Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Don't buy monitors from newegg, their return policy is really awful. I'm not sure which panel is in the G27Q and while things are getting better all the time, I'm still hesitant to recommend anyone be an early adopter on any monitor that's an unknown quantity.

Some Goon posted:

Hows the Acer Nitro XV272U Pbmiiprzx? It's $300 on amazon right now and I've got a $100 amazon gift card sitting around. On the other hand I've got plenty enough things to fill my time that I don't really need a new monitor...

It's a decent monitor based on a common Innolux panel. The performance isn't up to par with the LG or even the older AUO panels, but the contrast tends to be good on them. At that price and immediately available vs a 27GL83A maybe 2 weeks later, it's a perfectly reasonable choice.

Knot My President! posted:

For someone that is in no rush to upgrade a monitor, are there any gaming monitors on the horizon worth looking out for or is tech pretty good these days?

Currently I have a five year old Acer Predator (27" 1440p IPS @ 165hz with g-sync)

If I were to upgrade in the future, I'd want:

- At least 1440p (> 109ppi)
- 144hz (165 preferable, but I heard 244hz is around the corner?)
- IPS
- Adaptive sync
- Ultrawide (34" fine), unless I can be convinced that a newer tech 27" with the above specs is worth considering
- Under $1200

Does anything currently fit the bill, and even so, is there anything known that will fit the bill better coming out in the future?

There are monitors that meet your specifications (most notably the LG 34GN850 and apparently the new 34GP83A), but nothing that's likely to blow your mind and if I were in your position and not feeling rushed to upgrade I'd wait. CES is often when exciting new products are announced, and maybe something next year is going to really wow you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Appreciate the answer! Looks like CES is in January which is not too far away to see what's on the horizon :)

edit: for 38", what's the difference between the 38GN950-B and the 38GL950G-B? I guess one is newer? Costco has the 38GN950-B for $1600 so they're both the same price. I guess the GL is newer and uses an nvidia certified freesync versus the GN's g-sync?

Knot My President! fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 2, 2020

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

So I've been using the new LG 27GL83A-B for about a week now and it looks great, but I was wondering if its supposed to take some time to "get used" to 144 hz? Everything that I read says higher refresh rates are supposed to help eyestrain but I feel like its made it worse. I did just come from a 1080p 60 hz so maybe its just gonna take some time to adjust? Its hard to describe, but sometimes I feel like I have a hard time focusing on a certain part of the screen, mostly when reading something. Its not something I notice at all while playing games

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

So I've been using the new LG 27GL83A-B for about a week now and it looks great, but I was wondering if its supposed to take some time to "get used" to 144 hz? Everything that I read says higher refresh rates are supposed to help eyestrain but I feel like its made it worse. I did just come from a 1080p 60 hz so maybe its just gonna take some time to adjust? Its hard to describe, but sometimes I feel like I have a hard time focusing on a certain part of the screen, mostly when reading something. Its not something I notice at all while playing games

If you're having eyestrain issues with a new monitor it's usually because the brightness is turned up too high. They tend to default to really high brightness.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

CaptainSarcastic posted:

On my last cellphone with IR their Android software was good. That was a couple cellphones ago, unfortunately. I suppose getting an older phone that has an IR transmitter and just using it as a remote could work. (My last 5 or 6 cellphones have been LG phones, and I would have to dig them out to figure out which ones had IR transmitters.)

Kalman posted:

Should be able to get DDC control of these from the connected PC using a utility like ddccontrol or ControlMyMonitor.

Thanks! I'll have to check these out if I pull the trigger on an LG TV. Turns out also that LG does have some kind of an app.

I wish there was a 48" 120hz LG Nano (or preferably 43" but anything under 55")

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Knot My President! posted:

Appreciate the answer! Looks like CES is in January which is not too far away to see what's on the horizon :)

edit: for 38", what's the difference between the 38GN950-B and the 38GL950G-B? I guess one is newer? Costco has the 38GN950-B for $1600 so they're both the same price. I guess the GL is newer and uses an nvidia certified freesync versus the GN's g-sync?

GL is older with G-sync module and HDR400. It has two fans (one for monitor, one for module)

GN is newer with Freesync (G-sync compatible) and HDR600. No fans.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Hello, I'm a very stupid person and I'm hoping someone can help me.

I'm seeing a lot of 4k UHD monitors at the moment in Australia for around $500 AUD, which is very much within my wheelhouse and very much affordable to me right now.

I'm considering picking one up and giving my housemate my current, non 4k Philips monitor I picked up on a whim.

Just from a gut reading, is that somewhere in the ballpark of a half-decent monitor? I'm after a monitor because I don't really use a TV for the traditional purpose and I have a desktop and a console I want to hook up to it.

I'm kind of lost here and don't really know what I should be looking for, or where the best value is because so much of this stuff is predicated on an American viewpoint.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

dangling pointer posted:

Got a targeted offer that If I used my discover card reward points I’d get an additional $50 off. I finally pulled the trigger on a LG 27GL83A-B.

Just waiting for it to ship now. Will I not be able to take advantage of g-sync at all with a 970? The plan was to hold out for a 3070 but I may get a used 20 series now.

Also my 1440p 60hz monitor will be my secondary monitor now. Is running monitors with different refresh rates still wonky or are those problems ironed out?

Update for anyone thinking about ordering one but worried about the ship date:

Originally amazon said I’d get it Oct 28th. They shipped it out yesterday though and I’ll be getting it tomorrow.

e: just saw the 3070 release date get pushed back :negative:

Now to decide if I should wait with my 970 or just get a used 1660 super or something to hold me over. I’ll prob end up waiting.

dangling pointer fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Oct 2, 2020

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Harold Fjord posted:

I have a simliar question about this new G27Q from Gigabyte at $330

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E168240...A1A&ignorebbr=1

Last time it came up it was noted the G27Q is among the monitors using LG panels. Quote bought one and was apparently quite happy with it.

Also it's $310 on Amazon right now.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

TheFluff posted:

If you're having eyestrain issues with a new monitor it's usually because the brightness is turned up too high. They tend to default to really high brightness.

Yeah, its probably this. I turned it down to 16(!) and it now feels a little bit better, thanks. My room isn't super well lit I guess

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Yeah, its probably this. I turned it down to 16(!) and it now feels a little bit better, thanks. My room isn't super well lit I guess

I have mine (Acer XV273K) set to 6/100 and find that to be sufficiently bright even in daylight and I'm sitting right next to a window. Only on particularly sunny days when the sun is on the right side of the building do I actually want to turn it up.

This particular monitor is a bit weird in how the brightness scale is calibrated though because 0 brightness is about 104 nits (Cd/m²) which is about in the right neighborhood for a typical home office setting (I think TFTCentral usually goes for 120 nits as a reasonable default for typical indoor lighting conditions). On the LG 27GL850 (and thus on the 27GL83A as well, presumably), a setting of 0 corresponds to about 55 nits while 15 or so seems to be around 100 nits. TFTCentral includes a brightness-to-nits chart in their reviews if anyone wants to look up their monitor at home.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 2, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

K8.0 posted:

It's a decent monitor based on a common Innolux panel. The performance isn't up to par with the LG or even the older AUO panels, but the contrast tends to be good on them. At that price and immediately available vs a 27GL83A maybe 2 weeks later, it's a perfectly reasonable choice.

Returnable until 1/31 because of the holidays, guess I'll jump, nothing to lose.

Microcenter has the VG271U Pbmiipx for 280 which looks slightly better? on paper? Do you know what if anything are the meaningful differences between the two?

E: looks like they're actually identical outside of the stand, so it's $20 vs using gift card money.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 2, 2020

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Try night light mode if you're on windows 10, it vastly improves ease of viewing especially in dimly lit spaces. It takes out most of the blue light from the display output so it'll make the image look warmer but it's so much easier on the eyes and you even sleep better for it. I have it on all the time except for some games.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Try night light mode if you're on windows 10, it vastly improves ease of viewing especially in dimly lit spaces. It takes out most of the blue light from the display output so it'll make the image look warmer but it's so much easier on the eyes and you even sleep better for it. I have it on all the time except for some games.

It would be great if this feature could autodetect/blacklist certain applications.

GFBeach
Jul 6, 2005

Surrounded by wierdos

Some Goon posted:

Microcenter has the VG271U Pbmiipx for 280 which looks slightly better? on paper? Do you know what if anything are the meaningful differences between the two?

Maybe they've fixed it, but this model of Acer was notorious at launch for a sort of flicker-glitch frame happen periodically for no explainable reason. I bought one at launch and it was otherwise a pretty good screen, but the frequency of the glitch (once every hour or two) was such that I was concerned about the monitor eventually just burning out, so I replaced it with an LG 27GL83A-B.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
Hey thread, after months of work from home hell working out of my living room on the tv I’m finally gonna have space again for a desk with some monitors. I checked around to see what people were recommending but nothing jumped out at me, and I’ve been out of the monitor game for half a decade so I hope it wouldn’t be too rude to ask for a rec.

Because I’ll be doing gaming, work, and music stuff I decided to go with dual monitors rather than one ultra wide. Because I’ll be switching between a work laptop and a tower, I’d like the monitors to have multiple inputs. And because I’ll be spending a lot of time on them I don’t mind splurging a bit relatively speaking, spending around ~$300 a piece.

My gaming pc has an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB, everything else is pretty new and I’m looking to upgrade the vid card sometime in the next year.

Edit: oh yeah, I’ll be moving in a few weeks so I’d like to get my order in within that timeframe.

Thank you for any recs or advice :tipshat:

Tarranon fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 2, 2020

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

I’ll let someone else recommend monitors but I have a 27” 1440p and a 24” 1080p monitor for my wfh setup. I highly recommend getting a dual monitor arm mount, it frees up a ton of desk space and is nice to be able to adjust the monitors to the right height. I’ve had the amazon basics one for years and have no complaints.

I have the 27” LG gsync monitor being delivered tomorrow so I’ll be switching to dual 27” monitors.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

dangling pointer posted:

Update for anyone thinking about ordering one but worried about the ship date:

Originally amazon said I’d get it Oct 28th. They shipped it out yesterday though and I’ll be getting it tomorrow.

e: just saw the 3070 release date get pushed back :negative:

Now to decide if I should wait with my 970 or just get a used 1660 super or something to hold me over. I’ll prob end up waiting.

You guys suck! This keep happenning but it's been 10 days for me and nothing so far. That's in Canada.

Edit : My delivery says Oct 20th-Nov 20th

redpleb
Feb 1, 2013
Oh hive mind! I need your advice. I know nothing about monitors and I'm going to be putting together a gaming pc pretty soon and I would like a 27" monitor, I'm contemplating 144hz and 1440 but not sure if I'll be able to appreciate the difference over 60hz and 1080. Ive been looking at monitors on pc part picker and I'm torn by my need to be a tightwad and my desire for quality. Recommendations? Advice?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

redpleb posted:

Oh hive mind! I need your advice. I know nothing about monitors and I'm going to be putting together a gaming pc pretty soon and I would like a 27" monitor, I'm contemplating 144hz and 1440 but not sure if I'll be able to appreciate the difference over 60hz and 1080. Ive been looking at monitors on pc part picker and I'm torn by my need to be a tightwad and my desire for quality. Recommendations? Advice?

I think the consensus is generally going to be for 27" 1440p at 144hz. There are specific models recommended in the thread, but it is generally going to be monitors with the aforementioned stats as well as being an IPS screen with a good freesync implementation.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Went back a few pages and didn't see anyone mentioning the ASUS VG27AQ but a lot of Dell 27GL83A recommendations - I want a 27inch 144hz 1440p and rtings says the Asus is the best, and I prefer the styling to it and don't mind the extra cost. Good choice?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Butterfly Valley posted:

Went back a few pages and didn't see anyone mentioning the ASUS VG27AQ but a lot of Dell 27GL83A recommendations - I want a 27inch 144hz 1440p and rtings says the Asus is the best, and I prefer the styling to it and don't mind the extra cost. Good choice?

I have the ASUS and the deep sleep bug is a serious annoyance. You can deal with it with helper programs, but it would be so much better not to have to.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Hm, hadn't heard about that before. From googling it seems to be mainly a problem for dual monitor users, which I wouldn't be - or is it a problem regardless?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
That is less of a problem. When the monitor disconnects Windows drops the resolution to 640x480 unless you do the registry fix. This would jam all the desktop icons to one corner and possibly resize your applications.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I can't find the LG 27GL83-A where I am but the 27GL850-B is available and seems to be basically the same; anyone any opinions on this?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Butterfly Valley posted:

I can't find the LG 27GL83-A where I am but the 27GL850-B is available and seems to be basically the same; anyone any opinions on this?

They are the same, the 83-A just doesn't have a USB hub

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Tarranon posted:

Hey thread, after months of work from home hell working out of my living room on the tv I’m finally gonna have space again for a desk with some monitors. I checked around to see what people were recommending but nothing jumped out at me, and I’ve been out of the monitor game for half a decade so I hope it wouldn’t be too rude to ask for a rec.

Because I’ll be doing gaming, work, and music stuff I decided to go with dual monitors rather than one ultra wide. Because I’ll be switching between a work laptop and a tower, I’d like the monitors to have multiple inputs. And because I’ll be spending a lot of time on them I don’t mind splurging a bit relatively speaking, spending around ~$300 a piece.

My gaming pc has an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB, everything else is pretty new and I’m looking to upgrade the vid card sometime in the next year.

Edit: oh yeah, I’ll be moving in a few weeks so I’d like to get my order in within that timeframe.

Thank you for any recs or advice :tipshat:

You probably can't get them in your time window, so maybe wait until after moving, but the answer is to get a $380 LG 27GL83A (which right now is taking maybe 2-3ish weeks for Amazon to ship) and whatever the heck you want as a secondary monitor. At this point I'm a fan of 27" 4k for a secondary monitor as they're not that much more expensive than 1440p and the resolution is nice if you want to do spreadsheets or whatever on it. Some people hate the DPI difference, but right now I have matching DPI monitors and I actually kinda miss them being different.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://videocardz.com/newz/acer-predator-x34s-34-inch-uwqhd-200hz-nano-ips-monitor-spotted

3440x1440 200hz IPS panels are coming :homebrew:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I guess that means there's going to be an AW3422.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Wonder what the image quality is gonna be on these-- I've heard that stuff starts to get washed out when ultrawides overclock to 165hz+

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

"Nano-IPS" means its definitely LG. Looks like the same panel as the LG 34GK950F-B, specwise but with the higher refresh. Wonder if its a totally new panel or binned/OCed?

redpleb
Feb 1, 2013

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I think the consensus is generally going to be for 27" 1440p at 144hz. There are specific models recommended in the thread, but it is generally going to be monitors with the aforementioned stats as well as being an IPS screen with a good freesync implementation.

What do folks think about this?
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/LFRzK8/acer-xv272u-pbmiiprzx-270-2560x1440-144-hz-monitor-xv272u-pbmiiprzx
I was also looking at this
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/z9rYcf/samsung-c27jg56-270-2560x1440-144-hz-monitor-lc27jg56qqnxza
I know I lose the usb hub for a curved screen and go from IPS to VA, but they're the same price. I know in other threads it's the general consensus that samsung is greater expense for no improvement in quality, does that hold true here as well?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

redpleb posted:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/LFRzK8/acer-xv272u-pbmiiprzx-270-2560x1440-144-hz-monitor-xv272u-pbmiiprzx
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/z9rYcf/samsung-c27jg56-270-2560x1440-144-hz-monitor-lc27jg56qqnxza
I know I lose the usb hub for a curved screen and go from IPS to VA, but they're the same price. I know in other threads it's the general consensus that samsung is greater expense for no improvement in quality, does that hold true here as well?

I have an older c24fg70 and it's a real good monitor except for needing to warm up a bit before it works. I'd say it's probably great for a va.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

redpleb posted:

Buy an LG 27GL83A on Amazon. It's $380 but it's worth it. It will also ship much sooner than they say it will, usually in 2 or maybe 3 weeks. A monitor is not the place to cheap out, if you're building a new PC you can buy a better monitor.

That said, if you're REALLY tight for cash, the XV272UP is not a bad buy, but I would strongly encourage you to consider that the monitor is both the most used and the longest lasting part of your PC.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

K8.0 posted:

Buy an LG 27GL83A on Amazon. It's $380 but it's worth it. It will also ship much sooner than they say it will, usually in 2 or maybe 3 weeks. A monitor is not the place to cheap out, if you're building a new PC you can buy a better monitor.

I’ll just add that I ordered mine on Sept 29th. Estimated ship date was Oct 28th. I just got the monitor today. It’s nice.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

K8.0 posted:

You probably can't get them in your time window, so maybe wait until after moving, but the answer is to get a $380 LG 27GL83A (which right now is taking maybe 2-3ish weeks for Amazon to ship) and whatever the heck you want as a secondary monitor. At this point I'm a fan of 27" 4k for a secondary monitor as they're not that much more expensive than 1440p and the resolution is nice if you want to do spreadsheets or whatever on it. Some people hate the DPI difference, but right now I have matching DPI monitors and I actually kinda miss them being different.

Thank you! I actually got a ship date of next Friday so I should be all monitored up come move day.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Is this the thread to ask about TV's? I'm looking to upgrade my ~10 year old LCD to something that isn't ancient, got a few questions.

VVV thank you

Taffer fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 4, 2020

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Taffer posted:

Is this the thread to ask about TV's? I'm looking to upgrade my ~10 year old LCD to something that isn't ancient, got a few questions.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3523461

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If you were to get a 27” monitor, would you rather it be 1440p or 144hz if you couldn’t do both? Some games but not a lot of FPS, things like Rocket League or skateboarding games mostly.