Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

A poisoned turkey that dies from the poison can still be cooked and eaten for a health point. That's good eatin!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

StarkRavingMad posted:

The Great Humphead in 4-2 has a hired hand inside him. You have to be careful how you kill him though, if you're just blasting away indiscriminately with a shotgun you're pretty likely to kill the hand as well.
coincidentally the humphead is a great clone gun target, because it contains not only hired helps but also items.
that's what I normally do and then I end up going into the next level like this

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Big Scary Owl posted:

How the hell do you guys deal with the lava after activating the drill? it feels like sometimes there's not a way to go down without being hit by random lava

It’s a shitshow at least half the time with the lava pools and it dripping down.

Also had a brutal spawn where the drill was completely walled off and surrounded by lava. Pretty lame that it wasn’t even possible to do on that run, far as I could tell.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I had the good luck this time to not get hosed by the lava. By the way are there any special effects Vlad's cape has other than double jump and floating if you keep pressing? I had a hoverpack before but now I'm not sure which one I prefer

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Big Scary Owl posted:

I had the good luck this time to not get hosed by the lava. By the way are there any special effects Vlad's cape has other than double jump and floating if you keep pressing? I had a hoverpack before but now I'm not sure which one I prefer

Bonus blood from enemies. Very good if you have the kapala.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Can we PLEASE not have enemies at cave door exits? On 1-4 there was a horned lizard right by the door and before I could even react I was dead.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Diephoon posted:

Bonus blood from enemies. Very good if you have the kapala.

Ah nice, this is very useful to know.

FrickenMoron posted:

Can we PLEASE not have enemies at cave door exits? On 1-4 there was a horned lizard right by the door and before I could even react I was dead.

This poo poo is hosed up. I never died for it but I've taken damage for that many times

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i think there might be a second of invuln or untargetability as long as you dont move, because ive definitely popped out and not had stuff aggro me when it should've

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
You're literally invincible when you enter/leave a sub level. If you see an enemy on the other side you can just enter the door again.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Diephoon posted:

You're literally invincible when you enter/leave a sub level. If you see an enemy on the other side you can just enter the door again.

Ive had this happen with a bat where I was invincible for half a second but this motherfucker just rolled me instantly and I took damage/died. There was zero time to react.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
You definitely have time to re-enter the door or move, I've had the queen bee directly on top of me entering the hive and was able to leave without taking damage.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
On 1-4 specifically, which is where that happens most often, you can also look down from where you fight sonic the cavehog to see if there are any enemies around the door on the other end.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Secret area spoilers!

I wanted to make sure I grabbed the tablet from the boss in Duat since it fell in the lava the last time I was here

https://i.imgur.com/dQ1MlWV.mp4

at least I got the journal entry

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I’m pretty disappointed that there’s not special text for that death.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

so you wanna press down+door/buy button to drop the powerpack first.

YOU CAN DO WHAT?!

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Peewi posted:

YOU CAN DO WHAT?!

Right? You can do this with all the packs and capes. It's handy if you're trying to shotgun jump up somewhere but have the power pack on. In a pinch you could also use the pack as a bomb if you had a way to detonate it.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
I played for 6 hours yesterday with the singular goal of getting to the Black Market. Did not succeed. Went to bed, made it on the first attempt today and then promptly died on a spike trap on 2-4...

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
the last 3 times I have gotten to level 6 I have instantly died from my jetpack being ignited by the burning carcass of something falling on me from the weird civil war that always seems to be going on in that level :negative:

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Peewi posted:

YOU CAN DO WHAT?!

I never knew this either :psyduck:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Jolo posted:

Right? You can do this with all the packs and capes. It's handy if you're trying to shotgun jump up somewhere but have the power pack on. In a pinch you could also use the pack as a bomb if you had a way to detonate it.

Pretty sure you can still shottyjump even with the power pack

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Power pack reduces recoil in addition to reload time.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I made it to Olmec with a jetpack, a dozen sticky bombs, and 29 health and ate poo poo off a lucky bomb toss. I even survived my jetpack's explosion lol, it does like 20 damage. Are Kali altars more likely to spawn after you have a lot of favor with her? I got really lucky on 1-2 and got a Kapala and a royal jelly, and then the altar spawned again 3 more times between there and Olmec.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I'm mad, I had a good run going and a ghost pot got broken 10 seconds into the level without having even left the entrance tile while in world 6. Why can the ghost pot spawn in places where that can happen?????? It was on 6-2 with the destiny tablet too.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Einwand posted:

I'm mad, I had a good run going and a ghost pot got broken 10 seconds into the level without having even left the entrance tile while in world 6. Why can the ghost pot spawn in places where that can happen?????? It was on 6-2 with the destiny tablet too.

I saw a streamer enter a level over lava on a small platform, with a shop keeper a few tiles away from the lava, even with the door, who shoots immediately. So there was no where to jump to or time to react, just dead. It was the most bullshit thing I've seen in this game.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I killed Osiris, but then I did a tiny little hop on the top row of duat while I was trying to get over to the tablet and the portal sucked me in.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

resistentialism posted:

I killed Osiris, but then I did a tiny little hop on the top row of duat while I was trying to get over to the tablet and the portal sucked me in.

thats almost exactly what happened to me lol

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
OH god I reached 6-1 (Neo Babylon) for the first time what the hell is that place :psyduck:

I was scared shitless all the time too cause the shopkeepers were after me all the time

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I gotta say, the elevators that can crush you if you are SLIGHTLY off an edge really steam my beans.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

I can't stop murdering shopkeepers and I think it's holding back my progress.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Unless there's a shield in stock with which to squish them, how do you even murder shopkeepers? Any engagement with them is disaster, much like my every other interaction in the game

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

-Move the bombs and *packs to where he usually sits
-pick up something else and lure him closer to the entrance, so the bombs are behind you
-stand on top of him and use a rope to knock him towards the door
-pick up his gun and shoot him.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

Unless there's a shield in stock with which to squish them, how do you even murder shopkeepers? Any engagement with them is disaster, much like my every other interaction in the game

If you move one of their items he will come out of his little coward hidey hole. Then you stand next to him and use a rope. It stuns him and you can quickly grab his shotgun and kill him. It's way too easy to do. You just have to be careful about exploding bomb bags or boxes, and have to quickly throw his key out of the way if he drops one so you can pick up his shotgun.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

With proper positioning you can jump, throw an item out of the shop to aggro the shopkeeper and land on the shopkeeper. You then have about a second before the shopkeeper wakes up, where you can throw him around and take his shotgun.

Obviously it's a bit risky.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Rope strat is way safer, and usually you have plenty of ropes. If it's a key shopkeeper I do rope strat and then jump on them after they pick the shotgun back up instead of repositioning the key.

Killing shopkeepers past that point is just something you get used to. One small trick that is useful sometimes is, if shopkeepers are within their firing distance(like 5-6 blocks) and on the same height as you, they will never jump(until you do, making their height different from yours). Also, shopkeepers cannot turn around in midair unless they hit a wall.
So if you've got one or two blocks in between you and a shopkeeper, you can chill there and control when the shopkeeper goes over the blocks by jumping, then shotgun/whatever him as he lands on your side.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

I've never been crazy on turning the exit on every floor into a potential harrowing death match, but I do love a little spice, so the shopkeeper forgiveness mechanic has been right up my alley.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

The Silver Snail posted:

so the shopkeeper forgiveness mechanic has been right up my alley.

I've gotten this on one of my runs but I never understood what happened, what is the trigger for that?

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Big Scary Owl posted:

I've gotten this on one of my runs but I never understood what happened, what is the trigger for that?

If no shopkeepers have died you get forgiven in a level or two.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I just threw an arrow through an enemy in a vase and it coated it with poison. What enemy would that even be? I thought the scorpion had 3 HP.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

1.) Notice they have a machete in stock.
2.) Apply machete to shopkeeper's cranium.
3.) Repeat application to unconscious shopkeeper until they make a noise and money falls out.
4.) Take shotgun and proceed onwards to adventure for another level and a half before you die humiliatingly for unrelated reasons.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

DalaranJ posted:

I just threw an arrow through an enemy in a vase and it coated it with poison. What enemy would that even be? I thought the scorpion had 3 HP.

spitting cobra maybe?