Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
Pen15 was so good but a 7 ep season felt painfully short. It was really well paced and a perfect arc but i just need more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

I hope that Nazi gently caress Dan Crenshaw was in Iraq at the time of Borat 1 and missed the craze entirely so he's the politician they mentioned that's gonna be in the movie.

It would be hilarious if it's Pence himself.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Borrowed Ladder posted:

Pen15 was so good but a 7 ep season felt painfully short. It was really well paced and a perfect arc but i just need more.

The last episode of the season hit so close to home on more than one level, the writing is so loving on point.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Borrowed Ladder posted:

That was the first half of a 14 episode run, no clue when the rest will drop

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

honestly, I kind of feel like it's been long enough that most people have forgotten about Borat, and even if they encountered Borat they might not realize it's the same dude from the movie.

SBC has also gotten fourteen years older, so even though he's wearing the same costume you wouldn't be able to immediately pin him as the same guy.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
AMC+ has launched, and it’s probably going to eat the lunch of Shudder.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've forgotten to cancel shudder for like 3 months in a row. Mediocre service. Usually their shudder original branded stuff ranges from good to watchable, and there's a handful of solid titles but unless you are really into campy stuff it's real easy to have nothing to watch and the new content seems to trickle out so slowly it's practically the same catalog as the last time I canceled a year ago.

E: Huh. What do you mean "eat the lunch"? it appears shudder is included with it.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

AMC owns Shudder

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm gonna guess that they mean it'll be a DC Universe/HBO Max situation where Shudder gets, uh, shuttered, and all its content gets absorbed into the larger corporate entity product.

I want to like Shudder, I really do. But their selection is just way too stagnant and limited. I really appreciate some of their original stuff and acquisitions, but their back catalogue should be way, way stronger for what their niche is.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Oct 3, 2020

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

I want to like Shudder, I really do. But their selection is just way too stagnant and limited. I really appreciate some of their original stuff and acquisitions, but their back catalogue should be way, way stronger for what their niche is.
I had only subbed before for Blood Machines and One Cut off the Dead, but I'm gonna try to check out these this month:
one dark night
Noroi: The Curse (2005)
the beyond
henry portrait of a serial killer
Dead and buried
maniac cop
black christmas (1974)
tetsuo the iron man
the changeling
color out of space

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Color Out of Space is kind of a slow burn but it is loving dooooope

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cursed films is a decent watch

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Fade to Black is great

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Has anyone watched the Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous show? I know it's a kids show, but Jurassic Park is one of my favorite movies, so I was hoping it might be good. I'm two episodes in, and so far the characters are annoying and act really entitled. Despite being brought to a cool island with dinosaurs, they constantly just do whatever they want. I feel like I'm watching all the non-main-character kids from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

I did think it was funny that Jurassic World uses an escape-from-dinosaurs video game to select kids for their camp (Last Starfighter style). Escaping from dinosaurs seems like a good skill for anyone on this island to have.

Edit: Watched some more. The show got a bit better. Still not great, but alright.

DorianGravy fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Oct 4, 2020

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

3 eps in on Monsterland on Hulu. Not sure how I feel about it but I will say Ep 3 was very good.

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
Wow, definitely not prepared for how charming Ted Lasso was.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tim Whatley posted:

3 eps in on Monsterland on Hulu. Not sure how I feel about it but I will say Ep 3 was very good.

I’ve only watched the first episode but I really liked it. It was pretty bizarre, but I found it engaging and the production values feel very good. I’m always down for an anthology series that doesn’t feel like it was made by film students.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

thatfuturekid posted:

Wow, definitely not prepared for how charming Ted Lasso was.

Yeah? I literally just saw a friend on facebook talking about how he cried at the season finale. I don't have Apple +. Are there enough shows yet to warrant subscribing?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Nihonniboku posted:

Yeah? I literally just saw a friend on facebook talking about how he cried at the season finale. I don't have Apple +. Are there enough shows yet to warrant subscribing?

It's 5 bucks a month. You could easily burn through their good stuff in a month.

Rorobb
Aug 17, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

It's 5 bucks a month. You could easily burn through their good stuff in a month.

What else is worth watching on it?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Rorobb posted:

What else is worth watching on it?

For All Mankind, Dickenson

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Anyone here watch Woke? I came away from the first episode with such mixed feelings regarding its messaging and I'm not sure it's intentional.

The inciting incident was really well done, and pretty heart stopping, but the penultimate scene was so absurd it almost seemed to be arguing against being socially conscious?

Curious if it starts to form a cohesive message later on.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

withak posted:

For All Mankind, Dickenson

And Mythic Quest, and Long Way Up (so far). I was also pleasantly surprised by The Morning Show.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Famethrowa posted:

Anyone here watch Woke? I came away from the first episode with such mixed feelings regarding its messaging and I'm not sure it's intentional.

The inciting incident was really well done, and pretty heart stopping, but the penultimate scene was so absurd it almost seemed to be arguing against being socially conscious?

Curious if it starts to form a cohesive message later on.

I watched the whole thing. It's not terrible but it's kind of all over the place. The cast is pretty enjoyable, some of the jokes are good and I even found the overall story ok. It's just constantly bouncing around between corny romcom, adult swim absurdity, and trying to make a statement in a way that none of those things land.

The worst part about it was the idea that his utterly terrible comic was popular in the first place. The stuff they show is like, significantly worse than the worst of Garfield.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

I watched the whole thing. It's not terrible but it's kind of all over the place. The cast is pretty enjoyable, some of the jokes are good and I even found the overall story ok. It's just constantly bouncing around between corny romcom, adult swim absurdity, and trying to make a statement in a way that none of those things land.

The worst part about it was the idea that his utterly terrible comic was popular in the first place. The stuff they show is like, significantly worse than the worst of Garfield.

Sounds about what I was getting from it. I might continue it just on the strength of the cinematography and color palette. It's absolutely gorgeous and makes me want to spend a week in pre-covid NY.

I get the feeling the terrible comic is very intentional from what I know about the writer of the show. Keith Knight is a very talented artist IRL who does political cartoons, often about police brutality. Having the pre-woke Keef draw a lovely sub-Garfield and selling out to white people who love it.... is pretty loving funny.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

I'm watching Enola Holmes and I like it so far but I really want Mycroft to die horribly at some point.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Famethrowa posted:

I get the feeling the terrible comic is very intentional from what I know about the writer of the show. Keith Knight is a very talented artist IRL who does political cartoons, often about police brutality. Having the pre-woke Keef draw a lovely sub-Garfield and selling out to white people who love it.... is pretty loving funny.

For sure the comic is intentionally bad, but it's portrayed as something that a bunch of comic book nerds are all into when it would have been more believable if it was something that was syndicated in a print newspaper that boomers passively like. They have people hooting and hollering and dressing up for it at comic con and it's basically Family Circus tier.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

For sure the comic is intentionally bad, but it's portrayed as something that a bunch of comic book nerds are all into when it would have been more believable if it was something that was syndicated in a print newspaper that boomers passively like. They have people hooting and hollering and dressing up for it at comic con and it's basically Family Circus tier.

I dunno man, that sounds like a pretty loving funny clown on white people stereotypes.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I know it's super not new or whatever but I've been rewatching Haunting of Hill House all day since the new one is coming this week and boy does it remain a master class in horror, featuring one of the few actually earned jumpscares I've experienced in episode 8. If you've been sleeping on it somehow still or just are like me and haven't watched it since it dropped and are excited for the new one, total prime October binge.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

sexpig by night posted:

I know it's super not new or whatever but I've been rewatching Haunting of Hill House all day since the new one is coming this week and boy does it remain a master class in horror, featuring one of the few actually earned jumpscares I've experienced in episode 8. If you've been sleeping on it somehow still or just are like me and haven't watched it since it dropped and are excited for the new one, total prime October binge.

The writer also posted a bunch of unofficial stories about the various ghosts (spoiler: show has ghosts) on reddit that were a fun read.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

sexpig by night posted:

I think this series and Hereditary are some of the only shows/movies I’ve seen that explored grief in a way that felt genuinely powerful and horrifying and not just with lame metaphors.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Fallom posted:

I think this series and Hereditary are some of the only shows/movies I’ve seen that explored grief in a way that felt genuinely powerful and horrifying and not just with lame metaphors.

yea for some reason despite being a cliche concept on paper, 'GET IT, THE GHOSTS IN THIS GHOST STORY ARE METAPHORS FOR GRIEF AND TRAUMA' seems hard to pull off because so many just want to fill it with shrieking banshees or whatever. Using the dread just inherent in 'this is a broken family who never got over multiple horrible traumas and now has to face them' is all you need to make the ghosts spooky scary!

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Fallom posted:

Speaking of this I watched Nightingale blind last night because I saw it on Shudder. It's not a horror movie at all and I really should have read about it before watching. I thought it was a really good movie but gently caress I needed a hug after that.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Starks posted:

Speaking of this I watched Nightingale blind last night because I saw it on Shudder. It's not a horror movie at all and I really should have read about it before watching. I thought it was a really good movie but gently caress I needed a hug after that.

Nightingale is fantastic. Jennifer Kent is cemented in my list of “will watch anything they direct” directors after that and The Babadook.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Netflix just canceled the planned 4th and final season of GLOW. Disappointing, but I get why they wouldn't wait around for who knows how long to do one more season. There's probably a lot more of these cancellations in the pipeline, I assume.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

wizardofloneliness posted:

Netflix just canceled the planned 4th and final season of GLOW. Disappointing, but I get why they wouldn't wait around for who knows how long to do one more season. There's probably a lot more of these cancellations in the pipeline, I assume.

Jesus loving Christ that one hurts!

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Haunting of Hill House is my favorite Netflix series, period, but I might be mildly obsessed. It felt so different from any other horror anything I’ve seen. Obviously I’m a bit anxious for Bly Manor.

Schitt’s Creek S6 is finally on netflix, in case nobody else mentioned it. Totally holds up with the rest of the seasons, but you probably knew that.

Raised By Wolves finale was at least as weird as the weirdest thing in the show so far. Yay.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

wizardofloneliness posted:

I couldn't make it through the third one, the season 2 finale actually had a nice wrap-up to it all. Still sucks to hear, especially when IIRC this was one of those shows where they planned out the number of seasons to avoid it getting stale.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
GLOW turned into a drama with occasional humorous bits in the third season; I’m not all that sad about missing out on S4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

david_a posted:

GLOW turned into a drama with occasional humorous bits in the third season; I’m not all that sad about missing out on S4.

Yup. S3 was not good.