Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Don't the Godzilla cards count as the same as their originals for deck purposes? I would just rule it so that the TWD licensed card and the generic card count as the same card. :shrug:

e: and, like, you could just rename "Walker" to "Zombie" and come up with some generic zombie art for those tokens. It's not a zero-effort fix, and would require them to pay for a bunch of new art and flavor text, but it's presumably very doable.

They have the original names on them, below the main name box, so to use the same method they'd have to print the TWD name on the cards. They could rule them the same without doing so, but it would be new ground. Again, not impossible, they just haven't shown a inclination towards doing so.

And lol, the Walkers are generic zombie tokens, but done in a rules-wise hamfisted way for enhanced Brand Awareness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

aren't they just legal in commander, legacy, and vintage? it's not like you'll be able to roll up to FNM and play with them

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Len posted:

aren't they just legal in commander, legacy, and vintage? it's not like you'll be able to roll up to FNM and play with them

Yeah but commander is real, real popular.

Also they announced they'll be actively looking to pair the magic game system with other brands going forward, and heavily implied more things just like this are already in the works.

E: basically:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I mean, I saw a Ravinca setting guide for D&D 5th Edition, so the crossovers are happening both ways.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Don't the Godzilla cards count as the same as their originals for deck purposes? I would just rule it so that the TWD licensed card and the generic card count as the same card. :shrug:

e: and, like, you could just rename "Walker" to "Zombie" and come up with some generic zombie art for those tokens. It's not a zero-effort fix, and would require them to pay for a bunch of new art and flavor text, but it's presumably very doable.

mark rosewater (one of the poor people between the fanbase and the management) has said they can do exactly that if/when they get reprinted on his blog

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Super Waffle posted:

I mean, I saw a Ravinca setting guide for D&D 5th Edition, so the crossovers are happening both ways.

They're both Hasbro products and all the mtg settings guides I've seen (they do one for most worlds) were free releases since they know people will do it anyways. If any two brands actually have synergy it's mtg and dnd, given that the former is the spawn of the latter. I daresay those guides are actually good marking.

Dnd is also a lot more flexible wrt most anything, really. This would be like sitting down to a traditional swords and sorcery game of dnd and someone comes in and their character is Glenn from The Walking Dead.

E: well speak of the devil

Aranan posted:

Seems like this isn't restricted to just Magic over at WotC.

https://www.geeknative.com/96553/power-rangers-d-g-i-joe-transformers-and-my-little-pony-games-planned/

tl;dr: Power Rangers, G.I. Joe, Transformers and My Little Pony versions of Dungeons and Dragons 5th Edition are coming.

Actually I think these will all do fine and probably don't belong in the thread.

WotC saying they'll just release cards and declare them to be the same card should ameliorate a substantial part of the criticism. They'd've probably avoided a lot of this if they had explicitly said so up front as they were dancing around it and they've never done it before. They've also got to print the cards, but baby steps.

Fantastic Foreskin has a new favorite as of 03:40 on Oct 2, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Volcott posted:

They call exodia the forbidden one but he's not actually forbidden, just cumbersome.

I think that says a lot about our society.

Funny thing is that so many of Yugi's signature cards aren't tournament legal, if that Dragon Ball Abridged short is any indication. (I think Pot of Greed is basically its Black Lotus) I'm not sure if Exodia is, though. Thing is that it's easy to see it coming from a mile away.

I remember watching an episode of the anime where a henchman's gimmick is having three full Exodia sets in his deck and lots of milling cards to assemble a set as soon as he can.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Funny thing is that so many of Yugi's signature cards aren't tournament legal, if that Dragon Ball Abridged short is any indication. (I think Pot of Greed is basically its Black Lotus) I'm not sure if Exodia is, though. Thing is that it's easy to see it coming from a mile away.

I remember watching an episode of the anime where a henchman's gimmick is having three full Exodia sets in his deck and lots of milling cards to assemble a set as soon as he can.

That hemchman's strategy was always illegal, just because you've only ever been allowed one copy of each Exodia card. So it's never really been a strong deck, but it is a hilarious gimmick.

All of Yugi's famous cards have pretty much all been tournament-legal. Sure, he's got stuff like Pot of Greed and I think Graceful Charity that were banned, but basically everyone on the show used them for much the same reason they're now banned: it's a really easy way to get some momentum going when you don't have any. Which is great for when you're writing stories about those card games and you need your hero to be able to bounce back from near defeat, but not so great for a real card game. Most signature cards you can think to name in a big character's deck in that show are tournament legal, and some of them have evolved into whole deck themes of their own.

The one exception I can think of, which Kaiba used to win a big duel late in the original series, was Chaos Emperor Dragon - Envoy of the End. Chaos Emperor Dragon was actually the reason Yu-Gi-Oh got an outright banlist in the first place, because it was capable of completely insane plays with such little kickoff (you just needed to remove a Light and a Dark monster in your graveyard from play) that at the time there just weren't ways to counter it.

Chaos Emperor Dragon getting banned was actually such a big deal that it was a minor plot point in an episode of Yu-Gi-Oh GX, in fact.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
They had to split the Winged Dragon of Ra up into like six cards to cover all the nutty stuff it got to do as the Final Boss Monster.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!

Byzantine posted:

They had to split the Winged Dragon of Ra up into like six cards to cover all the nutty stuff it got to do as the Final Boss Monster.

Yeah, they're still coming out with new cards to depict all of the Winged Dragon of Ra's bullshit. And it's still not actually good, it's the worst Egyptian God Card and basically none of them are worth playing. In fact, Ra is so bad that it's generally advised that you use some of his support cards without even having Ra itself, they're actually more useful if they don't have the Winged Dragon of Ra as their endgame.

My favorite instance of show-game non-synergy is Blue-Eyes White Dragon. Because it's an iconic card that got a bunch of support so it could be more viable, and Kaiba uses some of those cards in the show... but he's the only person in the world who owns that card. So it's never stated, but it can only mean that in-universe there's cards being printed for exactly one person to ever use.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Kaiba owns three of the Blue-Eyes cards to be precise, and it's actually a plot point that he tore the only other one in half so no one else could use it. Figuring Pegasus prints additional support cards just because Kaiba pays out the nose for them.

It's pretty common in these games that big setpiece cards like Egyptian Gods are typically waaay more trouble than they're worth. Actually that's also a thing in the show too; the Egyptian God Cards are all described as basically evoking actual gods and bring down major consequences for frivolous use.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Cleretic posted:

My favorite instance of show-game non-synergy is Blue-Eyes White Dragon. Because it's an iconic card that got a bunch of support so it could be more viable, and Kaiba uses some of those cards in the show... but he's the only person in the world who owns that card. So it's never stated, but it can only mean that in-universe there's cards being printed for exactly one person to ever use.

Weren't Pegasus's Toon cards also exclusive to him?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Serperoth posted:

On top of a couple of his most broken cards as backups, yes. I think a later show implies they were eventually released to the public, probably having been toned down. Funny thing is that Pegasus is already cheating out the rear end since his Millennium Eye lets him literally read minds, and when that gets disabled Yami points out that Pegasus is a lousy duelist even with his overpowered deck because he's become so reliant on it.

Weevil also tosses a full set of the Exodia cards overboard rather than let any potential opponents get them. (Though it does make some sense, since they don't fit Weevil's deck and style)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!

Serperoth posted:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

On top of a couple of his most broken cards as backups, yes. I think a later show implies they were eventually released to the public, probably having been toned down. Funny thing is that Pegasus is already cheating out the rear end since his Millennium Eye lets him literally read minds, and when that gets disabled Yami points out that Pegasus is a lousy duelist even with his overpowered deck because he's become so reliant on it.

Weevil also tosses a full set of the Exodia cards overboard rather than let any potential opponents get them. (Though it does make some sense, since they don't fit Weevil's deck and style)

The Toon decks make a fair bit of sense in that it's Pegasus, the actual creator of the game, using them. They spent a lot of time in-universe workshopping them, which you can actually see when he turns up in later episodes with updated Toon cards--not just new cards, but updated older ones. It makes complete sense that that's how they handled it, and it lets them showcase new cards in the archetype without getting stuck with the 'but why does Paladin of White Dragon even exist' problem Kaiba had. Plus, it ABSOLUTELY plays pretty well to the target audience to sell them the pitch of 'these are cards so powerful only the game's creator gets to use them, and now YOU can buy them'.

Most of the 'big' characters in the series avoid the issue. There's some instances (two different rivals in GX have explicitly unique decks, but both of them are shown to have it because of connections to Pegasus; the protagonist gets unique cards in the second season, but Pegasus outright states they just haven't been released yet when he sees), but for the most part they have the sense to make it clear that your heroes aren't the only ones with these cards. Hell, the first season of GX has an undercurrent of a redemption arc for Joey's deck, by showing that in the right hands those cards are actually pretty terrifying.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SicD7w6egck

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The main problem is the anime focuses on making one big chunky boy for drama but that’s just not what the actual card game does.

The anime basically has no removal so cards that are insane in the anime actually kind of suck when you can just kill it by some other method

Hilarious wing dragon of Ra sphere mode sees competitive play because it can be used as spot removal

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I can't seem to find a video, but early on in Arc V one of the villains does an actual realistic combo (X-Sabers). It takes forever, was super annoying, and ends up summoning and recycling the same card like 4 times. I feel like they put it in there just to shut up that nerds that wanted real combos in the anime.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Cock Magic episode of South Park is probably one of the more realistic examples of a card game depicted as an epic duel, iirc the boys are more impressed by combinations of cards being played rather than any specific one being deployed. (also the card being played by a trained chicken. And followed up by Stan's dad shooting his dick off)

Merchandise-selling shows tend to have a bit of a challenge in showing off characters and plot devices, depending on what they're trying to sell.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I miss the edgy marketing era

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

There was a 90s jrpg ad I vaguely remember. It was a two page ad with a house that had an overgrown lawn, newspapers piled up, and a starving dog. The implication was that Shadow Madness(?) was such a good JRPG you would forget about your life

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

RandomFerret posted:

have I got a trove for you

I think they're doing spooky-ish games for October and last month's theme was embarrassingly horny print ads and boy, the 90s edge-geniuses (who, it always has to be said, were working their side of the street well into the early 2000s) were all over that.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Pastry of the Year posted:

have I got a trove for you

I think they're doing spooky-ish games for October and last month's theme was embarrassingly horny print ads and boy, the 90s edge-geniuses (who, it always has to be said, were working their side of the street well into the early 2000s) were all over that.

Oh God I remember too many of these. Checking out all the gaming magazines I could find at the library and trying to convince my mom that they were acceptable reading, hoping she'd never see any of the ads :sweatdrop:

This one's pretty funny though, you can get what they're going for but the texturing and color makes it come across as gross hairy butt instead of sexy butt.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

RandomFerret posted:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
This one always struck me as dumber than the rest.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Kevin DuBrow posted:

This one always struck me as dumber than the rest.

I remember back in the day Gamer Dudes Uncomfortable Playing Girls were pretty common. A sentiment that seems like it's largely disappeared, or I've just insulated myself from the communities they hang out in.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

buddhist nudist posted:

I remember back in the day Gamer Dudes Uncomfortable Playing Girls were pretty common. A sentiment that seems like it's largely disappeared, or I've just insulated myself from the communities they hang out in.

I remember it being a discussion point in favor of male protagonists. Girls are willing to play male characters, boys don't like playing female characters, and providing a choice of male of female character is hard, so it just makes sense that all protagonists be male.

Except Laura Croft. Turns out boys are willing to have a female protagonist if the POV is staring at her butt the whole time. Male gaze to the rescue!

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Facebook Aunt posted:

I remember it being a discussion point in favor of male protagonists. Girls are willing to play male characters, boys don't like playing female characters, and providing a choice of male of female character is hard, so it just makes sense that all protagonists be male.

Except Laura Croft. Turns out boys are willing to have a female protagonist if the POV is staring at her butt the whole time. Male gaze to the rescue!

Heterosexual men are gross.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Facebook Aunt posted:

i'm like 90% positive it was on these forums i read someone saying they make female mmo characters because "if i'm going to be staring at an rear end for hundreds of hours it's going to be female"

How Rude posted:

Heterosexual men are gross.

basically this

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

buddhist nudist posted:

I was working in retail for the Streefighter 2 launch on SNES. Both of the managers were hell of into it, so we all got at least competent at the game, and could play customers if it was slow and you were caught up on cleaning and other bullshit. I never got anywhere on their level, even after a year or so I sucked compared to the pros. But I had figured out that gamer dudes hate losing to female characters, so I got good at Chun-Li. I may have consistently lost - badly - to our assistant manager, but against 90% of the customer base I could make them look bad. With Chun-Li. people would rather get demolished by Ken or Ryu than take a close loss against Chun-Li. It was hilarious.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Sadly, Konami effectively killed off the MGS franchise, our last, best hope to achieve butt parity

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Captain Hygiene posted:

Sadly, Konami effectively killed off the MGS franchise, our last, best hope to achieve butt parity

One of the great unforced errors in all of gaming history.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

I've never watched Yu Gi Oh in my life. Someone explain to me how you can have a show about people playing a card game. Like, I'm using Magic as a substitute in my head and it sounds ridiculous. Do the cards come to life and stomp around or something?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Eclipse12 posted:

I've never watched Yu Gi Oh in my life. Someone explain to me how you can have a show about people playing a card game. Like, I'm using Magic as a substitute in my head and it sounds ridiculous. Do the cards come to life and stomp around or something?

I googled Yugioh and it sounds like someone took peyote and then wrote a script based on their visions. They do come to life and stomp around.

quote:

The plot follows the story of a boy named Yugi Mutou, who solves the ancient Millennium Puzzle, an ancient cursed game possessed by the spirit of a pharaoh who serves as the Judge of Evil. Yugi awakens a gambling alter-ego within his body that solves his conflicts using various games. Most of the incarnations of the franchise involve the fictional trading card game known as Duel Monsters, where each player uses cards to "duel" each other in a mock battle of fantasy "monsters".

Yu-Gi-Oh! tells the tale of Yugi Mutou, a timid young boy who loves all sorts of games, but is often bullied around. One day, he solves an ancient puzzle known as the Millennium Puzzle, causing his body to play host to a mysterious spirit with the personality of a gambler. From that moment onwards, whenever Yugi or one of his friends is threatened by those with darkness in their hearts, this other Yugi shows himself and challenges them to dangerous Shadow Games, which reveal the true nature of someone's heart, the losers of these contests often being subjected to a dark cosmic punishment.

Sozoji, a wannabe rock star who bullies kids at school into coming to all-night karaoke sessions under the threat of physical violence. When he crosses Yugi, he finds himself challenged to a Shadow Game with particularly brutal consequences. The game is simple: Dark Yugi and Sozoji sit in silence. The first one to make enough noise to trigger a noise-sensitive toy sitting in front of them loses. The adrenaline gets Sozoji so jacked up that his microphone picks up the sound of his heart beating, triggering the toy and dooming him. His punishment? The sound of his heart beating thuds louder and louder in his ears endlessly, eventually driving the 14-year old insane.

Whether it be cards, dice, or role-playing board games, he will take on challenges from anyone, anywhere. As the series progresses, Yugi and his friends learn that this person inside of his puzzle is actually the spirit of a nameless Pharaoh from Ancient Egyptian times, who had lost his memories. As Yugi and his companions attempt to help the Pharaoh regain his memories, they find themselves going through many trials as they wager their lives facing off against gamers that wield the mysterious Millennium Items.

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

Eclipse12 posted:

Yeah they come to life and there's a lot of yelling. It's goofy as poo poo but in a fun way.

This playlist showcases the show's tone nicely.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Facebook Aunt posted:

What the gently caress is this dumbass bullshit? Do you even think or do basic research before you post this horseshit?

It’s Lara.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Eclipse12 posted:

Yes, basically. In the show the game is computerized so huge hologram monsters fight it out.

(Plus the original has some cool "Egyptian magic was real" stuff)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

oldpainless posted:

It’s Lara.

It’s “Yanny”.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

They stomp around as holograms so the action is like pokemon, but even in universe they're just playing card games at each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Eclipse12 posted:

there's a little bit of that, but it's not the main focus. really they just try to make the act of playing a card game as intense and dramatic as possible