Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It’s online and you can read it easily.

It’s.....ok. Definitely a Jack Black vehicle.

That said, it suffers the same as any GL origin script in that the origin is boring. Or at least as boring as most origin stories can be.

Any new GL property should go the Guardians of the Galaxy route and just roll with the weirdness. Abandon the Earth locations and get with the constructs/saving the day in space stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Dune release date pushed back to Oct 1, 2021.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

That's long enough to save up for an 80-100" tv I guess, because RIP theaters.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
QLED time.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

muscles like this! posted:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Is there anything to look forward to for the rest of the year besides VOD releases of Possessor and maybe Tenet considering I'm not setting foot in a theater (and maybe no one else is either)?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

With Dune pushing back I'd guess that every other pending theatrical release is going to either delay or just drop on home release.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Guess we all got D U N Ced on. :(

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Rageaholic posted:

Is there anything to look forward to for the rest of the year besides VOD releases of Possessor and maybe Tenet considering I'm not setting foot in a theater (and maybe no one else is either)?

Wonder Woman, but if it doesn't get delayed I'd be shocked.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Depending on your tastes:

Zemeckis' The Witches drops on HBO Max this month
Pixar's Soul still scheduled to release theatrically in November
Wonder Woman in theaters on Christmas

Slimmer chances that you are interested in Branagh's Death on the Nile, Ryan Reynolds in Free Guy, the Coming 2 America sequel, or the new Woody Allen movie that all of the actors donated their salaries from out of self-disgust. Also Ryan Murphy is doing an adaptation of the delightful Broadway show The Prom for Netflix which I'm sure will be insufferable.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Thwomp posted:

It’s online and you can read it easily.

It’s.....ok. Definitely a Jack Black vehicle.

That said, it suffers the same as any GL origin script in that the origin is boring. Or at least as boring as most origin stories can be.

Any new GL property should go the Guardians of the Galaxy route and just roll with the weirdness. Abandon the Earth locations and get with the constructs/saving the day in space stuff.

If we're going to resurrect a dead script for a super hero movie, it's going to be Nick Cave's Gladiator script. We'll change Maximus to Ares and make it a Marvel movie.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

If we're going to resurrect a dead script for a super hero movie, it's going to be Nick Cave's Gladiator script. We'll change Maximus to Ares and make it a Marvel movie.

As long as it still ends in one of the Pentagon's bathrooms.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

If we're going to resurrect a dead script for a super hero movie, it's going to be Nick Cave's Gladiator script. We'll change Maximus to

Kratos, based on the ending of the first game.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Jesus Christ talk about perverse incentives. By the time the studios and the theaters get their poo poo together no one will even remember why they wanted to go to a loving cinema.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I still haven't gotten an email or anything about my Regal Unlimited subscription and they're still planning on charging me on October 13.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Ror posted:

or the new Woody Allen movie that all of the actors donated their salaries from out of self-disgust.

Aren't they several years too late on this? Or did something new come up?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

IUG posted:

Aren't they several years too late on this? Or did something new come up?

It filmed in September of 2017 and in October all the Weinstein stuff broke and #MeToo was in full swing. This is the one that got pushed back because of all the bad buzz. All of the actors should have known better at the time anyway, but they pretty much looked at things and said "oops" in union. And I think a few people defended Woody Allen as is tradition.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Ror posted:

It filmed in September of 2017 and in October all the Weinstein stuff broke and #MeToo was in full swing. This is the one that got pushed back because of all the bad buzz. All of the actors should have known better at the time anyway, but they pretty much looked at things and said "oops" in union. And I think a few people defended Woody Allen as is tradition.

Including Scarlett Johansson, I think, due to her determination to be on the wrong side of every issue

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MORE DELAYS

The Batman: previous 10/1/21 now 3/4/22

The Flash: previous 6/3/22 now 11/4/22

Shazam 2: previous 11/4/22 now 6/2/23

Black Adam: previous 12/22/21 now removed from schedule

Minecraft: previous 3/3/22 now removed from schedule

Matrix 4: moved up from 4/1/22 to 12/22/21

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

...huh.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Wha? Why even announce something this far out?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

MORE DELAYS

The Batman: previous 10/1/21 now 3/4/22

The Flash: previous 6/3/22 now 11/4/22

Black Adam: previous 12/22/21 now removed from schedule

Minecraft: previous 3/3/22 now removed from schedule

DorianGravy posted:

The really funny thing is that they also announced two other dates for movies that are still under wraps. Staking claims for releases years in advance is just a thing that happens now.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

DorianGravy posted:

It makes the date real estate for the studio. If you claim a date for a big blockbuster, it makes other studios less likely to pick that date for THEIR blockbuster.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

MORE DELAYS

I think you mean "kazaam 2"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Grendels Dad posted:

The main problem was that Hal Jordan in that movie is a tremendous rear end in a top hat who never learns and never receives any comeuppance for being such a massive douchebag. It's been years since I've seen it but it's still seared in my brain that he screws up a test flight due to overconfidence/trauma/daddy issues, costs a bunch of people their jobs and when two of them are out to confront him later he mouths off about it. He first uses his power ring to floor these guys he directly sent into unemployment. He then crashes his nephew's birthday party to whine about it. And so on.

The movie would be good if it acknowledged Hal being an entitled gently caress-up. Instead it's about how he has to overcome fear, or some poo poo.

This is basically accurate to comics Hal Jordan and I wonder how much you can blame on Geoff Johns. He never could get enough of the bland white guys he grew up with.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So uh, Dune 2 is definitely not going to happen right? :(

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

So uh, Dune 2 is definitely not going to happen right? :(

They should shoot it back to back. If they are going to lose money, might as well go big.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This is basically accurate to comics Hal Jordan and I wonder how much you can blame on Geoff Johns. He never could get enough of the bland white guys he grew up with.

When I was a kid Hal was always a boring old guy with grey temples. He would have the occasional spat with the Guardians but Hal was ultimately the conservative older guy to Ollie’s ideal liberal. After he got replaced by Kyle Rayner the Hal fans all of a sudden declared that Hal was a cool rebel who played by his own rules and had sex with a lot of chicks and that’s the characterization that ended up sticking once Johns started writing him.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Hal was a rebel against age of consent laws too, but I'm afraid too many Hal fans consider that a point in his favor.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Give us Green Knight you cowards

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

CopywrightMMXI posted:

When I was a kid Hal was always a boring old guy with grey temples. He would have the occasional spat with the Guardians but Hal was ultimately the conservative older guy to Ollie’s ideal liberal. After he got replaced by Kyle Rayner the Hal fans all of a sudden declared that Hal was a cool rebel who played by his own rules and had sex with a lot of chicks and that’s the characterization that ended up sticking once Johns started writing him.

The only time Hal Jordan was cool was when he went nuts and became Parallax. Otherwise he's the worst Green Lantern and a shinning example that Geoff Johns has no loving taste.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

joylessdivision posted:

The only time Hal Jordan was cool was when he went nuts and became Parallax. Otherwise he's the worst Green Lantern and a shinning example that Geoff Johns has no loving taste.

Oh I’m not disagreeing with you at all. Rebirth Hal is a fan-fic Poochie.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Oh I’m not disagreeing with you at all. Rebirth Hal is a fan-fic Poochie.

Oh god I read part of that one.

Okay correction to my previous statement. The other best Hal Jordan scene is in All-star Batman and Robin. That book is a dumpster fire of Frank Miller being post 9/11 Miller, but the bit with Jordan is legit pretty funny.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

married but discreet posted:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Oh yeah, that would be nice.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Should I expect AMC and Regal to be gobbled up by Amazon before the end of the year, then?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

QuoProQuid posted:

Should I expect AMC and Regal to be gobbled up by Amazon before the end of the year, then?

Probably only one of them, and maybe not in this year, but since all of this isn’t going to lighten up for a ways into next year, at some point in 2021 would be my guess.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
One of them will be bought by disney.. once the time is right

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
One chain is going to be bought by Netflix who will burn too much cash to do the deal, and will immediately learn they have no idea how to run a theater chain, and tank it. Netflix won't be able to ride it out and it will finally burst their VC bubble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Will the Amazon theaters have Prime like you can just walk into an empty theater on a Tuesday at 3AM and watch whatever the gently caress lol