Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

This combination of JayZTwoCents videos is making the 3080FE look more and more attractive, even for an M1 case. I have a 240MM radiator against the side panel, but its as an intake so it the top exhaust of the FE shouldn't really effect much maybe mobo/RAM temperatures, which are usually not that much of a concern.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ4ha0zsWHw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6bUUEEe-X8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

I wouldn’t pay too much attention to the whole SPCaps thing... the “good” cards are failing just as much as the “bad” cards

https://twitter.com/hardwareunboxed/status/1309659834468298753?s=21

https://twitter.com/gamersnexus/status/1309838511374241797?s=21

GamersNexus set a record with a “bad” card, they pushed it on air, and on LN2, they didn’t see anything out of the ordinary. Steve says that either they got lucky or didn’t play the right games when testing all the cards.

It might just be something driver related or boost clock related. It might not be down to the caps. It’s just way too early to tell.

But Jay is right... If this is fixed it will be via software (vbios/driver/etc)

Yes I know that EVGA did say they noticed this, and changed their caps.. but like I said it’s too early to tell and without anything concrete, we’re all just throwing poo poo against a wall to see what sticks.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8NXraJiJsU

My Ncase looks like it's going to be fine until I get this thing on water.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Warmachine posted:

I'm real tempted with an Ncase or the CoolerMaster NR200 until the FormD P1 is real.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
That video inspired me to try undervolting. I could only get it stable at 1920 Mhz @ 950 mV, which ... did nothing for my temperatures but raised my RDR2 benchmark results by ... 1 fps average.

:v:

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Warmachine posted:

Not seen in this video, but it seems like folks are getting pretty good results with the airflow layout on a lot of the Sliger sandwich cases too. Seems like the ghost is just especially bad, more than sandwiches are.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
Linus cold-hammers a 280mm AIO and a 3080 into a Sliger case:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2s-q34FX7c

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I really hate the YT thumbnail meta.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Vir posted:

Linus cold-hammers a 280mm AIO and a 3080 into a Sliger case:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2s-q34FX7c

Well his part choices weren't bad.

So my 3080 is installed, and things run. I had to downclock it a bit because I had two hard system locks in Ark, which I suspect was related to the clock instability issue. I need to do more troubleshooting here though, since there's a bunch of other things it could be including: too weak power supply, unstable processor overclock, game engine built with chewing gum and paperclips.

I did decide to see what would happen if I firewalled the power consumption using OCCT's power consumption test. Power supply shut off immediately after the test started. :science:

I'm regretting that I slept on the SF750 that briefly appeared on Amazon for MSRP last night.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

teagone posted:

I really hate the YT thumbnail meta.
It lacks an arrow, some big text and a face distortion to be peak YouTube thumbnail content.

Warmachine posted:

Except for the AIO. When tolerances are that tight, it might perhaps be better to go for a 240mm (2x120) AIO instead, to avoid the aggravation of getting it to fit. Cutting into or hammering an AIO into shape doesn't seem like the best idea.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Vir posted:

It lacks an arrow, some big text and a face distortion to be peak YouTube thumbnail content.

Except for the AIO. When tolerances are that tight, it might perhaps be better to go for a 240mm (2x120) AIO instead, to avoid the aggravation of getting it to fit. Cutting into or hammering an AIO into shape doesn't seem like the best idea.

Eh, my Ncase is slightly bowing to accomodate my radiator, I'm sure it's fine. :v:

(I need better fittings, but I'm not rebuilding it until EK release a 3080 FE waterblock)

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vir posted:

I have the SM580. On Sligers website it says the H115 is difficult to fit. I have an NZXT 280mm in there with no issue at all.

I believe all he had to do was slide the rad all the way to the back of the case so the nubs for the side panel didn't hit the radiator.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Warmachine posted:

He specifically uses literally one of the few AIO's that Sliger's webpage explicitly says "HEY, MAYBE DON'T USE THIS ONE IT DOESN'T FIT PROPERLY"

quote:

1x 280mm AIO or radiator
Maximum 328mm x 150mm x 72mm (LxWxH -- 72mm height includes fan and radiator thickness)
RECOMMENDED: ASETEK 680LS, NZXT Kraken X61, X62, or Z63, Cougar Aqua 280, ThermalTake Floe Ring 280
DIFFICULT: Corsair Hydro H115i Platinum RGB, EVGA CLC 280mm, Corsair H115i Extreme, Fractal Design S28+
INCOMPATIBLE: Cooler Master Liquid Pro 280, ARCTIC COOLING Liquid Freezer II 280, AORUS RGB AIO 280, be queit! Silent Loop 280

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Yeah, LTT is the Top Gear of techtubers. Unless Anthony is hosting the video, there's likely going to be some silliness.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Gonna make a post talking through my motherboard thought process because I am dumb and often wrong about poo poo and would love to have the ways in which I am wrong pointed out to me so I can make a better decision.

First pass criteria: AMD, capable of supporting Zen3 in a week, WIFI integrated, and a USB C header for my case port.

Put another way, I’m looking at B550 boards because for whatever reason USB-C+ ITX + X570 isn’t a thing.

The Gigabyte B550 is the best regarded, but lacks the USB C header so it’s out.

The MSI 550i seems to have a poor reputation? I can’t really find anyone that actually recommended this board, and people have noted some really questionable layout choices.

The ASRock Phantom Gaming Board appears to have the best performance, but runs kind of hot. It has the fastest USB as well, etc. it’d be the easy pick, BUT... no Bios flashback button is a potential dealbreaker if I do go with a new AMD CPU in a week. I don’t have another CPU I can just throw in there to do a bios upgrade ahead of time if needed. Or am I being a big dummy and inventing a concern that isn’t real?

That leaves ASUS Strix board, about which I can’t find anyone saying much bad, but also, can’t find anyone saying much positive, and also it costs a lot more than the PG board.

So, I guess my plan is grab the ASRock if I buy a current gen CPU, and the Strix if I buy something that gets released in a week?

What horrible misstatements of facts have I committed here?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

CaptainPsyko posted:

Gonna make a post talking through my motherboard thought process because I am dumb and often wrong about poo poo and would love to have the ways in which I am wrong pointed out to me so I can make a better decision.

First pass criteria: AMD, capable of supporting Zen3 in a week, WIFI integrated, and a USB C header for my case port.

Put another way, I’m looking at B550 boards because for whatever reason USB-C+ ITX + X570 isn’t a thing.

The MSI 550i seems to have a poor reputation? I can’t really find anyone that actually recommended this board, and people have noted some really questionable layout choices.

The ASRock Phantom Gaming Board appears to have the best performance, but runs kind of hot. It has the fastest USB as well, etc. it’d be the easy pick, BUT... no Bios flashback button is a potential dealbreaker if I do go with a new AMD CPU in a week. I don’t have another CPU I can just throw in there to do a bios upgrade ahead of time if needed. Or am I being a big dummy and inventing a concern that isn’t real?

That leaves ASUS Strix board, about which I can’t find anyone saying much bad, but also, can’t find anyone saying much positive, and also it costs a lot more than the PG board.

So, I guess my plan is grab the ASRock if I buy a current gen CPU, and the Strix if I buy something that gets released in a week?

Isn't B550 supposed to support 4xxx out of the box?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Warmachine posted:

Isn't B550 supposed to support 4xxx out of the box?

Support is guaranteed, (versus ‘extremely probably’ on b450) on B550/X570, but there’s still going to be a needed firmware update. Certainly new b550’s a few months (Or even weeks) from now are just gonna ship with said updated firmware, but I don’t trust existing retail channels enough to risk “well, gently caress, guess I need to find a spare cpu to update this mobo before I can use it”

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Anyone have experience with the new Ryzen mini PCs? PN50 entry level looks like the perfect thing to put together for my mum after her Dell Optiplex micro died. Only going to be used for web and light photo editing so it is either this or another refurb Dell which would be a bit cheaper but once bitten...

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

CaptainPsyko posted:

Posted this a while back: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/asus-b550i-strix.13522/page-4#post-205305

Also, similar reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/sffpc/comments/grusq0/compiled_b550_itx_motherboard_information/

Strix is kinda underwhelming while also the most expensive, so I'd probably go with MSI if you do need flashback.

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice
I was looking at maybe doing the EVGA step-up for the 3080 and came across this post with the FTW model and an Ncase M1:

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/ncase-m1-v6-gpu-compatibility-list.11305/page-25#post-220723

It looks like he was able to remove the front panel, install the card, and replace the front panel.

Anyone else with an ncase this might be a potential solution to not have to F5 for a card as long as you don't mind waiting for the Step up to complete.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

That Asus B550-I only has 3 USB ports (enough for keyboard, mouse, headset/speakers) on the rear IO, but for $20-30 more you could get 7 USB ports on their Strix X570-I board; the B550-I board makes no sense to me.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

denereal visease posted:

That Asus B550-I only has 3 USB ports (enough for keyboard, mouse, headset/speakers) on the rear IO, but for $20-30 more you could get 7 USB ports on their Strix X570-I board; the B550-I board makes no sense to me.

front I/O USB C tho.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

CaptainPsyko posted:

front I/O USB C tho.

Half the reason I went Intel over AMD right in this post.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Front panel USB-C support is like the one box that the Strix B550-I checks vs the X570-I, but I never use front panel USB so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

For anyone who's been trying to get one, I was just able to actually order an sf750 from corsairs website. Who knows how long that'll last though.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Nr200p case came back in stock where I am and I managed to snag one of the last 2, to be delivered next week. I don't have any components to put in it yet, they'll be purchased at the end of the year, but I'm very excited to be back in the PC game and building something totally opposite to my first (and last) build when I was a teenager and bigger = better so I bought some huge silver tower monstrosity.

I was really tempted by some of the higher end SFF cases, specifically the ncase m1 as it's actually available with some regularity, but I figured as I haven't built a PC for years it would make more sense to get something a bit larger and more forgiving to build in then if I wanna shrink things down in the future I can do that whenever.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
I have the Ncase M1 but will be migrating my build over to the NR200 when my 3090 FE arrives, estimated delivery is tomorrow. The NR200 looks like a good case, just a larger version of the M1.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

For all two of you in the more money than sense category here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96rmIYG1fp4

Just in case you wanted to cram a 3090 in SFF.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

Similarly but much stupider, HardwareCanucks put a 3950X and a 3090 in a 7L Sentry 2.0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jppzfO6I6M

And they decided to cool the 3950X with an NH-L9A :pwn:

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
Thanks for the heads up, just grabbed an N200R off of Amazon. "Ncase M1 but bigger enough to be less of a pain in the rear end to work with" was pretty much exactly what I was looking for, and the only negatives I've seen were things like "it's 7 liters bigger it's not REALLY SFF" and "the materials are heavier" which I don't care at all about.

Now I just need a dang ol 3080 to put in there

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

denereal visease posted:

And they decided to cool the 3950X with an NH-L9A :pwn:

Yeeeah, I replaced mine for a larger cooler (ID Cooling IS-60) in my node 202 because the nh-l9a wasn't great for a 3600, let alone a 3950x

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

garfield hentai posted:

Thanks for the heads up, just grabbed an N200R off of Amazon. "Ncase M1 but bigger enough to be less of a pain in the rear end to work with" was pretty much exactly what I was looking for, and the only negatives I've seen were things like "it's 7 liters bigger it's not REALLY SFF" and "the materials are heavier" which I don't care at all about.

Now I just need a dang ol 3080 to put in there

I just "downgraded" from a Streacom DA2 with a 280mm EVGA CLC on my 9900k that could not do 5ghz below 85c under any circumstance, and now in this thing it's barely at 78C and it took me a tenth of the time to build in. I've owned the following sff cases:

Ncase M1
Dan Case A4
Cryorg Taku
Evolv Shift
Streacom DA2

and now the NR200R. And from an ease of build, this thing is above and beyond everyone else. If I could get this case in aluminium with less lovely looking mesh and better panel gap, I'd honestly pay $300 for it.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

I like the steel build of my NR200. Every time I see a black Ncase M1 it always looks greasy cause that thing is a fingerprint magnet

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

HalloKitty posted:

Yeeeah, I replaced mine for a larger cooler (ID Cooling IS-60) in my node 202 because the nh-l9a wasn't great for a 3600, let alone a 3950x

Aww man, I also currently have a Node 202 and am considering a 3700X to upgrade, and the NH-L9a is my current cooler choice :( Would sticking an intake fan onto the CPU vent help, as some build guides/videos I've seen seem to suggest?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Aww man, I also currently have a Node 202 and am considering a 3700X to upgrade, and the NH-L9a is my current cooler choice :( Would sticking an intake fan onto the CPU vent help, as some build guides/videos I've seen seem to suggest?

Some guy replaced the CPU vent filter with a 140mm Noctua fan but it looked like it was holding on just the rubbery tabs through the vent mesh which might be a bit flimsy. Alternatively, there's a 3d printable duct model available for the NH-L9a so it gets fresh air instead of recycling GPU exhaust.

Fwiw, I also got a LS-60 and replaced the fan with a low profile Noctua 120mm.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Don't get me wrong, it worked, and was OK, but it had to ramp up quite a bit, and I figured with a better heatsink I'd get a bit more boost headroom.

Arzachel posted:

Some guy replaced the CPU vent filter with a 140mm Noctua fan but it looked like it was holding on just the rubbery tabs through the vent mesh which might be a bit flimsy. Alternatively, there's a 3d printable duct model available for the NH-L9a so it gets fresh air instead of recycling GPU exhaust.

Fwiw, I also got a LS-60 and replaced the fan with a low profile Noctua 120mm.

Yeah, I also have the Noctua on mine, I didn't consider using the fan that came with it. Shame the mounting hardware on the IS-60 isn't anywhere near as nice as the Noctua NH-L9a, but it performs better.

Back to the NH-L9a duct suggestion; 3D printable ducts are a bit over the top - when looking at the NH-L9a packaging, I was inspired - the foam insert in the box of course has a 92mm square cutout, and. It happens to have enough thickness to bridge the gap between the fan on the NH-L9a and the side of the Node 202. Just cut off some of the excess with some scissors, and it fits. No 3D printing needed, one perfectly fitting custom duct for free. It is a good idea, because it stops hot air recycling.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 5, 2020

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

Looks like somebody was able to cleanly deshroud an MSI 3080 Ventus and put it in an M1, but they got kinda of lovely results.

Also found what is allegedly a deshrouded 3080 TUF in an M1, but there's no data associated with it.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADgZXh_p_NA

Silverstone you had one job with updating the SG-13 :smith:

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I'd like some advice for cooling in my nr200p build, which will be a 3700X with a FUMA 2 and a 3070 or 3080. I don't care a huge amount about peak optimum thermals/noise but if I need to poke around and adjust fan curves or whatever and it won't be too complicated I'm happy to do that. Basically I want a solution that's fairly simple and I can just leave it to do its thing once I've set everything up. I'm not interested in AIOs initially although I got the nr200 because there's plenty of scope if I decide I want to gently caress around with that in the future.

At the moment I'm planning on installing the GPU in the standard layout, with the two preinstalled fans at the top as exhaust and buying two Noctua A12x25 fans to install at the bottom as intake. I'll use the ventilated side panel because I'm not interested in any RGB stuff or seeing the innards, unless someone tells me the glass panel is much better for thermals or noise. Can other people with this case tell me if that's gonna be good enough, or is there some other setup that's much better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

That's pretty much optimal. The fuma2 won't fit with the glass panel so that isn't even an option.