Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

sigher posted:

Are the controls not customizable enough to give you the feel of old school space sim games? The default HOTAS set-up in the game is utter loving trash but after 20 minutes or so redoing the bindings it's been a ton of god drat fun.

Yeah, the default bindings being crap doesn't really bug me, as I accepted long ago that playing a game with a joystick means spending the first session going through the binding screen. IL-2, DCS World, Elite, anything like that. Joysticks and their layouts aren't standardized, so it's generally a crapshoot if the defaults will work for you. Some games do include specific default mappings for popular controllers (DCS and the Warthog, for example), but VKB is a more obscure manufacturer and generally doesn't have that luxury (and I remap a bunch of poo poo in their profiler anyway; adding a mouse to the analog stick, mapping the Escape key for easy menu access, setting a button to F14 as a dedicated Discord toggle, etc.) so I'm used to mapping everything from scratch anyway.

It is super annoying that SWSQ doesn't let you unbind "critical controls," so you have to do a dumb remap juggling game if you want to remap the basic UI buttons. Plus it seems to map some UI functions to buttons with no way to change them, like exiting the hanger with button 2, and I do not have button 2 mapped to anything in the controls menu (it's the second stage of my secondary trigger, which I didn't bind to anything, because the first stage is button 1, which I use as the confirmation button). Why not just let me use the "Back" button?

There are definitely issues/dumb poo poo with their binding screen and I am glad to be done with it. Once you slog through that annoyance, though, you're good to go and can just shoot bads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Shine posted:

It is super annoying that SWSQ doesn't let you unbind "critical controls," so you have to do a dumb remap juggling game if you want to remap the basic UI buttons.
It let me. Once or twice it paused the game to show a pop up complaining that xyz critical thing wasn't mapped, but it let me dismiss it.

Barnes And Body Works
Mar 2, 2016

:shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom:
:chillout:
I've acquired the Valve Index recently and have also gotten Half Life Alyx with it, Blade and Sorcery, Hot Dogs HorseShoes and Hand Grenades, The Forest, Subnautica, No Mans Sky and a few other titles but not too many..

What are some REALLY good VR titles you all have played? This is the first time I've popped in this thread!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Moss

It can’t be said enough. Best VR experience I’ve had. Fisherman’s Tale was also really quite good.

Oh, and I wouldn’t bother with Subnautica in VR. I loved it in flat and at best, it was almost playable in VR.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Oct 5, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Barnes And Body Works posted:

I've acquired the Valve Index recently and have also gotten Half Life Alyx with it, Blade and Sorcery, Hot Dogs HorseShoes and Hand Grenades, The Forest, Subnautica, No Mans Sky and a few other titles but not too many..

What are some REALLY good VR titles you all have played? This is the first time I've popped in this thread!

Just In Time Inc. is quite a fun game using slow-motion to prevent your various client's untimely deaths.

Budget Cuts is excellent sneaky fun

Accounting+ is short but well worth a play through to experience its innate madness.

Floor Plan is a simple fixed room-scale adventure game standing in a lift and checking out the various floors of a building to solve puzzles.

I Expect You To Die is an excellent seated game conducting James Bond-esque spy missions.

Sairento is a personal favourite and full of cyberpunk combat with firearms and melee weapons.

Virtual Virtual Reality is another good adventure game.

Windlands is great for chill platforming and exploration, if you can stomach swinging about like Spider-Man.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Moss is my pick for all-around best VR game. Must-play, though it's short.

I loved Submautica in VR, but I never played it flat so idk.

I highly, HIGHLY recommend PAYDAY 2. The VR support just goes above and beyond the call of duty. Stealth is amazing and nail-biting - you physically hit the deck to crouch, to hide from passing guards. More than once I've dived behind a table.

Combat feels good. Squeeze to eject a magazine, grab a new one from your floating toolbelt and put it in place, to reload. Very satisfying.

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Oct 5, 2020

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners is the best VR game. Well, I think it is. Better than Alyx at least and I really liked that a lot.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I Expect You To Die is an excellent seated game conducting James Bond-esque spy missions.

This game is cool and really polished (holy gently caress that intro sequence was AMAZING and almost worth the price of admission alone) but the gameplay is also EXTREMELY based on trial and error.

Missions will have you needing to do like 5 things.

You do the first thing, then run into things you haven't seen before and you're on a timer and die.
You do the first thing again, manage to figure out what the heck you're supposed to do next, get to a 3rd thing but the controls kinda wonk out and kill you even though you kinda figured out what you're supposed to do
You do the first thing again, you do the second thing again, you do the third thing the right way, and now a 4th thing pops up and you don't know what to do and die.
You do the first thing again, you do the second thing again...

Its a way to drag out the game's content, I suppose. But in VR I don't really have a ton of patience for this kinda thing and it pretty quickly wore thin.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

It's an older game, and somewhat simple, but Superhot VR is still one of my favorite VR games and I think it has some of the tightest and most satisfying gameplay to be found. It's probably the title I've spent the most time in.

Stormlands is another favorite, it really goes all out on locomotion and building a game that could only exist in VR. Many people hold the lackluster "endgame" against it, but if you ignore the stuff past the main story you still have an incredibly satisfying 10-15 hours. Not sure how well it works on Index at this point, I know revive at least used to have issues with it.

Also, In Death is one I don't hear many people talk about but I really enjoyed. It's a rogue like archery combat game and pretty drat creepy, I've put a lot of hours into that and I don't think I've made it past the second world. It's one of the few games where I feel like teleportation works better than free locomotion and is satisfying to use.

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.
Vertigo remastered would be my pick. It has similarities to Alyx's playstyle, but with more of an out there art style. All the bosses are real fun.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Happyimp posted:

Vertigo remastered would be my pick. It has similarities to Alyx's playstyle, but with more of an out there art style. All the bosses are real fun.

I haven't played that, but I guess providence wants me to play it, as just now I happened to see it has been added to Viveport Infinity.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Squadrons really is amazing when in VR with a HOTAS. I managed to stomach 60fps/120hz long enough to complete a few missions, and while the blurry look (its even worse than 60fps implies) nearly makes me queasy, goddamn it just feels so good to be in a starship in loving Star Wars.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Zaphod42 posted:

Squadrons really is amazing when in VR with a HOTAS. I managed to stomach 60fps/120hz long enough to complete a few missions, and while the blurry look (its even worse than 60fps implies) nearly makes me queasy, goddamn it just feels so good to be in a starship in loving Star Wars.

Yeah, it's such good poo poo. I played the campaign for another hour or so tonight. Overcharging the Interceptor's lasers and blasting an A-Wing apart is so satisfying.

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.

Turin Turambar posted:

I haven't played that, but I guess providence wants me to play it, as just now I happened to see it has been added to Viveport Infinity.

Yeah, I never really hear anyone ever talk about it. It starts out kind of slow, but it definitely picks up. You can tell the guy went on to help on Alyx. The sequel is suppose to come out soonish, but you never know nowadays.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
Is there a good way to benchmark your computer while running VR? I saw that fpsVR program but it doesn't work with Oculus and its bugging me why my i5 8400 with rtx 2060 has such problems with VR sometimes, I'm trying to work out if I just need a new CPU or if the GPU is the bottleneck.

sidenote - what's the best thing to look for in CPUs that run VR well? is it lots of threads? or high single thread performance?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

by.a.teammate posted:

Is there a good way to benchmark your computer while running VR? I saw that fpsVR program but it doesn't work with Oculus and its bugging me why my i5 8400 with rtx 2060 has such problems with VR sometimes, I'm trying to work out if I just need a new CPU or if the GPU is the bottleneck.

sidenote - what's the best thing to look for in CPUs that run VR well? is it lots of threads? or high single thread performance?

I've used this site before, I think it does pretty good estimates of bottlenecks, you can even indicate what component is OC
https://pc-builds.com/calculator/Core_i5-8400/GeForce_RTX_2060/0NX137lu/16/100/

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

by.a.teammate posted:

Oculus tray tool gives easy access to different HUDs that you can see in VR, one of which is a performance hud showing your frame rate, frame time, and available headroom.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Great suggestions here, but do you want to relive playing counterstrike in 2000 with tons of maybe lovely maybe not shotty mods and maps flying around and a mostly people kinda screwing around? Pavlov is your poo poo. It's done a good job scratching an itch I didn't realize I had.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I won't post it here because it was a video in Spanish, but a youtuber was saying the horizontal FOV in Quest 2 is 98º in IPD setting 1 and 2... and 87º in setting 3.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Hyperlynx posted:

I loved Submautica in VR, but I never played it flat so idk.

The controls were unplayable for me. I probably just needed to spend some time working through them to make it work.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I just said gently caress it and emptied my gaming PC fund I've been very slowly building up for the past three years and put it towards a quest 2 instead. I'm mostly looking forward to using it to watch 3D movies in huge-o-vision but games are probably gonna be fun too I guess!

Only other VR experience I have is playing around with the DK2 and the Vive both for a weekend each (oh and uh Dactyl Nightmare/Pac Man VR when I was like six I guess) and I figure stuff that's running directly off the headset isn't gonna match Vive games in terms of fidelity but also that was like four years ago so idk maybe I shouldn't be tempering my expectations that much? Either way I'm psyched

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Pretty good posted:

I'm mostly looking forward to using it to watch 3D movies in huge-o-vision

Maybe I haven't found the right video yet, but this was a huge letdown to me. I much prefer watching a movie on my tablet over a VR headset.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Nocheez posted:

Maybe I haven't found the right video yet, but this was a huge letdown to me. I much prefer watching a movie on my tablet over a VR headset.

3D SBS movies are great in VR... it's like watching a movie in the theater with 3D glasses yet without the discomfort or dimming that the 3D glasses have.

Maybe check to see if it's shot in real stereoscopic, or done in post: https://realorfake3d.com/

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Zero VGS posted:

3D SBS movies are great in VR... it's like watching a movie in the theater with 3D glasses yet without the discomfort or dimming that the 3D glasses have.

Maybe check to see if it's shot in real stereoscopic, or done in post: https://realorfake3d.com/

It may be the software, too. The media player in SteamVR leaves a lot to be desired.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Zaphod42 posted:

Its probably a straight up Rift vs Index / VIVE issue. From what I've seen everybody on the former is not having the same issue.

Also potentially an Origin vs Steam issue.

Nah, i'm on a rift cv1 and i'm having the same issue. Have to turn it to run at half the frame rate and use reprojection forced to get it to not looks stuttery and weird, and other people I know with rifts are having the same issue.

I would wager its more down to people not really recognizing the issue or being bothered by it, since the head movements in the cockpit still look fine.

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

Thirding Moss, it's a fairly traditional action/puzzle platformer with some super cute interactions between you and the eponymous mouse. Also check out Dirt Rally 2.0, get the GOTY version on sale for $15. It's a traditional game with VR support so you'll be looking at a big screen until the race starts. Superhot VR is a lot of fun but it's pretty short, and I haven't gone back to replay it. Get it on sale.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
I've still got Dirt Rally 2 in my cart, but maaaaan, it's a hundred gigabytes for a game I'm gonna play twice and go "yyyeah, I'm no Colin McRae"

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Tom Guycot posted:

I would wager its more down to people not really recognizing the issue or being bothered by it, since the head movements in the cockpit still look fine.

Maybe I'm confused then, I thought the issue was it being all stuttery when you look around?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Foo Diddley posted:

I've still got Dirt Rally 2 in my cart, but maaaaan, it's a hundred gigabytes for a game I'm gonna play twice and go "yyyeah, I'm no Colin McRae"

Yeah it’s a huge game. Downloading it right now myself

For whatever it’s worth I bought the original Dirt Rally for cheap with the expectation I would play it for 30 minutes and ended up dumping probably 40 hours into it.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I just started racing with people online. It's quite fun!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I’m not even a big racing guy but there is something about rally racing in VR that is very fun. It’s so much more fun going over jumps and racing up the side of a mountain vs going in circles.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

veni veni veni posted:

I’m not even a big racing guy but there is something about rally racing in VR that is very fun. It’s so much more fun going over jumps and racing up the side of a mountain vs going in circles.

Fine, gently caress it, it's only $15. Speaking of going in circles, tho, I wish someone besides iRacing would do a good oval racing sim. NR2003 was so much fun

e: oh it's actually 110 GB, great

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

by.a.teammate posted:

If you're on SteamVR just open the steam settings, go to developer, and look at "Frame timing graph"

veni veni veni posted:

Stage Rally is also pretty chill in that its just you yourself racing the stage trying to get a good time. You can compete with other people for the best time but you're not in the same session as them so they can't see you crash.

Course, there's also Rallycross where you can actually race head to head and people can see you crash so you can have it either way :)

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Oct 5, 2020

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Bad Munki posted:

The controls were unplayable for me. I probably just needed to spend some time working through them to make it work.

Oh, it's not the same controls for both? It didn't support motion controls when I played, only gamepad.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Hyperlynx posted:

Oh, it's not the same controls for both? It didn't support motion controls when I played, only gamepad.

What I didn't like about the controls was trying to catch a fish with a combination of gamepad and my face. You know, instead of just reaching out and grabbing the fish. That's not what I bounced off of, though. What I couldn't take is just being in the goddamn ocean, with all this fuckin' ocean poo poo swimming around, just right there with nothing but water between you. I noped right the gently caress out like ten hours before you actually get to anything scary

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah I have watched a couple 3D films in Bigscreen and it was a far more enjoyable experience than shutter glasses etc even allowing for the lower res / screendoor on my Vive.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Zero VGS posted:

Except with a giant headtset strapped to your head instead of 3d glasses lol

My tolerance must be different, and to be fair I'm on an Index...but I would never just sit back and watch a movie with this drat thing on my head. With games you experience things in a completely novel way, but a 3d movie isn't enough reason to put up with the vr tax to me.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Zero VGS posted:

How do you watch these on pc?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Inacio posted:

Oh, I've only watched them in VR. To watch a 3D movie on PC you'd have to have active 3D glasses (liquid crystal lens shutters that flicker rapidly).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Inacio posted:

VLC can display 3D movies and so can other DVD players but they don't have VR support AFAIK.

There's a bunch of programs out there built for VR to display 3D movies, most are paid but cheap. Others are free but then they want to charge you to buy movies from their marketplace so screw that.

Zero VGS posted:

Oh, I've only watched them in VR. To watch a 3D movie on PC you'd have to have active 3D glasses (liquid crystal lens shutters that flicker rapidly).

I think they're asking about VR but just which app.