Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Google has gone mad with power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
"Has gone"?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Nothing says "Kill our market share" like sunsetting one application and not giving you the same access in the new one.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
how big is the intersection of android auto users and play music users who don't have a subscription?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

butt dickus posted:

how big is the intersection of android auto users and play music users who don't have a subscription?

Everyone who was using the service to play music they uploaded themselves? Seeing how many people are coming here asking about stand alone apps to play music stored on their device, quite a bit. I'd guess if you aren't looking to play your own music, then you are using Spotify instead.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Yeah I've used Google Play Music for my own music library since before they introduced the streaming/radio-like feature, and I have never had any interest whatsoever in the latter. As time went on they made the streaming part more and more front-and-center but possible to ignore. Now they've made your own music library crazy annoying to access.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Uthor posted:

Everyone who was using the service to play music they uploaded themselves? Seeing how many people are coming here asking about stand alone apps to play music stored on their device, quite a bit. I'd guess if you aren't looking to play your own music, then you are using Spotify instead.
that's not what i asked. how many of them are also using android auto? maybe a lot? it doesn't matter, though, because those users only cost them money

i pay for youtube premium/youtube music and it's incredibly cheap for being able to stream whatever i want and not have to deal with ads or hacks/workarounds, highly recommended

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

butt dickus posted:

it doesn't matter, though, because those users only cost them money

I doubt this is true, I always assumed google was making hella money selling marketing data and ads based on what kind of music I listen to, like all of their other products. You think people using gmail for free costs them money too?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

ok advertisers, here's what we have on the guy:
-listens to music
-doesn't pay us for it
-uses our bandwidth

start your bidding now

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

"Our deep learning models predict that people who listen to a lot of neutral milk hotel in july, a random kick of 90s grunge in august, and have such and such a mix of music in their library, tend to think about buying a new vacuum cleaner in october."

Come on google pioneered this poo poo, you really aren't aware that that's why their services are free?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

and that's why this one isn't free, because they figured out it doesn't make them money

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Is the pocketcasts interface still garbage? When they changed everything I uninstalled it, got an old APK and turned off auto updates.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

nexus6 posted:

Is the pocketcasts interface still garbage? When they changed everything I uninstalled it, got an old APK and turned off auto updates.

it's fine, get in

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

butt dickus posted:

and that's why this one isn't free, because they figured out it doesn't make them money

This is a horrible analogy. Advertising and farming people data is literally the purpose for making content free. Pandora did it for years when they were the first, hell basic network TV still does it today. It's one thing if they want to only allow subscribers of YT Music access to the app on android auto, but that wasn't communicated so you can imagine people would be pretty annoyed by it.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

yes it's a horrible analogy because it isn't an analogy. someone had to make the decision to put that paywall in there, and they did it after the bean counters (or AI bean counters) said something

i understand how advertising enables free products, but there's a breakeven point it has to hit first. i'm going to make the extremely controversial statement that the world-leader in this field knows more than any of us, but i guess it's possible that the "uploaded their pirated mp3 collection to our servers" demographic is extremely valuable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTD0Hd6jbvk

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Fact is my music collection is 99.9% legal, including stuff I purchased through Google Play Music and I had an app that would play that music and it would work with Auto and now I can neither purchase music from Google nor play the music I did purchase from them in the car.

Which means that next time Google wants me to buy something, I will think twice about it. I would purchase TV shows from them because "YouTube isn't going anywhere" and now even that is giving me pause.

It also makes me not want to use YT Music at all. If it did push me to paying for it, I would look at my other options because YT Music is messing with how I've listened to music for years. If it were a 1:1 copy of GPM, I'd be much more inclined to keep using it, but now I am interesting in what other companies are providing. Maybe it will push me to stream, but "gently caress Google, I'll get Spotify". Or I roll my own and use Plex. Either way, Google products are low on my list of alternatives.

It's not like Google makes any money from me using PocketCasts or Spotify through Auto. That entire service seems built on making you use Maps/Waze and getting more location and tracking data.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Firefox Beta updated a day or two ago. It looks like that weird duplication in the app switcher has been fixed.

Also, it looks like AntennaPod fixed the media notification duplication bug.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Uthor posted:

including stuff I purchased through Google Play Music and I had an app that would play that music and it would work with Auto and now I can neither purchase music from Google nor play the music I did purchase from them in the car.
oof, locking you out of music you bought from them is total horseshit on google's part. this support issue is still active and someone posted a janky workaround at the end
https://support.google.com/androidauto/thread/47635015

quote:

I was having the same issue when trying to use YouTube Music on AA.
Found a way around it though.
Start playing the song on the app first. Then plug it into AA.
Song continues playing and you can skip between songs as usual etc.
No issues also using Google aps etc at the same time, works fine for me.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Jigoku posted:

Also, it looks like AntennaPod fixed the media notification duplication bug.

How does it treat it now? The way Pocket Casts works is if you don't use the queue, it just puts a dead notification in the media player that can't even launch the app because the podcast you just listened to automatically deleted and now it doesn't point anywhere. The whole (stupid) point of a persistent media interface is that you can swipe between things that have played audio but of the only two audio apps I use, Spotify and Pocket Casts, one won't persist (Spotify) and the other won't launch the app.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

nexus6 posted:

I was in the same boat when the change happened initially, I held on to the old version for over a year.

I tried the updated version when I changed phones last month and I'm happy with it now.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

LastInLine posted:

but of the only two audio apps I use, Spotify and Pocket Casts, one won't persist (Spotify) and the other won't launch the app.

I haven't noticed that yet for Pocket Casts, but can confirm the Spotify one vanishes over time for no reason.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

vyst posted:

This is a horrible analogy. Advertising and farming people data is literally the purpose for making content free. Pandora did it for years when they were the first, hell basic network TV still does it today. It's one thing if they want to only allow subscribers of YT Music access to the app on android auto, but that wasn't communicated so you can imagine people would be pretty annoyed by it.
It's why crappy TV and radio serials are called soap operas, even: they were intended to keep the average housewife's attention in between trying to sell them detergents and such.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

This morning Google Voice refused to place a call without me getting a Google Voice number. I'm a regular user of Voice literally since 2010, and never had a reason for getting a number. Does anyone know what's happening with Google Voice that would prompt this?

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

LastInLine posted:

How does it treat it now? The way Pocket Casts works is if you don't use the queue, it just puts a dead notification in the media player that can't even launch the app because the podcast you just listened to automatically deleted and now it doesn't point anywhere. The whole (stupid) point of a persistent media interface is that you can swipe between things that have played audio but of the only two audio apps I use, Spotify and Pocket Casts, one won't persist (Spotify) and the other won't launch the app.

Okay, to follow up on this because I said I would after further testing...

Pocket Casts works correctly. If a podcast ends and auto - deletes, it’ll still show that podcast in the notification but if I click on it, it opens up to whatever normal menu I was last at.

Podcast Addict does something similar to what you are experiencing with Pocket Casts, only it opens up to a blank useless player since the podcast ended and is deleted. I can still leave that player to get to the app, though.

The Spotify notification will disappear after playback ends within a half hour.

AntennaPod one works mostly fine but it’ll sometimes only appear in the quick settings menu even while playing and it’ll sometimes disappear randomly hours after playback, but at least it doesn’t make a new entry for every single podcast. [Fake edit: I just went to check the Pocket Casts one and AntennaPod started to do that again]

So I guess Google did the stupid Google thing it always does and left part of the implementation of the widget up to the app developers to fix so we are all seeing buggy or inconsistent behavior per app, per phone.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I made my Pocket Casts notification go away when the episode ends because I didn't want it hanging around when I'm not using the app, but about an hour ago it disappeared while listening and I have to unlock my phone and pull up the app to interact with it. It's not the first time that the notification just disappeared.

Weirdly, the ambient display still shows the title of the current episode.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Uthor posted:

I made my Pocket Casts notification go away when the episode ends because I didn't want it hanging around when I'm not using the app, but about an hour ago it disappeared while listening and I have to unlock my phone and pull up the app to interact with it. It's not the first time that the notification just disappeared.

Weirdly, the ambient display still shows the title of the current episode.

Yeah that's happened to me a bunch. Until Spotify hangs around there's no use keeping the notification. Maybe my "dead" notification stems from having enabled the setting without restarting or using a different app?

Jigoku, you're definitely right about it being left to the app developer. Ron said as much (many times) in his Android 11 review. Thanks for the detailed write-up, it was interesting.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Would be cool if google had media controls in the control center like iOS does instead of relying on notifications

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Celexi posted:

Would be cool if google had media controls in the control center like iOS does instead of relying on notifications

If it was something optional in the quick settings ui, totally. I don't want more persistent ui elements I can't turn off and I don't think I'm alone in that

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Celexi posted:

That's exactly what isn't working, persistent media controls in the Quick Settings Panel which is Android's analogue to the Control Center.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

So I just got a Nest Hub while I was trying to figure out how to put my recipes on there, I learned that I need to add them to a Google Collection. That's annoying but I can do that, I only have about 20 recipes saved so I thought it wouldn't take too long. But it looks like Collections support isn't in Chrome on Android 11? According to this article I should have a collections bookmark icon at the top of Chrome next to the address bar. But I don't have anything there, or in the settings window. Anyone know what I'm missing here?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Soysaucebeast posted:

So I just got a Nest Hub while I was trying to figure out how to put my recipes on there, I learned that I need to add them to a Google Collection. That's annoying but I can do that, I only have about 20 recipes saved so I thought it wouldn't take too long. But it looks like Collections support isn't in Chrome on Android 11? According to this article I should have a collections bookmark icon at the top of Chrome next to the address bar. But I don't have anything there, or in the settings window. Anyone know what I'm missing here?

You can only do it from a search from Google or from within the Google app. Similarly it says that's how it works on a computer but I can't get it to work.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

LastInLine posted:

You can only do it from a search from Google or from within the Google app. Similarly it says that's how it works on a computer but I can't get it to work.

Yeah, if I do a Google search (in the app) it just pops up with links, and if I click a link it opens it in chrome and there's still no icon for me to click to save it. It's so weird.

Edit: If I go over to the images tab in Google, I can save the recipes from there. How does that make any sense?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Soysaucebeast posted:

Yeah, if I do a Google search (in the app) it just pops up with links, and if I click a link it opens it in chrome and there's still no icon for me to click to save it. It's so weird.

Edit: If I go over to the images tab in Google, I can save the recipes from there. How does that make any sense?

Collections are easily the most half-baked (least-baked?) concept in the Google pantheon. I think the idea is that it's a Pinterest clone, but it has no buy-in from anybody at all and is only accessible through image search and apparently some Google searches. The weirdest aspect is that even if you add to collections, there's no good way to view or share those same collections, so what's the point?

It surprised me when you said they have a product and use case that requires it since it seems to me that it's obviously not going to be around for long. It would seem to me that they'd be better off trying to make some tool that aggregates recipes from around the web, with users being able to point it at some site and then edit it within the tool for clarity for presentation on Nest Hubs and then using that user curation to expand the library from which Nest Hubs could pull, but that requires a clarity of vision that Google simply doesn't have.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

So is appy weather where all the darksky refugees landed? I'm using it and like it but I guess don't love it :(

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Maneki Neko posted:

So is appy weather where all the darksky refugees landed? I'm using it and like it but I guess don't love it :(

I've been using Shadow Weather and liking it quite a bit.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

hooah posted:

I've been using Shadow Weather and liking it quite a bit.

Does it have a widget? With a 48 h rain graph?

As of now I still use Arcus, and it still works, too. But the writing's on the wall, so I'm looking like everybody else.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Lawson posted:

As of now I still use Arcus, and it still works, too. But the writing's on the wall, so I'm looking like everybody else.

Looks like it doesn't. It's got current weather, minutely rain, next 5 days, and next 6 hours.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Lawson posted:

Everything you'll be looking at is using the same API so there's really no reason to give up on what you've got until the API dies in 2022. Every other app that offers the same feature set will die at the same time so there's no reason to transition now.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
If you are in an area covered by the NWS and your office has a handle on you local weather, put a shortcut to the hourly weather graph on your homescreen. It's not a widget, but it will have all the data at-a-glance with one tap. (I have it set to show in desktop mode because for some reason the mobile site won't show it.) It's what I moved to when nothing else quite did the job of WeatherUnderground's old graph widget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

LastInLine posted:

Collections are easily the most half-baked (least-baked?) concept in the Google pantheon. I think the idea is that it's a Pinterest clone, but it has no buy-in from anybody at all and is only accessible through image search and apparently some Google searches. The weirdest aspect is that even if you add to collections, there's no good way to view or share those same collections, so what's the point?

It surprised me when you said they have a product and use case that requires it since it seems to me that it's obviously not going to be around for long. It would seem to me that they'd be better off trying to make some tool that aggregates recipes from around the web, with users being able to point it at some site and then edit it within the tool for clarity for presentation on Nest Hubs and then using that user curation to expand the library from which Nest Hubs could pull, but that requires a clarity of vision that Google simply doesn't have.

Even better is i just tried it out and the Nest Hub doesn't recognize a recipe collection unless it was made WITH the hub. I transferred my cookbook from my app into the collections after I posted here and my Hub wouldn't even see that list. If I remake a cookbook with the Hub everything pops up in the app on my phone, but I can't add anything in app. I have to go back over to the Hub to add stuff.

This is really dumb, and I can't add homemade recipes unless it's also online somewhere. I got the Hub half off thankfully, because I mostly wanted it for the step by step recipe integration and if I paid full price I'd be pissed.