Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

The worst part of the Jamie Foxx news was seeing Humberto Ramos tweet "now bring back Andrew Garfield". Goddammit Ramos.

Garfield was fine and deserved better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Andrew Garfield is a living Humberto Ramos drawing

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Vince MechMahon posted:

Garfield was too loving hot and smooth and his banter was from a place of knowing he was hot poo poo.

Prove me wrong!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

He did a very bad job. But the movies were also bad for other reasons.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I only saw the first Amazing Spider-Man, and I liked it well enough, but I have to admit that as I left the theatre, I was like, "all those character scenes were the same scenes in the first Raimi movie." From the awkward dinner on down, it seemed like they recycled all of them. It was weird.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Having Garfield give Peter a tough New York accent was certainly an odd choice.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Garfield is probably the best actor to play the role, but gave the worst performance in the worst films which is just how it works sometimes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He was great but they should have set it in college, dude could not pull off high school age. Emma Stone was also fantastic. Martin Sheen and Sally Field were my favorite Ben and May.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
McGuire was a good Parker but a meh Spider-Man, Garfield was a great Spider-Man but bad Parker. Tom Holland actually manages to get both parts of the role down really well.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yes Holland has been my favorite for those reasons

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rumor is Maguire is blacklisted by a lot of big name people over that Molly Bloom/poker stuff on top of already being a generally disliked dick from his "Pussy Posse" and Spider-Man days. He's done like 5 movies in 10 years and the only one you heard of was with his best friend Leo DiCaprio in Great Gatsby, and he had to produce a couple of the others.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

He was great but they should have set it in college, dude could not pull off high school age. Emma Stone was also fantastic. Martin Sheen and Sally Field were my favorite Ben and May.

I'm convinced they didn't write dialogue for Garfield and Stone who were dating at the time, it just read just 'flirt for X minutes' in the script. They almost had too much chemistry.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Being an actual couple made their screen relationship that much better.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Vince MechMahon posted:

Yeah the guy himself was fine he just happened to be saddled with the worst script/plot/everything else possible

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Does anyone have that lol list of "hip young things" that Peter could do in the Amazing movies that some exec came up with? I think it had something like "can we have him be into skateboarding?"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Hulk Smash! posted:

Does anyone have that lol list of "hip young things" that Peter could do in the Amazing movies that some exec came up with? I think it had something like "can we have him be into skateboarding?"

He can eat avacado toast, do a tik tok dance and get teargassed by a cop.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Hulk Smash! posted:

“A coked up Sony exec” posted:

Spidey thought

Hey Amy - just a couple of rando thoughts from 35,000 LAX-JFK:

- A rising trend we see with Millennials are the really extreme forms of experiential exercise like Tough Mudder (a sort of filthy triathalon), the Color Run and even things like Hot Power Yoga, veganism etc. Millennials will often post “N.B.D.” on their social media after doing it , as in No Big Deal, also known as the “humble brag”…..wondering if Spidey could get into that in some way….he’s super athletic, bendy, strong, intense….and it’s all NBD to him, of course.

- EDM (electronic dance music) is the defining music for Millennials. Wondering if there’s an EDM angle somewhere with Spidey? His movements are beautiful, would be awesome with a killer DJ behind it

- Snapchat just launched a “story” functionality, which is sort of “day in the life of me” told in a series of snapchats that expire after 24 hours. It has a very VIP quality about it, since invitation only. Getting invited into Spidey’s Snapchat circle would be huge, and very buzzworthy and cool.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

That tough mudder part has always stuck with me since part of Spidey's origin is the "gently caress it I'll use my powers to win at wrestling oh no I learned a lesson" so it feels hilarious to just add another NBD sport he dominates at.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also Peter graduates in TASM2 so he'd just be on the very, very tail end of the range of millennial.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I like the exec felt compelled to explain a humble brag.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

As funny as this is, they managed to work the EDM stuff into ASM2 with Electro and it was kind of neat. Broken clocks and all, I guess.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Yes, thank you! lol still.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I forgot about the NBD part and now I'm hoping that the excellent NBD joke on BoJack Horseman was inspired by someone reading that email.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcprBCaU34U

Apparently a character in the Emoji Movie also has the line, "It's NBD, no big deal!" Someone at Sony has NBD as their giant mechanical spider.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I see zero% of Spider-man or Peter Parker in Tom Holland's performance.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I thought Holland was perfect when he got introduced in Civil War, but my estimation goes down in each subsequent film. It is not his fault, the way he's written is a big factor, at this point he's playing Iron Man Jr. more than he is Spider-man.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

I don’t really agree with the idea that Peter should be depicted as a stereotypical nerd. For me Garfield comes closest to my ideal depiction despite the bad movie around him. He should be offbeat, a bit of an outsider, but not pathetically inept or awkward. My ideal Spider-Man movie would be snappy and cool, but not in the cloying, focus tested way where execs try to bandwagon onto stupid teen trends.

The current movie industry probably isn’t capable of doing this, but I think in an ideal world an Edgar Wright could pull it off. Or hell, let Joseph Kahn do it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

nemesis_hub posted:

I don’t really agree with the idea that Peter should be depicted as a stereotypical nerd. For me Garfield comes closest to my ideal depiction despite the bad movie around him. He should be offbeat, a bit of an outsider, but not pathetically inept or awkward. My ideal Spider-Man movie would be snappy and cool, but not in the cloying, focus tested way where execs try to bandwagon onto stupid teen trends.

Peter is a scrawny science nerd, not a skateboarding weirdo with a 200 dollar haircut.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't think portraying Peter as an outsider is wrong but the problem was that Garfield's Spider-Man was a tremendously unsympathetic shithead. It's only the chemistry between him and Stone that saves the entire Gwen Stacy/Peter Parker thing from being a loving travesty. The writing was just so scattered and awful that it did almost no favors to him. When he had scenes that weren't written with the central idea of "What if Peter Parker was a complete rear end in a top hat to everyone he knew at all times" he did a great job with them, there's just like 2 of those scenes in his entire movie lineup.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Peter is a scrawny science nerd, not a skateboarding weirdo with a 200 dollar haircut.

Why should we cling to an archetype from 1962? Do you think Iron Man movies should be about Elon Musk fighting communists in the jungle?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

nemesis_hub posted:

Why should we cling to an archetype from 1962? Do you think Iron Man movies should be about Elon Musk fighting communists in the jungle?

I don't know, maybe because it's the core of the character? I'm not asking for him to dress like that and talk about wheatcakes or go to the hopscotch or whatever, I just think being a shy nerd who gets picked on is a pretty timeless thing, and the interest in science is directly tied to his crime fighting. Bullying still exists, in case you weren't aware, and Spidey's whole thing is being relatable because of his real human problems, dealing with bullying being one of them. Him being some kind of above-it-all outsider just didn't work, and it was one of the many baffling choices in the film.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think portraying Peter as an outsider is wrong but the problem was that Garfield's Spider-Man was a tremendously unsympathetic shithead. It's only the chemistry between him and Stone that saves the entire Gwen Stacy/Peter Parker thing from being a loving travesty. The writing was just so scattered and awful that it did almost no favors to him. When he had scenes that weren't written with the central idea of "What if Peter Parker was a complete rear end in a top hat to everyone he knew at all times" he did a great job with them, there's just like 2 of those scenes in his entire movie lineup.

Garfield's best scene as Spider-man is sadly like his last scene.
Peter has lost Gwen, he's defeated the villains but so what? It's all pointless and he is in mourning and nobody on Earth would blame him from walking away from all of it.

And then the city needs him because Rhino is going to attack.
And it's just seeing this broken down young man, get up, crack a joke to hide his pain and casually walk into battle?

It's like the perfect summary of Peter Parker as this everyman hero. In what was probably the most comic accurate Spider-costume put to film.
And it occurs right at the end of the movie. There is something so sad about that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

nemesis_hub posted:

Or hell, let Joseph Kahn do it.

A super hero film in the style of Detention has been my dream for years.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lurdiak posted:

I see zero% of Spider-man or Peter Parker in Tom Holland's performance.

The "Avengers" bank heist is where MCU's Spider-Man was at its best. The rest of the time MCU Spider-Man isn't really being intentionally funny, but accidentally so.

Lurdiak posted:

I don't know, maybe because it's the core of the character? I'm not asking for him to dress like that and talk about wheatcakes or go to the hopscotch or whatever, I just think being a shy nerd who gets picked on is a pretty timeless thing, and the interest in science is directly tied to his crime fighting. Bullying still exists, in case you weren't aware, and Spidey's whole thing is being relatable because of his real human problems, dealing with bullying being one of them. Him being some kind of above-it-all outsider just didn't work, and it was one of the many baffling choices in the film.

Peter is a nerd but I don't buy him as shy or mega dorky the way Tobey was. Being a nerd or getting picked on high school is relatable but there are lots of different types of nerds and lots of reasons why someone would be bullied or outcast in school, especially if the students mostly grew up together through earlier grades.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ultimate Spider-Man is better, and does not have the majority of those boxes ticked.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
It's just so dumb to see people say that Andrew Garfield wasn't like the comics Peter when he absolutely, perfectly, embodied the 80s, 90s, and 00s Peter Parker.

Your glasses are real rose-tinted if you think the snarkass trickster hero that went around punking friends and foes alike throughout the last few decades of publication was depicted through Tobey mumblewhisper Maguire or Tom "gee thank you Mr. Stark Sir! may I please have another Sir!" Holland

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

It's almost like this character that's been in multiple continuous weekly publications for nearly 60 years with a ton of different authors and artists has taken on a great deal of different personality traits, roles, and archetypes over that time.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Fair enough, I can understand if Garfield doesn't necessarily portray the Peter Parker that someone's envisioned, if people will also recognize that the guy from the comics they're envisioning pulls pranks on Johnny Storm, stands up to Wolverine on the regular, and can and will beat the actual poo poo out of Iron Man if pressed. Wanting him to be some nebbish shut-in or doe-eyed milksop is really bizarre.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Aside from his general demeanor and sense of humour style the one thing that helped define Peter for a long time was the chip on his shoulder. He had an angry edge to him often when things weren't going his way and thought things were unfair. It's not just circumstances or misunderstandings that cause problems for him, sometimes he's actually a bit of a dick! It's why the spider powers went to his head. You hate to see him act that way when it happens but it also makes him so much more real and relatable. They've filed down that edge since and most adaptations and newer versions make him more of a golden boy. In the movies I think the only time you really see it is the "I missed the part where that's my problem" part of the very first movie.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 3, 2020

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I don't think it's really terribly useful to try and define an "ideal" Peter Parker that a screen version has to emulate, everyone has a different idea of what they want. Personally I don't like Garfield not because he failed to be the Real Peter Parker or something, it's more that within the movies themselves, he was not the sort of hero I wanted to root for. He's just such an rear end in a top hat, and not in a fun way, and the movie didn't seem to even realise it. Even the whole OMG, he has to LET HIS GIRLFRIEND GO TO UNIVERSITY is such an egotistical dilemma. No, I don't think that made him relatable at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008
The best on screen Peter Parker was Topher Grace and you know it