Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

dis astranagant posted:

Sounds like Digimon World 3 all over again.

Cyber Sleuth is s good game though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

thetoughestbean posted:

Cyber Sleuth is s good game though

It is, but jesus christ I don't know how you managed to slug through on hard, I got to the point of beating the silver cup and the grind felt awful, normal mode felt much better (and then in Hacker's Memory once I understood how to break the game, even faster).

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I switched to Hard on my first playthrough because Normal was being just boring (and you get more money and item drops if you're on Hard so that's an extra), but it's true it's not balanced at all, specially bosses' ridiculous HP. The strategy almost always ends up being having a strong Digimon with a special attack that ignores defense and the others supporting it. Normal is okay to just run a team of your favorites without worrying about optimization though.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

drrockso20 posted:

It would be better that way, but in many respects this is basically a thought experiment about how they should have handled it back then

The idea of Robotech-ing a series together out of unrelated shows or movies is one that pops up occasionally in Mecha anime discussions as a thought experiment, and I've seen a couple of interesting or semi-plausible suggestions, but it's never REALLY serious.

And while I'm on the subject I wonder if you could hack in movie 5 as the third part using Omegamon as the bridge.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Petiso posted:

I switched to Hard on my first playthrough because Normal was being just boring (and you get more money and item drops if you're on Hard so that's an extra), but it's true it's not balanced at all, specially bosses' ridiculous HP. The strategy almost always ends up being having a strong Digimon with a special attack that ignores defense and the others supporting it. Normal is okay to just run a team of your favorites without worrying about optimization though.

I just beat the Seven Deadly Digimon on hard and I didn’t really rely on the piercing attacks too often. Chaosmon or Omegamon hitting with physical moves often worked well enough.

I had to make sure I was using equipped items and using the right team set up (Hououmon was super helpful for instance because its ability flat out blocks instant death, which is a godsend verses Leviamon). Alphamon Ouryuken was surprisingly less useful than Chaosmon, because AO only has one equip slot versus Chaosmon’s three, so you can’t slap, say, three Flare Guard DXs and block 90% of the fire damage coming in like you could with Chaosmon.

The fights were fun imo because they became “can you set up properly so you don’t immediately wiped out by the first attack and then survive the battle of attrition afterwards”, because you were so outmatched if you didn’t make sure to set up properly

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

You know, I'm enjoying Adventure 20 but I really hope the show isn't going to have Omegamon come in to beat the villain of EVERY major arc...

On the upside it looks like Deathmon is Devimon's boss and therefore the current main villain so I'm jazzed he's finally going to have an appearance, even if he may end up being ganked by Omegamon again. Swings and roundabouts as they say.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Adventure: 18 Man, after the Orochimon episode, this was a big letdown. It was a long string of Nidhoggmon and Omegamon staring at each other and everyone looking shocked.

Until the last two minutes, which was pretty great.

I also hope we don't see Omegamon for a while.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yeah I get the feeling now TK isn't in the same realm as Kari to be fusion material. that they're probably not gonna be able to reliably use that trick again for a while.

That said this episode was very slight and you could have just rolled the timer and what I assume to be Homiostatis with Kari and TK getting Isikai'd into the Orchimon fight, had it all sorted the first swing around and not lost much.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Oct 4, 2020

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
We've got a long way to go with this series at least as it's meant to be 66 episodes (5 cours) so while the pacing has felt a little bit wonky pushing out all of the Adult and Perfect forms as quickly as possible, I think we're finally gonna get to actually have them get some proper interaction with each other.

Or they'll just show off more digimon. Either/or.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Oct 4, 2020

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Adventure: 18

Yeah the episode was a let down. What could have been a great fight scene with Omegamon bouncing between buildings and deflecting lasers was just kind of a stare-off. I was also hoping for Takeru and Hikari to get ported in. Hopefully the show remembers it has 6/8 kids and not just 2.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I kind of feel like they ran out of animation budget by this point after using most of it up for the Eyesmon and Orochimon fights, which is a shame since this is supposed to be the huge finale of the arc.

Probably my biggest complain of the episode is that the others just sat there for the duration of the fight. I get that everyone's exhausted from the Orochimon battle, but Agumon and Gabumon still got up to face Nidhoggmon, even if Taichi and Yamato had to help them get close to the frontline. I wouldn't have even minded if the other Digimons evolved but got smacked down because at least they would've tried to do something, especially when the point of the episode is that there's a time limit until Tokyo gets blown up.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Mummymon and Arukenimon cards were announced

quote:

Mummymon:
[When Attacking] By paying 3 Memory, play 1 "MaloMyotismon" from your Trash without paying its cost. Then, destroy this Digimon.
Arukenimon:
[When Attacking] By paying 3 Memory, play 1 "MaloMyotismon" from your hand without paying its cost. Then, destroy this Digimon.

I love it

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev9IGZpDpOI

Preview for next week.

Some less-seen Digimon appearing alongside Leomon.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

thetoughestbean posted:

Mummymon and Arukenimon cards were announced

I'm in awe at how well they've been able to tie lore into these cards.

Nodosaur posted:

Preview for next week.

Oh hey, it's those Anteater Zako dorks from Xross Wars

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nodosaur posted:

Preview for next week.

Nod, buddy, I dont' think spoiling Leomon works when Leomon makes up the entire Leomon thumbnail about Leomon.

Leomon.

And yeah this was a mild let down. But it does paint the future well enough- this was basically the Mansion from OG Adventure, Devimon has now split the cast, TK is in the digital world, so we're probably building up to Angemon VS Devimon and then we're LIKELY going to the human world to meet up with Hikari .

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Whatever. Spadamon. Falcomon. Peckmon. Bullmon. Minotaurumon. It's neat to see them.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Bane of my 9-year old existence Bulbmon makes his terrible return.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I wonder how they got "Bulbmon" from "Valvemon" back in the day.

Probably the "b"="v" thing.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

If anyone here is into the virtual pets, Bandai just listed the preorders for the second set of Pendulum Zs. Weirdly they're on P-Bandai US even though the first wave wasn't.

More importantly, though, the Metal Empire Pendulum has Gundramon.

Emong fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 5, 2020

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
B and V being swappable and he doesn't look much like a Valve either.

He's a weird design

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Nodosaur posted:

Kerpymon

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Burkion posted:

B and V being swappable and he doesn't look much like a Valve either.

He's a weird design

His arms/legs are valves and one of his attacks is called "Mad Pump".

He don't look like a bulb much either.

Anyway, forget all that, here's a bunch of new Digimon in the new Pendulums.

Poomumon, Parasaumon, Tropiamon, and Entmon in the top row.

Junkmon, Machmon, and Rebellimon in the middle row.

And Baluchimon, Mimicmon, and Manticoremon on the bottom.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The previous set took a bit to grow on me (sans Ghostmon, Ghostmon is the best) but this one's intensely good. I love all of these so much.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Rebellimon and Mimicmon are loving fantastic.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Emong posted:

If anyone here is into the virtual pets, Bandai just listed the preorders for the second set of Pendulum Zs. Weirdly they're on P-Bandai US even though the first wave wasn't.

More importantly, though, the Metal Empire Pendulum has Gundramon.

Thanks for the heads up, will definitely preorder.

I’m so glad to see Gundramon. This is only his second official appearance, I think. The first was one of the phone games

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Rebellimon is the product of a drunken one night stand between Immortan Joe and an Ork and I am so here for it.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

How long until we get art of Beelzemon riding Rebellimon.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

that'd look really weird

Machmon would make more sense

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Nodosaur posted:

Preview for next week.

Look at all those digimon that now have levels as of two days ago.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I love these plant dinos so much

e: also manticoremon

Leraika fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 5, 2020

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
These designs are all so good. What a great palate cleanser after the somewhat disappointing Nidhoggmon design.

I wish that we had been able to order the first three from PBandai US, but I'll take what I can get. Hope I can get the other two from the first wave for decent prices come November.

Edit: Aaand done. My wallet weeps.

Sleeping Sigma fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 5, 2020

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Junkmon looks like those Digimon evolution memes and I love him dearly.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Mimicmon is just Punished Giromon.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Sleeping Sigma posted:

These designs are all so good. What a great palate cleanser after the somewhat disappointing Nidhoggmon design.

I blame poor presentation in the anime for that. The official art for Nidhoggmon looks great.

Though I am also very in favor of the new Pendulum 'mons, they're exceptional.

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
Baluchimon is definitely a digivolution for Tapir/Bakumon. Rebellimon looks like it would fit in an Ogremon line. Parasaurmon is adorable.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
tropiamon would make a good partner digimon in a show or game

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Profiles

Pomumon
Child - Data - Plant Type
Although it looks like a Bird-type, it is a Plant Digimon whose body is packed with juice of a high sugar content like that of a fruit. For that reason, it has many natural predators such as Bird and Insect Digimon. Despite having wings, it is mainly active on land because its flight speed is so slow that it becomes defenseless.

When it senses danger, it protects itself with "Rapid Seed", in which it spits out countless seed-like bullets from its mouth. Its "Fruits Rush", where it curls up and speeds off, is often used as a means of escape rather than an attack.

Parasaurmon
Adult - Virus - Dinosaur Type
A gentle Dinosaur Digimon that lives in a warm climate. The fruit-like organs around its long neck sprinkle a sweet scent into its surroundings. This scent has the role of informing the herd of their position, and it seems that the scent differs slightly depending on the individual.

It is often attacked by other Digimon that are drawn in by its scent, but it deprives invading enemies of their freedom with the numbing gas "Palsy Sweet" that spews out of its mouth. In battle, it emits its "Wavy Oktavist", a super-low-pitched cry that crushes even rocks, at a loud volume, and engulfs several tens of meters around it in a whirlpool of destruction.

Tropiamon
Perfect - Virus - Plant Type
A Plant Digimon that inhabits jungles. It is thought to have evolved into its gaudy appearance by taking in the data of various trees and fruits. The scent from its body, which is like a mixture of all kinds of fruits, is so intense that those who are not used to it will be knocked out by force. The drops secreted from its leaves, which act like wings, are so toxic that they can even dissolve iron.

Its Special Move is dispersing a large amount of explosive pollen from the petals around its neck (Petally Carnage). Also, its "Tropical Venom", gas spewed out of its mouth, is a potent poison that matures within its body, and causes those who inhale it to dissolve into a mushy state from the inside out.

Entmon
Perfect - Virus - Plant Type
A Plant Digimon with a body woven and fused together from decayed trees. Its whole body has rotted away in several places, and mold grows on parts where the bark is exposed. Its body is packed with a large number of insects, acting as the muscles that move its body around. It is very terrifying to see the insects spill out of the joints all over its body each time it takes off with its dead leaf wings.

Its Special Moves are skewering the enemy with its sharp stake-like tusks (Dryad Stinger), and spewing a dark miasma which completely withers the opponent's body (Blasted Disaster). The true form of the miasma is countless tiny insects that turn a Digimon's data into nourishment.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Nodosaur posted:

バルブ is both bulb and valve. Presumably some translator was handed the word バルブモン without any context and translated it normally.

On the subject of katakana transliteration, is it possible the rookie plant-dino from the new pendulums (ポームモン) is Pomemon? At first I figured it was Pommemon(as in the French word for apple) but it’s seems that’s usually rendered as just ポム. ポーム seems to usually be used for paume (French for palm) but that wouldn’t make much sense. There’s always the possibility it’s short for something plant or dinosaur related that I don’t know about too... but I’m gonna go with Pomemon for now.

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Oct 5, 2020

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

バルブ is both bulb and valve. Presumably some translator was handed the word バルブモン without any context and translated it normally.

On the subject of katakana transliteration, is it possible the rookie plant-dino from the new pendulums (ポームモン) is Pomemon? At first I figured it was Pommemon(as in the French word for apple) but it’s seems that’s usually rendered as just ポム. ポーム seems to usually be used for paume (French for palm) but that wouldn’t make much sense. There’s always the possibility it’s short for something plant or dinosaur related that I don’t know about too... but I’m gonna go with Pomemon for now.

We already have the official romanizations for every Nature Spirits Digimon. It's Pomumon, though it is from what you correctly deduced.

Of course, that they're official doesn't make them right, because Toei and Bandai are horrendous at romanizing things, as shown by our newest mistake, Toropiamon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Blaze Dragon posted:

We already have the official romanizations for every Nature Spirits Digimon. It's Pomumon, though it is from what you correctly deduced.

Of course, that they're official doesn't make them right, because Toei and Bandai are horrendous at romanizing things, as shown by our newest mistake, Toropiamon.

Oh, I didn’t even think to check for an official translation, lol