Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

I thought askew had been performing pretty well? Clearly I'm mistaken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

He hasn't been awful, but he is being wildly outperformed by his teammate.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
He's 18th in the standings, only ahead of part timers and pay drivers.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Theris posted:

He hasn't been awful, but he is being wildly outperformed by his teammate.

Kind of expected, tbh. Pato has a lot more time in the car, as well as a lot more time in cars in general, with the season of PC that he did in IMSA, as well as his races in Super Formula and F2

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

harperdc posted:

Wasn't mentioned here but it's Hinchcliffe in the Andretti car now vacated by Veach for the remainder of the season (final three rounds).

Hrm.

It's weird that Veach isn't just bounced but bounced now -- you would've thought the money would have kept him in the seat at least until the end of the season.

Pruett is suggesting Hinchcliffe, as well as Castroneves and Bourdais, are in the cars for the last few 2020 races to salvage leader's circle funding https://racer.com/2020/09/25/indycar-silly-season-2020-ep-2/

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://racer.com/2020/09/28/indycar-to-test-aero-changes-to-promote-overtaking/

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

bennyfactor posted:

Pruett is suggesting Hinchcliffe, as well as Castroneves and Bourdais, are in the cars for the last few 2020 races to salvage leader's circle funding https://racer.com/2020/09/25/indycar-silly-season-2020-ep-2/

That makes more sense, the official line was that Veach stepped aside to allow them to prepare for next year, which unless they plan to keep Hinch is not what's happened.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

That makes more sense, the official line was that Veach stepped aside to allow them to prepare for next year, which unless they plan to keep Hinch is not what's happened.

yeah, sounds like it's a knife-fight to avoid last in the championship (22 guaranteed money, 23 regular cars). And it also sounds like Hinch is a distinct possibility for next year.

Askew might be that but also sounds like he's had concussion symptoms since the Indy 500 in August? which isn't good.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Practice 1 starts right now on Gold

TK is in the booth

also here is the 2021 Covid schedule

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
this is a loving awful schedule

where the gently caress is iowa

where the gently caress is richmond

why the gently caress are we racing for eddie loving gossage twice

why the gently caress are we racing the indy road course at all, let alone twice. they had better at least change the layout a bit, fucks sake

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
That schedule is pretty bad.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

lmfao

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

With a schedule like this, I might try to attend rounds 6-15 next year. Depends on COVID and the Canadian border being open. Sucks that we lost Richmond without even getting to race there, and Iowa was usually good too. Still, with how uncertain things are right now, I didn't expect any more than what we got. Let's see if America survives the winter.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

iowa is closing

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I had a lot of fun photographing at COTA, I'm sad to see it go :(

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Spaced God posted:

I had a lot of fun photographing at COTA, I'm sad to see it go :(

Well you are in luck let me tell you about the National Association of Stock Car Auto Racing

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cygni posted:

iowa is closing

Wait what?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

iospace posted:

Wait what?

yup. Miller reported that NASCAR is closing it unless Penske decides to buy it, which apparently isn't likely.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Iowa is a cool short track so of course Nascar is closing it

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Cygni posted:

iowa is closing

what in the gently caress

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

algebra testes posted:

Iowa is a cool short track so of course Nascar is closing it

Fontana died for this

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
The IMS road course is worse than COTA, and oh boy is that a sentence to have to type out

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
With the looming economic depression is it the end of Indycar?

[Five minutes of commercials]

So that's my take.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Dear thread,

Please be advised that there is a race TODAY and also TOMORROW, and NOT Sunday.

Further, please be advised that todays race is on fuckin USA NETWORK because COVID or something!

Its weird as poo poo! I know! You should hang out in the Discord for other breaking news! Ok! Cya!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The race was Very Good.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Cygni posted:

The race was Very Good.

good think it was on USA at 3:30 on a weekday

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

IMS had big zip ties with DO NOT USE signs on all the unsold stadium seats in the penthouse sections, so that there wouldn't be anyone in a seat next to your group. When we got there earlier, there were two people sitting directly behind our seats, who told us that they were instructed to "sit wherever" and that the zip ties can be easily torn off, as they had done in order to sit there. They suggested we go sit elsewhere, so as to maintain distancing. I told them to gently caress off, and after same grumbling, they did. I don't know what it is about IMS road course races, but it seems like every other time I attend one, some jackasses try to tell me they've claimed my seat and to go somewhere else.

Otherwise, the race was alright. Good to see Herta and Veekay up front, and we nearly had a couple yellows from Ferrucci pulling his signature move and then Power slapping his rear left against the wall, but nothing crazy. B penthouse is decent seats.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

race owned but also suprisingly there wasnt a single commercial break in the last like, idk 20 loving laps of the race, ?????????

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Basticle posted:

race owned but also suprisingly there wasnt a single commercial break in the last like, idk 20 loving laps of the race, ?????????

They came back between commercials for less than a minute at some point, sooooo

Race ruled, which is very surprising for that track. Might need to keep one on the calendar this time of year, and maybe give them another 50 seconds of P2P.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

*looks at results, marco last*

:hmmyes:

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Yeah Marco had a fire of some sort. It was real cool.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Basticle posted:

They have a lot of commercials to get through but they always make an effort to get through them all so the last major chunk of the race is without interruption.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

WindyMan posted:

They have a lot of commercials to get through but they always make an effort to get through them all so the last major chunk of the race is without interruption.

It defintely dosent seem like that.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Another good race today. I think Herta could've challenged for the lead at the end if Daly didn't make him check up by changing his line into turn 1 while Colton was going for the overtake. Getting tired of watching Power win here tho.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Race 2 was a decent and good race. Nothing was going to top Race 1 but the finish there was in doubt for a while.

Points scenarios for St. Pete, which is NOT a double points race:

quote:

Dixon - 502
Newgarden - 470 (-32)

Dixon holds wins (4 vs 3or4) and 2nds (2 vs 1) tiebreakers over Newgarden

Newgarden - 1st is 50pts, +1 for lap led = 51pts
Dixon - 12th = 18pts (-33)
Newgarden wins by 1pt

Newgarden leads most laps (+3) and wins race = 53pts
| Dixon finishes 10th = 20 pts, (-33)
| Newgarden wins by 1pt
|
| Dixon finishes 9th = 22pts (-31)
| Dixon wins by 1pt

Newgarden - 2nd (no bonus points) = 40pts
Dixon - 22nd = 8pts, (-32)
Points tied, Dixon wins

Bonuses:
+1 for pole
+1 for lap led (always given when you win race)
+2 for most laps led

Easiest thing for Jnew is to win the race and hope Dixon stays mid-pack all race. The 2+1 points for most laps led will buy Newgarden two more spots to finish ahead of Dixon. Him getting pole is almost unimportant because the extra point would only put Newgarden into a tie with Dixon in his winning scenarios, which is no good for Newgarden.

And remember, Penske will have a 4th car with Scotty Mac at St. Pete.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Double postin' for the other end of the important points battle.

https://twitter.com/RACERmag/status/1312533782549811201

Very frustrating that they didn't make a clear table of points for this bottom-of-the-standings battle in this article, but whatever. Entrant points are the same as driver points, complete with bonus points, just pegged to the entry (team/car number combo) instead of the driver.

Before Harvest GP weekend:

21.) Andretti #98 - 153 (+2)
22.) Foyt #14 - 152 (+1)
23.) ECR #20 - 151 (-1)

After Harvest GP weekend:

21.) ECR #20 179 (+13)
22.) Foyt #14 - 173 (+7)
23.) Andretti #98 - 166 (-7)

Only the top 22 get the Leaders' Circle bux, so 23rd isn't the place you want to be after St. Pete.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

imagine how poo poo a driver you gotta be to be driving for one of the best teams in the sport and being behind two bottom-tier cars that shift drivers around depending on event

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Lol daddy’s gonna have to go out of pocket for his failson in 2021.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

sportsgenius86 posted:

Lol daddy’s gonna have to go out of pocket for his failson in 2021.

Um Marco owns that car so I'm sure he has to take 100% responsibility for making up that money.

e: also LOL that he's behind the car formerly driven by the guy that got fired amicably left the team.

gret fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Oct 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

i openly root for marco now. he sucks, sure, but without him there is 1 less car on the grid (this is not an exaggeration, the US Concrete deal is only because of him personally) and he is friends with Ice T who is the best Twitter user.

tbh in race 1 this weekend, he was running top 10 until his car exploded. dude has had zero luck this year on top of his regular lack of ability.