Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

JayKay posted:

We're still active at ARMAGOONS. Our weekly session is on Saturday at 2 PM EST (20:00 CEST). We also do random pick up games through the week and play other stuff together (Division 2, War Thunder, Destiny 2 are current flavors).

The website is slightly broken, but I'll go yell at them about it.

Edit: Come to our Discord

Thanks, I'll join up at try to get with you all this weekend. Again, been about 4 years so apologies in advance as I relearn everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The Armagoons people are cool from the time I played with them and it's good that they're still going. I just cannot get into stuff like ACE because I'm one of those weirdos who's happy with just the base mechanics, which is why I haven't kept up.

My little group is definitely going to try out ACRE sometime soon though, because we're amateur radio nerds and, well, c'mon.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I really like the Enhanced Movement mod for clambering over obstacles or sitting on top of vehicles (not that you can ride around on them like that when they are driving, unfortunately). If I'm waiting for my team to get somewhere in-game I sometimes try to parkour my way onto the roofs of buildings.
Not only that, but it gives me a contextual door opener so I don't have to deal with that scrollwheel menu just to get into a building or vehicle.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Oh, another simple must-have mod, especially if you don't have a super beefy computer, is something that allows you to change draw distance on the fly, especially if you're piloting or sniping. There's some that do it automatically using variables like altitude, but I've been happy with the simple CH View Distance mod. It lets you have three different view distance settings for when you're on foot, in a car or in an aircraft, and there are hotkeys if you need a bit more or less depending on your circumstances. Without it I've found it impossible to do any type of CAS in an aircraft with my default infantry settings.

On foot I use 4000m view distance and 1200m object rendering distance, and in aircraft I think set both to 5000m. Framerate is still rock solid in all situations and I no longer run into any problems with lasing targets for GBUs.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhMfUciqSNk

https://www.bohemia.net/blog/enter-the-arma-3-art-of-war-contest-today

New showcase and a scenario are coming out from this. All proceeds go to the ICRC for the first 10 months, then it's free for everyone. I enjoyed what they did with the Laws of War campaign, so I hope this is something similar, even if it's probably going to be much shorter.

Edit: Wait is that loving Miller in the art gallery in the beginning?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Arma has never been prone to crash on me. I think it crashed 2 or 3 times since I got it in 2015. For the past couple of weeks, it's crashed just about every time I play. Any ideas? My PC is five years old, so I might suspect it's a component, but this is Arma 3.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Any mods? Other than the Old Man save issues it's been pretty solid for me on my 2013 PC, but I don't run anything other than ASR-AI.

Because of my small SSD whenever I'm not actively playing I often uninstall it and reinstall whenever we're in the mood for some Arma-ing. Might help if you haven't tried that already.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I have a few mods but none running. I’ve just been playing KOTH.

Haven’t reinstalled in a while. Guess I’ll try that.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
ArmA is notoriously sensitive. Hardware errors are not handled gracefully at all. They should be using it for parts binning. If you're doing any overclocking you'll want to disable that. Do a memcheck.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Look Sir Droids posted:

I have a few mods but none running. I’ve just been playing KOTH.

Haven’t reinstalled in a while. Guess I’ll try that.

How is KotH these days? What are the popular server runners? After being reset to L1 and $0 I haven't played it much.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Hasselblad posted:

How is KotH these days? What are the popular server runners? After being reset to L1 and $0 I haven't played it much.

Codefourgaming are really the only active servers for vanilla. I think there may be some busy RHS or Iron Front servers. Hostile takeover is gone and there are no 120 player madhouse servers going. CFG maxes out at 100.

I hear you about being reset. I think it’s happened to me twice now. It takes way to long to level up enough to be able to snipe effectively. I was decked out at around lvl 55 for pretty much any setup before the I was wiped the first time.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
A small compilation of clips from our Arma 3 shenanigans over at the ArmaGoons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGFSgBxSErI

Themoor
May 15, 2020
Are there any arma units that do pvp or all vs AI?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Themoor posted:

Are there any arma units that do pvp or all vs AI?

Was not an actual organized group mind you, but a lot of us were active during the days of Overpoch. Building things, breaking things, exploding things. Good times.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Any session can be PvP if you try hard enough

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I'd like one but I haven't found one.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

New update in KOTH today. The spawn vehicle that previously did nothing can now be driven to the AO so people can fast travel to it from the respawn point. Makes pilots kind of obsolete. No more dipshit pilots that want to land in a hot zone. As long as you hide your team's spawn vehicle and it doesn't get blown up, there's no need to do anything else.

It'll be interesting to see how this affects long distance sniping. Definitely more reason to carry a launcher now. I usually run Medic perk, and that is kind of obsolete too. Why wait for a revive if the spawn truck is already in the AO?

My team hid our truck in a giant garage so it couldn't get spotted from the air. We never lost it. I wonder how long it takes to respawn that vehicle now. I was disappointed you can't steal the other teams' spawn vehicle. Because stealing it and driving it 3 km away from the AO would be the correct move.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 26, 2020

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Look Sir Droids posted:

New update in KOTH today. The spawn vehicle that previously did nothing can now be driven to the AO so people can fast travel to it from the respawn point. Makes pilots kind of obsolete. No more dipshit pilots that want to land in a hot zone. As long as you hide your team's spawn vehicle and it doesn't get blown up, there's no need to do anything else.

It'll be interesting to see how this affects long distance sniping. Definitely more reason to carry a launcher now. I usually run Medic perk, and that is kind of obsolete too. Why wait for a revive if the spawn truck is already in the AO?

My team hid our truck in a giant garage so it couldn't get spotted from the air. We never lost it. I wonder how long it takes to respawn that vehicle now. I was disappointed you can't steal the other teams' spawn vehicle. Because stealing it and driving it 3 km away from the AO would be the correct move.

I’m confused. What vehicle previously did nothing? I routinely took the medical truck into AOs, parked at the foot of a held tower, blocking the stairs, and satcheled it. Made for some nice body count.

Are you saying that it now allows folks to teleport to it from their respawn base? What an asinine change.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 27, 2020

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Is this active on any of the popular servers yet? Couldn't find the new version anywhere I played just now.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

It was just on the main Code Four server. It’s v14.

Maybe I just got in on a test drive earlier today?

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 27, 2020

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I just played again and it's still v14. New spawn truck and everything.

Also driving the spawn truck to the AO somehow broke my game. My guy is now permanently aiming up and slowly spinning around when I'm not touching the mouse of kb at all. Permanently locked in. Nothing I can do about it. Reset control to default, didn't help. Restarted the game. Still broke. Cool.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009

Look Sir Droids posted:

I just played again and it's still v14. New spawn truck and everything.

Also driving the spawn truck to the AO somehow broke my game. My guy is now permanently aiming up and slowly spinning around when I'm not touching the mouse of kb at all. Permanently locked in. Nothing I can do about it. Reset control to default, didn't help. Restarted the game. Still broke. Cool.

Had the same thing happen once and discovered my game pad, that I wasn't using, was upside down under my desk.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

I do that a lot. Xbox controller gets something leaning against it and just ruins everything, and it takes me forever to figure it out and unplug it.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Uncle Spriggly posted:

Had the same thing happen once and discovered my game pad, that I wasn't using, was upside down under my desk.

That was it! I’m a dummy.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

So KOTH v14 trip report:

It’s only on two of CFGs servers. Infantry Only USA and a Euro server that includes vehicles.

After being on teams with varying degrees of success, the spawn truck sucks. It just makes it too easy to get the advantage and quickly overwhelm everyone else since usually all three teams aren’t competent. So the bad teams just get clowned on even harder. It also gives a bigger incentive to camp spawn zones, which is cheesedick af.

I’m not sure if it’s me or this version yet, but I perm bought a launcher and now I can’t use it. Even if I pick up a dead guys launcher the option to swap to it doesn’t appear in the scroll menu for me. This particularly sucks bc v14 heavily encourages having a launcher handy.

Verdict: v14 blows.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Look Sir Droids posted:

So KOTH v14 trip report:

It’s only on two of CFGs servers. Infantry Only USA and a Euro server that includes vehicles.

After being on teams with varying degrees of success, the spawn truck sucks. It just makes it too easy to get the advantage and quickly overwhelm everyone else since usually all three teams aren’t competent. So the bad teams just get clowned on even harder. It also gives a bigger incentive to camp spawn zones, which is cheesedick af.

I’m not sure if it’s me or this version yet, but I perm bought a launcher and now I can’t use it. Even if I pick up a dead guys launcher the option to swap to it doesn’t appear in the scroll menu for me. This particularly sucks bc v14 heavily encourages having a launcher handy.

Verdict: v14 blows.

Havent played it yet, but not at all surprised that it sucks. I mean, part of the challenge of koth was getting to and into the ao. Yeah there were some awful pilots and trolls, but drat if there are not some seriously talented individuals flying little birds.

Who thought it was a good idea to have a portable spawn point? That is some garbage tier decision making.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 1, 2020

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Hasselblad posted:

Yeah there were some awful pilots and trolls, but drat if there are not some seriously talented individuals flying little birds.

Right, and if your team can't protect its spawn truck, you're back to having to rely on those pilots. So the one good thing it fixes, bypassing bad pilots, is a moot point.

Orv
May 4, 2011
"Amateur mod devs make stupid design decisions from one version to another that ruin everything" is aggressively early 2000s so it's very fitting for ArmA.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Look Sir Droids posted:

Right, and if your team can't protect its spawn truck, you're back to having to rely on those pilots. So the one good thing it fixes, bypassing bad pilots, is a moot point.

There are ways to get to the ao beyond aircraft. It "fixed" nothing. The very nature of a "spawn truck" is asinine.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Orv posted:

"Amateur mod devs make stupid design decisions from one version to another that ruin everything" is aggressively early 2000s so it's very fitting for ArmA.

The sad thing is that the most fun I have had in multiplayer arma was back in A2 with Overpoch.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Hasselblad posted:

There are ways to get to the ao beyond aircraft.

Aircraft is absolutely the fastest way to get the most passengers there. There's a reason spawn is filled with Hummingbirds. A Strider/Ifrit holds four people and is less than half as fast as a Hummingbird that can hold twice as many dudes. Some of the cheaper ground vehicles may hold more than 4 but they handle like poo poo, are still slow, and get shredded by any weapon in the game.

Pretty much every reasonably competitive match I've been in was won because the team had good pilots and used them more than ground vehicles. I don't play on vehicles servers.

Edit: are there any good Exile servers left?

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 1, 2020

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Look Sir Droids posted:

Aircraft is absolutely the fastest way to get the most passengers there. There's a reason spawn is filled with Hummingbirds. A Strider/Ifrit holds four people and is less than half as fast as a Hummingbird that can hold twice as many dudes. Some of the cheaper ground vehicles may hold more than 4 but they handle like poo poo, are still slow, and get shredded by any weapon in the game.

Pretty much every reasonably competitive match I've been in was won because the team had good pilots and used them more than ground vehicles. I don't play on vehicles servers.

Edit: are there any good Exile servers left?

Personally I prefer to grab a strider, even if it is for myself. ESPECIALLY when sniping, rather than depending on having a good pilot on my team. My point is still that the magic spawn truck is an asinine addition to koth.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

No one is arguing with you that the spawn truck is dumb. No need to say it a fourth time.

Of course you don't use a heli if you're sniping. If you're sniping you're not even entering the AO. I use a Strider for that too, or any time the pilots are bad or if I have some dumb thing I want to try to do myself.

Most of the time, I just play KOTH to chill out, get in the AO, earn that sweet XP and dollars. So the heli rides and reliable AO insertions without driving myself there matter. Hard to be chill on a dogshit team that can't get you to the AO.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
https://www.pcgamer.com/tencent-has-purchased-a-majority-stake-in-bohemia-interactive-report-claims/

If China is in Arma 4, it probably won't be as OPFOR.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Ah good, another round of gamer red scare.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Look Sir Droids posted:

Of course you don't use a heli if you're sniping. If you're sniping you're not even entering the AO.

Nope, I often snipe from just within the AO border.

Look Sir Droids posted:

Hard to be chill on a dogshit team that can't get you to the AO.

I can dig it.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Dwarden has denied this on a Bohemia Interactive-in-general Discord (separate from the Arma 3 Discord):

Dwarden posted:

"Bohemia Interactive is not for sale. The Czech game studio rejected the information that it was controlled by the Chinese Tencent" : https://byznys.ihned.cz/c1-66772390...-cinsky-tencent
And Ivan Buchta on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/IvanBuchta/status/1268097930197635073

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I didn't want the Contact DLC.

But then I realized I could make the aliens race in the go karts and that would be the best thing ever.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 8, 2020

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Does anyone know if the Dynamic Recon Ops missions work on a dedicated server? I tossed an SSD into my NAS to offload hosting duties from my PC onto a VM and my framerate has dramatically improved. However, whenever I start a DRO mission it just spawns me onto a barren map. I have a feeling that DRO is waiting for the "host" to set the mission parameters before generating a mission and is getting stuck, and I'm hoping there's a workaround for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gabrielite
Apr 24, 2008
It does not far as I know and I swear it used to say so on the page but I can't find any reference to it.

Yeah it's one of the things I wish he'd do if it's even possible. He doesn't seem to communicate much in the steam discussions.

Seems it changed at some point possibly even back in 2017. News to me.

Maybe for your situation then, when you start the mission on your server, are you logging in as an admin?

Gabrielite fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Oct 5, 2020