Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Do the badge purchase weapons need to be +35?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

AweStriker posted:

Do the badge purchase weapons need to be +35?

Yeah, basically everything on that list needs to be +35 to upgrade to the next thing

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

That felt really weird to see the story go into visual novel format.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Personal shops being down is a bummer.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Hypocrisy posted:

That felt really weird to see the story go into visual novel format.

Really sells the "this is when we started diverting staff and funds for NGS" idea.

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
The visual-novel feel of the side-story stuff reminds me of Portable and Zero since it does a similar thing but I honestly think that there isn't much of a reason to do it because Portable and Zero had the excuse of being on a handheld where doing something like that same money and time on something more important like gameplay but PSO2 is a MMO and the only reason I can think off is probably focusing on other stuff? It's a bit unnecessary since it means you can't see your character, no matter how ridiculous they look.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

On the other hand you don't have to wait for a bad animation to play out before you can see the next line of dialogue, which is good.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

kirbysuperstar posted:

On the other hand you don't have to wait for a bad animation to play out before you can see the next line of dialogue, which is good.

I wouldn't mind the VN style if it was consistent within each segment. However it gets really jarring for me when you start switching between the animated and VN formats within the same scene.

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
Oh dear, I'm at the Buster Quest tutorial in Story Mode and I can say that the cutscene before the player character appears looks incredibly ugly. It's looks like a low-quality youtube video.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Speaking of PSO2's story, Maria's voice actress really sounds like the TF2 announcer

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

How’s the story in episode 5 compared to 4? I only did the beginning parts in the Japanese version and while I know the broad strokes of the story I don’t really know much about how they’re presented and it all sounds incredibly convoluted.

In other news I started playing Summoner and I really don’t like it. I wasted all my exp tickets leveling it up so I could play with my friend and it hasn’t gotten much better... I have all the non-evolved pets and the only ones that I end up using are Wanda and Redran. I really like the latter’s shooter style lock-on attacks but I can’t coast by on them forever.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

How’s the story in episode 5 compared to 4? I only did the beginning parts in the Japanese version and while I know the broad strokes of the story I don’t really know much about how they’re presented and it all sounds incredibly convoluted.

In other news I started playing Summoner and I really don’t like it. I wasted all my exp tickets leveling it up so I could play with my friend and it hasn’t gotten much better... I have all the non-evolved pets and the only ones that I end up using are Wanda and Redran. I really like the latter’s shooter style lock-on attacks but I can’t coast by on them forever.

The EP5 story is actually pretty good (although it's made better by knowing what foreshadowing they're doing and what the whole unspoken point of the episode is), even the early parts that I remember being kind of meh on back in JP are very enjoyable imo

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I misread! So: Wanda is very strong when fully sweetboxed out and the 13* Light one you got from Ep4 is perfect until you eventually get a 14* or a light 13* Jinga. There's a client order for all the 13* pets with lesser lightning element and worse passives but are still more than good enough to do all content. Redran in particular requires his Rambunctious personality to be useful on longer, mob heavy quests. Generally though I would suggest focusing on Wanda and Synchro first as you'll end up spending a good 20-30m meseta on each sweet box between the items and compressing. Keep a maron around as well to suicide before bringing out synchro for his damage passive and you can do all content. Synchro is a very, very strong boss pet once he's fully leveled and boxed while Wanda is nearly as strong as Jinga while also being much tankier.

Sidenote: Make sure to at least do Popple Pops Off once a week as it gets you a few million meseta worth critical cane. Make sure to also do every UQ magatsu that pops up as summoner as it has a chance to drop 10m meseta worth support rolls. If you want to save meseta for your box you can also spam run missions with summoner guy and his final gift is a support roll (takes about 30minutes). Summoner is all about that crit.

SideSidenote: If you don't want to keep the Wanda as a backup you can upgrade it to a Jinga while keeping the personality/element using a 13* Jinga egg from the collection folder. This works for any pet. Get a low star Light / t2 personality that you like then rarity enhance it to a 13* using the collection folder. It'll keep the element and you can choose which personality to bring over.

Oh for Maron make sure to at least give it the revive time parfaitroll. And once you have the other two pets maxed out on sweets working on maron is a good way to occasionally throw out 999,999 damage capped hits on some bosses.

!And get a Near Auto Target ring! - It doesn't need to be leveled and grants your pets the ability to auto attack enemies you target/are near their target. It's incredibly good for general mobbing.

E: Servers are back up and they're giving out a bunch of good stuff (sg, keys, and boosts) for all the problems with personal shops and extended downtime. https://pso2.com/news/server-info/emergencymaintenance1002notes

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 2, 2020

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Looks like the missing crafting furniture and materials exchange showed up in the Swap Shop.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Well if nothing else, I am enjoying the PS1 callbacks in the EP5 story.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
So finally did Buster Adv. quest and it gave a good 4m exp over about 10 minutes. Highly suggest for that 80+ leveling.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 2, 2020

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
Question, can Buster Quest be solo'd? How hard are they?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
No and not too hard. There are three tiers and you start in t1 where you're capped to iirc lv20? then t2 is lv45ish, and t3 is 75. Loot and xp here is still pretty bad and your goal is to farm up to 3000 points to do advanced quests where it's uncapped with a base of 80/80 required. Finding groups is very fast and requires 8 people. Loot and xp is very, very good in the advanced version.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

You can actually fairly easily solo grade 1 and 2 busters. After that though, good luck.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Not gonna complain at all about 100sg, some tokyo gold keys and a Deus Esca trigger as apology over the downtime last night, thanks Sega!

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I keep getting booted from the server at the most inopportune times, multiple times. Has anybody else been experiencing this? What's with the frequent maintenance all of a sudden?

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?
I was able to buy the Profound Darkness quest trigger from the Fresh Finds shop multiple times when I logged in, perhaps that's got something to do with it.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

The latest maintenance was to deal with an issue that caused them to lock down all forms of player trading (the prevailing theory was a duping method), being able to buy the PD triggers in the shop multiple times is normal, it shows that it's available to purchase multiple times.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Rynoto posted:

Sidenote: Make sure to at least do Popple Pops Off once a week as it gets you a few million meseta worth critical cane. Make sure to also do every UQ magatsu that pops up as summoner as it has a chance to drop 10m meseta worth support rolls. If you want to save meseta for your box you can also spam run missions with summoner guy and his final gift is a support roll (takes about 30minutes). Summoner is all about that crit.

Super Bote also drops support rolls and at least on Ship 2 they've been thankfully tanking in price and are down to 5.4m on average.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

quote:

Maintenance Details: Fixed Issues

・Countermeasure to the issue in which certain violating players acquired items via exploitative means that violate the game’s Terms of Use.

Is just vague enough that it could possibly not be duping but yeah, probably duping.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Super Bote also drops support rolls and at least on Ship 2 they've been thankfully tanking in price and are down to 5.4m on average.

Yeah I saw that earlier. Is good, too, as so many pets need them.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I've been doing better at Yamato, I usually avoided the fight because I don't really like the AIS controls and just was bad at it in general, but I spent some time reading up, played it a few times today and managed to have my first SH run against it where I didn't die. :toot:

protip: the proper response to the giant missile launch phase is to fly upwards, find a missile and melee attack it, not say "oh god, oh gently caress" and panic until the attack kills you :eng101:

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
The prevailing theory I heard was item creation, not duplication (although it's certainly possible). Saw some screenshots passed around of look book characters with items that they absolutely should not have yet like the nier collaboration items and the video from JP of the person selling 20 copies of a god tier affix setup at prices way below what they should go for. People got stupid with it, of course there's gonna be red flags when you try to dump a pile of Guardian/crackV/returnerV/absolute glare units at bargain prices.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
So layered outfits are tricky expensive since base and inner layers are often like 5 mil+ when the outer is like 400k, ugh. I got a cool looking outer from a ticket but the base is insane so barring me finding it in a scratch I’ll probably never complete the outfit. Also, some outers seem to override the base or inner while others don’t, which is annoying.

In non fashion news, I got force up to 51 and am having more fun with it than Braver. I was really missing access to techs as I was used to that in the original PSO (main was a RAmarl so I could do decent support). Class play feels a bit simpler even if finding all the discs is a bit of a pain.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Alter Ego Harmony is absolutely brokenly powerful :allears: Makes solo PD a joke.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Are the Ivlida units worth grinding for if you've already got Zein/Cliffard?

Specto
Jun 28, 2010

Nemo2342 posted:

Are the Ivlida units worth grinding for if you've already got Zein/Cliffard?

A full Cleasis set(what the ivlida units upgrade to) have more HP and attack(Cleasis has 270 hp and 120 attack total), but 9 less PP than a full Cliffard set. They also get another upgrade down the line, so it's probably worth getting anyways. It will take a while to get all the boosters you need for the upgrade though(100 boosters per unit).

Incidentally, Phaleg is so much easier with Hero. Once I got the timing down, easy 2:20 with no attack drink. Kinda felt unfair, but at least it didn't take me another 5ish hours

Specto fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Oct 4, 2020

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Specto posted:

A full Cleasis set(what the ivlida units upgrade to) have more HP and attack(Cleasis has 270 hp and 120 attack total), but 9 less PP than a full Cliffard set. They also get another upgrade down the line, so it's probably worth getting anyways. It will take a while to get all the boosters you need for the upgrade though(100 boosters per unit).

Incidentally, Phaleg is so much easier with Hero. Once I got the timing down, easy 2:20 with no attack drink. Kinda felt unfair, but at least it didn't take me another 5ish hours

Still, I'll take a grind with a guaranteed end than trying to get Esca to drop everything. I've gotten back x2 and legs x2, but no arms in sight.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
schvelles are jp endgame-competitive units and there'll probably be a gap of availability for the first two steps in terms of drops and/or the materials needed to upgrade them so i would say it's worth trying to get

upgraded lightstream and austere units are still probably better but only by a little bit

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Huh. Winning a Free Match gives you a boost to the next two Main Buster Quests you do.

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
This probably isn't much of a shocker but Hero is pretty ridiculous as a class. Like I'm dealing out roughly 10k or over by just holding Y against bosses with the sword alone. I heard it was incredibly powerful back when it debuted in Japan and they had to severly buff up the other classes to catch up to it.

Also it's great to see a fellow Hero that knows what to do while waiting or anything that isn't fighting.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I remember asking about Hero in game or Discord awhile back and being told "eh it's ok but not great, the next two super classes are OP as poo poo though."

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
i wouldn't quite say overpowered so much as successors are designed for a much different game than pso2 was when the other classes were new; those classes have mostly just been held together by tacked on features to try to get them up to speed. Generally most classes perform extremely well at endgame but older classes require more effort because they just weren't built for it in the first place

in a way it's the same reason i consider new genesis to be so important ultimately, pso2 is kind of fundamentally hosed in certain ways that makes the game have a disparity between the slower game classes were designed for and the high-octane character action rpg it has become. Starting over again from the baseline 3 classes to create a more coherent experience between classes for a game's gameplay philosophy should be healthier for the "game" as it were (assuming you count pso2 and new genesis as the same game) in the long run

hero is actually capable of some serious baloney it's just a lot harder to play than ph/et/lu mostly because you generally just are not allowed to take hits on hero without your multipliers going into a trash can

Reco fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 4, 2020

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Well, successor classes were supposed to completely replace the other classes when they first came out. That plan fell through a while ago though.

This Hero already has the recent buffs built in right? It certainly feels better than the nightmarish picture a friend painted of heroes a few months ago.

Hivac posted:

i wouldn't quite say overpowered so much as successors are designed for a much different game than pso2 was when the other classes were new; those classes have mostly just been held together by tacked on features to try to get them up to speed. Generally most classes perform extremely well at endgame but older classes require more effort because they just weren't built for it in the first place

in a way it's the same reason i consider new genesis to be so important ultimately, pso2 is kind of fundamentally hosed in certain ways that makes the game have a disparity between the slower game classes were designed for and the high-octane character action rpg it has become. Starting over again from the baseline 3 classes to create a more coherent experience between classes for a game's gameplay philosophy should be healthier for the "game" as it were (assuming you count pso2 and new genesis as the same game) in the long run

hero is actually capable of some serious baloney it's just a lot harder to play than ph/et/lu mostly because you generally just are not allowed to take hits on hero without your multipliers going into a trash can

Yeah, no joke about the DPS drop if you get hit. At least it's better than it was before.

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 4, 2020

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Hero doesn't have the recent buffs but we somehow got the luster gunblade buffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Stanos posted:

Hero doesn't have the recent buffs but we somehow got the luster gunblade buffs.

Wait so we have the guard frames on Add Bullet and Ein Raketen?