Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre still holds up, just in case anyone was wondering.

I'm kind of having a hard time putting the emotions I had while watching it into words. It's a very smothering movie, like being trapped in a hot car while someone screams at you, if that makes any sense.

Feels like I'm working in super high humidity and running into rusty barbed wire and hoping I get a tetanus shot before I get a nasty infection for the entire runtime. It's special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre still holds up, just in case anyone was wondering.

I'm kind of having a hard time putting the emotions I had while watching it into words. It's a very smothering movie, like being trapped in a hot car while someone screams at you, if that makes any sense.

Yeah it does, I watched it last night.

It still has juice with the kids too apparently because my girlfriends son refused to watch it with us because he was scared.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I've never watched Texas Chainsaw without wanting to shower very soon after. So grimy, so sweaty, so putrid. It's very good.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Tarnop posted:

I've never watched Texas Chainsaw without wanting to shower very soon after. So grimy, so sweaty, so putrid. It's very good.

watch Hooper's Eaten Alive

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

What makes Texas Chainsaw Massacre so effective as a film though, is it the matter of fact way that violence is potrayed, the performances, the direction? If you evaluated TCM today by our standards its really a "hard" PG 13. Which makes sense since Hooper was convinced he'd get a PG rating for the film or at least he tried to. I think it's a combination of all those direction , acting , and just the fact that its so realistic. It doesn't treat anyone in the film or anything as a "joke".

I don't know why TCM is so effective but its still even to this day one of the greatest horror films ever made. In fact I'd argue its easily the best horror film made, period.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Got Eaten Alive on my list for October already!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Hollismason posted:

What makes Texas Chainsaw Massacre so effective as a film though, is it the matter of fact way that violence is potrayed, the performances, the direction? If you evaluated TCM today by our standards its really a "hard" PG 13.

it'd still be a light R probably, but you'd literally just have to trim the twitching from the hammer kill and probably a few frames from the meat hook bit to push it to PG-13.

e: it's in a similar zone to T2 or Aliens where, while it would need edits, they'd be so minor that only obsessives would actually notice them.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

didnt they give the conjuring an r rating bc it was "too scary" despite not really having any violence, sex, or language

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i actually really like the conjuring movies but they are barely pg13 let alone r

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Tarnop posted:

Got Eaten Alive on my list for October already!

You're going to love it. It's my 2nd favorite Hooper film (TCM2 being my favorite). It's so beyond grimey and has a lot of pitch black humor, just a tons of maniacal fun.

EDIT: wow I'm bad at posting, sorry for the triple post

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Hollismason posted:

I don't know why TCM is so effective but its still even to this day one of the greatest horror films ever made. In fact I'd argue its easily the best horror film made, period.
I think there is something to the subliminal narrative of a cow's journey from truck to slaughterhouse to dinner table that works very well.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

:spooky: BRACKETOLOGY FINALS TRIPLE FEATURE :spooky:

:rip: Ken Russell Vs. Takashi Miike, MONDAY, on the CineD Discord
:rip:

1800 EST Over Your Dead Body
1945 EST Gothic
2120 EST As the Gods Will

A big thank you to Shreknet for making this all possible, MacheteZombie for being there for me with constant support, and everyone who has contributed, watched, lurked, reviewed and voted. This thread has meant the world to me over the last few months, and you're all a huge part of what made it special.

For everyone not following the thread, this is it, the final. The last chance to make a difference and steer the tournament toward your preferred victor. Click here to find out how to vote.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Geez! Ken Russell, who woulda thunk?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Kvlt! posted:

didnt they give the conjuring an r rating bc it was "too scary" despite not really having any violence, sex, or language

I don't know about the MPAA but here in the UK our ratings board have some catch-all stuff that they can use to bump the rating of something that technically is a 12A (our PG13 equivalent) but "feels" bad. It's almost always applied to horror movies, because the BBFC hates them and what really gets you the box office friendly ratings is studios and directors with industry clout.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

Geez! Ken Russell, who woulda thunk?

Russell was an absolute silent assassin. He walks that fine line between fun, horny, crazy, acid-fueled freakouts, and just pure beautiful artistic expression. It's really hard to stand out when you're up against Russell, but if anyone can do it, it's the mischievous prankster king himself, Miike.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

If it wasn't for Texas Chain Saw Massacre then cannibal horror very well could have been dominated by films with the ugly colonial view of indigenous people (with some Herschell Gordon Lewis oddities thrown in the mix). The rural American cannibal is such a fine vein for horror with the comparisons to political division and the eventual trope of a debased revenge by the liberal city nerds. Now that's fighting barbeque with barbeque! We owe Tobe Hooper so much, I loving love TCM/2.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I’m watching the jackass movies right now and theyre far gorier and messed up than anything going on in TCM. What wonders a simple but evocative title like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre manages to conjure in peoples heads when the reality is far more tamer.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I have no idea why I continually confuse The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and The Hills Have Eyes but I can't help it

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I can confidently say TCM is very possibly the best horror film ever made. It's not only one of the most effective, but decidedly one of the most influential of all time.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

it'd still be a light R probably, but you'd literally just have to trim the twitching from the hammer kill and probably a few frames from the meat hook bit to push it to PG-13.

e: it's in a similar zone to T2 or Aliens where, while it would need edits, they'd be so minor that only obsessives would actually notice them.

Literally the best scene in the whole movie though

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Yeah that hammer kill is a perfect scene. No musical cues, no style. Just sudden, brief, shocking violence. The way his leg twitches and the door slams. It's like watching a person actually get murdered. My 16 year old mind was blown when I first saw it.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

I was having a look back at the Sight & Sound magazine archives to see when it was first mentioned on this side of the pond. They sent a reviewer to the Locarno Film Festival 1975.

"America opened and closed the festival with French Connection No. 2 and Walter Hill's unexceptional The Street­fighter. Rather more interest was aroused in some quarters by Tobe Hooper's Texas Chainsaw Massacre, a gory celluloid horror comic which, apart from its un­deniably animated finale (involving a power­driven chainsaw and barbecued victims), hardly seems worth the rumpus it is cer­tainly going to create."
- David Wilson, Autumn 1975.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Spatulater bro! posted:

I can confidently say TCM is very possibly the best horror film ever made. It's not only one of the most effective, but decidedly one of the most influential of all time.
I'll fight you on best horror movie.

But I feel like sound design is inarguably the most influential outside of maybe Alien.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I've always said TCM is the best found footage movie that's not actually a found footage movie. Something about it just feels like reels of someone's home movies. And the look of Leatherface has never been topped by any of the sequels/remakes.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 3, 2020

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I always felt what worked best with TCM was how random it all was. With Nightmare and Friday and really most slasher films, you have that faint hint of morality where the kids are at least somewhat at fault, or at least "sinners" who are getting punished. With Chainsaw they more or less just get caught in the middle of something they have nothing to do with, their worst crime is giving a hitchhiker a lift and it leads to a really bad day. It's that idea that terrible things could happen to anyone that makes it land so well.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Jedit posted:

Any word on this? It drops tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2yfp6oj2hw

Watched this earlier today. Fun! Not great, but a nice watch, not even 90 minutes long, feels timely, and has Mero (of Desus & Mero fame) as a cool bodega owner everyone loves. Definitely think you should give it a watch if you have Netflix

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

TheBizzness posted:

Literally the best scene in the whole movie though

Agreed, cutting the death twitch would have been an absolutely unacceptable edit. That would have been like ripping the smile off the Mona Lisa. Everything about that first kill is perfect. Nowadays everyone already knows about Leatherface via cultural omosis, but can you imagine the shock of seeing him for the first time with no idea he was coming? They've already set up the creepy hitchhiker as the murderer, so that's who you think is going to end up doing the killing, and then out of blue BAM! A giant dude wearing someone else's face shows up and just casually slaughters a guy.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 3, 2020

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Loving all this TCM talk. It really is the best horror movie.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The Head Hunter was fun. Low budget dark fantasy horror thing focused on a single actor with some nice practical effects, props, and locations.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I need a recommendation for a fun horror comedy this evening, watching Get Out and The Purge: Anarchy back to back has got me in A Mood.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Lumbermouth posted:

I need a recommendation for a fun horror comedy this evening, watching Get Out and The Purge: Anarchy back to back has got me in A Mood.

Tammy and the T-Rex: the gore cut and What We Do In the Shadows are my two favorite horror comedy movies.

The What we do in the Shadows tv series is also brilliant.

Edit:

Oh! And One Cut of The Dead is wonderful.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I'm about to hit movie #69 in my fall challenge, and I need the horniest horror movie possible, please help

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Lumbermouth posted:

tucker and dale vs evil if you haven't seen it

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

I'm about to hit movie #69 in my fall challenge, and I need the horniest horror movie possible, please help

Jason X

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Knife + Heart or Bram Stoker's Dracula.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Nekromantik or From Beyond

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I propose Nymphomaniac is a horror film

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Necromantik

Or the Cat People remake

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Wait, I want to change my answer to "Cats".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

e: on second thought, Stranger by the Lake

Debbie Does Dagon fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 3, 2020