Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This came up in the Xbox thread and its a pretty interesting look at how Back Compatibility is looking on the two consoles.

https://www.console.playblackdesert...untrytype

quote:

Xbox Series X/S
We are happy to announce that as backwards compatibility is a core feature of both Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S, you will be able to enjoy Black Desert on the next generation of consoles from day 1. There will be no need to purchase any additional bundles as all current owners of Black Desert will be able to continue their adventures on these devices. The only caveat is that your current Xbox Live Account must be the one used, and if it is, you will be able to continue where you left off!

PlayStation 5
Our partners at Sony are also working hard to make sure that PlayStation users will also be able to enjoy Black Desert on PlayStation 5 on the day that the console makes its way to your home. We will keep you updated if there are any updates in the near future!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Necrothatcher posted:

If you've got a PS5 preorder, can write okay and have a decent body of work online it's pretty easy to secure review copies of PS5 games. A lot of game journos won't have PS5s at launch and sites want coverage over the first few days - a great combo for getting free games. I think I've got Demon's Souls and Miles Morales sorted from an editor.

Do excellent posts count as a body of work online

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Do excellent posts count as a body of work online

honestly kinda, if you've done a popular LP or whatever you might be in with a shot.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

This came up in the Xbox thread and its a pretty interesting look at how Back Compatibility is looking on the two consoles.

https://www.console.playblackdesert...untrytype

I am guessing the PS5 is more of a change to the PS4 than the xbox lot.
Unless, did PS3 saves work on the PS4 between the crossbuy titles?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Necrothatcher posted:

If you've got a PS5 preorder, can write okay and have a decent body of work online it's pretty easy to secure review copies of PS5 games. A lot of game journos won't have PS5s at launch and sites want coverage over the first few days - a great combo for getting free games. I think I've got Demon's Souls and Miles Morales sorted from an editor.

drat I definitely have the first two. I have some reviews on Nintendojo from 2003 is that good enough for the free games?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

John Wick of Dogs posted:

drat I definitely have the first two. I have some reviews on Nintendojo from 2003 is that good enough for the free games?

My tip is to send some emails to editors of sites that are not specifically gaming focused but have gaming sections. Most of them will say no but you never know and it doesn't hurt to ask.

e: oh yeah another tip don't offer to do the work for just the review code, make sure you get paid too even if it's at a v low-rate like $20 for the review.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Oct 5, 2020

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

VideoGames posted:

I am guessing the PS5 is more of a change to the PS4 than the xbox lot.
Unless, did PS3 saves work on the PS4 between the crossbuy titles?

Cross buy and cross save were two independent features. Some games did support both.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Policenaut posted:

Officially Sony demands you call it Cross.

I live in Poland so I see plenty of crosses every day in places you wouldn’t even imagine having crosses, and let me tell you: they are not X shaped

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Zerot posted:

Cross buy and cross save were two independent features. Some games did support both.

It must be like the change to the PS3>PS4 and there must be more going on within the games coding then if some saves are incompatible.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

VideoGames posted:

It must be like the change to the PS3>PS4 and there must be more going on within the games coding then if some saves are incompatible.

The quote from the Black Desert developer is more that they don't know if the game will work at all on PlayStation 5. Nothing specifically about PS4 saves there.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
It's probably less of a technical hurdle and more that they don't want to require or guarantee that the developers will give enough of a poo poo to add a chunk of code to import their save data. There shouldn't really be anything blocking it beyond either crypto signing a special file in the ps5 game with the private key used to publish the ps4 version, or if Sony is dumb and lazy, a whitelist put out by Sony of which ps5 games are allowed to access which ps4 save data

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

VideoGames posted:

It must be like the change to the PS3>PS4

I mean, this is pretty much impossible with what we know of the PS5's hardware.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Necrothatcher posted:

My tip is to send some emails to editors of sites that are not specifically gaming focused but have gaming sections. Most of them will say no but you never know and it doesn't hurt to ask.

e: oh yeah another tip don't offer to do the work for just the review code, make sure you get paid too even if it's at a v low-rate like $20 for the review.

Eh I probably wouldn't have time, I work 8-5 and commute 2.5 hours a day.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

VideoGames posted:

It’s probably because of the way Sony divides save games up by SKU even for different versions of the same title.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

goblin week posted:

I live in Poland so I see plenty of crosses every day in places you wouldn’t even imagine having crosses, and let me tell you: they are not X shaped

They do mean the same though, right? In a highly Christian country do all the buttons have different names? Christ, Halo, Eye of Providence, and... Eucharist Wafer.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Shirkelton posted:

I mean, this is pretty much impossible with what we know of the PS5's hardware.

It was "impossible" for going from PS3 to PS4 as well, but games could still implement systems to handle it. Hell, a few games even let you go to/from Xbox (e.g. Diablo 3). And we specifically know Spider-Man: Miles Morales will support save transfers so it's definitely feasible.

I feel it has more to do with how much of a priority the game dev made it and how they're interpreting both versions, as some studios are definitely sticking to "current gen and next gen are separate entities" even on Xbox (e.g. FIFA and Madden allow a limited one-way transfer of stuff). I think this is at least partially what SEGA is doing with Yakuza 7, since it gives them a chance to market it in a way not unlike how PS4 "Remastered" games originally on PS3 were handled, with a new "PS5" disc version, especially in Asia where the PS4 version's been out since January of this year.

Giving credit where it's due, Xbox One is much more user-friendly if you are regularly playing on different consoles. Games are auto-uploaded to the cloud (and you don't need a paid sub for this, and it's unlimited storage) and when you boot up a game it automatically cross-references what's stored locally with what's in the cloud. On PS4 on top of needing PS+ and the bizarre limitations in online save storage like a 1000-file hard cap, you have to manually manage this on any secondary console, including PS Now cloud gaming, and you would have to manually copy them back to your primary when you wanted to pick that version up. The one advantage with this is that it tends to make it more likely that you can recover if you wind up with a corrupted save file or similar issue.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Once again the true genius is me, the man who pre-ordered this and has never had a playstation. I am unaffected by every downside

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Once again the true genius is me, the man who pre-ordered this and has never had a playstation. I am unaffected by every downside

Migrating from Nintendo, it might be hard to adjust to games that are actually difficult or challenging

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Bust Rodd posted:

Migrating from Nintendo, it might be hard to adjust to games that are actually difficult or challenging

when was the last time you got 1st place in tetris 99. the switches bloodborne.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Bust Rodd posted:

Wrong, Sony is well known now for their extensive accessibility and options in games.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Wrong, Sony is well known now for their extensive accessibility and options in games.

It cannot be stressed how good the accessibility options in The Last of Us Part 2 are.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Indeed. Sony made Central Yharnam accesible... getting out of there alive is a different matter :getin:

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

VideoGames posted:

*Changing the thread title to see that one poster who votes every games thread a 1 regardless of what it is has done it again*

But why?

When I worked in a grocery store produce department as a teenager, we would spend time slicing canteloupe and honeydew into halves, and then nicely cling-wrap them and place them on the shelves for customers who didn't want to commit to purchasing a full melon, or take chances on what might be inside an unknown fruit. An old strange woman would sometimes come in to the store and, one-by-one, take her index finger and poke a hole in the wrap. I'm beginning to suspect she has an account on these forums.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

let's see you get all the Shine Sprites in Sunshine without a guide. or full completion of DKC: Tropical Freeze

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Miles Morales is coming out on the 12th in the U.K. now too

Just give us the consoles at the same time as everyone else Sony this is silly

Edit: all the PS5 games are releasing on the 12th, why

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 5, 2020

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

videogames are the only thing that don't suck during covid. even dune got delayed

:negative:

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

History Comes Inside! posted:

Miles Morales is coming out on the 12th in the U.K. now too

Just give us the consoles at the same time as everyone else Sony this is silly

Edit: all the PS5 games are releasing on the 12th, why

I'm pleased about this because I got an email saying my order of Spiderman wasn't going to arrive until the following Monday, meaning I'd have a PS5 and only PS4 games to play on it.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

videogames are the only thing that don't suck during covid. even dune got delayed

:negative:

It's not like I was going to a theatre in December anyway. Probably for the best.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Rad Valtar posted:

It's not like I was going to a theatre in December anyway. Probably for the best.

A part of me was still holding out hope, especially since this means the theater I work at will probably never reopen.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I bought a PS4 controller because my godlike PC gamer hands need to get used to a controller, and I gotta say I really like the feel. Its definitely a lot easier to play Spelunky 2 on as opposed to M + KB. Same with Dark Souls 3.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

eonwe posted:

I bought a PS4 controller because my godlike PC gamer hands need to get used to a controller, and I gotta say I really like the feel. Its definitely a lot easier to play Spelunky 2 on as opposed to M + KB. Same with Dark Souls 3.

DS4 is a real good controller. I've always liked Sony's tbh. only issue with the DS3 was the triggers, well, triggering whenever you set the controller down

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
I preordered Demon's Souls on the PSN website and it told me the pre-load would be available on the 5th. LIES!

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

morallyobjected posted:

DS4 is a real good controller. I've always liked Sony's tbh. only issue with the DS3 was the triggers, well, triggering whenever you set the controller down

The sticks were also bad. Convex, no rim, and super loose so your thumbs would keep slipping off them.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Baggot posted:

The sticks were also bad. Convex, no rim, and super loose so your thumbs would keep slipping off them.

I never had that problem. the DS4 is obviously an improvement and I'm glad they updated the sticks, though

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

morallyobjected posted:

I find the DS4 triggers... trigger... when set down on certain types of (softer) furniture. On my old leather couches it would always interfere with movie watching and I had to deliberately remember to set it on the coffee table.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
The PS3 controller feels very tiny compared to the DS4, but I didn’t have a problem with it prior to the PS4 coming out. The DS4 is a lot better and probably my favorite controller, but yeah it is lovely that putting it on a table while playing Dark Souls or Bloodborne could make you heavy attack an NPC with a great sword.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Imhotep posted:

The PS3 controller feels very tiny compared to the DS4
The stupid 6-axis felt like a child's knockoff toy. The rumble motors really added some needed heft.

Wonder what the feel of the PS5's co trolleys will be. Don't think I've heard anyone talk about em.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Baggot posted:

It's like they were designed to make my thumbs slip off them :mad:

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

Zerot posted:

If they have an aux port you can plug them into the controller. Otherwise, no.

This is so short sighted and stupid. Japan does things weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m waffling back and forth on what I should secure next. I have a console and a headset, but I haven’t pre-ordered my games yet because I wasn’t sure if it’s the only way to get that cool scythe for Demon’s Souls or the extra suits for Miles.

The $60 camera seems expensive for something I might not ever use, and I can get a second DualSense and a charging cradle for $100. What accessories are you all grabbing? Is the Media Remote worth grabbing if it comes back in stock?