Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It depends. I have a glossy 1200p panel on my XPS 13 2:1 and dell employed wizards in when they made the anti-reflective coating. It's an order of magnitude less reflective than any other glossy screen I've seen and it really helps enhance colors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I recently bought a Lenovo Legion laptop and I swear in one of those Lenovo programs I saw a tab with "included with this system: free month of Microsoft Game Pass".
I can't remember where I saw this and I want to claim it. Anybody have any idea what I'm talking about and how I can claim it?

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

shut up blegum posted:

I recently bought a Lenovo Legion laptop and I swear in one of those Lenovo programs I saw a tab with "included with this system: free month of Microsoft Game Pass".
I can't remember where I saw this and I want to claim it. Anybody have any idea what I'm talking about and how I can claim it?
Microsoft Store - My Library - Included With Device

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I’m in the market for a new laptop a couple years earlier than expected after my thinkpad died.

What should I be looking for if I want:

15 inches
Reliability
Casual gaming
Not excessively flashy- it might be used for some work and study and it’s hard to get taken seriously if it’s covered with leds and stripes or whatever

Budget is $1000 (actually 1500 but electronics in my country get a huge tax mark-up).

The gpu guide in the OP is awesome, but a hell of a lot has happened with cpus in the past couple years so I’m a little lost there.

Edit: how is the Lenovo Legion series in terms of heat and reliability?

Found one for $1200 with a 2060 and Ryzen 5 4600H which is is almost half the price of other laptops with the same specs.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 5, 2020

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I'm looking to sell a 2017 15 inch MacBook pro. I'm seeing a ton of variation in price on ebay and CL even on machines with the same spec. Does anyone know where I could look to find a decent price to try and sell it for? Or know about how much it should go for?

2017 MacBook pro 15 inch
Quad core 2.8 GH Intel i7
16 gh ram
256 gb hard drive
Touch bar retina display

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Well looks like my asus g14 got the dreaded no lights and no powering on defect after 4 months.

Had to RMA it on Sunday via Best Buy since it does look like asus is doing direct rmas

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
I actually picked up the Lenovo legion 5 AMD ryzen 4800H, 1660ti 16 GB RAM for $1350 CAD about $999 USD.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B08BB9RWXD/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The storage is middling but you can install a M2 nvme or a SSD 2.5" to upgrade it.

Seems like a good laptop for the price.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
I can't stand laptops that offset the trackpad from center. Ugh.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Fruits of the sea posted:

Edit: how is the Lenovo Legion series in terms of heat and reliability?

Found one for $1200 with a 2060 and Ryzen 5 4600H which is is almost half the price of other laptops with the same specs.

I bought the 17" Lenovo Legion with 2060 RTX about a year ago for $1200 from Microcenter. Out of the box it was stupidly hot and and throttling CPU numbers, googled a bit since I hadn't had any sort of gaming PC in awhile and downloaded Throttlestop and researched best settings, & HWiNFO to constantly monitor numbers. I have had zero issues since, runs quiet unless I'm playing something on max settings and doesn't get overly hot at all.

We had similar laptop requirements, I definitely am satisfied based on how cheap it was compared to other laptops with similar specs, plus a 17" monitor with 144hz I don't think you can beat that price anywhere.

knox fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Oct 6, 2020

Beef Eater
Aug 27, 2020
I've got a Lenovo L530 and the touchpad buttons became unstable around the time I upgraded to Windows 10 a few weeks ago. I also put in a RAM module right around the same time so I'm not sure which thing could have caused it. At first it would act like the buttons were clicking when they weren't, then it seems to have stopped recognizing them completely. The keyboard and the rest of the touchpad seem to work just fine. Anyone know what could cause this?

Beef Eater fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 6, 2020

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Check and see if your can install/enable the "microsoft precision touchpad" drivers for your laptop

You're probably using the synaptic POS vendor drivers, microsoft published their own touchpad driver spec that's way better about 5 years ago and that's probably what your laptop shipped with out of the box, at least that's my guess. Switching over to the "good" drivers ought to resolve the problem is my guess

Beef Eater
Aug 27, 2020

Hadlock posted:

Check and see if your can install/enable the "microsoft precision touchpad" drivers for your laptop

You're probably using the synaptic POS vendor drivers, microsoft published their own touchpad driver spec that's way better about 5 years ago and that's probably what your laptop shipped with out of the box, at least that's my guess. Switching over to the "good" drivers ought to resolve the problem is my guess

I just tried that and all it did was make it so I got phantom right clicks every few seconds (the actual buttons still did nothing) and had to roll back to the old driver. So it seems like it might be a hardware problem, but the only related thing I can find is fultzjap's post here https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T-series-Laptops/TouchPad-Buttons-not-working-anymore/m-p/219642?page=1#233461

And my problem is the same as his, where the touchpad and trackpoint buttons work but the touchpad buttons at the bottom don't. But I don't understand how to do the thing he's talking about

Beef Eater
Aug 27, 2020
I think I might have found what he was talking about, because there was a ZIF right by the touchpad with some translucent cellophane, and I made sure it was securely connected, but it didn't fix the problem

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Thanks for the replies! Final question- There’s an almost identical Legion 5 on sale for $80 more. The difference is the screen is 300 nits instead of 250. Will the brightness make a noticeable difference? (Also has a higher refresh rate, but I don’t care so much about that)

Chillyrabbit posted:

The storage is middling but you can install a M2 nvme or a SSD 2.5" to upgrade it.

I have some extra M2’s so the extra slot is nice.

knox posted:

I bought the 17" Lenovo Legion with 2060 RTX about a year ago for $1200 from Microcenter. Out of the box it was stupidly hot and and throttling CPU numbers, googled a bit since I hadn't had any sort of gaming PC in awhile and downloaded Throttlestop and researched best settings, & HWiNFO to constantly monitor numbers. I have had zero issues since, runs quiet unless I'm playing something on max settings and doesn't get overly hot at all.

Thanks, good to know. IIRC it uses Nvidia Optimus which has had some teething problems. Hopefully it’s sorted now, but if not it’s good to know where to start troubleshooting.

xgalaxy posted:

I can't stand laptops that offset the trackpad from center. Ugh.

I’m guessing it’s a consequence of including a numpad. I’m on the fence about this because I play enough rogue likes and hotkey heavy games that having a numpad is really nice.

Placeholder
Sep 24, 2008

Thanks for the replies! Final question- There’s an almost identical Legion 5 on sale for $80 more. The difference is the screen is 300 nits instead of 250. Will the brightness make a noticeable difference? (Also has a higher refresh rate, but I don’t care so much about that)

Is the colour space coverage of the upgrade better than on the cheaper one? I like having nice and accurate colours so I would go for it if that's the case. Eighty bucks over the life-time of the machine would be worth it, but that's just my preference.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Placeholder posted:

Is the colour space coverage of the upgrade better than on the cheaper one? I like having nice and accurate colours so I would go for it if that's the case. Eighty bucks over the life-time of the machine would be worth it, but that's just my preference.

...maybe? Numbers are bigger but I don’t know much about monitor specs and I could care less if it doesn’t provide a notably better experience for everyday use. Hence why a brighter screen would be nice for use when the sun is shining. Here’s what Lenovo’s product specs says:

$1200:
Display IPS 250nits, 120hz, 45% NTSC
Processor Ryzen 5 4600H

$1280:
Display IPS 300nits, 144hz, 100% sRGB, Dolby Vision
Processor i5-10300H

The 2 versions are identical apart from the screen and cpus (which are close to equal from what I can tell).

As an aside, today I learned that manufacturers will have dozens of almost identical laptop models and not to trust reviewers because they inevitably get sent the model with the highest quality screen which is rarely actually available for purchase.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 7, 2020

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

250 nits :(

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

:vince:

what-year-is-it.gif

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

As an aside, today I learned that manufacturers will have dozens of almost identical laptop models and not to trust reviewers because they inevitably get sent the model with the highest quality screen which is rarely actually available for purchase.

Yeah best buy gets their own models with cheaper components a) to meet higher profit margins required by traditional brick and mortar retailers b) gives a unique sku so that you can't price match them

I dunno if there are any other large b&m retailers left that do this, but best buy def. does this still with Dell & Lenovo

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Walmart does too, afaik.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Hadlock posted:

Yeah best buy gets their own models with cheaper components a) to meet higher profit margins required by traditional brick and mortar retailers b) gives a unique sku so that you can't price match them

I dunno if there are any other large b&m retailers left that do this, but best buy def. does this still with Dell & Lenovo

Weirdly in this case the sku with the better screen is from the local big box store.

Having experienced lice once, even 1 nit is too many :v:

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
I somehow ended up with $1500 in rewards points at Dell... which is confusing and I think a mistake. Because I've only ever bought 3 things from that site in the last 5 years.
Looking at the transaction history is a confusing mess. Some "API" thing has been depositing and removing rewards points for the last three months multiple times a month.

I guess I'll hold on to it until I see a sale.. possibly Black Friday. Hopefully the points don't disappear by then.

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 7, 2020

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

xgalaxy posted:

I somehow ended up with $1500 in rewards points at Dell... which is confusing and I think a mistake. Because I've only ever bought 3 things from that site in the last 5 years.
Looking at the transaction history is a confusing mess. Some "API" thing has been depositing and removing rewards points for the last three months multiple times a month.

I guess I'll hold on to it until I see a sale.. possibly Black Friday. Hopefully the points don't disappear by then.

Someone got your account username/password and is trying to launder through your account.

Change all your passwords.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Lockback posted:

Someone got your account username/password and is trying to launder through your account.

Change all your passwords.

dont help them. we dont even know if they're the real xgalaxy.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Best Buy has the 14" Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 Laptop on sale for $800. 60hz panel and only 8gb soldered ram but it has one open slot for expansion. Open-box - Excellent for only $680 as well.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...p?skuId=6403425

AMD Ryzen 7 4800HS Octa-Core (16 Thread) Processor
14" 1920x1080 display (non-touchscreen)
8GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM
512GB PCIe M.2 Solid State Drive
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 4GB Graphics Card
Backlit Keyboard
Windows 10 Home
Weight: 3.64 lbs
Ports:
2x USB 3.0 Type A
1x USB Type C (Charging)
1x HDMI
1x DisplayPort 1.4
2x USB 3.2 Type C

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

FCKGW posted:

Best Buy has the 14" Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 Laptop on sale for $800. 60hz panel and only 8gb soldered ram but it has one open slot for expansion. Open-box - Excellent for only $680 as well.

8GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM
Backlit Keyboard
Windows 10 Home
Ports:
2x USB 3.0 Type A
1x USB Type C (Charging)
1x HDMI
1x DisplayPort 1.4
2x USB 3.2 Type C

This is a great deal. I'm hoping the 2060 version has a similar $300 price cut soon.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

FCKGW posted:

8GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM
Backlit Keyboard
Windows 10 Home
Ports:
2x USB 3.0 Type A
1x USB Type C (Charging)
1x HDMI
1x DisplayPort 1.4
2x USB 3.2 Type C

I see it for $1,100?

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
The Asus seems great but not having a webcam just seems crazy especially in this day and age.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

hooah posted:

I see it for $1,100?

Looks like it was a Deal of the Day and that day is over now.

Adun posted:

The Asus seems great but not having a webcam just seems crazy especially in this day and age.

Every laptop webcam is garbage and the extra $50 for a USB quality one would be money well spent.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

hooah posted:

I see it for $1,100?

Yeah, looks like it'd dead.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

FCKGW posted:

Looks like it was a Deal of the Day and that day is over now.

Every laptop webcam is garbage and the extra $50 for a USB quality one would be money well spent.

Yeah that’s true, I rarely used my webcam for the last 3 laptops I owned.

Even less since smart phones have improved video call quality over the last few years

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Before I got the G14, I had one of those XPSs where the the camera is aimed straight up your nose, so having to get an external camera that I can freely position didn't seem so bad.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
The Acer Nitro 5 I bought for ~$750 back in January 2018 needs what the repair shop is quoting as $500 in repairs (I don't think i'm getting stiffed - it's separate repairs on the laptop hinge and display, the battery, and new thermal paste that I procrastinated dealing with individually). So with Black Friday coming up, I'm just going to replace it.

That said, this leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth - the previous gaming laptop I owned (a Lenovo) lasted me five years without repairs until the hard drive finally bit the dust. I never had hinge issues with that, or with the laptop I owned prior to that. Did I just have bad luck with Acer, or is my inclination to go with Lenovo or another brand prudent?

I'm looking to spend ~$900-$1000 circa Black Friday (edit: or Amazon Prime Day, maybe), and know I'd want a 1660Ti GPU at minimum. If I can afford it, is an RTX 2060 worth the extra? The difference between that and the 1660ti seems pretty marginal in most benchmarks I can find. The lack of raytracing support on the 1660 doesn't really matter to me.

FoneBone fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 11, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

FoneBone posted:

Did I just have bad luck with Acer, or is my inclination to go with Lenovo or another brand prudent?

I'm looking to spend ~$900-$1000 circa Black Friday, and know I'd want a 1660Ti GPU at minimum. If I can afford it, is an RTX 2060 worth the extra? The difference between that and the 1660ti seems pretty marginal in most benchmarks I can find. The lack of raytracing support on the 1660 doesn't really matter to me.

Acer QC sucks terribly, and get the 2060- not for the ray tracing but for the DLSS, which can make be up to 50 percent free performance in games that support it. That poo poo is magical.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

FoneBone posted:

The Acer Nitro 5 I bought for ~$750 back in January 2018 needs what the repair shop is quoting as $500 in repairs (I don't think i'm getting stiffed - it's separate repairs on the laptop hinge and display, the battery, and new thermal paste that I procrastinated dealing with individually). So with Black Friday coming up, I'm just going to replace it.

That said, this leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth - the previous gaming laptop I owned (a Lenovo) lasted me five years without repairs until the hard drive finally bit the dust. I never had hinge issues with that, or with the laptop I owned prior to that. Did I just have bad luck with Acer, or is my inclination to go with Lenovo or another brand prudent?

I'm looking to spend ~$900-$1000 circa Black Friday (edit: or Amazon Prime Day, maybe), and know I'd want a 1660Ti GPU at minimum. If I can afford it, is an RTX 2060 worth the extra? The difference between that and the 1660ti seems pretty marginal in most benchmarks I can find. The lack of raytracing support on the 1660 doesn't really matter to me.

$1000 might be tough to find a good 2060 for, but it's not far off.

Agreed, Acer QC is real hit or miss. But I am pretty sure the Hinge/Display is probably most of that repair cost and Lenovos suck at that too.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Lockback posted:

$1000 might be tough to find a good 2060 for, but it's not far off.

From searching r/laptopdeals I think the Acer Nitro with a 2060 has already dropped below $1000 at least once, so i don’t think it’s improbable that a better model hits that price point come Black Friday

quote:

Agreed, Acer QC is real hit or miss. But I am pretty sure the Hinge/Display is probably most of that repair cost and Lenovos suck at that too.

Yeah, the hinge damage apparently bad enough that there was no way to fix it without replacing the display altogether. :/

What brands are best for build quality?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
My mom got an Acer a few years ago and it was a nightmare. Absolutely awful QC. She's had a lenovo for a while now with no problems.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

FoneBone posted:

What brands are best for build quality?

Depends on the model a lot too. I'm holding out for a ASUS G14 (Will probably jump on anything below 1200 for a 2060). Other Asus aren't as good though. I am replacing a Prostar (same as MSI & Sager) that I thought was good for the money but it did just die on me after 3 years and change. I dunno, I thought that was a good run.

I've heard good things about the Razer line too, and the HP Omen though the Omen's hinges look like they'd like 20 minutes.

CH Science
Sep 11, 2019

Razer Blade is basically MacBook-like build-quality and a MacBook-like price to go with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

CH Science posted:

Razer Blade is basically MacBook-like build-quality and a MacBook-like price to go with

and Acer-like reliability.