Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

algebra testes posted:

In Mum's basement and LAX simultaneously.

If the current thread weren't only a day old...

And only on the second page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Kunabomber posted:

For anyone that just has a joystick like I did, the T16000m TWCS Throttle is in stock at B&H.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1331331-REG/thrustmaster_2960754_twcs_throttle.html

B&H are good people, I shop them pretty much exclusively for my camera gear. Just be aware they are run by ultra-orthodox Jews and their website won't take orders on most Jewish holidays.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Ah, it's right after Yom Kippur. I'm good :)

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Kunabomber posted:

For anyone that just has a joystick like I did, the T16000m TWCS Throttle is in stock at B&H.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1331331-REG/thrustmaster_2960754_twcs_throttle.html

drat I'm really tempted but I want that Airbus pack even more.. Anyone have any clue when that set restocks? I have seen nothing on it :(

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Shogunner posted:

drat I'm really tempted but I want that Airbus pack even more.. Anyone have any clue when that set restocks? I have seen nothing on it :(

I've heard rumors that the Airbus pack has some major design deficiencies (detents not lining up with the detents in the throttle axis ingame) so it's super embargoed right now.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
I jumped on this as fast as possible, for some reason there's a glut of T16000m dual joysticks but the throttles are hard to find. I've been just using the FCS for the past few weeks and it's been agonizing.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Buff Hardback posted:

I've heard rumors that the Airbus pack has some major design deficiencies (detents not lining up with the detents in the throttle axis ingame) so it's super embargoed right now.

Really? poo poo. Maybe I'll buy this throttle then. Way better than just flying with my 3d extreme and will probably satisfy the craving I have for the Honeycomb stuff. Hopefully I can pick up the matching flight stick before the years over too

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Shogunner posted:

Really? poo poo. Maybe I'll buy this throttle then. Way better than just flying with my 3d extreme and will probably satisfy the craving I have for the Honeycomb stuff. Hopefully I can pick up the matching flight stick before the years over too

The reverser doesn't work right apparently too, but also that is probably fixable in software, but if there's no way to map the hardware detents neatly to the in-game axis without doing some stretching and shrinking of the axis it'll be real messy

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
edit: nvm they are only taking preorders

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Cojawfee posted:

Having a trim wheel on my t16000 hotas is pretty nice. But I do sometimes accidentally spin it when putting my hand on the throttle and my plane suddenly noses down.

I had that mapped too at first but it seemed way too twitchy. Like, I generally only need a degree or two one way or the other, but one notch over and my pitch is 10 degrees from the horizon. Now the dial is the speed brake and I just trim with the hat.

Also the slider on the stick is mapped to trim for me, but I don't really use it unless I want to correct the autopilot going stupid because it too, is way too much too fast.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
Watching reviews for the TWCS throttle and everyone's saying it's slide function is notchy / not smooth. Any of you having the same issue?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

skooma512 posted:

I had that mapped too at first but it seemed way too twitchy. Like, I generally only need a degree or two one way or the other, but one notch over and my pitch is 10 degrees from the horizon. Now the dial is the speed brake and I just trim with the hat.

Also the slider on the stick is mapped to trim for me, but I don't really use it unless I want to correct the autopilot going stupid because it too, is way too much too fast.

I had issues until I realized that the game was putting a deadzone on it. I removed the deadzone, since there isn't a centering spring, and then I flattened the curve a bit and it's great now.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Any chance someone will make software for this that will integrate into flight sim?

https://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/14236

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

Any chance someone will make software for this that will integrate into flight sim?

https://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/14236

flight sims aside that is how a smartwatch should look, not the ugly rear end apple watch blob

incoherent light
Aug 15, 2014
1CA4 looks... bigger from the air.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Europe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fG831GaPtw

Edit: this doesn't look like an update. Just another trailer

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 2, 2020

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Europe update patch notes:
-added 40 custom airports in Europe
-added 60 new hand crafted landmarks and surrounding scenery

Known issues:
-flying below 3000ft or above 5000ft in Europe results in a crash
Workaround: set clock to 12:00 utc and count backwards from 10 after starting the battery and then open the VFR map twice

-autopilot tries to fly you exclusively to Toronto Billy Bishop whenever enabled
-workaround: plan flights that end in Toronto

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Did they put in the forest cities? They call them forest cities. The trees explode.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Known issues:
-autopilot tries to fly you exclusively to Toronto Billy Bishop whenever enabled
-workaround: plan flights that end in Toronto

Seems like a feature my dude :)

come enjoy the sights, and a great airport+approach.

eeme
Oct 31, 2007

Whatever. Let's go get tacos.

Shogunner posted:

Watching reviews for the TWCS throttle and everyone's saying it's slide function is notchy / not smooth. Any of you having the same issue?

Mine felt good for the first two years or so, but I think the grease wore out and now small movements feel choppy. I could re apply grease to it but since it's not unusable-bad :effort:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Shogunner posted:

It wasn't out of the box for me, but silicone grease on the rails and fime tuning the tension and it's great. Smooth, but not jumpy, but will stay put where you left it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Shogunner posted:

Mine is a bit older, but yeah, it's not the smoothest movement.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I've been bush flying in the jungles of Papua New Guinea this evening. It's really beautiful and there are tons of interesting bush airstrips.

All of the airstrips I've tried so far can be landed on with a Cessna 208 Grand Caravan (unladen). But they may require coming in at 55 knots with full flaps while forward slipping over a bunch of trees. At least one of them has bugged terrain which makes it extra spicy, some have alternative landing spots nearby (roads, dry river beds). There are clusters where air strips are just a few miles apart.

Would anyone be interested in a bush rally? We could start at the aptly named WANX or WANK (better name, further away) air strips. Below are some notes I took during flight if that helps anyone.

quote:

Airplane: Cessna 208 Grand Caravan

General notes:
* Many of the runways are only approachable from one direction due to terrain features
* Many of the runways are sloped, in one case with a downward slope -- keep that in mind
* When departing from an airstrip, make a habit of pushing back as far as you can to use every foot of ground
* Flaps and the stall horn are your friend

=== TRIP 1: Flying west from WAVC ===
We are flying this route East to West in a Cessna 208 Grand Caravan.

WAVC
Short but sufficiently long paved runway. If in Cessna 208, mind trees at the end of the runway. Consider using flaps on take-off.

WAVG
When approached from North, you'll find a long paved runway with an upwards slope.

WANY
Mountaintop dirtstrip at 5200ft, upward slope when approaching from North. Come in slow and close.

WANZ
Mountaintop grass strip with upwards slope. Come in slow from the East. Beyond the western end of the runway there is a cliff that you can use to come to a stop if all else fails.

WAVA
Difficult approach. Approach only possible from South due to cliff at Northern edge. Runway descends. If not possible to touch down on numbers, apply full power and go around. Most if not all of runway needed to slow down, expect to use upward sloping terrain beyond runway proper to come to a stop.

Departure from airport looks dangerous but isn't. Apply full power and perhaps flaps. You may drop off the edge of the runway but that should not be a problem.

WABS (Sinak)
Short runway. Approach from east. Runway is slightly sloped, coming in from east gives gravity assist.

WAYL (Illaga)
Approach from east. Runway is slightly sloped, coming in from east gives gravity assist. Adventurous bush pilots can see a small road to the East of the airfield that might fit a STOL bush plane.

WADP (Beoga Bush)
Bush airstrip. Approach possible from East. Approach barely above stall. Dangerous bump just before the strip. Brace for hard landing.

WABA (Beoga proper)
Concrete runway. You have to approach the runway through the canyon in the East, preferrably from the northern direction. Runway will slope upwards, so gravity will assist.

WADJ (Beoga Bush)
Unpaved bush runway at the top of a mountain, at approx. 6400ft. Gravity assist possible if approaching from East.

WABJ (Hitadipa Bush)
Beautiful bush runway next to a river. Difficult landing. Best approach is from the east, closely following the river, at barely above treetop level, at barely above stall speed (say, 55 knots). Runway is seperated from the riverbank by just a few trees, so come in over these trees, using forward slip to manage speed. Watch out for the houses of either side of the runway. Upward slope of runway will help to get rid of speed. Before departing, make sure to push back as far as you can, you'll need the room. Leave the runway to the east, following the canyon to pick up speed and altitude.

In a pinch, the dry riverbed may serve as an alternative landing site.

WAYB (Sugapa)
Paved mountaintop runway at 7000ft. Approach from East. Runway will slope upward, giving gravity assist.

This is the end of this trip. There are still some interested bush runways to the West of here, but they're far off so we stop.

Bonus: WANK
It's a bit far off the route so I couldn't check it out yet. But using VOR, it's approximately on radial 330 from the TMK beacon, at the foot of the mountain range.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
My friend said the map data actually regressed and got even older. He's in the Bay Area.

I saw somewhere the next world update is USA and you can apply to be a VR tester, but it requires a WMR headset.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
So uh...are windsocks backwards?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I think I asked which direction wind is supposed to go right when the previous thread ended and it wasn't answered. I wouldn't be surprised if it's backwards. I was trying to prepare for crosswind landings and I thought I had to point the wrong way.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It appears to vary. My departure airport was incorrect, my arrival airport was correct. :iiam:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Next patch you'll have to fly upside down in the southern hemisphere I bet

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
gently caress I forgot about not opening the VFR map. I should unbind the V key. Crashed instantly. I was all set up to go VOR hopping.

It's probably hard to see via Imgur but the PFD and windsock are in complete opposite directions. I didn't think the wind was at my back for the takeoff but I'm not that good that I would really know for sure :P

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
From wikipedia: Wind direction is reported by the direction from which it originates.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Cojawfee posted:

From wikipedia: Wind direction is reported by the direction from which it originates.

Correct. Either the windsock is incorrect, or the PFD is AND tower is giving me the wrong runway.

edit: The nav map wind arrow on the MFD is incorrect too.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Oct 3, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't know if it works for every plane, but it works for the cub. You can tell which way the wind is blowing by going into the third person camera. The camera always points in the direction you are traveling. If you are flying into a crosswind, your plane rotates into the wind a bit, and causes you to look at it slightly from the side. I had a strong enough crosswind once that I went into third person and my plane was pointed about 20 degrees to the right and I was sliding sideways above the ground pretty much. I was flying along off to the left of the highway. I was pointed at the highway but kept flying alongside it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Charles posted:

I saw somewhere the next world update is USA and you can apply to be a VR tester, but it requires a WMR headset.

There's going to be 2 phases of the VR Beta test, phase 1 is for people with a WMR headset (so basically nobody) and phase 2 is for anyone else. Though you're not guaranteed to get in which sucks, also I'm not sure if you can get into the VR beta if you have a Steam copy.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

sigher posted:

There's going to be 2 phases of the VR Beta test, phase 1 is for people with a WMR headset (so basically nobody) and phase 2 is for anyone else. Though you're not guaranteed to get in which sucks, also I'm not sure if you can get into the VR beta if you have a Steam copy.

how the hell are they going to get VR to be not a vomit inducing ride?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Scarecow posted:

how the hell are they going to get VR to be not a vomit inducing ride?

Fwiw my Xplane VR ran like dogshit for framerate and it never once got me sick. And as a “control” - onward and some other VR experiences definitely got me sick every time, so it’s not like I was immune.

I don’t know enough about both the brain trickery and the VR implementation to know how to avoid it, but I’d think they can find a way

Other than the fact that enabling VR will cause a crash whenever you look over your right shoulder more than 120 degrees and probably some other entirely bizarre bugs that’ll persist through a ton of VR patches like that.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I honestly have no clue how VR is going to handle since I can't even keep a steady 60 at decent settings. There must be some wizardry happening or they're just going to dumb everything down to as basic as possible in order for you to keep a steady, high frame rate.

Right now Star Wars Squadrons has VR performance issues and as fun as it is it's kinda nauseating for me. I know I'm not dogfighting in MSFS2020 but I'd still like the FPS to be as high as possible.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Charles posted:

Correct. Either the windsock is incorrect, or the PFD is AND tower is giving me the wrong runway.

edit: The nav map wind arrow on the MFD is incorrect too.

Today I tried my Aspen crosswind deathride again. I set the wind at 61 degrees, and the arrow was pointing west-southwest. This is what I saw last time when I set that in the weather. I guess the arrow points into the wind.

I was departing facing south-southeast. The windsock was on my right and pointed leftwards. The crosswind was coming from the right. So the sock was filling up in the direction that was also hitting the plane. Takeoff and landing was consistent with the crosswind coming from the right as well.

In other news, I think I figured out a lot of the crazy poo poo that would happen to me in takeoff probably came from live weather or other settings where I had a crosswind I didn't pay attention too. One wing would start to lift up. I couldn't tell if it was TBM shenanigans. I had taken to pushing the plane down to make sure it was hugging the runway until proper rotate speed. It seemed like a few times where I really pushed it down that it would just start rolling around like it was trying to get out of bed. I'll be doing some experiments with no wind and with a light crosswind to see what messes with it.

Also, I need to keep messing around with wind.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

sigher posted:

people with a WMR headset (so basically nobody)

p much everyone who plays vr sims (dcs) uses an hp reverb (wmr)

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Stringent posted:

"Everyone" is stretching it, but the combination of room scale/hand controllers not mattering, and high resolution panels has made WMR popular in flight sims.

Going from vive to reverb was amazing, I could suddenly read all the dials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Stringent posted:

Huh?