Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

infernal machines posted:

it's not bad, it's just not very good either. the writing is flat and there aren't that many laugh out loud jokes

it's also incredibly cheaply animated. it looks cheap.

Season 1 was quite promising and enjoyable, i can't say i noticed the animation looking particularly bad in that, but season 2 was a noticeablely big decline in both animation and writing/etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah season 2 animation was like worker and parasite tier animation

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it's not bad, it's just not very good either. the writing is flat and there aren't that many laugh out loud jokes

it's also incredibly cheaply animated. it looks cheap.

i really like it, but i want to toss another complaint on the pile: the incidental music is full of weird choices. like setting action sequences to kind of meandering medieval percussion-less strings.

still, looking forward to more episodes.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Uptime Sinclair posted:

finished last ep of raised by wolves s1 last night and welp lol

my wife got very angry

it was terrible lol

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

fart simpson posted:

it was terrible lol
it really dials up the prometheus lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Uptime Sinclair posted:

it really dials up the prometheus lol

that’s what i was thinking too

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
oh wow I didn't know there was a 20th century boys live action movie. I loved the manga

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwAIzPweL5o

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1312445108793475072

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRCSIMtSJXY

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lol

AFRO - I SEAL THEE!

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/__providence___/status/1312760713639845888

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lomarf

https://twitter.com/neetcentral/status/1312901427363278848?s=21

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

lol is that TI

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/nicsperling/status/1313193164136562689

:negative:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

what the gently caress

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.
i too was expecting the notoriously risk-averse film industry to forgo box office receipts and release films costing hundreds of millions of dollars direct to netflix

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

oh get hosed

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

i too was expecting the notoriously risk-averse film industry to forgo box office receipts and release films costing hundreds of millions of dollars direct to netflix
hell, same

not surprised but lol at there even being theaters to show it to in 2021

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.
i'm not suggesting they have a lot of foresight, just that they absolutely won't change their primary distribution model unless they have no other choice

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
there will probably be theaters in most countries outside the US at that point tbh

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

idk, Tenet got released and just about broke even if you include marketing, it wouldn't be surprising if they tried to force a few more through just through sheer stubbornness

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

i remember seeing this movie and wondering what the gently caress jack nicholson was thinking but it turns out he got an absolute barrelful of money and made that sequel to Chinatown with it so idk its sorta a wash

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

rotor posted:

i remember seeing this movie and wondering what the gently caress jack nicholson was thinking but it turns out he got an absolute barrelful of money and made that sequel to Chinatown with it so idk its sorta a wash
the two jakes was actually a pretty ok movie

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

indigi posted:

idk, Tenet got released and just about broke even if you include marketing, it wouldn't be surprising if they tried to force a few more through just through sheer stubbornness

its nolan's worst box office result since momento, I guess it did well overseas because rotten tomatoes says $36 mil

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I can never see NMN's gifs at work cause they block tumblr :(

qirex posted:

its nolan's worst box office result since momento, I guess it did well overseas because rotten tomatoes says $36 mil

yeah it topped 300 worldwide

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

You don't want to break even with a movie like Tenet, you want to make all of the money

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

FMguru posted:

the two jakes was actually a pretty ok movie

i havent seen it since it was in theaters but i dont remember being mad about it so it couldn't have been awful

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

rotor posted:

i havent seen it since it was in theaters but i dont remember being mad about it so it couldn't have been awful
it was better than its reputation, which suffered from the crime of Not Being Chinatown (which, duh). its a perfectly ok noir otherwise (not great, but perfectly ok)

reminds me of 2010, a perfectly fine 1980s sf movie that got dumpstered for Not Being 2001

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

You don't want to break even with a movie like Tenet, you want to make all of the money

yeah, this is why they're not going to release dunc in theatres as long as the plague is happening, and also not anywhere else.

there is like no chance at all that movie would make its budget back even if there weren't a worldwide pandemic, but they sure as hell aren't going to hang it out there for a shot at $20mil domestic either

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

FMguru posted:

reminds me of 2010, a perfectly fine 1980s sf movie that got dumpstered for Not Being 2001

it really wasn't 2001. big shoes to fill

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

lots of movies aren't 2001

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

2061 would make a good movie

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

3001 however would make a terrible movie

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

rotor posted:

lots of movies aren't 2001
i would go so far as to say most movies arent 2001

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

FMguru posted:

i would go so far as to say most movies arent 2001

its weird to think about but it's kinda true

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

huh. that never occurred to me.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rotor posted:

i fully support "serious" actors doing dumb poo poo cartoon movies where they get to ham it up

when the latest star trek came out a bunch of people i knew were like "ohhhhh what a WASTE of idris elba, putting him in dumb monster make up to play a star trek villain"

and i was like man. idris elba plays the painfully cool handsome classy guy in every other thing ever. let him dress up in a rubber suit and stomp around growling that he's gonna DESTROY CAP-TAIN KIRK for a while. i bet it's fun

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

I think there's a difference between Jack Nicholson wearing a purple suit asking "Where does he get these wonderful toys?!?" and Omar Sharif in a trenchcoat saying "Wait, you dropped your phony dog doo"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
one of my favorite sf movie traditions is hiring a serious british actor (alec guinness, judi dench, sian phillips, etc) to appear in your space wizard film to try and give it a touch of gravitas