Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Spooky Halloween Outfit Ideas
This poll is closed.
The guy from Hades 37 7.76%
The priest from Faith 22 4.61%
A Corpse from Microsoft's Graveyard 27 5.66%
The Ouya 62 13.00%
Google Stadia (scariest option) 73 15.30%
Mr. Mosquito 31 6.50%
Did someone say Bowsette? BECAUSE I AM PRETTY SURE I HEARD SOMEONE SAY BOWSETTE 122 25.58%
Wario (nude) 62 13.00%
Wario (formal) 33 6.92%
Captain N 8 1.68%
Total: 304 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

cheetah7071 posted:

Strong disagree with that list

I can't find the list I made earlier but I put WDW and BBH near the top and TTC and RR near the bottom

hey opinions are like mario 64 levels. some are better than others but they all involve collecting six stars in a variety of platforming challenges, one of which is always collecting eight red coins usually in a localized area. that's what opinions are like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

oddium posted:

hey opinions are like mario 64 levels. some are better than others but they all involve collecting six stars in a variety of platforming challenges, one of which is always collecting eight red coins usually in a localized area. that's what opinions are like

one of my requirements for a good level is that they actually have a variety of challenges. Like one of my knocks against RR is that it has two pairs of stars which are identical for 90% of their runs: Swingin' in the Breeze is the same as Tricky Triangles, and Cruiser Crossing the Rainbow is the same as Somewhere over the Rainbow. It's practically a 4-star course

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

yeah 4 stars out of 4, critically acclaimed

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Also there was some talk about Mario's movement in the last thread but I'm now playing Galaxy after getting 120 shines and I think Sunshine Mario feels better

His movement in Sunshine is so snappy/I love the spin jump (it covers so much vertical and horizontal distance and you get an instant triple jump if you jump as you land!!) and playing Galaxy I miss the dive from Sunshine/64. FLUDD owns - you get neat stuff like bodysliding on a stream of water to cross flat areas quickly and the hover nozzle gives kids some leeway if they're bad at platforming but lets better players combine it with the spin jump/flip jump/wall jumps for little shortcuts all over the place (it's cool that you can do stuff like reach the pianta village pipe without the rocket nozzle)

i guess it's not that Galaxy feels worse - just slower or weightier or something and missing a couple moves I liked (but with some fun new stuff like the long jump returning/ice skating/tossing star bits/all the gravity gimmicks - the spin slows Mario's momentum in a way I never really found satisfying though)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I will never be able to forgive sunshine mario for not having a long jump

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think a long jump would've helped the FLUDD-less Mario sections feel a lot more natural but dive - jump or spin jump cover just as much distance!!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

Strong disagree with that list

I can't find the list I made earlier but I put WDW and BBH near the top and TTC and RR near the bottom

I need to hear your justification for Wet Dry World being “up there”

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jay Rust posted:

I need to hear your justification for Wet Dry World being “up there”

love the aesthetic, it has six fully distinct stars, plenty of ways to get to various parts of the map other than the "intended" route, and the painting gimmick is neat

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Wey Dry World was probably my favorite as a kid.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I'm hoping my copy of Squadrons comes in the mail today or tomorrow, the buzz sounds pretty good!

In the meantime tonight's ramen: broth from chicken and uncured bacon (a mediocre fill-in for pork belly to be sure), basic soy sauce broth with ginger and gochujang. The thing I'm trying is working on, as "The Ramen Lord" recommends, aromatic oils. This one will be based on basil-garlic-sriracha-infused pepper flakes, heated in toasted sesame oil. I will be tossing some bok choy and broccolini in part of it for the garnish.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Awesome Animals posted:

Wey Dry World was probably my favorite as a kid.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

When you see Minecraft Steve

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I never got past the basement area of Mario 64 as a kid and the red coin area of Tiny Huge Island sucks rear end it's so terrible with stick drift

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Squadrons didn't come in today.

On the other hand

Three kinds of fat may have been almost too much lol. The flavor profile overall was very good, though I think I'm just gonna need more chilis to get the kind of heat I'm looking for. It was very rich and getting closer to the feel of restaurant ramen, though at the same time it led to the same thing I have with restaurant ramen that it's great while you're eating the noodles and other elements but it's a bit much to drink up the rest when it's all just broth. I have had good luck with saving the broth, thickening it up with cornstarch, and using it as stir-fry sauce though.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

hmmmmm Crokinole

Will take better pictures once I've had a chance to wax it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

"similar in various ways to pitchnut, carrom, marbles, shove ha'penny, with elements of shuffleboard and curling"

This seems like satire, is it fun

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It is incredibly fun. I know I walk out the SUSD video on Crokinole whenever someone asks, but they do a super good job of explaining it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMKzeg78peg

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzmSKZhmGvs

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Infinitum posted:

hmmmmm Crokinole

I should have gone with the rosewood over maple, that looks gorgeous.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Infinitum posted:

It is incredibly fun. I know I walk out the SUSD video on Crokinole whenever someone asks, but they do a super good job of explaining it.

hundreds of dollars... what fraction of a new console did this cost

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Harrow posted:

I'm never letting go of this avatar until the day the forums finally die their final death

It's v good

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
What are the hidden gems of the Playstation 1.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Infinitum posted:

this is the loving fairy bread of board games

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Bogart posted:

What are the hidden gems of the Playstation 1.

i've never played it but i've always wanted to try loony tunes sheep raider

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Since it was the system I played it on, Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Infinitum posted:

I didn't anticipate the comparison to Neon Genesis Evangelion.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

oddium posted:

i've never played it but i've always wanted to try loony tunes sheep raider

Sheep Raider was really cool

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the pc version would be the one you want to play though

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I reached the credits in hades but I feel like there's still dozens of hours of story content ahead of me, and probably hundreds of hours of gameplay content

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Broke: using strategic use of missiles to chunk down large groups of enemies while your flak cannons deal with small, low-HP hordes and then utilizing high-maneuverability flying mechs with Leg Spike as your boss killers

Woke: Place a sentry gun every turn

You're not talking about hades are you? :confused:

Infinitum posted:

hmmmmm Crokinole

I haven't thought about that since my great aunt died. I half thought it was something she just made up.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Acerbatus posted:

You're not talking about hades are you? :confused:

I haven't thought about that since my great aunt died. I half thought it was something she just made up.

No 13 Sentinels

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Are you all kidding about the Looney Tunes game? I assumed it was just more shovelware nonsense.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Bogart posted:

Are you all kidding about the Looney Tunes game? I assumed it was just more shovelware nonsense.

No it's like, an environmental puzzle game where you have to use stuff like disguises and traps to get the sheep

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

It came out very late in the console's lifespan, like a year after the PS2's western launch, so it got mostly ignored as a shovelware thing. I remember some UK PS magazine reviewed it and gave it high marks. It's not an all-time great but it's up there as a unique title.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lwmeSa6-BI

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

ErrEff posted:

It came out very late in the console's lifespan, like a year after the PS2's western launch, so it got mostly ignored as a shovelware thing. I remember some UK PS magazine reviewed it and gave it high marks. It's not an all-time great but it's up there as a unique title.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lwmeSa6-BI

The person watching that is absolutely infuriatingly bad but I think the stealth aid of the moving head was a really cool idea

e: it also doesn't feature any of the game's music which absolutely rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o09Vygd5DHE

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Oct 3, 2020

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

That's a very menacing Wile E Coyote on the cover

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

That's a very menacing Wile E Coyote on the cover

It's technically Ralph Wolf, who looks exactly like Wile E. despite not even being a coyote. Usually he's drawn with a red nose as the only difference, and sometimes his eyelids are a different color.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oh right it says it right on the cover too

Is that the cartoon where they fight each other but then at the end of the day they clock out and they're friends outside of work

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh right it says it right on the cover too

Is that the cartoon where they fight each other but then at the end of the day they clock out and they're friends outside of work

Yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

fatalis report: this big idiot dragon is still not dead but i did get to see the dragonator finally used on him

will try again tomorrow evening. please send thoughts and prayers for my pubby groups