Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
we don't need to. we could annex canada for logging or whatever, but why do that when we can just buy the product cheap from y'all and you pay for their health care

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

we don't need to. we could annex canada for logging or whatever, but why do that when we can just buy the product cheap from y'all and you pay for their health care

americans can't even stop killing each other, what makes you think they can annex anything? I mean I understand you've been bombarded with propaganda all your life but come on

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I think you're misconstruing my posts as things that I actually support and believe in. I'm telling you what the positions are of the government that rules us are. if you're just going to keep saying i've been cucked by right wing propaganda there's not much more discussion to be had

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
american government couldn't even manage a tariff on canadian aluminium

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
canada's crowning contribution to the space race was the big arm on the space shuttle, which was designed to steal soviet spy satellites from orbit

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
:gas:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

My settler colonial nation is actually better than yours you see!

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

canada's crowning contribution to the space race was the big arm on the space shuttle, which was designed to steal soviet spy satellites from orbit

the soviets won the space race anyway

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
great contributions today smoka

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

SmokaDustbowl posted:

russia could come down from alaska through the yukon and northwest territories lol

yeah i remember the battle of anchorage

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
all these things that the american government/military supposedly can't manage are just things they are choosing not to manage, because it doesn't help them get richer or more powerful. but if we want to blow some poo poo up, you better believe we still got bombs and they still work

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Jonny 290 posted:

we covered this thing in elementary school and we're supposed to be so proud of it lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i wanted to work for SPAR so bad when i was a kid. they had an office in my city too

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

we covered this thing in elementary school and we're supposed to be so proud of it lol

hey, you also have the canadair regional jet

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
well there was the arrow, and my fil hates embraer and alyays says air canada should stick with bombardier

aerospace is cool

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

canada used to have a really strong aerospace industry, and indeed a pretty outsized high tech capability in general (nortel, rim, etc) before stephen harper decided that the only canadian industry worth supporting was digging poo poo out of the ground

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
rip rim jobs

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

canada used to have a really strong aerospace industry, and indeed a pretty outsized high tech capability in general (nortel, rim, etc) before stephen harper decided that the only canadian industry worth supporting was digging poo poo out of the ground
all of the aerospace jobs ive seen recently are in motreal and god drat is it tempsting

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Bored Online posted:

rip rim jobs

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
state support wouldn’t actually have saved any of those tech companies. their products sucked and they couldn’t adapt. that is capitalism doing the thing it’s actually supposed to be good at, allocating resources away from terrible money pits and forcing institutions to eventually face reality

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rjmccall posted:

state support wouldn’t actually have saved any of those tech companies. their products sucked and they couldn’t adapt.

hmm yes i can't think of any cases where the state subsidizes an otherwise unprofitable company that makes bad products, that's not a thing

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
obviously the state can keep inefficient companies limping on forever, or just pay them to turn into completely different companies. but then they’re just big government contractors, not part of a large, robust tech sector. and like every other big government contractor they would be shithole money pits where good ideas go to die

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
like i get that you have a personal narrative where a big bad conservative pm personally ruined the canadian tech industry by refusing to support it

but it actually died because it has never more than a couple companies with temporarily successful niches. those companies calcified around their niches and became market failures. that kind of calcification becomes structural in an institution; it’s not unfixable, but it takes actual leadership and a willingness to break with the status quo. both of those are undermined by someone just throwing money at it specifically to stop anything from changing

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

drawing the conclusion "of course we can annex canada" based on the argument "just look how many bombs we have" is very much the recipe for all the american military failures over the past 70 years writ large.

otoh i understand the impulse to state the problems in as large a form as possible, since the much more likely outcome, that things will slowly but deliberately get worse without any real cataclysmic events, is more distinctly depressing.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
canadian aerospace was done long before harper. i'm p. sure boeing had bought MD and shuttered their plants by 2003. so was nortel. rim arguably had their heyday during his filthy reign, but lots of other canadian tech sector companies were already flaming out by the late 90s/early 2000s.

you can blame him for being a kitten eating monster, but he didn't kill the canadian tech industry

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Canada has a thriving real estate industry.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it doesn't help that there are like three cities, and only two of them anyone wants to live in if they don't speak french

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Oct 5, 2020

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Canada has a thriving real estate industry.

come buy our oil and trees pls

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Cold on a Cob posted:

come buy our oil and trees pls

throw in some seal blubber and we’ll talk

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

President Beep posted:

throw in some seal blubber and we’ll talk

look rob ford is dead and he isn't coming back ok?? :(

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Cold on a Cob posted:

look rob ford is dead and he isn't coming back ok?? :(

his brother is stil around though. god dammit do not hold out on me!

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Bored Online posted:

rip rim jobs

lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

President Beep posted:

his brother is stil around though. god dammit do not hold out on me!

his brother is a vaguely humanoid rat, idk what you want but it ain't gonna be seal blubber

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

infernal machines posted:

his brother is a vaguely humanoid rat, idk what you want but it ain't gonna be seal blubber

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

infernal machines posted:

oh lol. i assumed he was a ruddy, amorphous blob too

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
rob ford: fat and ugly as gently caress
doug ford: gently caress

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
canada has dutch disease w real estate exports

they cant have any industry because they have their own currency and too much real estate

should expropriate imo

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

lol kaylee mcenany is dancing the covid jig

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Roosevelt posted:

lol kaylee mcenany is dancing the covid jig
couldn’t happen to a nicer apparatchik

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

justice continues to be served