Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Darthemed posted:

I can't believe someone would rate Cyborg that highly.

S'all Albert Pyun man. I love that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

watched Eliminators and scott adkins certainly does do cool flip kicks but the underlying story is kind of dull. You need a lot more to get me to engage with family court bs. 2.5/5

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Stairmaster posted:

watched Eliminators and scott adkins certainly does do cool flip kicks but the underlying story is kind of dull. You need a lot more to get me to engage with family court bs. 2.5/5

Adkins rules but there's a less dull, very fun other movie called Eliminators this thread might appreciate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmBHBNsFIhE

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Darthemed posted:

I can't believe someone would rate Cyborg that highly.

It's weird that it's called cyborg, yet has very little cyborg related material, while the director's film, nemesis, has a lot of cyborgs and cyborg related material, but isn't called cyborg. What a tangled web we weave.

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
So apparently AMC launched a new streaming service, and with that, Gangs of London is available to steam in the US now!

https://www.amcplus.com

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
This one time I was mad at Albert Pyun for directing Wheels of Fire, but then I remembered that that's actually Cirio Santiago.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I saw Triple Threat this weekend and it was a solid flick but just a tad disappointing for what I feel was wasted potential. The Jaa vs Adkins feud was solid, Michael Jai White vs Iko climaxed not the way I hoped and funny enough the entire movie it feels like Iko was chumped on.

Middling flick with great stars.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Gatts posted:

I saw Triple Threat this weekend and it was a solid flick but just a tad disappointing for what I feel was wasted potential. The Jaa vs Adkins feud was solid, Michael Jai White vs Iko climaxed not the way I hoped and funny enough the entire movie it feels like Iko was chumped on.

I feel pretty much the same, and I don't think I got Iko's plan. It felt needlessly complicated and kept him from kneeing and punching people, which should be a big no no for any plot point.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Gatts posted:

The best part was Dominique Vandenberg, the ultimate 'also-ran' of cheapo action movies, getting killed, stupidly, in the second big action scene.

I watched 'The Mercenary' on this thread's recomendation and it is actually a solid, nasty little action film. Incredibly cheaply and poorly made at times, but also impressively bloody. Literally every punch and kick sends a geyser of blood out. And when the knives come out...god drat.

fun fact, though. While searching for it, I also found another film with the same title, with Olivier Grunner as a mercenary and John Ritter, of '10 rules for dating my daughter' fame as the rich guy who hires him. It sounds made up, but seems to be real. I'll let you know how it goes.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
Yea, I re-watched it a year later and it was better the second time around. I think the disapointment comes from having such an incredible cast, I mean come on Adkins/Iko/Jaa/Chen (Tiger Chen owns in this movie - I also highly recommend Man of Tai Chi) should be an action movie of all time, but the story needed more, it should have been longer imo - looking up on wiki - the budget was only $5mil - which I don't know how accurate, but for that talent and production - that seems way tooo loving low.

I also just watched the new Adkins movie Seized - Maybe others won't find it as great as I do but I think it's just a few steps below Avengement.

I highly recommend going into it blind. It's really fun and a true banger.

4.5/5 stars

(also that was me recommending the mercenary so you know I'm legit!)

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Hirez posted:

Yea, I re-watched it a year later and it was better the second time around. I think the disapointment comes from having such an incredible cast, I mean come on Adkins/Iko/Jaa/Chen (Tiger Chen owns in this movie - I also highly recommend Man of Tai Chi) should be an action movie of all time, but the story needed more, it should have been longer imo - looking up on wiki - the budget was only $5mil - which I don't know how accurate, but for that talent and production - that seems way tooo loving low.

I also just watched the new Adkins movie Seized - Maybe others won't find it as great as I do but I think it's just a few steps below Avengement.

I highly recommend going into it blind. It's really fun and a true banger.

4.5/5 stars

(also that was me recommending the mercenary so you know I'm legit!)

I was kind of keen to see The Mercenary anyway, but your write up did convince me. It's star was the last of those 'he's a legit fighter so watch his movies' and popped up in the early 2000s. There was shitloads of breathless fluff about how he'd been a legit fighter in thailand and had been the best French Foreign Legion guy ever. He wrote a book called the Iron Ring about how many people he beat up and how many women he had sex with in Thailand while AWOL from the Legion, who were fine with this guy constantly going AWOL because he was so good at French Foreign Legioning. All that came of it was a small part in Gangs of New York and a couple of really bad and cheap action movies. The Mercenary was good fun, though. I liked the bizarre, dream like logic of the early scenes. I wish there'd been more of that. As you say, Mandylor is really good and I hope he keeps getting work.

It's not just the budget, it's also how you spend it. The Raid cost 1 mil, the Raid 2 cost four and a half but more than that, it needed some time.

Triple Threat needed a better script, obviously, but it also just needed to be a bit longer. Let everything breathe a little more. It's the curse of action films and it's the main difference between the classics and the also rans: taking the time in the set up. I started watching Wolf Warrior, and while the action's pretty good, it's got that real impatience in every shot and cut. In the opening scene, there's a cool zoom from a wide shot (probably with a drone) right up to the main character, concealed at the top of a crane with a sniper rifle. It could have been a dope shot, but it does a crash zoom effect straight from the wide to the close up. When they do something like that, even when they've got a cool shot, you start to wonder what they're hiding with all the constant zooms and cuts.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Snowman_McK posted:

In the opening scene, there's a cool zoom from a wide shot (probably with a drone) right up to the main character, concealed at the top of a crane with a sniper rifle. It could have been a dope shot, but it does a crash zoom effect straight from the wide to the close up. When they do something like that, even when they've got a cool shot, you start to wonder what they're hiding with all the constant zooms and cuts.

What they're hiding is the film makers have no budget and to get those sweet shots like the old days - there's no time to let Jackie Chan do 40 takes to kick a sword into his hands

Like half of Scott Adkins movies are shot in like 12 days of filming

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

40 Proof Listerine posted:

What they're hiding is the film makers have no budget and to get those sweet shots like the old days - there's no time to let Jackie Chan do 40 takes to kick a sword into his hands

Like half of Scott Adkins movies are shot in like 12 days of filming

that doesn't quite work, though, since Adkins' moves always look good. The rushed parts I was talking about aren't in the fight scenes. Adkins is smart enough to, most of the time, keep the choreography simple and focus on selling it. The rushed parts are in everything else.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Someone please watch the Seagal interview by Scott Adkins for me, I don't have the tolerance for cringy stuff anymore.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
I regret to inform you that "Cops and Robbers", starring Michael Jai White, is not an action movie. It's a crime drama about a bank heist. He doesn't throw a single punch. :(

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

dokmo posted:

Someone please watch the Seagal interview by Scott Adkins for me, I don't have the tolerance for cringy stuff anymore.

:emptyquote:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Dog_Meat posted:

For the posters who are just starting their Van Damme journey - don't be fooled by one version of the box artwork for J.C.V.D

It's an absolutely amazing film (seriously), but it's NOT an action movie. For some reason the cover on my DVD copy has a generic straight-to-DVD cover complete with giant floating Van Damme head and some building exploding.

Also, don't watch it unless you're a serious Van Damme fan who grew up with his movies and knows his history of being a bit batshit because that movie really does tear JC open for all to see.

This is all true, especially the bit about it being an amazing movie.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Signal boosting JCVD as a great movie, also love the single take scene at the beginning...

But I feel like we're overlooking that Blind Fury is available for streaming. If you haven't seen it, you need to drop everything and fire it up right now.

NOW

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
JCVD is also one of those films where you can see a series of trailers getting more Action Movie as the American release date approaches. It's definitely not an action movie.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

I had no idea it was a film, I thought you guys were talking about the show Jean-Claude Van Johnson this whole time as was confused - now I have to get around to watching both

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Who fancies some Yuen Biao of a friday?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFtr4ckzb4U

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Uh, guys?

https://twitter.com/HeadExposure/status/1316088866584002561?s=19

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I'm gonna watch it, but Alain Moussi sucked in Kickboxer: Vengeance, he has no charisma.

I highly recommend Logothetis's Wikipedia page which he absolutely wrote himself:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimitri_Logothetis

Dimitri Logothetis posted:

Logothetis wrote and produced Kickboxer: Vengeance starring Jean-Claude Van Damme and the new kickboxer, Alain Moussi, with other talents such as Dave Bautista, Georges Saint-Pierre, and Gina Carano. Logothetis was attracted to the original Jean-Claude Van Damme's Kickboxer because of his martial arts background and that's what inspired him to pursue the rights to the original, develop a reboot of the franchise and ultimately write, produce and direct a contemporary version of the pop culture, iconic Kickboxer. It was important that Logothetis to convince Van Damme to step into the role of mentor to ordain a new, high octane Kickboxer who has a sixth degree black belt in Jiu-Jitsu, Alain Moussi.

Because Kickboxer: Vengeance was such a successful independent feature in the world market, it generated a sequel. In 2016, Logothetis wrote and directed the sequel Kickboxer: Retaliation which brought new talent such as Hafþór júlíus björnsson from Game of Thrones and Christopher Lambert, "The Highlander".

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

uh obvious watch on Day 1. I'm starting to appreciate Frank Grillo more; he's been in a ton of stuff I watched recently because I'm running out of things to watch.

Wheelman, Point Blank and Donnybrook. I also remember liking The Punisher, mainly due to him - even if the itself wasn't that great. Is the TV show Kingdom worth watching? I don't think I've ever seen a show from them except Friday Night Lights, and by that point it was all downhill

Hirez fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 14, 2020

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

For a movie titled Jiu Jitsu there sure is a lack of Jiu Jitsu in the trailer.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Digital Jedi posted:

For a movie titled Jiu Jitsu there sure is a lack of Jiu Jitsu in the trailer.
I mean it's from a guy that made a movie called "Kickboxer" that had Moussi and Batista using swords in the key showdowns

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
They had me at Nicolas Cage.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

was it the one that had drunk GSP? I watched the reboots and they were both perfectly fine :argh: but I'm also a huge Scott Adkins fanboy (and even though he wasn't in these, they felt like Adkins type movies e: oh he was originally cast; along with Tony Jaa but both got out for whatever reason so he prolly would have been Moussi)

Hirez fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Oct 14, 2020

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Are any of the terminator sequels good? Obviously 2, but what about the rest of them? The new one looked kinda good? Linda Hamiltons back and so on? I last intended to watch a terminator film with the christian bale lead? I think? I feel like I may have seen the film or just seen the trailer.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

I remember watching all and they were all a let down and not memorable to me. Some cool action scenes obviously when you're getting like a 200m for the film its hard to gently caress THAT part up.

The one with the Spanish brother/sister could have been a lot better, but I think it was decent enough but dumb enough to make it forgettable; and that might of even been the latest but like I said, forgettable.

The Sarah Connor Chronicles TV show (first season 9 eps, second season 22 eps on Fox) was the only "good" sequel/spinoff/reboot

Hirez fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 14, 2020

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Southpaugh posted:

Are any of the terminator sequels good? Obviously 2, but what about the rest of them? The new one looked kinda good? Linda Hamiltons back and so on? I last intended to watch a terminator film with the christian bale lead? I think? I feel like I may have seen the film or just seen the trailer.

The general answer you will get is 'no'

I think 3-4 are the worst kind of bad, the boring kind. I think 5-6 are varying levels of entertaining while not being anywhere near as good as 1-2.

Every single movie after 2 in some way tries to position itself as "the real Terminator 3 and worthy sequel to T2", and whiffs

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Hirez posted:

Spanish brother/sister

loving what?!

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

3 is okay IMO, moreso cause the other ones really suck. If you expect cheese with decent performances you'll have fun. Dark Fate is also okay, just has little reason to exist after all the other ones that failed. The other 2 are just pure garbage.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Southpaugh posted:

They're all pretty much fine, just don't expect them to be anywhere near the level of the first two. Dark Fate probably comes the closest.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Southpaugh posted:

Are any of the terminator sequels good? Obviously 2, but what about the rest of them?

Good means average to me, 3 was super 90s and OK, Salvation had interesting aspects but overall was mediocre. Genysis is insultingly poor and I've not seen the newest one so can't comment but going on previous ones I'm not exactly gagging to see it.

IMO: there are only 2 Terminator movies.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The new one is acceptable. But yeah, in reality, The Terminator and Terminator 2: Judgement Day are the only two Terminator films made.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Gonz posted:

The new one is acceptable. But yeah, in reality, The Terminator and Terminator 2: Judgement Day are the only two Terminator films made.

I find 3 to be dumb fun in its own way (and it has a gutsy ending and still feels tied into the Cameron ones). 4 is hot garbage because it's so bleak and lifeless and has no interesting setpieces despite having a stacked cast (I blame McG for that stuff). 5 is dumb but had enjoyable aspects, mainly for how they redid 1. 6 I thought was a fairly good movie that would have been better without being tied into this franchise. If you'll only see one sequel make it 6.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I thoroughly enjoyed Hard Target the other night and am now working my way through Jean Claude Van Johnson, so thanks for the recommendations in this thread. I'm not surprised the latter was cancelled. It seems to be the usual MO for streaming services.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Terminator Salvation was a troubled production that resulted in a convoluted mess of a story, but it looks great. It's worth watching for the production design and cinematography.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXWIBlRiSqg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Southpaugh posted:

Genesys is serviceable, Dark Fate is actually pretty good, the problem is that both are beat for beat retreads of the formula established by 1 and 2 with a few variations. What's more jarring is that both have scenes that are clearly supposed to 'it's not like last time' before it is very much like last time.

4, as others have said, is genuinely loving terrible. It shouldn't be. It has a fantastic cast, a good score, really good cinematography and a decent premise, it's just dog poo poo as it actually exists, though. It's so good on paper that it's lack of quality is even more jarring.