Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

literally this big posted:

True, but would I really come back to XCOM 1 after XCOM 2?

I would come back to an EW run after XCOM 2, yes

I probably will soon, in fact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I prefer ew personally. 2 just takes all the issues with constant interruptions and drives them to the moon. It just feels stressful in comparison.

Plus, you know ragdoll enemies that you can punch over railings, into explosives or through walls. Xcom 1 mechs are the best and an all mech squad is comically broken.

Plus I cant play 2 on my phone.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

XCOM 1's my fave b/c it was $10 on sale with no need to buy additional DLC.

I'm sure XCOM 2 was also at some point but not when I had ten bucks in my dang pocket

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Finish your 1 run of EU so you’ve got a test drive on the mechanics and drop $30 on EW if that’s a disposable dollar amount for you. I’d say I’ve gotten well more than $30 of entertainment out of EW. There really are things about xcom 1 EW that you don’t get from xcom 2...but there are a lot of QoL things that 2 does that could make going back...tedious? Reloads and things like that.

I also don’t think I’d want to go from conceal/timer mechanics that promote aggressive play back to sniper nests and overwatch creep, for example.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Punching a Thin Man into a truck that subsequently exploded is one of the most satisfying things I’ve ever done in a game.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Icon Of Sin posted:

Punching a Thin Man into a truck that subsequently exploded is one of the most satisfying things I’ve ever done in a game.

yeah, the only good thing about playing xcom 2 first is that you get to go from SPARKS to MECS and not the disappointment of going the other way around.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
Man, I missed having MECs so much in 2. Exo suits just aren't the same!

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

EW's cool unique stuff is definitely worth a play, even after 2 or even WotC

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
OK, glad to hear it. I'll probably go EU -> (wait for Steam sale on 2/EW) -> XCOM 2 -> EW then. I was just worried that EW would be too much of a 'downgrade' after playing 2.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.
On the subject of XCOM 2 being moddable...

There's a good mod for X-COM 1994-style power armor, but does anyone know of a mod that adds in anything close to 1994-style jumpsuits? Some of the Metal Gear Solid stuff is close, but doesn't quite have that 'wear this on the mission but give it back to the janitor if you survive' vibe

Please help, my recruits do not look dopey enough.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
I got the Mechatronic Warfare mod and it vastly improves the SPARKs. Highly recommend.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
How moddable is XCOM1? Is there enough good stuff out there to warrant a modded second playthrough?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

How moddable is XCOM1? Is there enough good stuff out there to warrant a modded second playthrough?

Not really, its almost impossible to mod so the only one that was ever really fully created was Long War which suffers from the usual excesses 'hardtype' mods have.

Its popularity is what led to the vibrant and open modding scene XCOM 2 has though, so I definitely give it credit for that.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Sweater Bradford is the superior Bradford.

Sometimes I just prefer the professional secret organization to the gang of barely functional alcoholics, pulled out of a Halloween party that Xcom2 guerilla ops inevitably spirals into.

Also the body horror implications of EW, you sign up for some pretty radical surgery: "we'll just inject you with this thing that'll make you ejaculate drugs from every pore in your skin when you get exited" to "what do you mean are these amputations necessary? look at that big shiny mech - don't you want to punch little grey men into pulp?"

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

There's a couple other minor mods for XCOM1 besides Long War. Commander's Choice lets you choose a class when soldiers promote, and I know there's oneother that adds some more variety tothe skill trees, but yeah its not nearly as moddable as 2.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

skaianDestiny posted:

I got the Mechatronic Warfare mod and it vastly improves the SPARKs. Highly recommend.

It is pretty much a mandatory required mod, along with things like EvacAll and the new promotion screen by default mod.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

True, but would I really come back to XCOM 1 after XCOM 2?

For sure. The truth is EU, EW and WOTC are just different board games under the same name. Each one is loaded to the brim with different sets of tools to play with that are all fun and interesting in the right circumstances.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Also someone mentioned the iOS port. Playing EW on the iPad is a great thing to keep on hand and only weirdos complain about the shrunken maps that cut off the parts nobody used in the first place.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Zigmidge posted:

Also someone mentioned the iOS port. Playing EW on the iPad is a great thing to keep on hand and only weirdos complain about the shrunken maps that cut off the parts nobody used in the first place.

It's not just shrunken maps, the map pool itself is a decent chunk smaller. Its especially noticeable in the lack of council mission types.

But yes it's still a really fun port for on the go and letting that be the reason not to grab it is silly.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Splorange posted:

Sweater Bradford is the superior Bradford.

Sometimes I just prefer the professional secret organization to the gang of barely functional alcoholics, pulled out of a Halloween party that Xcom2 guerilla ops inevitably spirals into.

Also the body horror implications of EW, you sign up for some pretty radical surgery: "we'll just inject you with this thing that'll make you ejaculate drugs from every pore in your skin when you get exited" to "what do you mean are these amputations necessary? look at that big shiny mech - don't you want to punch little grey men into pulp?"

Yeah, I actually really liked the "how much of our humanity do we have to give up to beat them?" theme that pervades that game.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Akratic Method posted:

Yeah, I actually really liked the "how much of our humanity do we have to give up to beat them?" theme that pervades that game.

Yes, I'm sort of blanking on clear themes in XCom2 + WOTC. Remind me again what they were?

Don't get me wrong, I love the sequel to bits. I'm just a hundred years old on the inside. It took me awhile to not feel overwhelmed when tackling War of the Chosen the first time, so much new poo poo to manage. So it was quite an uphill trek before I finally felt like I could control the flow of the missions or get out in time when RNGsus decided that's quite enough.

Not an original sentiment, but for me, the point when the game play goes from semi-random dice rolls to a puzzle game with push-your luck mechanics - is when the most pleasurable flow-like game play state occurs.

Xcom2 gives more tools to solve the problems, but perhaps in a more scattershot manner. Eg. psi soldiers aren't a linear albeit branched upgrade - but rather something I end up investing in when I have basically already won the campaign and just want new fun ways of murdering aliens. Whereas in EU/EW they likely are the lynch pin of how you do funny xeno cleansing by necessity.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
Someone had mentioned a good cosmetic replacement mod for the XCOM 2 energy weapons that made them look more like magdriver type guns. I can't seem to find the post though. Anyone have any good suggestions?

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

Splorange posted:

Yes, I'm sort of blanking on clear themes in XCom2 + WOTC. Remind me again what they were?

Cool rebel punks killing ESTABLISHMENT THUGS to take down THE MAN (who are ALIENS)

Also there's a tiny hint of unknowingly unleashing a greater threat

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Anyway here's the only mod that matters for XCOM 2.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2105749504

quote:

Chiseled rock hard abs for your Xcom girl operators. Recently it was brought to my attention that no one had made a mod like this in the 4+ years now that Xcom 2 has been out, so i figured i'd take on the challenge as a fun little experiment.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Wrong, idiot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8oER-NRMKQ

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

While I was initially intrigued the first time I saw it, I was immensely disappointed at the gratuitousness of it leaving the guys more and more naked. I'd been hoping it would have allowed me to make more muscular soldiers for my character pool while still keeping them fully armored, but that mod basically exists to satisfy some sort of hulking muscle-fetish. And no, I'm not just asspulling that either, I did some research into it and was very discouraged by what I found.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Counterpoint: I'm a lesbian and extremely buff dudes does gently caress all for me.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

skaianDestiny posted:

Counterpoint: I'm a lesbian and extremely buff dudes does gently caress all for me.

Conceded.

BlazetheInferno posted:

While I was initially intrigued the first time I saw it, I was immensely disappointed at the gratuitousness of it leaving the guys more and more naked. I'd been hoping it would have allowed me to make more muscular soldiers for my character pool while still keeping them fully armored, but that mod basically exists to satisfy some sort of hulking muscle-fetish. And no, I'm not just asspulling that either, I did some research into it and was very discouraged by what I found.

no yeah thats literally exactly what it is

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

I think you'll find that the most important mod of all is actually https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1135362293

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

You're in the right ballpark, but the best mod is actually this voice: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1674474913

The line delivery for "Goodbye grenade!" cracks me up every time.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Now now, folks.

Are we all forgetting the mod that gave this topic its title for a good while?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1629631238

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I know EU/EW was hard to mod but if there's one mod I desperately wish existed, it'd be photobooth for EW

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Is there an XCOM mod where they're just average out of shape middle aged bodies?

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

doctorfrog posted:

Is there an XCOM mod where they're just average out of shape middle aged bodies?

every time it tries to show you one of your troopers, quickly turn off your monitor

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Like, I want XFLCOM

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

doctorfrog posted:

Like, I want XFLCOM

Yes please

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

doctorfrog posted:

Like, I want XFLCOM
Wouldn't that just be Blood Bowl?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Robot Hobo posted:

I want XCOM Blood Bowl. Or some other "sport" using XCOM characters.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Robot Hobo posted:

NFL street but with xcom cosmetics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Okay, where's my version for Chimera Squad?