Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I've been personally playing recycled pro v1s - the ones you can buy for 30 dollars per 36. If you're looking to get decent balls for cheap you could do far worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Kirios posted:

I've been personally playing recycled pro v1s - the ones you can buy for 30 dollars per 36. If you're looking to get decent balls for cheap you could do far worse.

Be careful with those “recycled” balls. Generally they are beat up balls that they repaint and re logo so they look new. Especially if you’re buying those packs at like Walmart or something.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Yeah, used is good, recycled is dicey.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

TIL replaceable spike golf shoes exist and now I feel like a giant idiot buying four different pair of cheap Nike shoes because the spikes kept wearing out over the last two years.

Why didn't you guys tell me!

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Kirios posted:

TIL replaceable spike golf shoes exist and now I feel like a giant idiot buying four different pair of cheap Nike shoes because the spikes kept wearing out over the last two years.

Why didn't you guys tell me!

I guess none of us ever thought that people didn't know that? Really, it did not occur to me that someone could not know that. Are spikeless shoes even near 50% of the market?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Why would anyone even buy golf shoes that you can't replace the spikes with? Knowing what I know now (in hindsight I don't know how I didn't assume this already) I'm not sure why the other shoes even exist. Are people just too lazy to replace them twice a year?

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

torgeaux posted:

I guess none of us ever thought that people didn't know that? Really, it did not occur to me that someone could not know that. Are spikeless shoes even near 50% of the market?

I personally have footjoy tour whatever (spikes) and bought some nike AirMax golf shoes (spikeless) this year. While I definitely feel more planted in the footjoys I still wore the air max’s a decent amount this year. It’s not like I’m falling over on the tee box in spikeless.

Are a lot of people anti-spikeless?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Now I've learned that spiked sandals exist for golf. I'm a man that wears flip flops ever chance I get outside...how bad of an idea is it to get these for the summer months on more relaxed courses (Wouldn't be caught dead rocking these at a CC):

https://www.footjoy.com/golf-shoes/men/spiked/golf-sandals/016SPE.html?dwvar_016SPE_color=45318&dwvar_016SPE_width=Medium#start=11

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

One of my playing partners bought those when he was recovering from chemo and his feet were bothering him. That was a couple years ago and he’s doing good now and will still wear them if we play late enough there no dew, he really likes them.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Unless you’re physically on the beach, flip flops should never be worn

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
COVID status.....NEGATIVE.

Which means I’m heading down to Porto Cima on Tuesday!!!

I’m planning on at least 6 rounds from Wednesday - Saturday, but may try to get 36 in each day if time allows.

I’ll try to take some pictures and post some when I get back. It’s one of the nicest courses I’ve ever played, and I’m totally psyched to be able to get so many rounds in. In the past I’ve normally only played one or two when I’m in the area.

Hope my driver cooperated though, or it could be a long week.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Those are hideous.

Edit: thread wasn't refreshed. Referring to the disgusting golf sandals, in case that wasn't obvious.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

BCRock posted:

Those are hideous.

Edit: thread wasn't refreshed. Referring to the disgusting golf sandals, in case that wasn't obvious.

My cousin had some golf sandals, they quickly became the foulest smelling footwear I’ve ever encountered.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

dangling pointer posted:

I personally have footjoy tour whatever (spikes) and bought some nike AirMax golf shoes (spikeless) this year. While I definitely feel more planted in the footjoys I still wore the air max’s a decent amount this year. It’s not like I’m falling over on the tee box in spikeless.

Some older golfers (around my age) were virulently against leaving metal spikes. Then they figured out that soft spikes are pretty darn good. Then spikeless was a bridge too far. Me, I found some much better spikeless shoes I love, and rarely wear my spiked shoes except when I know it's going to be spongey wet.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I would be more worried about those spikeless shoes becoming relatively worthless on the course once they wear out. From personal experience, those spikes wear out pretty quickly and golf shoes aren't cheap. Then again, my swing's pretty aggressive so that probably doesn't help.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
There’s a couple of options there. Nike Trail Running shoes make excellent spikeless golf shoes. Also I wear True Links and they’re perfect. Super comfortable to walk in, great traction, and look good enough that I can wear them visiting customers and then go straight to the course.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

dangling pointer posted:

I just picked up a couple pair of the Air Maxes and they’re pretty darn good. Spikeless but the tread on them is pretty aggressive

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
I've never had the tread of a spikeless golf shoe wear out before the rest of the shoe has given up entirely.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I'm good with whatever the Footjoy's spikeless platform in the SL/BOA is and don't care about ordering and replacing various softspikes anymore. The SL's are ugly as hell though (mine are all black).

I also have a pair of Adidas Boost spikeless of some sort that seem grippy enough as well with a knobby waffle pattern.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

How long do the spikeless shoes last you guys?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Kirios posted:

I wear three pairs. One with spikes, two without. I'll get a couple of seasons on the spikeless, and change the spikes once a year on the spiked, but the spiked only last about three years, anyway. My good, leather non-sneaker style spiked shoes I've had for a decade, but I also don't wear them anymore.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Years, like BC said the shoe wears out before the traction.

That’s the sole of the Nike spikeless.

The only grip issue I’ve had was with the early spikeless shoes that pretty much had a running shoe bottom so any kind of moisture on grass you weren’t getting grip.

Edit: To piggyback on Torg, I have several pairs of golf shoes so that obviously increases the time for wear. Right now I’m just rotating a black pair and a white pair but in the past I also had gray and brown pairs I was mixing in

Shrapnig fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 4, 2020

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
So stoked today. Shot the best round of my life, an 81. Nothing felt too awesome, just putting all my chips into places that were easy two putts and a handful of one putts. The greens being soaked helped too. Ready to go out every day this week now lol.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I’m on vacation for the next 2 weeks. Much golf is going to be played.

Someone make a trip down to central Florida and come play :)

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

mattfl posted:

I’m on vacation for the next 2 weeks. Much golf is going to be played.

Someone make a trip down to central Florida and come play :)

Family is in and around Titusville, but I won't be travelling there for a while.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Kirios posted:

My first spikeless were a few pairs of on-sale 2015 era Adidas Boost, that like already mentioned, were gross and stained from getting muddy long before the spikes wore out.

If I played every single round with a pair I'd guess 50 rounds??

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Welp I may have been exposed to covid at my golf course a week and a half ago and just found out yesterday. Now I'm quarantining for the rest of this week with a test scheduled Wednesday. No symptoms and pretty low chance I contracted it but still need to wait and see.

I'm supposed to play in charity scrambles at the course this weekend and the following weekend and may just cancel. I still plan on golfing as much as I can this fall but will probably just walk the course by myself after work without even going into the clubhouse.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Ok, so I went and hit some drivers, 3w and 5w to get back in the groove. Of course, they were spot on from the first swing on the range.

Played the tips at a course I've played once before, 6900 yards so no way to play conservative golf off the tee all day. So, even when I could get away with 5i as my tee shot, I decided to not worry about the score and try and just play driver/3w as yardage dictated.

Of course, I had one wayward drive, hit them like I'd never left them.

Two questions for the group: The one bad drive, I basically had bad footing, thought it would be ok, and on my backswing, my heel just sank into the little hole I knew was there before hand and I just hooked the poo poo out of the ball. I cannot make myself stop a swing i've begun, no matter what happens. You could shoot me, I'd be lunging at the ball as I died. Is there some way of training myself out of that poo poo? Loud noise in my swing, sliding foot, whatever, I complete that swing, dammit!

Second, has anyone dealt with an odd aeration where they have parallel slices in the green, about 1/8 inch deep? It was funky, it didn't affect putting as much as it seemed it should, but it hosed up finding lines all day.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
I played twice this weekend and I’m playing twice again this coming weekend. It’s the most golf I’ve ever played in such a short period of time. I’m very excited about it.

Also beating the poo poo out of my friends that play 3-4 times a week is a great feeling.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Without diving too much on Youtube...does anyone have any general tips for chipping? It's by far the worst part of my game - my putting isn't great but I'll mostly get two puts out of it. My driving is good and iron striking is very good (for my handicap any ways), but I'm good to blade at least 4-5 chips a round and it just absolutely kills my score. I have to be leaving close to a dozen shots per round on my horrible chipping ability. It's something I've never gotten a lesson before, so I don't really have a "technique" per say, but the other things have come to me more naturally than this aspect of the game. Please help!

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
What distances are you struggling with when chipping? Inside 50yds? Or outside? Struggling with pitching or actual up and down chipping?

I’m going to apologize for it being a Barstool video but this has completely changed my chipping and pitching:

https://youtu.be/9E-gdx-o1sg

Daric fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Oct 7, 2020

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Inside 50 yards. Any time I can make a mostly full swing I'm fine, so, say, a soft 75% swing sand wedge to 50 yards and stop isn't something that bothers me. But anything where I need a more...proper chipping technique (say 30 yards or less) or need to go up and down and get it relatively close to the hole there's just no hope for me. I have zero confidence in those shots.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvmHU5Hcs2k

Just search "Phil Mickelson short game" on YouTube and go hog wild.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Phil is great too, but Kisner explains it in such an obvious way. It literally changed everything for me.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Daric posted:

Phil is great too, but Kisner explains it in such an obvious way. It literally changed everything for me.

Watching that video - it makes a ton of sense why I skull it. My hands are out in front - I don't tuck it at all, and if I had to watch myself...I probably don't move my chest at all when chipping. Definitely some food for thought - thanks Daric! Is it the same technique for any club you use when chipping?

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
For those 50 yards and in shots, yeah. Once you get outside that your arms will have to come away from your body and it will turn into more of a regular iron swing.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
That Kisner video is good, but it's very basic. If you're literally incapable of hitting a decent chip like that dude was it will definitely help.

The whole thing is basically two tips, which are 1) turn your chest, and 2) keep your elbows bent and tucked, but it's pretty light on reasons why those things matter and anything more advanced than that.

There's one line in there about "to hit it higher just open the face." How do you do that? With your grip? With your hands? Do you change the ball position at all if you're opening the face? Where should the ball be in the first place? Should your weight be forward/back/neutral? I didn't see him mention that at all, and it makes a huge difference.

Phil's a giant golf nerd who's unusually talented at explaining things in a way that makes sense to normal people. He's also one of the best wedge players to ever live, so I definitely recommend checking his stuff out if you want to go beyond "just stop chunking chips" to really getting good at short game shots.

BCRock fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 7, 2020

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
The other tip for chipping is that acceleration is key. If you decelerate on a chip or bunker shot it’s basically game over.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Once I took my wrists out of the equation I mastered chipping (talking about inside 50 yards). Just don’t break your wrists at all, make the swing all arms, and it’s really hard to gently caress up.

Not sure if that’s the agreed upon technique but it made it really easy for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I like Rocco's basic old school 56° only stuff too, since I've been only using a 56° these days.

https://www.golfchannel.com/video/rocco-mediates-short-game-tips-and-method-success

on warming up at the range
https://www.golfchannel.com/video/rocco-mediate-range-playing-lessons

these are good too...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Tsueak6NR0 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uahqdHJDqNk

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 7, 2020