Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Unmature posted:

That’s good to know because season 5 of TNG has been kind of a slog and watching all the movies during it has not helped. Though we’re about to get to The Inner Light. Just need to make it through a Wesley and a Lwaxana Troi ep first...

I haven’t seen this opinion much around anywhere, but when I rewatched TNG last year, aside from some super high highs, season 5 is really loving dull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008

HD DAD posted:

I haven’t seen this opinion much around anywhere, but when I rewatched TNG last year, aside from some super high highs, season 5 is really loving dull.

Yeah I feel like it’s been a great episode, 5 or 6 not terrible but boring episodes, the occasional bad one thrown in there, repeat, for most of the season. We don’t want to skip any but the next time I do a watch through a lot of these won’t be making the cut. Watching the DS9 pilot was a mistake because now we just want to jump ship to that but we’ll stick it out.

Been listening to a lot of Greatest Gen and the thing I think I like most about it is their (or at least their editor’s) sense of humor seems to be very informed by YTMND. As an old internet man that warms my heart a little.

Unmature fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 4, 2020

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Exactly which edition of Insurrection has the commentary track? There's quite a few options.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Insane Totoro posted:

Exactly which edition of Insurrection has the commentary track? There's quite a few options.

It's the Blu-ray version.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah it's worst episodes would be average episodes on TNG

"Profit and Lace" would be a bad episode of any series.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I have been reading the SF-LOVERS mailing list from it's beginning in 1979, and finally hit 1987 earlier this month.
Someone leaks the unofficial casting call list for Star Trek: The Next Generation, and you can definitely see where the producers stopped editing out Gene Roddenberry's skeeviness.

<Circa mid April 1987>
To the best of my knowlege (and my knowlege is pretty good) this is
accurate stuff. The current shooting date is the first week of June
(info courtesy Susan Sackett). By the way, almost all of this
information has been confirmed by one of the following three people
within my earshot 1) Gene Roddenberry, 2) David Gerrold, 3) Susan
Sackett. The change from Macha Hernandez to Tanya Yar for the
Security Chief comes from a letter from Gene Roddenberry dated March
13th, and is the only change not in David's latest Starlog piece.
Gene didn't say I couldn't pass it on, so I will.

SEEKING THE FOLLOWING SERIES REGULARS:

CAPT. JULIAN PICARD -- A caucasian man in his 50's who is very
youthful and in prime physical condition. Born in Paris, his
gallic accent appears only when deep emotions are triggered. He
is definitely a 'romantic' and believes strongly in concepts like
honor and duty. Capt. Picard commands the Enterprise. He should
have a mid-Atlantic accent, and a wonderfully rich speaking
voice.

NUMBER ONE (AKA WILLIAM RYKER) -- A 30-35 year old caucasian born in
Alaska. He is a pleasant looking man with sex appeal, of medium
height, very agile and strong, a natural psychologist. Number
one, as he is usually called, is second-in-command of the
Enterprise and has a very strong, solid relationship with the
Captain.

LT. COMMANDER DATA -- He is an android who has the appearance of a
man in his mid 30's. Data should have exotic features and can be
anyone of the following racial groups: Asian, American Indian,
East Indian, South American Indian or similar racial groups. He
is in perfect physical condition and should appear very
intelligent.

LT. TANYA YAR -- 26 year old woman of Ukranian decent who serves
as the starship's security chief. She is described as having a
new quality of conditioned-body-beauty, a fire in her eyes and
muscularly well developed and very female body, but keeping in
mind that much of her strength comes from attitude. Macha has an
almost obsessive devotion to protecting the ship and its crew and
treats Capt. Picard and Number One as if they were saints.

LT. DEANNA TROI -- An alien woman who is tall (5'8" - 6') and
slender, about 30 years old and quite beautiful. She serves as
the starship's Chief Psychologist. Deanna is probably foreign
(anywhere from Italian, Greek, Hungarian, Russian, Icelandic,
etc.) with looks and accent to match. She and Number One are
romantically involved. Her alien "look" is still to be
determined.

WESLEY CRUSHER -- An appealing 15 year old caucasian boy (need small
18 or almost 18 year old to play 15). His remarkable mind and
photographic memory make it seem not unlikely for him to become,
at 15, a Starfleet acting-ensign. Otherwise, he is a normal
teenager.

BEVERLY CRUSHER -- Wesley's 35 year old mother. She serves as the
chief medical officer on the Enterprise. If it were not for her
intelligence, personality, beauty and the fact that she has a
natural walk of a striptease queen, Capt. Picard might not have
agreed to her request that Wesley observe bridge activities;
therefore letting her son's intelligence carry events further.

LT. GEORDI LaFORGE -- a 20-25 year old black man, blind from birth.
With the help of a special prosthetic device he wears, his vision
far surpasses anything the human eyes can see. Although he is
young, he is quite mature and is best friends with Data. Please
do not submit any 'street' types, as Geordi has perfect diction
and might even have a Jamaican accent. Should also be able to do
comedy well.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 4, 2020

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Star Trek: she has a natural walk of a striptease queen

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Interesting how much more diverse they wanted it to be. My fiancée and I were just talking about how we think it’s odd the TOS bridge crew was more diverse than TNG’s.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Drone posted:

"Captain, could my son observe the bridge to get a leg-up on his academy prep?"

"Homina homina... homina..."

"Captain, I beg of you to take me seriously and respect me as a person, a professional, and a fellow member of Starfleet."

"Phwoaaaarrr"

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Drone posted:

this is a terrible way to describe a person but I would be fine if they described the Enterprise this way for some reason

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Tighclops posted:

I would be fine if they described the Enterprise this way for some reason

:gowron:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Tighclops posted:

this is a terrible way to describe a person but I would be fine if they described the Enterprise this way for some reason

she's got nacelles that go all the way back

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Unmature posted:

Interesting how much more diverse they wanted it to be. My fiancée and I were just talking about how we think it’s odd the TOS bridge crew was more diverse than TNG’s.

It's also interesting looking at that with the context of the latest Star Trek: The Pod Directive.

This episode, PFT bows out and Tawney Newsome talks to Michelle Hurd, Angelica Jade Bastién, and Kendra James, having a discussion of race in Star Trek.

One of the things they all agreed on is that casting calls usually only specify race when the race of the person is important to the story and that to usually see "black woman/man" specified for one role, but no race specified for other roles. Essentially, they would rather they do what's done here and specify race for all roles rather than go blank with most except a handful. Doing the later makes people of color feel more like a story element than a character.

There's also a very touching story from Tawney about her casting for The Lower Decks. She said that casting took the opposite but equally good approach of keeping the characters vague. You knew one was an Orion and one was a Cyborg, but otherwise it was only last names.

She didn't know until she went to the first table read that she was the lead character instead of some sort of plucky sidekick and it blew her mind.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
We’re starting to veto bad episodes. I can’t take some of these. Made it 15 minutes into Cost of Living and had to skip ahead.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Unmature posted:

We’re starting to veto bad episodes. I can’t take some of these. Made it 15 minutes into Cost of Living and had to skip ahead.

That really is one of the absolute worst, so no loss there. Most of the bad TNG episodes are simply dull, not painful.

I agree that by and large, TNG can be separated into "the best episodes" and "everything else". There's a very mild overall quality arc, but I wouldn't say there are overall "good seasons" and "bad seasons" as is often suggested.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Skipping "Cost of Living" is without honor and only a veruul would admit to doing such a thing in public.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

CPColin posted:

Skipping "Cost of Living" is without honor and only a veruul would admit to doing such a thing in public.

I watched Insurrection last night and am watching Nemesis tonight. I’ve earned this.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Watch all of TNG you coward

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Unmature posted:

I watched Insurrection last night and am watching Nemesis tonight. I’ve earned this.

HA!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

FlamingLiberal posted:

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Am I the only one that thinks Picard’s season 5 jacket looks stupid

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It definitely looks worse in HD

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I don't understand why he got a weird blue variant of the uniform to wear underneath or why he never zipped the jacket up

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I was starting to think star trek sucks but then i thought maybe i just suck but now i realize we suck, together

it's beautiful in a way, a true symbiosis; few know a life companion as true and steadfast as star trek, my helpmeet in suckage

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Tighclops posted:

I don't understand why he got a weird blue variant of the uniform to wear underneath or why he never zipped the jacket up

That was my assessment. He’s like 60 at this point. Zip up your drat jacket.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Brawnfire posted:

I was starting to think star trek sucks but then i thought maybe i just suck but now i realize we suck, together

it's beautiful in a way, a true symbiosis; few know a life companion as true and steadfast as star trek, my helpmeet in suckage

I fully recognize that I suck, but unlike Star Trek I still believe better things are possible so maybe I don't suck quite as much

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Epicurius posted:

It's the Blu-ray version.

Ah! Thanks it was listed as the Multi Format edition on Amazon for some reason...

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Unmature posted:

That was my assessment. He’s like 60 at this point. Zip up your drat jacket.

I'm not entirely sure the jacket had a zipper.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Timby posted:

I'm not entirely sure the jacket had a zipper.

Humanity has overcome its desire for zippers.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Unmature posted:

skip it if you must, but you'll be back. there's only so much star trek that's out there, and you'll need your fix soon enough.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

piratepilates posted:

skip it if you must, but you'll be back. there's only so much star trek that's out there, and you'll need your fix soon enough.

I’ll probably wring out every second of Lwaxana Troi and Wesley episodes before I get to Discovery or Picard

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Unmature posted:

Am I the only one that thinks Picard’s season 5 jacket looks stupid

It looks like it was designed to be clothes to be worn instead of trying to just be skintight to put colors onto a human form without consideration for actually having to wear it. I think Patrick Stewart looks much better with an unbroken spine and not having to constantly adjust the fabric.

Did they wear dance belts in TNG?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

piratepilates posted:

There are other space opera series out there too.

And, yeah, Cost of Living was one of the really dull ones. I feel like most of the TNG episodes centered around kids didn't land well.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Cost of Living is a bad episode but it's not like unwatchable or anything

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Disagree

Really enjoying The Next Phase right now though

Riker should get a CT scan or something after this episode

Unmature fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 4, 2020

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Finally watched Insurrection with the commentary on last night, and what's amazing is that there's so little going on in this movie that you feel like you don't really need the film's dialogue track to begin with. Also not helping its negative comparisons to TNG two-parters is that it looks like it was filmed for TV, and it has the kiss of death for TNG, Picard love life bullshit. I had also forgotten the infamous joystick scene. Data regresses as a character to the point that he's learning life lessons from children again. It's baffling how they consistently made the worst choices here.

As far as the commentary, it's pretty good and makes the movie more enjoyable, and I would not recommend anyone watch it any other way. It's also fairly clear from the commentary that Frakes doesn't like Piller's script or Rick Berman at all.

So yeah Nemesis is also completely stupid and even offensive at times, somehow wastes Ron Perlman, and nearly drove Tom Hardy to suicide, but they had a story to make a movie out of, and this is just such poo poo.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

FlamingLiberal posted:

Watching all of TNG is worthwhile. There's some bad ones but they're fun bad MST3K type stuff. Watching all of TOS is mandatory. That's legendary television. TAS is great but you will notice they had to uh... re-use a couple sound effects and backgrounds. You can skip most of the first two seasons of DS9 and then it's rock solid. Make sure to watch whatever A Man Called Hawk episodes you can find online first so you can understand what's really going on. Watch Voyager's ten best and ten worst episodes and skip the rest. I've never been able to get into Enterprise. Discovery will probably get good. Haven't watched Lower Decks yet but if Trek goons enjoy it, it has to exceed expectations.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
The biggest crime of Insurrection is wasting the potential of the villain from Amadeus.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Nemesis is the one OG Trek movie not on Amazon Prime. I’m paying to watch this movie.

Me just now: “wait why are they taking a shuttle and not just beaming do-oh wait I remember.” *dune buggy immediately blasts onto screen*

This movie definitely stinks but at least it’s a movie. It’s way more watchable than Insurrection.

Unmature fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Animal-Mother posted:

Watching all of TNG is worthwhile. ... You can skip most of the first two seasons of DS9 ...

This is Super Bullshit 64. If you can put up with the camp of TNG S1-2 or the dull beige of TNG S6-7 then you've got time for DS9's first two seasons, which tell some good loving stories.