Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Look like they caught it and fixed it but WTF.

EDIT: Nope haha they didn't - but looks like it was just a list of those that got shipped, my backer number wasn't on the list and neither was my email.

Ringo Star Get fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Sep 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

57 seconds and yeah me too.

Any idea what the batchsize will be this time?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

let the anger flow through your salt beef filling
Hello! I'd like a mechanical keyboard but I'm based in the UK. Can anyone recommend any UK outfits similar to WASD that do nice mechanical keyboards?

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Ringo Star Get posted:

Look like they caught it and fixed it but WTF.

EDIT: Nope haha they didn't - but looks like it was just a list of those that got shipped, my backer number wasn't on the list and neither was my email.

They actually emailed out the google drive link so there isn't any real way to fix this. Thankfully I also was not listed.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Apparently the Fusion was going to go up for sale on Amazon too, so this could have easily been avoided by just waiting.

This kind of sours my mood on doing more Kickstarter donations to projects - I just really wanted to get a cool unique mechanical keyboard :(

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
what options are there for buying keycaps that will ship in the short-term and aren't, like, six month limited time preorders? are there actually any?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Ringo Star Get posted:

Apparently the Fusion was going to go up for sale on Amazon too, so this could have easily been avoided by just waiting.
This kind of sours my mood on doing more Kickstarter donations to projects - I just really wanted to get a cool unique mechanical keyboard :(
Link? I can't find it there now.

Rexxed posted:

Weird, the one I saw just had backer number and DHL number, which isn't great but doesn't seem to have emails on it.
There's 2 spreadsheets.

LochNessMonster posted:

Any idea what the batchsize will be this time?
Not yet. I'm sure it depends on IC but I would venture probably around 200 as well since that appears to be a max for the creator and I'm certain there's at least that much interest.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Link? I can't find it there now.

Rumor has it that it'll go 'live' on October 20 so that may be why it's not showing up yet.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

abraham linksys posted:

what options are there for buying keycaps that will ship in the short-term and aren't, like, six month limited time preorders? are there actually any?

Massdrop actually has a bunch of keycaps ready to ship asap, last I checked.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

abraham linksys posted:

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/ has a bunch of stuff, as well as a couple of other sites

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Babby's first putting-switches-into-hotswap-sockets and qmk config was successful!!! I am very dumb and it took me like 20 minutes of mild panic to realize I had to put the vertical 2u switches in sideways.

Now I need to decide what random bullshit to put on my numpad layers!

Gwaihir posted:

If you want 1 of each switch to make your own switch tester I'd just.. Buy a bunch of switch testers, heh. Kbdfans has various sized kailh and zealios demos. Other switches are probably harder to find though. The fewest you can usually get is 10.
I already have a few! Zeal, Kailh Boxes, and Cherry.

Also I messaged Durock on Aliexpress on a whim to ask if they could assemble a sample pack for me and they totally did, so lemme know if anyone wants the link.

Epsilon Plus posted:

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/ has a bunch of stuff, as well as a couple of other sites
FWIW I've gotten caps from them before and they shipped in a very reasonable time period.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Switch tester update: not sure whether to :shepface: or :getin::

(the Cherry and Durock sets are somewhere between here and China)

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Not yet. I'm sure it depends on IC but I would venture probably around 200 as well since that appears to be a max for the creator and I'm certain there's at least that much interest.

This time it'll be 400 (first time was 100 I think). he did say he'll keep doing rounds until interest fades, so there's that.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Any of y'all have experience with the Logitech G915 or Razer Turret wireless keyboards? Looking to upgrade from my G613 and those two seem like the best options for me. I already have a G903 mouse so I don't really need the mouse the Turret comes with or the sliding mousepad but the two options are the same price so.

E: Wait nm the turret doesn't have a numpad that's cancelled lmao.

Anyway I still haven't found a perfect wireless keyboard that's full size with mechanical switches so if anyone has a suggestion I'm all ears.

Bakalakadaka fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 1, 2020

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

The Grumbles posted:

Hello! I'd like a mechanical keyboard but I'm based in the UK. Can anyone recommend any UK outfits similar to WASD that do nice mechanical keyboards?

Don't know about 'similar to WASD' but these are good UK starting points for mechanical keyboards :
. http://www.ukkeycaps.co.uk/
. https://keyboardco.com/

And overclockers.co.uk do Ducky and some other makes but don't tend to have that much in stock at a time.

I got a V60 Type-R Polestar from keyboardco and I've been happy with that as a 60%-er to replace the ancient Happy Hacking Lite I had for about 15 years before it started playing up :). Can also take the open source QMK firmware : https://qmk.fm/

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
kbdfans has ready to ship keycaps as well, although the selection varies intensely.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

My Durgod Fusion showed up. I'm happy with the color match between the Steam color version and the 8bitdo NES inspired mouse. The controller is very different on the button color but I don't really care about that, and could probably 3d print something if I did. The main grey on the case is pretty close between the mouse and keyboard, but the photo makes the keyboard look quite a bit lighter. In person it's close.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Rexxed posted:

My Durgod Fusion showed up. I'm happy with the color match between the Steam color version and the 8bitdo NES inspired mouse. The controller is very different on the button color but I don't really care about that, and could probably 3d print something if I did. The main grey on the case is pretty close between the mouse and keyboard, but the photo makes the keyboard look quite a bit lighter. In person it's close.

Aren't purple buttons SNES and red ones NES? Digging back in my memory for that one

Ninja edit: yep, that's why, the round controller is a SNES and the mouse is a NES. Gotta pay more attention to your retro consoles, bud

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
SNES mouse is ugly af though

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Canuck-Errant posted:

Aren't purple buttons SNES and red ones NES? Digging back in my memory for that one

Ninja edit: yep, that's why, the round controller is a SNES and the mouse is a NES. Gotta pay more attention to your retro consoles, bud

Well those buttons are kind of in between, they're like maroon. 8bitdo has one with the light purple buttons and the SNES had two dark purple and two light. The body color on the other version is more SNES, though. I think they intentionally use similar color schemes but don't match entirely just so Nintendo doesn't get all litigious, like they do.

Anyway it doesn't much matter that they're all identical to my NES from the 80s, they're all going to be more for an NES themed emulation station than anything. The NES mouse is kind of neat functionality wise since they put a sensor between the two buttons so you can scroll with it, and the thumb d-pad is four direction. For every day use the shape with the sharpish corner might not be great but I won't be using it all of the time.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

The maroon buttons/darker plastic/d-pad details are aping the classic Gameboy, is why.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

8bitdo is doing a 1:1 replica, you can get one in european SNES famicom colors as well

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Abroham Lincoln posted:

The maroon buttons/darker plastic/d-pad details are aping the classic Gameboy, is why.

Oh yeah, I never had a gameboy so it didn't click immediately but I see that now.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

I've noticed that my period key on my VA87 is pinging (thankfully it's the only one). Is that something I could fix without desoldering the switch? I read somewhere you can get some lube in by holding down the stem and sorta wedging it in to the side but I don't wanna gently caress anything up.

In further switch tester news, I got a sampler of somewhat higher-end switches to try, and I gotta say, I get the NK_ Cream, Boba U4, and Holy Panda hype. NK_ Blueberries have a nice bump but feel a little bit rough compared to some of the other tactiles, guessing that's better with lube?

I also ended up grabbing a cheap Varmilo numpad on clearance and wow, I actually like Cherry MX Black?? Feels so cushiony, I thought I'd never be into linear switches...

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Stroop There It Is posted:

I've noticed that my period key on my VA87 is pinging (thankfully it's the only one). Is that something I could fix without desoldering the switch? I read somewhere you can get some lube in by holding down the stem and sorta wedging it in to the side but I don't wanna gently caress anything up.

In further switch tester news, I got a sampler of somewhat higher-end switches to try, and I gotta say, I get the NK_ Cream, Boba U4, and Holy Panda hype. NK_ Blueberries have a nice bump but feel a little bit rough compared to some of the other tactiles, guessing that's better with lube?

I also ended up grabbing a cheap Varmilo numpad on clearance and wow, I actually like Cherry MX Black?? Feels so cushiony, I thought I'd never be into linear switches...

The creams and the blueberry switches are a bit scratchy. It takes a while to break them in too. They do feel better with lube but they don't hold lube very well.
I'd recommend breaking them in if you can stand to.

Cherry Black switches are actually good. Vintage cherry blacks are even better if you can get your hands on enough of them to make a good set.
I want to try those Boba switches. They have my interest piqued.
You're not going to be able to fix that pinging on the vm87 switch without desoldering it and disassembling it. You need to lube the spring to do that.

In other news AI03 just announced a groupbuy date for the Andromeda. October 24th.
Still no word on what colors will be available though. Or price. Or construction... Pretty lul for a keyboard that is going to be "$Very Expensive"
https://www.instagram.com/p/CF9-QeEn0xT/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
What switch is it? For certain switches you can just pop off the top housing. What you'd need to lube is the spring most likely and not the stem.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Constellation I posted:

What switch is it? For certain switches you can just pop off the top housing. What you'd need to lube is the spring most likely and not the stem.
It's a Zealio V2 67g.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

The creams and the blueberry switches are a bit scratchy. It takes a while to break them in too. They do feel better with lube but they don't hold lube very well.
I'd recommend breaking them in if you can stand to.

Cherry Black switches are actually good. Vintage cherry blacks are even better if you can get your hands on enough of them to make a good set.
I want to try those Boba switches. They have my interest piqued.
You're not going to be able to fix that pinging on the vm87 switch without desoldering it and disassembling it. You need to lube the spring to do that.
Ah okay, it's just one on the tester so I can very easily break those in! More excuses to play with it the better.

I'd say the Boba U4 67g feels a lot like Zilents except with even less wobble, big fan here. (Regular caveat that I haven't actually typed on them)

Other big finding from my switch tester adventures if that either I'm unlucky or Outemu springs are noisy af.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Stroop There It Is posted:

It's a Zealio V2 67g.

Ah okay, it's just one on the tester so I can very easily break those in! More excuses to play with it the better.

I'd say the Boba U4 67g feels a lot like Zilents except with even less wobble, big fan here. (Regular caveat that I haven't actually typed on them)

Other big finding from my switch tester adventures if that either I'm unlucky or Outemu springs are noisy af.

wait is the va87 pcb mount? I thought it was plate mount.
If it's pcb mount then you can probably just pop the switch top off. Otherwise it most likely has to come out. Sorta depends on the shape of your plate holes though, but more likely than not you're going to have to desolder.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Yeah I am pretty sure it's plate mounted. :rip: It's not super loud or anything, just a mild annoyance. Oh well!

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Rexxed posted:

Well those buttons are kind of in between, they're like maroon. 8bitdo has one with the light purple buttons and the SNES had two dark purple and two light. The body color on the other version is more SNES, though. I think they intentionally use similar color schemes but don't match entirely just so Nintendo doesn't get all litigious, like they do.

My SNES has red/yellow/blue/green for A/B/X/Y, and I've don't ever remember seen those purple buttons and seeing this pic made me wonder if I had some knockoff version.

It turns out that was a US thing and was done to match the colours used on the redesigned console, compared to the original Japanese console which was all-grey. The design change differentiated the PAL and NTSC editions. The NTSC one is heaps boxier too, and the button positions are different.

See here for examples.

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Oct 6, 2020

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
Are there any mechanical keyboards that have quiet or silent keys? I love the feel of mechanical keyboards but sometimes it's too loud.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Do you want tactile or linear switches?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

thehandtruck posted:

Are there any mechanical keyboards that have quiet or silent keys? I love the feel of mechanical keyboards but sometimes it's too loud.

Yes, anything with silenced switches, Cheery/Kailh silenced red or blacks are probably the most common. There are others but you get far more expensive, quickly.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

thehandtruck posted:

Yes, there are both quiet and silent key switches. The former are much easier to find--anything that isn't "clicky" like a Blue switch will be comparatively quiet (the most common ones will be Cherry MX Browns or Reds and equivalent clones of those switches) but will still make some noise. Silent switches are less common but you can find a fair number of mechanical keyboards prebuilt with Cherry MX Silent Reds or Blacks, which have sound dampeners built in. You can also put o-rings onto each keycap to reduce the noise further as a minor modification.

e: welp shoulda refreshed, efb

Other content: I really want to know how POM jelly caps like these feel, any of y'all tried em? I think I'm imagining kind of a rubberized feel to them even though that is unlikely given the material

Stroop There It Is fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 7, 2020

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

thehandtruck posted:

MX silent reds are the easiest to find. They are also quiet on the upstroke due to the design. They feel pretty decent too. If you want tactile you could look into adding some sort of haptic feedback.

Additionally you can be a lot quieter learning to type without bottoming out.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
Thanks for the info everyone, I will look into some options.

Arcturas posted:

Do you want tactile or linear switches?

I don't have a ton of experience with the difference so I'm half guessing but I think linear.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

FFFUUUUUCCCCKKKKK

Hex 6C group buy went live yesterday and I missed it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

.Z. posted:

FFFUUUUUCCCCKKKKK

rip. well there's still Wyvern... https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=105187.0

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

.Z. posted:

FFFUUUUUCCCCKKKKK

I have a 3c and I’m not super impressed so far, so maybe not a huge deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
In the same vein of lackluster affordable boards:
The Mark 65

https://boardsource.xyz/store

I gave no idea if it will be good or not. Caveat Emptor and all that.