Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I'm guessing "everyone" is meant to be "everyone who is super serious about sims and vr has chosen this particular headset".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

Mailer posted:

I'm guessing "everyone" is meant to be "everyone who is super serious about sims and vr has chosen this particular headset".

yes

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Yeah if all you want VR for is sims, then WMR is fine. If you like doing other stuff in VR too they are far from the best choice.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
TIL I'm not super serious about flight sims and VR.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Hrmph, opening the VFR map with "V" crashes my game. Reinstalling doesn't help.

From the patch notes:

quote:

KNOWN ISSUES
Game may crash if the VFR Map is not opened right after starting the flight

lmao

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
:siren: Don't let Sagebrush read this post. :siren:

I came up with this flight that is very illegal, but flies past a couple of cool things I saw on a trip to the Grand Canyon a few years ago. And I like flying through canyons. The images are from google maps and two of them are photos I took.

Are you ready to commit some sky crimes? There is a passenger that needs a ride to a nondescript airstrip, and can't risk being seen driving through Page, AZ. He paid a lot of money for this trip, so it should be worth the risk. Technically we will be doing a sightseeing flight around the Glen Canyon National Recreation Area and the Paria Canyon Vermilion Cliffs Wilderness Area. You will be departing from 22UT, Larkspur, in a Cessna 152. This is a private airstrip that is also technically a road.

Before taking off set NAV1 to 112.8 and NAV2 to 117.6. Set CDI1 to 310 degrees and CDI2 to 295 degrees. Depending on which way you take off, head straight towards US89 or turn around and head towards US89. Follow the highway southeast (to the right). Along the way, keep an eye on CDI2. It will be lined up, drift away, and then line back up. When it lines back up, you will see that the highway veers off to the left. Turn your transponder off, turn to a heading of 150 and start getting low. Straight ahead you will see two entrances to Glen Canyon, take the one that's on the right. When you get into the canyon, take a right when you see the Colorado river. Keep following the river and you will quickly go through Horseshoe Bend, wave to the tourists on your left.

As you continue on, the river will eventually veer to the west, and the canyon will open up and you are now in Marble Canyon. Follow the river but stay low to avoid radar contacts. As the Colorado River heads back to the southwest, you will fly past Lee's Ferry, will be in the Grand Canyon Special Flight Rules Area (GCN SFRA). It's restricted from the surface to 7999' MSL, so you don't want to be seen.

You will eventually come across Navajo Bridge which is where US89A crosses Marble Canyon. You have to fly over this bridge. You can't fly under it or you will slam into the ground and crash. While flying over the bridge, you can look to your right and see the visitors center for the Navajo Bridge. Once past the bridge, dive back into the canyon and continue on.

After about 7 miles, you will come across a fork. The river goes off to the left, you are going off to the right, along South Fork Creek. Don't be confused by Badger canyon, which is at about the halfway point. That's more of a four way intersection, you are looking for a Y. Follow this branch to another fork and take the right fork again and start climbing. When this branch ends, turn left to a heading of 215. You should see a dirt strip straight ahead. This is our destination, AZ03 CLiff Dwellers.

Drop off the passenger and then get ready to head home. CDI1 should already be set to 310, so you just need to set CDI2 to 275. Once that is done, you're set. Take off again and head back to that fork you just came out of and head back into the canyon. Just follow the canyon all the way back up, making sure to fly over Navajo Bridge, and continue until you get back to Lees Ferry. When you get near Lees Ferry, CDI1 should be lining up. When it lines up, turn left to heading 310 towards Lonely Dell Ranch and keep flying that heading. As soon as you turn, start climbing. You need to get to 6500' and it will likely take the entirety of this leg to get there. You are now clear of the GCN SFRA and are now in Paria Canyon Vermillion Cliffs Wilderness Area. You can fly here, you just can't land anywhere, drop anything, or jump out of your plane. You can turn your transponder back on now. You'll be dealing with a lot of gusts here, so you will really have to fly the plane to stay lined up on CDI1. While you're doing that, keep an eye on CDI2, which should already be set to 275. Once CDI2 lines up, turn to heading 045 and you should see Larkspur once again. Start your descent and head in for a landing.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The latest update to Flight Sim somehow managed to break Honeycomb Yoke support???

[edit]
Got it work, Steams forced controller support is super terrible.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 4, 2020

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
It might be worth adding VKB to the hardware section of the OP. I got a left-hand Gladiator NXT a few weeks ago and it's fantastic (though admittedly I'm coming from using a ps3 controller). I'm definitely looking at picking up their throttle quadrant when it comes out, especially since it's supposedly going to be $60. It's a nice middle ground between something like a TM 16000 and the crazy enthusiast flight sticks.

What a difference having so many buttons (and wheels!) on a stick makes. Being able to handle things like flaps, landing gear, trim, and a real throttle all on the stick makes landing so much easier and really helped me get more enjoyment out of MSFS. No more trying to line up my approach while also using my mouse to try and manually bring throttle back to idle and lower flaps or tap buttons for trim only to find out that one tap is a lot of movement on that wheel.

I ended up also getting Ace Combat 7 just because I was looking for more reasons to use it and I loved 4 and 5 (lol, joke's on me, AC7 only supports controllers so you have to map the stick to controller inputs in Steam and there's no rudder axis, only buttons. Still a great Ace Combat game though). Can't wait to start using it for SW: Squadrons and I'm eying DCS and IL-2 but I'm not sure I want to risk falling down that rabbit hole.

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 5, 2020

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
VKB is dope.

IL-2 is a good option, being more sim-lite than DCS (realistic physics, simplified cockpit functions). War Thunder (F2P) has Simulator Battles, which is designed for joystick players.

Star Wars Squadrons is dope. I haven't made that much noise playing a game in years. My wife thinks I'm a crazy person.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Scruff McGruff posted:

It might be worth adding VKB to the hardware section of the OP. I got a left-hand Gladiator NXT a few weeks ago and it's fantastic (though admittedly I'm coming from using a ps3 controller). I'm definitely looking at picking up their throttle quadrant when it comes out, especially since it's supposedly going to be $60. It's a nice middle ground between something like a TM 16000 and the crazy enthusiast flight sticks.

What a difference having so many buttons (and wheels!) on a stick makes. Being able to handle things like flaps, landing gear, trim, and a real throttle all on the stick makes landing so much easier and really helped me get more enjoyment out of MSFS. No more trying to line up my approach while also using my mouse to try and manually bring throttle back to idle and lower flaps or tap buttons for trim only to find out that one tap is a lot of movement on that wheel.

I ended up also getting Ace Combat 7 just because I was looking for more reasons to use it and I loved 4 and 5 (lol, joke's on me, AC7 only supports controllers so you have to map the stick to controller inputs in Steam and there's no rudder axis, only buttons. Still a great Ace Combat game though). Can't wait to start using it for SW: Squadrons and I'm eying DCS and IL-2 but I'm not sure I want to risk falling down that rabbit hole.

What was your experience like purchasing the NXT from the VKB store? The main thing that has stopped me from pulling the trigger on that is that I've heard stories of exorbitant surprise customs charges with the final charges being up to $100 over the listed price.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I wonder if they'll put an AN-2 up in the store for Flight Simulator any time soon. That seems to be my brand of goofy plane.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I wonder if they'll put an AN-2 up in the store for Flight Simulator any time soon. That seems to be my brand of goofy plane.

Only as long as the cockpit looks as awful as the one on the wikipedia page. Any better and I won't accept it.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Got Microsoft Flight Sim and been having fun checking out places I know, might even try to visit some completely new places in the future. General trip report:

PS4 controller seems to work but I am not entirely sure if the slow roll to the side is due to the wonky stick (having some deadzone issues, which is why I mostly use a third party switch controller which the game sadly does not recognise) or because of plane stuff. Might have to look into setting like trim and rudder and stuffs

Seeing another plane in the air on my flightpath, taking a small detour to say hi. Rapidly realising that it was probably one of those livetracked flights happening irl and also that I somehow cannot crash into a plane going straight. Gotta practice my skills for when I actually see another player.

Decided to try a "fly from europe to america!" flight, realised I had to take a quick detour to... greenland? for refueling. Got bored halfway through, tried to crash into the ocean and on my descend realised like a billion blinking red lights. Turns out I descended right above a giant collection of off-shore wind turbines and in the darkness it looked freaky as hell for a moment, seeing nothing but red lights for miles.

Wanted to fly to austria because I like mountains. Chose a time where apparently it was foggy and cloudy as heck, to the point where I had to use instrumentation as cloud cover was at the same height as the mountains when flying towards Innsbruck. Was pretty scary because I could not see anything for a while, while my screen in the cockpit showed me there are mountains underneath me. At least once I reached the valley the city was in, I was able to get below the clouds to see where I was flying and had to land. And I am sure the citizens enjoyed a plane repeatedly circling above them as it tried to figure out a decent landing angle. Oh yeah, also learned when descending a bit fast from high to low altitude through clouds, that your windows will get frozen and the anti-freeze buttons help against it, that was pretty cool.

Overall, this has been hitting a weird part of my brain that enjoys acting like I am totally real plane pilot. Though I assume not all pilots spend half the flight watching a vtuber stream on the side and repeatedly readjusting their flight path because they forgot to fight against the roll for a bit. Also, messing with the cockpit stuff is fun and I got a 50% success rate on turning on the autopilot on planes by now! Only thing I need to figure out is how to end a flight, so far it has felt kinda random when it would count me as having finished when I turn the engine and electrics off versus the game keeping going. Maybe I have to actually find the proper spot to park on airports, so far I have just been driving to where other planes sit and sorta try to fit in with them.

Also, halfway tempted to try to play this game in a way where I only allow myself to start from airports I have been to, both to have some sort of personal progression and also to give an excuse to go on a world tour.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Roll could be either from a bad joystick config, the plane itself doing plane things or both.

There's no plane to plane collision. They thankfully realized that assholes were too abundant (and that the ATC can't really manage traffic).

If you tell us what plane you're flying, we can tell you how to work the AP in it.

Flights will only end and return you to the menu if you're parked where the game wants you to park (easiest is to ask for taxi to parking/gate), you turn off the engine and the electrics. You can randomly bump into a game-approved parking spot (the taxi assistance trails will show it as a green box once you're already on top of it), but even perfectly valid IRL parking spots might not trigger the end menu if that's not where the game wants you to park right now. Don't feel bad, quitting back to the menu and getting sent there from parking function the same. The game logs your landing, but nothing about parking so it's identical stat-wise.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

If Microsoft doesn't a 3rd party likely will at some point. I'm disappointed actually at the lack of 3rd party planes up for sale, I was expecting the market to be flooded with FSX planes.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012

Bedurndurn posted:

Roll could be either from a bad joystick config, the plane itself doing plane things or both.

There's no plane to plane collision. They thankfully realized that assholes were too abundant (and that the ATC can't really manage traffic).

If you tell us what plane you're flying, we can tell you how to work the AP in it.

Flights will only end and return you to the menu if you're parked where the game wants you to park (easiest is to ask for taxi to parking/gate), you turn off the engine and the electrics. You can randomly bump into a game-approved parking spot (the taxi assistance trails will show it as a green box once you're already on top of it), but even perfectly valid IRL parking spots might not trigger the end menu if that's not where the game wants you to park right now. Don't feel bad, quitting back to the menu and getting sent there from parking function the same. The game logs your landing, but nothing about parking so it's identical stat-wise.

Right, I haven't seen the taxi assistance stuff at all yet. Is it part of one of the screens you can activate on the more modern planes or something that should be visible in general? And yeah, I had a couple moments where I "landed" very rapidly in the middle of nowhere after turning some of the damage stuff to easy mode, and turning everything off mostly as a joke after landing upside down in someone's backyard counted as a valid parking spot :v:

As for no collision, that is probably for the best since otherwise it would be easy to grief. Could still be fun to spook someone by diving from above right in front of them or something. And for the plane, gonna have to see since I have been trying them all out a bit. So far I have been enjoying the turboprops, mostly since they actually get somewhere decently fast and can still be a bit agile/allow me to do some real dumb manouvering.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
It’s an assistance option.

I tried following ATC direction but without a map I get lost, even if I understand how to follow them sort of

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

skooma512 posted:

It’s an assistance option.

I tried following ATC direction but without a map I get lost, even if I understand how to follow them sort of

https://www.faa.gov/airports/runway_safety/publications/media/QuickReferenceGuideProof8.pdf

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Just turn on the taxi tape. I started out listening to ATC and writing down what they told me and then looking it up on a map. What the game told me has been wrong most of the time or makes no sense.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Anyone else having to download a 90gb patch every time they load the game? My friend I've been flying with had this happen to him yesterday and another guy I know is having the same problem.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Just turn on the taxi tape. I started out listening to ATC and writing down what they told me and then looking it up on a map. What the game told me has been wrong most of the time or makes no sense.

Yeah the issue is that the taxiways are procedurally named and marked so even with charts they can be hard to understand.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

The latest update is really not impressing me. I finally had enough time blocked out to do the tour of Japan in one go (since you can't save) and after a few quick CTDs in the first 10 minutes of the flight, I made it about 90 minutes in before it crashed again and I gave up. Also, there are two massive glitched spikes in the terrain almost directly under the flight path within the first few minutes of the flight. Come on.

Will definitely try both of these routes. Would love to see more stuff like this posted, it's fun to have some direction/challenge in this game. The mission in the last thread where you fly to Big Bear was killer.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

What was your experience like purchasing the NXT from the VKB store? The main thing that has stopped me from pulling the trigger on that is that I've heard stories of exorbitant surprise customs charges with the final charges being up to $100 over the listed price.

I mean, shipping was a little pricey ($30) but other than that no issues at all. Shipped via DHL direct from wherever in China they make the sticks, took about two weeks for it to ship after placing the order (they're backed up with demand like everyone else) and took less than a week to arrive once it had shipped. The only thing I'd be skeptical on is customer support, since VKB-NA is just a middleman for the actual VKB in Russia I've seen some stories of people calling customer support with issues and basically just getting "eh, I dunno, ask the forums or return it within the two week return period *click*".

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

JerikTelorian posted:

Yeah the issue is that the taxiways are procedurally named and marked so even with charts they can be hard to understand.

For the most part when I look at the Navigraph taxi maps they line up mostly correct with what the default procedural airports show in game. There are some errors I've noticed and sometimes the ATC has some weird routing errors with taxi routes but I have had good luck going off the external airport maps.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

FSeconomy's forums allows registrations again.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

I'm looking forward to future patches just to see what sort of extra insanity gets introduced.

1.8.4.0:
- Gravity is reversed for C4J. Fly inverted or you'll "fall" into orbit.
- ATC can be sassy and will sometimes tell "yo momma" jokes to pilots.

- Gravity restored to normal for C4J.
- Cessna 172 now has mass equivalent to Jupiter and will pull all other air traffic towards it.
- ATC will turn off runway lights at night if pilots don't respond to it.
- Tugs stay attached to A320, 747, and 787 jets after push back and through flight. It's kinda funny so we might leave it in.

- Cessna 172 should be fixed.

- Cessna 172 wasn't fixed and had actually increased in mass to be similar to the Cygnus X1 black hole. Removed Cessna 172 from game until further notice.

- Air space around New Zealand no longer has air. Avoid flights originating from or going to there until next patch.
- Mt. Everest is now Lard Room. We're not sure what that means but just avoid that air space to avoid existential consequences.
- ATC will now sometimes fire air to surface missiles at planes.

- Fixed bug for A320 that caused the movie Mannequin 2 to play on all cockpit displays while landing gear was retracted.

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 6, 2020

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

All these airports are yours except for FAE. Attempts no landings there
New redacted implemented. Avoidredacted per request of redacted

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

We have mostly fixed the Cessna 172. It now has been more or less restored to the state it was in at the launch of the game, except now its GPS doesn't show you where you are, it shows you where you could be.

We may have fixed the Cessna 172's GPS.* See notes.

Notes: The Cessna knows where it is at all times. It knows this because it knows where it isn't. By subtracting where it is from where it isn't, or where it isn't from where it is (whichever is greater), it obtains a difference, or deviation. The guidance subsystem uses deviations to generate corrective commands to drive the Cessna from a position where it is to a position where it isn't, and arriving at a position where it wasn't, it now is. Consequently, the position where it is, is now the position that it wasn't, and it follows that the position that it was, is now the position that it isn't.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 5, 2020

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Fabulousity posted:

I'm looking forward to future patches just to see what sort of extra insanity gets introduced.

1.8.4.0:
- Gravity is reversed for C4J. Fly inverted or you'll "fall" into orbit.
- ATC can be sassy and will sometimes tell "yo momma" jokes to pilots.

Kennedy Steve DLC when

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
If you want an instrument navigation workout try hand-flying from EGNT Newcastle direct to the nearby TLA VOR, then do the ILS rwy 24 approach into EGPH Edinburgh. VOR Radial into DME arc to intercept ILS approach all while monitoring your bearing to an NDB to determine your descent steps. It's quite fun and not as overwhelming as it sounds at first glance.

Charts here: https://www.vatsim.uk/airports/EGPH

Don't communicate with the in-game ATC since it's worthless and will probably send you to Glasgow at FL280 or something equally stupid.

I could write up a howto for this approach on a Gx000 aircraft as well although I'm not a pilot, instrument-rated or otherwise.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is this vatsim site what all the cool kids use in Europe for figuring out routes? I want to do some putt putting over Germany and skyvector isn't showing much.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Dunno about routes but they seem to have most/all of the approach plates. Skyvector's World Lo and World Hi IFT charts seem to show all the airways and navaids.

https://www.eurocontrol.int/publication/eurocontrol-regional-upper-airspace-charts-erc-september-2020

Looks like European airspace is 100% GPS navigation.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Sapozhnik posted:

Dunno about routes but they seem to have most/all of the approach plates. Skyvector's World Lo and World Hi IFT charts seem to show all the airways and navaids.

https://www.eurocontrol.int/publication/eurocontrol-regional-upper-airspace-charts-erc-september-2020

Looks like European airspace is 100% GPS navigation.

Oh poo poo, that would explain why I wasn't finding VOR stations. I wanted to fly over a specific position and figured I could triangulate between two stations. I guess I have to set a custom waypoint in the world map and paste in the coordinates.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Oh poo poo, that would explain why I wasn't finding VOR stations. I wanted to fly over a specific position and figured I could triangulate between two stations. I guess I have to set a custom waypoint in the world map and paste in the coordinates.

Are you having trouble finding VOR stations over Europe? There should be sufficient coverage, at least where people live. Nothing showing up on Skyvector? Try out the Garmin G1000 nearest VOR menu?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Lord Stimperor posted:

Are you having trouble finding VOR stations over Europe? There should be sufficient coverage, at least where people live. Nothing showing up on Skyvector? Try out the Garmin G1000 nearest VOR menu?

If I am using the in-game Garmin then I am using its basic map and I would struggle to find the area I am trying to triangulate.

We can make this less hypothetical. What is there for navaids near Paderborn? It turned out that free airport in the store is right nearby my wife's ancestral area so I wanted to mess around there. I don't actually know the area so I was trying to establish some coordinates for a flight plan.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

If I am using the in-game Garmin then I am using its basic map and I would struggle to find the area I am trying to triangulate.

We can make this less hypothetical. What is there for navaids near Paderborn? It turned out that free airport in the store is right nearby my wife's ancestral area so I wanted to mess around there. I don't actually know the area so I was trying to establish some coordinates for a flight plan.

Just take a look on Skyvector in the area you'll be flying in. The VORs look like this:

There appear to be plenty in the area to help you triangulate coordinates.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Mainland Europe seems to have eliminated the use of VORs and NDBs entirely. The stations still exist and transmit but only as an emergency fallback.

At least that's my understanding. So your flight plan will just be a list of named GPS fixes connected by approved airway routes.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
They still had them in Germany as of late last year (see video below), although wind turbines create interference. Remember that since 2 patches ago the world map does not remember to leave Navaids or other map settings turned on. Push the Filters key (F) and be sure to turn it on, then you can see them from the world map.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuLTppemEgA

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Do we know if there is a patch coming this week? I have basically quit playing this for now due to all the poo poo the latest patch broke, which makes me sad because I like flight simming and Star Wars Squadrons is a pale substitute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
My windows 10 install got corrupted somehow so I need to do a fresh install. Can't wait to reinstall this drat game!