Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
This manga remains the best thing running in WSJ by a mile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Super Jay Mann posted:

Also the Colonel's "secret" being his personal stash of totally-not-idol photos is the best punchline to this whole ordeal I could've hoped for :allears:

I honestly think this chapter redeems the whole story arc surrounding Nightfall. I'm not exactly enthused with her as a character as her funniest bits are when Anya can react to her inner monologues. But the combination of getting dunked on by Yor, the truth behind this stash of idol merch, and the promise that Yor and Lloyd will make progress. I think tennis arc turned out just fine.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the funny exaggerated tennis opponents made the arc. it didn't need to be redeemed.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
"I report the weak tennis players to the SSS" was the tiny line that elevated it to perfection.

Also, Nightfall pretty much has to end up with Yor's brother. She's the only one intense enough to purge him of his sister complex.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Yor is powerful.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Darth TNT posted:

I did not see that one coming. I was sure she missed for comedy’s sake. But nope super human Yor!

[/spoiler]

Same. This panel really helped sell it.

:frogbon:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I love how absolutely nobody* is questioning why in the name of God is this random pretend housewife capable of keeping up with the best West Germanian Westalian spies. Score one for Yor's stealth skills I guess.

Seriously, isn't paranoia a necessary survival skill in this business?

*technically Anya isn't questioning this because she already knows why.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Omobono posted:

I love how absolutely nobody* is questioning why in the name of God is this random pretend housewife capable of keeping up with the best West Germanian Westalian spies. Score one for Yor's stealth skills I guess.

Seriously, isn't paranoia a necessary survival skill in this business?

*technically Anya isn't questioning this because she already knows why.

I mean it isn't that crazy to be running into people with insanely superhuman skills in their line of work (see: everything about the Tennis tournament). It really seems to have skewed their expectations for what a 'normal' person can do.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Zore posted:

I mean it isn't that crazy to be running into people with insanely superhuman skills in their line of work (see: everything about the Tennis tournament). It really seems to have skewed their expectations for what a 'normal' person can do.

Yeah and for her part she then ran off to the mountains to do some Roronoa Zoro training to improve her serve with a giant boulder. Human capabilities are nuts in this world.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zore posted:

I remember some stuff early on suggesting that Twilight's standards for "normal" are extremely skewed by his own competence and his line of work, too, which has been a big reason he hasn't been suspicious of Yor for stuff prior to this as well.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Rather tangential, but the 'Berlint in Love' thing could be a nod to a real-life German telenovela that used to be a relatively big thing in Germany 15 years ago. That would be an... unexpected reference, to say the least.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Carpator Diei posted:

Rather tangential, but the 'Berlint in Love' thing could be a nod to a real-life German telenovela that used to be a relatively big thing in Germany 15 years ago. That would be an... unexpected reference, to say the least.

Wikipedia posted:

The original name of the telenovela was Alles nur aus Liebe (Everything just out of love), but the for soap operas typical abbreviation would have been ANAL, so the title was changed.

lmao

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Gotta love how Yor just asserted her dominance as Loid's wife while actively trying to hold herself back.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
T(ennis) posing to assert dominance.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/spy-x-family-chapter-35/chapter/21393?action=read

Wholesome chapter :unsmith:

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Kiss your wife, Lloyd.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Adnor posted:

Kiss your wife, Lloyd.
From a safe distance if you want to do it twice

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Lloyd you were so close

you were so close

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Rody One Half posted:

Lloyd you were so close

you were so close

He was close to death yes. He really has to learn that Alcohol and Yor are not a stable mixture.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Loid doing a flip and landing perfectly on his feet after that kick had me dying.

God drat it Yor. Kiss your husband.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
mangaplus

Good poo poo.
So many low key jokes in there as well. Like Anya feeling secure.

Also Holy crap Loid is lucky to survive

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Loid and Yor are the cutest couple :allears:

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

Loid doing a flip and landing perfectly on his feet after that kick had me dying.

God drat it Yor. Kiss your husband.

Loid trying to keep his composure while blood is coming from his mouth got me

It reminded me of that one Drill tweet

"That's not blood in my mouth, it's victory scotch"

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 19, 2020

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

SgtSteel91 posted:

Liod trying to keep his composure while blood is coming from his mouth got me

It reminded me of that one Drill tweet

"That's not blood in my mouth, it's victory scotch"
https://twitter.com/dril/status/460673146451161088?s=19

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

joke's on you; i actually love being kicked in the mouth by my beautiful wife.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

joke's on you; i actually love being kicked in the mouth by my beautiful wife.

Perfect new thread title.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Adnor posted:

Kiss your wife, Lloyd.

GET ON WITH IT!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

SPY X FAMILY: Kiss your wife, Loid.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Kiss your husband, Yor!

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Spy X Family: Just Kiss Already

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
SPY X FAMILY: Maybe they’re shacking up together

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Don't know if it got mentioned in this thread, but last month a one shot done by Endou Tatsuya got translated. It comes from the 2017 Spring edition of SQ Crown, one of several quarterly magazines. The story is about the daughter of medusa being adopted by a monster slaying soldier whose blood is said to be made of iron. What follows is some pretty adorable stuff

but it's also neat seeing the theme of "family brought together by circumstances" being carried over into his current work. Much like his Spy One-shot and the witch one-shot left artifacts in his current story as well.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That was a cute read but that ending kind of ruined it for me. Sending Misha back with her abusive mother is not exactly a happy ending no matter how much it wants to sell it as such. It's horrifying, especially after she found a family that loved her.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

They may not be blood related, but they are definitely daughter and father.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Blaze Dragon posted:

That was a cute read but that ending kind of ruined it for me. Sending Misha back with her abusive mother is not exactly a happy ending no matter how much it wants to sell it as such. It's horrifying, especially after she found a family that loved her.

What the gently caress that's the ending? Thanks for saving me the effort then.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Artificer posted:

What the gently caress that's the ending? Thanks for saving me the effort then.

I still recommend reading it.
That ending is jarring, but everything else is quite interesting. It's really a SPYXXFAMILY prototype. So I sincerely hope that this ending isn't telling for the ending of Spy X Family.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Lol if Spy X Family ends with Anya being sent back to the orphanage

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Fangz posted:

Lol if Spy X Family ends with Anya being sent back to the orphanage

Well I reckon there's a pretty good chance it ends with future Anya running an orphanage at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Darth TNT posted:

I still recommend reading it.
That ending is jarring, but everything else is quite interesting. It's really a SPYXXFAMILY prototype. So I sincerely hope that this ending isn't telling for the ending of Spy X Family.

I don't think the story did a good job conveying it, because we only get a sense of the mother from second hand sources, but I think it was supposed to be less that she was physically or emotionally abusive and more just that she was desperate because Misha was more powerful than she could contain; powerful enough that being around Misha was endangering her own life. The first sense we get off her through the dairy is off a woman bent on revenge, but eventually out of her depth and who abandons Misha because of it. The final line being "I couldn't even see her sleeping face" suggests it's supposed to be wistful though, not angry or callous. The second time we see her is framed from Misha's point of view, and it's the mother lashing out to push Misha away; which is contrasted with Regina freaking out over the fact she almost died due to her own carelessness. Regina isn't actually angry, but she is scared and ended up looking at Misha because she was so charmed by her cuteness, and forgot herself. It implies that the anger from the mother is probably meant to be Misha's perception of what's happening because all she knows is that she's being pushed away and can't comprehend why or what the mother is actually going through; especially given we don't even see the mom's face, just her warding Misha away while shouting. Her face looks vaguely angry, but it's shaded so you can't really see the expression and you just pick up anger from the pose, broken container (which is presumably antidote like Regina just took to make the connection in Misha's mind) and emphasized i.e. loud words. The wording sound cruel in a vacuum, but it's ambiguous enough it could also be fear.

Maybe that's just an overly generous reading of things, but I don't find it a horrific ending personally. Plus, I don't think Gath could ever have kept Misha and lived a normal life either, because as much as he can minimize the threat Misha poses in various ways, he cannot remove it and if she gets upset or angry she could gently caress up anyone or anything in her vicinity without intention. Gath would have to live a rather hermetic life to continue raising her, and Regina would have to be on constant alert just in case assuming they do become a couple. Misha herself would have to have an iron reign on her emotions once she grows up too, because Gath obviously can't shelter her completely until the day she dies. She'd have to disguise herself to interact with other humans, as well as keep a severe leash on her emotions. Which doesn't sound all that appealing. It's kind of lovely that the end is "she's better off among her own kind", but the setup precludes her living with humans for any extended amount of time and the short format means it's not really possible to resolve that human/monster animosity within the bounds of the story.

tsob fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 23, 2020