Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manifisto

Khanstant posted:

dumb question are faces and normals the same thing basically? like, the normal being the intended-visible side of a mesh(or rather the space between 3+ vertices)?

as far as blender is concerned, face normals seem to be the only ones that are used in the program, and yeah, it's the "outside facing" surface of the face. you can make the interface display vertex normals as well, and I gather these are used in other software packages, but if there's a way to make them useful in blender I'm not aware of it. (they may well be used under the hood, I'm talking about taking advantage of them from the user perspective).

Jenny Agutter posted:

when i was blendering this guy https://i.imgur.com/cc0i4bj.mp4 my computer was struggling so i turned on the stats and realized it has over 2M faces in the middle of the animation. note to self be more careful with curve generators

this is neat, is that the ivy generator?

ty nesamdoom!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter

Manifisto posted:

as far as blender is concerned, face normals seem to be the only ones that are used in the program, and yeah, it's the "outside facing" surface of the face. you can make the interface display vertex normals as well, and I gather these are used in other software packages, but if there's a way to make them useful in blender I'm not aware of it. (they may well be used under the hood, I'm talking about taking advantage of them from the user perspective).

this is neat, is that the ivy generator?

yeah, i love the extra curves and extra objects addons

Khanstant
any of you blendermen got XP with character modeling?

Initially I was going to go with: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QT1GNMevfc&t=7s
but I noticed it's quite old, and this workflow kind of looked tedious from what I'd seen so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-mx-Jfx9lA
Then I saw this and my jaw dropped. I didn't even think about, just like, mushing up some 3d clay and going at it like you would with Sculpey or something. Then they make a semi simpler mesh of the sculpted model, shrinkwrapped to the original model. Then hes doing animation black magic, and then he has to rebuild the mesh again, this time much more like the method in the 6 years old video. I mean, obviously I'm not going to be making Pixar on my first attempt and probably don't need to do some of this just for my own uhh pointless and stupid endeavors.

Then I'm seeing this one, and a minute and a half they've already kind of way shot ahead of the other one by starting with a vaguely head shaped mesh rather than building one out from a little spa mask you make. Seems kind of like a middle path, but with less explanation of anything. hmmm might just be referencing multiple tuts

Oldstench

Let's talk about where you're going.
Here's a modern chair thing I made.

Wireframe if you're into that.

Oldstench

And an experiment with trying to make convincing OJ.

Manifisto

Oldstench posted:

really neat! well done, the deformations on the cushions are quite realistic, and the stitching is a great detail. actually, how did you make that stitching?

Oldstench posted:

And an experiment with trying to make convincing OJ.

I like it! I was trying to make pulpy lemonade for a summer sig I did for pot smoke phoenix and found it a challenge. is that a particle system (what I ultimately used) or something in the material?

ty nesamdoom!

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."

Oldstench posted:

really cool, thanks for sharing

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

RazzleDazzleHour

Oldstench posted:

This is real cool, did you use physics to do the squishes or make them manually?

Khanstant

Oldstench posted:

the slight pillowing wrinkle effect looks fantastic! also just a cool chair

Oldstench

Manifisto posted:

really neat! well done, the deformations on the cushions are quite realistic, and the stitching is a great detail. actually, how did you make that stitching?
The stitching was done using a bezier curve with a very small bezel to give it thickness.

Manifisto posted:

I like it! I was trying to make pulpy lemonade for a summer sig I did for pot smoke phoenix and found it a challenge. is that a particle system (what I ultimately used) or something in the material?
Just a Principled BDSF using subsurf scattering.

blaise rascal posted:

really cool, thanks for sharing
Thank you.

Khanstant posted:

the slight pillowing wrinkle effect looks fantastic! also just a cool chair
Thanks. The wrinkling was done with the sculpting tool. This was done before the cloth sim was added, so this was all manual. Not sure if it was worth it (hence the closeup glamour shot).

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

This is real cool, did you use physics to do the squishes or make them manually?
Thanks. Manual squishes using Lattice deformations.

Manifisto

Oldstench posted:

The stitching was done using a bezier curve with a very small bezel to give it thickness.

in order to get the stitchlike appearance, did you use a modifier, or some curve property like a bevel object or a taper, or what?

owlhawk911

come chill with me, in byob

https://www.models-resource.com/nintendo_switch/supermarioodyssey/model/24029/

i found this whilst googling wedding bowser. is blender the appropriate tool to make him wink and me and give the ok sign/a thumbs up?

https://giant.gfycat.com/PlasticAngryHousefly.webm
this sig a mf'n vanisher joint. gobbos by khanstant

Manifisto

owlhawk911 posted:

https://www.models-resource.com/nintendo_switch/supermarioodyssey/model/24029/

i found this whilst googling wedding bowser. is blender the appropriate tool to make him wink and me and give the ok sign/a thumbs up?

it was hard to tell just by looking at the download information, they don't really tell you what format is inside the zip. I downloaded it and used Blender' "Import FBX" and was able to import the wedding bowser, which came with a rig and textures. the rig looks a bit strange, the bones are not aligned how I would expect, this may be an artifact of the import. but yes, I was able to open it, move one of the arms, open one of the eyes, and make this render:

the materials are not perfect, I had to adjust the "rougness" sliders in the materials and probably a better job could be done. It's a fairly complete rig, so while I think you could do most of whatever you needed with it figuring out the way the rig works would take some time.

I guess the answer is, yes blender can do what you are looking for in all likelihood, but I think it might be challenging for a beginner to blender and/or to animating rigs.

ty nesamdoom!

Oldstench

Manifisto posted:

in order to get the stitchlike appearance, did you use a modifier, or some curve property like a bevel object or a taper, or what?

OK - IIRC this is how I created the stich pattern.

1) Duplicate an edge loop on the main cushion cylinder.
2) Convert to curve.
3) Select all points in edit mode and subdivide once.
4) Checker deselect so only every other point is selected.
5) Scale those points inward just a touch you have a sin wave sorta pattern. The lower parts of the wave should clip into the mesh for the cylinder, so it looks like stitching.
6) Select the Object Data Properties tab for the curve and increase the Geometry->Bevel->Depth to taste.
7) Add a subsurf modifier to smooth it out.

Hope that makes sense.

Manifisto

Oldstench posted:

OK - IIRC this is how I created the stich pattern.

1) Duplicate an edge loop on the main cushion cylinder.
2) Convert to curve.
3) Select all points in edit mode and subdivide once.
4) Checker deselect so only every other point is selected.
5) Scale those points inward just a touch you have a sin wave sorta pattern. The lower parts of the wave should clip into the mesh for the cylinder, so it looks like stitching.
6) Select the Object Data Properties tab for the curve and increase the Geometry->Bevel->Depth to taste.
7) Add a subsurf modifier to smooth it out.

Hope that makes sense.

it does, and the node checker deselect thing is how I probably would have made the wave if I couldn't figure out something else. I was sorta hoping there was something procedural, but it certainly looks good! thanks for the info.

ty nesamdoom!

Oldstench

Manifisto posted:

it does, and the node checker deselect thing is how I probably would have made the wave if I couldn't figure out something else. I was sorta hoping there was something procedural, but it certainly looks good! thanks for the info.

You can do it with a script really easily probably.

Khanstant
i love that the same site i used to use to download sprite sheets to make, like, OC megaman characters is also where you can download game models now. im messing with n64 link rn!

keep on truckin my boy, sorry what i did to your bones im still learnding

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 5, 2020

RazzleDazzleHour

What the hell N64 models with current material shaders look dope as gently caress

owlhawk911

come chill with me, in byob

i'm gonna use blender to put everyone's favourite video game characters in wack-rear end crystal prisons

https://giant.gfycat.com/PlasticAngryHousefly.webm
this sig a mf'n vanisher joint. gobbos by khanstant

RazzleDazzleHour

owlhawk911 posted:

i'm gonna use blender to put everyone's favourite video game characters in wack-rear end crystal prisons

This is the plot of Smash Brothers Ultimate

Jenny Agutter

blaise rascal

very cool!

Manifisto

wow, that's nice work

ty nesamdoom!

blaise rascal

I have a feel good story y'all! Remember when I posted a tutorial by dedouze a while back? I really like his tutorials and art, so I decided to support him at tipeee.com a while back. I didn't realize it but my donation qualified me for a gift in the mail! I got this stunning 3D postcard all the way from France. It's tough to describe how cool it looks but I'm definitely gonna frame it!

Manifisto

blaise rascal posted:

I have a feel good story y'all! Remember when I posted a tutorial by dedouze a while back? I really like his tutorials and art, so I decided to support him at tipeee.com a while back. I didn't realize it but my donation qualified me for a gift in the mail! I got this stunning 3D postcard all the way from France. It's tough to describe how cool it looks but I'm definitely gonna frame it!

that is super neat

byob project: make sigs into holographic postcards

blaise rascal

Manifisto posted:

that is super neat

byob project: make sigs into holographic postcards
I was curious about this, and looked up how to print custom "lenticular" cards myself in the USA. This was the only result I could find:
https://photo.walgreens.com/store/lenticular-print-details#!/pdpview

Anyway, here's one other cool postcard i've gotten in my life: https://thegoteam.bandcamp.com/album/the-ice-storm
It plays a song on a record player! Has nothing to do with blender but it's cool

Manifisto

neat idea. I found a few others, such as 4over4.com, which offers 2"x3.5" for a starting price of 500 for $400, yikes. world3d.com offers the service but no prices, you need a quote.

by those standards, the walgreens price is not bad at all.

ty nesamdoom!

Jenny Agutter

blaise rascal posted:

really really cool

RazzleDazzleHour

I will have a Blender project to post Soon™

Manifisto

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

exciting!

vanisher

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I am Excited™!!

Goons Are Gifts

So I heard words about the blender babes tag,

RazzleDazzleHour

This one's 100% Blender

Manifisto

great work! I love the hull above the mantel. and the landscaping outside the window looks very good, I find that hard to get realistic.

ty nesamdoom!

vanisher

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

This one's 100% Blender

wow excellent modelling/materials/lighting - very nice!

Sig images courtesy of the talented Luvcow, Dumb Sex-Parrot, & Death Sext

vanisher

I feel like once you can model something and get the materials to look that good there's probably jobs available in graphic design somewhere.

Sig images courtesy of the talented Luvcow, Dumb Sex-Parrot, & Death Sext

Manifisto

vanisher posted:

I feel like once you can model something and get the materials to look that good there's probably jobs available in graphic design somewhere.

I learned that, no joke, many product catalogs, ikea for example, are entirely rendered

no more photography, bye bye

that way you can make the catalog before you even make the products, and if you need to make a change tweaking the render is no biggie

ty nesamdoom!

RazzleDazzleHour

vanisher posted:

Manifisto posted:

I learned that, no joke, many product catalogs, ikea for example, are entirely rendered

no more photography, bye bye

that way you can make the catalog before you even make the products, and if you need to make a change tweaking the render is no biggie

I made this image specifically as part of a job interview process

The landscaping outside is just a photograph I took and slapped on a flat plane outside the window. The ship hull is actually the one thing I didn't make myself along with the little plant - basically any decoration stuff takes way more time out of your production schedule if you're making it yourself, so most studios have model libraries of free use license items they can just drop in the scene. Making things yourself is way more time and way more of your clients money since they normally pay hourly. Apparently, most interior design production agencies won't even do stuff like furniture themselves, you just grab stuff off of CGtrader and whatnot. You spend 10$ on a nice looking couch there and you've actually saved yourself more money than if they were to pay you even an hour's worth of work. So, the plant I got from Poliigon, and the ship is actually a photoscan replica of a piece of artwork from a museum that was posted to Sketchfab for free use. I got to the end of the render and needed something big to go on the mantle that matched the look and color scheme of the room and really liked it. Everything else like the little fireplace tool set I made myself, I even used a hair simulation for the brush.

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 21, 2020

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

The landscaping outside is just a photograph I took and slapped on a flat plane outside the window.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

This one's 100 83% Blender

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench

NSFW I guess.