Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

pixaal posted:

I think that's the point they are just starting back up and are a small elite team still which is why everyone was going on every mission. Watch them recruit every rival team they ran into to fill the roster and it ends with everyone they hated being a big happy family together. (Archer really shouldn't go for that type of ending, but since it's 2020 it might be the right ending).

That's a good point. Speaking of rival teams, I wonder what happened to ODIN? They introduced an entirely new rival spy agency last episode, but everyone seems to have forgotten about their old rivals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
ODIN never recovered from their boss being a head of lettuce and their top agent defecting to the KGB. It’s a lot easier to just create a splinter cell or five under new names than to try to patch up that mess.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I'm doing a rewatch and it never stops being funny when they talk about how great ISIS is

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Medullah posted:

I'm doing a rewatch and it never stops being funny when they talk about how great ISIS is

I know. Talk about totally innocent things that absolutely didn't age well.

Back when I was a kid, you used to be able to get Ayds in the diet food aisle of the grocery store. Now, that's a felony.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

tarlibone posted:

Didn't someone take the writing duties over from Adam Reed? That might explain the renewed enthusiasm.

There's a team now. I've noticed that some of the author credits are better than others.

I suspect Adam Reed is still doing the finale.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Best thing was Barry absolutely being on their side and not double crossing them.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Senor Tron posted:

Best thing was Barry absolutely being on their side and not double crossing them.

It worked with Barry constantly being double crossed but understanding that’s just how it works, and he’s been hosed over by his parents as much as Archer has.

This series actually is meaningful for me- I had started a Krav Maga org in college in 2008 and it’s references in S1 actually got people to join.

E:”the Dane Cook of martial arts?”

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 3, 2020

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
It was easy to believe he would double cross them, so glad they didn't go that way, Barry on the team adds a nice dynamic. That was probably my favourite episode of the new season.

Also was I the only one who thought Barry was going to defeat the mech by literally banging it to death before he did the blow up thing, because that's what it looked like.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Senor Tron posted:

Apart from the coma references that could have been an early season episode, was so good.

I didn't watch all the coma seasons, was the song connected to anything Archer dreamed in his coma?

I think so, I'm pretty sure that was a German song, and at one point Archer dreams Barry was a World War One style German fighter pilot.

Also, I think a group of Germans sing that same song at a bar at one point? I'd have to go back and check.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm pretty sure the song is in Spanish. I caught the word "mañanitas," at least.

And in the episode you're thinking of, the Germans sing It's a Long Way to Tipperary and the pilot is based on one of Archer's prep school bullies from season 7. Barry doesn't feature at all in that one coma dream.

...Yes, I've seen the coma seasons a couple times.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Was that the song from Coco?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'm pretty sure the song is in Spanish. I caught the word "mañanitas," at least.

And in the episode you're thinking of, the Germans sing It's a Long Way to Tipperary and the pilot is based on one of Archer's prep school bullies from season 7. Barry doesn't feature at all in that one coma dream.

...Yes, I've seen the coma seasons a couple times.

Okay I was REALLY misremembering that one.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
I love this new iteration of Barry, especially how they keep his edge at the end. I also like how this season set up the team to seem perfect without Archer and it's slowly peeling that back

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
So. If the new valet for Archer doesn't get poo poo on like Woodhouse did, how likely is it to be revealed he's actually Archers father.

Can see it being so.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Keltar posted:

So. If the new valet for Archer doesn't get poo poo on like Woodhouse did, how likely is it to be revealed he's actually Archers father.

Can see it being so.
Apparently that was Simon Pegg?

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Keltar posted:

Can see it being so.

I was majorly disappointed because for a brief second, the way Pam was talking it seemed like she was suggesting she would be a good valet just because she knows what Archer needs as a friend and wouldn't put up with his poo poo. They could still go that route for a later episode as a joke, but it would also work better if it was truly the end of the show.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Another great episode! Cyril and Archer realizing that they are best friends in their own way was quite moving.

I like how the characters are basically saying what we are all thinking. Yes, Krieger, it is just like the good old days.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Things are not at all going the way I expected, and I am here for it.

I'll actually be kinda disappointed if Lana and Archer get back together.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'll actually be kinda disappointed if Lana and Archer get back together.

... yeah, honestly, I was thinking the same thing. I'd like to see more Archer cast evolution, and I hope this season isn't just a long, drawn-out pressing of the reset button.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I wonder what they’re going to do with Lana, they seem to be a bit lost with her at the minute but let’s see based on her bit of development this episode.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
That was easily a top-10 episode for the whole series. :drat: I remain thoroughly impressed by this season.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

tarlibone posted:

... yeah, honestly, I was thinking the same thing. I'd like to see more Archer cast evolution, and I hope this season isn't just a long, drawn-out pressing of the reset button.

Was it someone here or some interview where it was joked that the show will end with Archer going into the training exercise from the start of the very first episode?

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
I still say that was Archers dad.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Aw, I'm gonna miss that guy.

Loving this new season, though. I remember complaining through the last few seasons that, yeah, they might have had a few good jokes here and there, but I signed up to watch super spy Sterling Archer (codename: Duchess) and his wacky co-workers, and I just could not bring myself to give a gently caress about a bunch of season-long spinoffs starring a bunch of people who mostly look and act like the characters from one of my favorite shows, but have none of the backstory or built-up chemistry. Now that he's finally out of the coma I'm enjoying the poo poo out of the return to form, and I'm even more disappointed we wasted so much time on it.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Phenotype posted:

Aw, I'm gonna miss that guy.

Loving this new season, though. I remember complaining through the last few seasons that, yeah, they might have had a few good jokes here and there, but I signed up to watch super spy Sterling Archer (codename: Duchess) and his wacky co-workers, and I just could not bring myself to give a gently caress about a bunch of season-long spinoffs starring a bunch of people who mostly look and act like the characters from one of my favorite shows, but have none of the backstory or built-up chemistry. Now that he's finally out of the coma I'm enjoying the poo poo out of the return to form, and I'm even more disappointed we wasted so much time on it.

:same:

I think that's why I enjoyed the coma-gimmick so much: I assumed right away that it was the old characters transplanted into these new personas. The chemistry never broke because it was always the same "people." Part of the humor, for me, was the show being so different, yet so similar. Especially after so many friends quit watching it because "it's the same jokes over and over." Archer feels like an in-joke and the cast are the ones in on it with the audience.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah okay that was brilliant.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The coma seasons were the weakest of the series IMO

Part of the issue is that so much of those seasons had to set up the world and that took up a lot of time.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

The coma seasons were the weakest of the series IMO

Part of the issue is that so much of those seasons had to set up the world and that took up a lot of time.

The coma series would have been the weakest if season 5 wasn’t a thing.

If it was just season 8 I would have really liked it, but three seasons was just too much and it made the fact Reed was incredibly burnt out super apparent.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Archer 1999 was the 'best' of those three coma seasons

I was incredibly bored with the detective Archer one in the 40s. The island one had some good things in it but spent way too much time on worldbuilding for something that was going to get abandoned for the next season

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I really enjoyed the island one. I think mostly because of Crackers

The noir one is the only one that I really didn't care for, it was just boring

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yes that one was pretty light on jokes

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I respect the Noir season for taking the uncomfortable “Krieger is a nazi scientist” gag and turn it into something compelling. Crackers was just a delight. I liked those seasons fine, but Krieger was def the highlight of both.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I thought Dreamland was the best of the themed seasons. :shrug:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I love season 5. It's okay to like things!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Even the seasons I don’t like often have good ideas, and there’s moments that work (Season 5 definitely went out on a good note) but generally they get dragged down by an overemphasis on something that’s not really working (Pam and cocaine) that gets overused. I think a big part of it is that Reed doesn’t usually work on a project for that long and his interest waned big time.

I was always surprised people were so down on S4, that’s one of my favorite seasons.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

I thought Dreamland was the best of the themed seasons. :shrug:

I liked each one of them about the same, but for different reasons.

I liked Archer: 1999 because of the mishmash of old sci-fi elements that came together in a really weird way. Also, as the last coma season, we got to enjoy some frequent lampshading of those sci-fi tropes (why did they have a full-size courtroom on an otherwise cramped salvage ship with a tiny crew when they could use the holodeck?), and the inevitable breaks from his coma-reality as the real world and some of the past seasons intruded. It was a good way to make him slip back into consciousness.

I enjoyed Danger Island because it reminded me of when I was a kid, and there seemed to be a bunch of movies and TV shows around at the time that featured pre-WWI-era avaiation. Also, I watched Tales of the Gold Monkey when I was a kid; when Pam looks right into the camera and assures us that the idol is NOT a golden monkey, I about died laughing. We also get a couple of clues that Archer is at least subconsciously aware of the fact that he's not in the 30s, because when Pam says something about a catch-22, he says (correctly) that he doesn't think that's a thing yet. And, of course, I just thought it was pretty funny, in no small part because of Crackers.

But overall, looking back, I might also have liked Dreamland a bit more than the others? As time goes on, I understand the hate it gets less and less. I think the story was a lot more compelling, and I happen to really enjoy modern takes on noir. I choked up at the end, when Archer is paying respects to Woodhouse, something he couldn't do before because they hadn't written his death into the show before Archer went into the coma. Also, it doesn't come up much, but there's a great scene where Archer is escaping in a car full of zany characters, kills RoboBerry (he got better), and he has a great speech wherehe seems to confront some of his major personality flaws, albeit through the lens of his coma dream. I don't know... I really like that part. It's well written, well acted, and wonderfully directed.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Ok this is the most awkward dinner ever and it just keeps getting worse :allears:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I was expecting Robert and Mallory to be banging when Lana got home, not watching some racist western. Also laughed pretty hard at Lana being ashamed that she only had one PHD.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I think she was lying, because unless I'm forgetting something, Lana never completed her education. I don't think she's a Ph.D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/FXNetworks/status/1318954360953401345?s=20