until the album is out. I’ve heard 7 of the 17 songs and 10 is a great number of surprises to keep for release day.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The 6LACK verses really felt out of place on the first listen. A nice chill track though.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I really dig The Pink Phantom

As far as album enjoyment I'd say what I've come to understand is that I can like all of the albums but some albums take a little longer for me to come around on. I felt The Now Now was something closer to easy listening, with highs not quite as high as previous albums. Deluxe Humanz tracks 100% needed to be added to the main album, as that takes a good album to great. I got to see Plastic Beach live, so that's always going to rank high with me, with Demon Days holding court over "teenage nostalgia Shinjobi" pretty handily.

I remember being down on Humanz about a week after release, but I'll be damned if I'm not still listening to its tracks now without issue. Some albums just take some time with me.:shobon:

Edit: The Cloud of Unknowing still nearly brings me to tears.

Shinjobi fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 1, 2020

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

really the digging the new track, and I agree with Shinjobi that Cloud of Unknowing is a really gorgeous and effective piece of music

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

stev posted:

The 6LACK verses really felt out of place on the first listen. A nice chill track though.

I felt the same way. Loved the Elton and Damon vocals, though.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
The very "love song that's actually about death" vibes in this one

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
On subsequent listens I don't mind 6lack's verses as much. They have a decent flow to them that works within their own segments.

But goddamn do I feel bad for the guy. Dude's 28, got a chance to collab with the Gorillaz, which would be a career boost for most singers and songwriters if not a life goal for some, and who is he paired up against? Elton loving John. A dude who has been in the industry and at the top of his game for almost twice as long as you've been alive.

Alternatively: Dude got to loving collab with Elton John so wins all around.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Crain posted:

On subsequent listens I don't mind 6lack's verses as much. They have a decent flow to them that works within their own segments.

But goddamn do I feel bad for the guy. Dude's 28, got a chance to collab with the Gorillaz, which would be a career boost for most singers and songwriters if not a life goal for some, and who is he paired up against? Elton loving John. A dude who has been in the industry and at the top of his game for almost twice as long as you've been alive.

Alternatively: Dude got to loving collab with Elton John so wins all around.

Yeah they're not bad verses on their own. I think it's the autotune effects that don't really mesh well with the rest of the track.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

I think his voice, autotune and all, floats really well on the track. Meshes nicely to my ears. Clearly Damon thought so too, because some his backing vocals are autotuned as well.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I've liked or loved just about all the Song Machine songs so far other than "Friday 13th", which I thought was kind of dreadful

"The Pink Phantom" is very good but I too feel bad for 6LACK because I think he's good but seems so unnecessary on the track

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

I think 6lack's verse adds a real grounded element to the song while Damon largely harmonizes about summer lines and Elton John belts out stuff about diamond skies and peach highways

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Well I caved and listened to it, it’s very good and chill. Not my favourite so far but maybe number... 4?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Ok do it rank them

1. Desole
2. Aries
3. Pac Man
4. Pink Phantom
5. Momentary Bliss
6. Strange Times
7. How Far
8. Friday the 13th

Edit: 3 4 and 5 could really be switched around in any permutation

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

Hedrigall posted:

Ok do it rank them

Ok rankin' 'em.

1. Momentary Bliss
2. Strange Timez
3. Desolé
4. Aries
5. Pink Phantom
6. Pac Man
7. How Far
8. Friday the 13th

Friday the 13th is the only real stinker so far IMO, don't care for the lyrics or the autotune particularly in this song. Very excited about what Beck and St. Vincent have to offer. I've got the vinyl preordered, can't wait.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

Guess I'll be that guy

1. Friday 13th
2. Desole
3. Pac Man
4. The Pink Phantom
5. Momentary Bliss
6. Strange Timez
7. How Far?
8. Aries

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Havent processed the new song enough but

1. Aries
2. Desole
3. Friday 13th
4. Strange Timez

I dont really like any of the others. Also none of it is really Demon Days tier sadly. But im still hype.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

1. Momentary Bliss
2. Desolé
3. Aries
4. Pink Phantom
5. Pac Man
6. Strange Timez
7. How Far
8. Friday the 13th

I'm not going to read too much into the fact that my top three are the first three released. Momentary Bliss has become one of my all time favourite Gorillaz tracks though, it's so loving good.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
1. Pac Man
2. Desole
3. How Far
5. Strange Timez
4. Momentary Bliss
6. Friday the 13th
7. Aries

*switched 4 and 5*

Not listening to the new one till the album

"I'm stressing out I'm stressing out I'm stressing out" is the most classic Gorillaz sounding of anything in any of the songs imo

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 2, 2020

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
this album is very Humanz to me so far, which is not necessarily a bad thing, I like all Gorillaz albums

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

The Walrus posted:

this album is very Humanz to me so far, which is not necessarily a bad thing, I like all Gorillaz albums

I'm feeling a Plastic Beach style from it, not as much of a Gorillaz Mixtape as Humanz.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The more I watch the Pink Phantom video, the more I realize I dont mind 6LACK at all on the track, but he's not given much to visually do in the video and it's distracting as hell.

Still love listening to the song though

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Shinjobi posted:

The more I watch the Pink Phantom video, the more I realize I dont mind 6LACK at all on the track, but he's not given much to visually do in the video and it's distracting as hell.

Still love listening to the song though

Yeah, his part has grown on me but his part of the video sticks out like a sore thumb.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I don't think it helps that Elton is animated and 6LACK is the only live action thing in the video. I assume Elton wasn't available to be filmed or is isolating, but it's odd to see.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I think it was more they wanted to immortalize him in Jaime’s style. I love that Elton cartoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

I saw an interview that says they need permission to animate the collaborators, and Elton said yes. Even if 6lack said yes too, if you're making a video for this song on a very limited time and budget, you can probably only choose one of these people to fully animate, and I can't see a single reason not to choose Elton