Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Spooky Halloween Outfit Ideas
This poll is closed.
The guy from Hades 37 7.76%
The priest from Faith 22 4.61%
A Corpse from Microsoft's Graveyard 27 5.66%
The Ouya 62 13.00%
Google Stadia (scariest option) 73 15.30%
Mr. Mosquito 31 6.50%
Did someone say Bowsette? BECAUSE I AM PRETTY SURE I HEARD SOMEONE SAY BOWSETTE 122 25.58%
Wario (nude) 62 13.00%
Wario (formal) 33 6.92%
Captain N 8 1.68%
Total: 304 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Holy poo poo the cast in C&C3 is loving wild, Grace Park and Tricia Helfer from BSG are both in it along with Billy Dee Williams???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Grapplejack posted:

British people and British colonies should be banned from food talk

I've seen British sandwiches, the whole island is hosed up.

You want a pey wet? https://twitter.com/joe_co_uk/status/1191775828398485505?s=21

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Toast sandwich is a very funny thing

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I tried Genshin Impact and it’s not for me. The biggest problem was how unresponsive things felt, such as standing over an item for a second before the prompt to pick it up appeared. Also: too many items/rewards, too many menus, and just an annoying cast of tropes.

I’m gonna try playing Darkwood as my October spooky game. Any advice?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

alright I have to say it: Hades' fishing minigame is awful

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

LawfulWaffle posted:

I tried Genshin Impact and it’s not for me. The biggest problem was how unresponsive things felt, such as standing over an item for a second before the prompt to pick it up appeared. Also: too many items/rewards, too many menus, and just an annoying cast of tropes.

I’m gonna try playing Darkwood as my October spooky game. Any advice?

play on normal, this is not a game that benefits from having a lives system

there's no penalty for dying at night but substantial rewards for living through it. barricade off a small space and keep all your lamps close

fallen trees indicate nearby lumber, which you will always need

the wolfman's a prick but he'll do right by you if you do right by him. don't feel the need to indulge his every request, but also don't ever make promises that you can't keep, unless you're ready for the consequences

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

My constant sitting is doing a number on my leg circulation, I'm starting to think this may be a problem.

Thinking about switching to a standing desk setup

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

My constant sitting is doing a number on my leg circulation, I'm starting to think this may be a problem.

standing in one place for an extended period of time very quickly has me longing for a seat

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I had a sit/stand desk in the office, and greatly miss it.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I've managed to mess up my shoulder a bit from typing and mousing and tableting. But holding a controller is good and comfortable still.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoBr7U4Iqdg

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

Hwurmp posted:

alright I have to say it: Hades' fishing minigame is awful

A couple of runs ago my first boon was from Poseidon, I had only one choice (not 3), and it was a "Legendary" boon that was +20% chance for a fishing hole to show up in each room. In such a well-designed game that whole stupid situation was mystifying.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Handsome Wife posted:

A couple of runs ago my first boon was from Poseidon, I had only one choice (not 3), and it was a "Legendary" boon that was +20% chance for a fishing hole to show up in each room. In such a well-designed game that whole stupid situation was mystifying.

that's basically just an event. Poseidon does that once and then never again

tbh I find it funny, I'm astonished anybody can get mad at it. It's not like being down one boon is that big a deal, especially when it comes with a ton of bonus rewards from the fishes, win or lose

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Handsome Wife posted:

You need two other Poseidon boons for that one to even show up though. this story is

fishy :coolfish:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Nah Poseidon will totally do that as an event. Can even happen as your very first boon of the run. Only happens once though I think, if you want it again you need to get it the hard way like any other legendary boon

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

Yeah, it was definitely the first boon of the run. I wasn't pissed about it or anything but it did seem dumb.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

It was great.

Also every game should have a fishing minigame, no exceptions

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The only problem with Hades fishing is that fish are too rare, they should be in every room

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

I'm surprised at the number of complaints about fishing in Hades. To me, it didn't seem intrusive at all and was very easy to do. It's a great break between rooms in what is otherwise a breakneck pace action game.

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

It's basically exactly the Animal Crossing fishing minigame.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'm in the mood for a realistic space sim game. Something where I own my own ship and have to do stuff to upgrade it and eventually get a new one. Something where I can put a lot of personalization into it. A story would be great, but I think space sims tend to not have those.

Elite Dangerous seems like a good option, but I'm wary of the potential need to sink endless hours into it just to get the next cool thing

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

blue squares posted:

I'm in the mood for a realistic space sim game. Something where I own my own ship and have to do stuff to upgrade it and eventually get a new one. Something where I can put a lot of personalization into it. A story would be great, but I think space sims tend to not have those.

Elite Dangerous seems like a good option, but I'm wary of the potential need to sink endless hours into it just to get the next cool thing

Rebel Galaxy Outlaw?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

blue squares posted:

Elite Dangerous is not as big of a grind as it might seem, unless you want to get one of the carriers. I would go with that game.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

blue squares posted:

Void Destroyer 2 if you want to eventually graduate from one ship to a fleet, and then multiple fleets and stations that you manage RTS-style

Ostranauts looks like it might be a neat single-ship game in a few years but I wouldn't buy it yet

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

blue squares posted:

this is extremely no man's sky

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

The only problem with Hades fishing is that fish are too rare, they should be in every room

Yeah, which is why getting that legendary boon event is awesome. You can re-assess your run right from the start and have a more relaxed run where you take whatever gets you cooler stuff and clears room safest and not worry as much about trying to make an OP Hades-killer build. I definitely sought it out the hard way after getting it the first time to catch a bunch of fish in rooms I didn't even know fish could spawn.

Fishing minigames always suck, but I love fishing in videogames. I like Hades' more than like Stardew or Animal Crossing because I don't have to do anything besides tap a button once on a really quick, consistent and clear cue. Not a lot of fakeout nibbling or tiresome reel simulation.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
No Man's Sky is not a "realistic" space sim, but it does have a whole lot of stuff to do, and a whole lot of stuff to customize and personalize, and a story.

Elite Dangerous is not so grindy in the early hours, it only gets super grindy once you want top-end gear and you should know if you want to stick with it long before that happens.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

homeless snail posted:

this is extremely no man's sky

I tried no man's sky (recently) and hated the on-the-ground portion. Running around scanning stupid rocks to fix my busted ship. I wanted to be flying, not trying to avoid dying from heat exposure

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I started Nier Automata yesterday and like Death Stranding it comes with some bonus Steam Valve items. You can screw a valve in the back of your head, or one or two into your eyes. I'm assuming this is replacing whatever Sony pre-order or bonus items came with the Play Station version of the game?

What other games get Steam or PC releases with themed bonus items according to the store/platform like that? I don't even remember any Valve games having head-valves outside the splash screen logo.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

you could pre-purchase Fall Guys to be a gordan freemon with a headcrab on your head

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

if you buy star wars squadrons on epic you get a tie fighter glider in fortnite, steam used to give a lot of weird tf2 poo poo for preorders but no one cares about tf2 anymore

blue squares posted:

I tried no man's sky (recently) and hated the on-the-ground portion. Running around scanning stupid rocks to fix my busted ship. I wanted to be flying, not trying to avoid dying from heat exposure
yeah theres a lot of that unfortunately, too bad because the endgame of NMS is flying around with your customized freighter hauling a showroom of all the weird spaceships you've accumulated which is ultimately what i always want out of games like elite or X3 or whatever

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

blue squares posted:

I wonder if a Teeny-verse could work better as both a realistic or just-fun space sim type game. Even some of the biggest hand-crafted maps in videogames are still smaller than texas and it's usually pretty hard to keep even that limited amount of stuff engaging or compelling to dig through. Procedural makes it even harder to guarantee any bit of anywhere will be anything worthwhile without letting the player just do with it what they will and terraform or change it. Bigger isn't necessarily better, close to Earth scale and it's going to take forever to get anywhere and most places are going to be filled with a whole lotta boring.

If you had galaxies on the scale of Outer Wilds, there's a lot less actual terrestrial room for boring generic terrain and travel between space would involve a lot less boring staring into a void to cross unfathomable distances or just warp-load to it. It's fun to fly close to the surface of a teeny-planet and play with that kind of gravity. Makes everything more like Mario Galaxy exploration rather than glued-to-plane fps/rpg style. I bet even Star Citizen could be fun or released if they went teenyverse.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

homeless snail posted:

if you buy star wars squadrons on epic you get a tie fighter glider in fortnite, steam used to give a lot of weird tf2 poo poo for preorders but no one cares about tf2 anymore

...I still care about TF2. :(

I didn't notice how TF2 crossover stopped years ago. I miss that, I really liked all the weird hats that came about from it.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Rebel galaxy outlaw seems less a space sim (considering the handful of ships available) and more a game that takes place in space ships. But maybe that’s what I’ll find more fun, and isn’t that the point?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

homeless snail posted:

93,635 people are playing it right now.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Valve make TF3.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

How the heck is Walking Dead still a thing, and it keeps on making new things?

What is this Walking Dead Beyond Light or whatever

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

You have to walk dead before you can run dead

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

How the heck is Walking Dead still a thing, and it keeps on making new things?

What is this Walking Dead Beyond Light or whatever

YA Walking Dead

I was actually vaguely interested when they announced it would be about people who grew up after the zombie apocalypse. But then the first trailer dropped and it turns out it was about teens who grew up after the zombie apocalypse, in a safe town where they never even saw zombies.
So what's the loving point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

haveblue posted:

No Man's Sky is not a "realistic" space sim
Neither is Elite, really. A realistic space sim would be Kerbal, despite the little green idiots flailing around.