Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

The blue guatemalan bag with the bird on it is nice. Medium roast if you don't like dark roasts. For the grinder pick up a burr grinder. I got a still in the box used OXO Conical Burr grinder from eBay for about $50 and am very happy with it. It's the budget pick from wirecutter and normally sells for $100 and is worth that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Someone told me the darker the roast, the less caffeine it has?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
That’s correct.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Yes, caffeine is fairly volatile and burns out.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Cyrano4747 posted:

The grey Kirkland cougar coffee. It’s great.

From my pantry:

I've gone through most of the Costco whole bean coffees (cold brew). I am going through that one now, and I'm not a fan. The only Costco coffee I've had that I've actually liked has one from a regional (chicago) roaster, two brothers. But that was a lot more expensive than most there, like $9/lb.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Cyrano4747 posted:

The grey Kirkland cougar coffee. It’s great.

From my pantry:

They have this in cold brew and it’s loving amazing and if they ever stop stocking it I will be pissed.

Got 12 cans for like 13 or so, they’re a bit bigger than your typical cold brew can, strong (235 mg caffeine), and best of all, literally just water and coffee. Tastes fantastic and was like a miracle cause I had been wondering lately why there wasn’t a good cheap canned cold brew brand, it’s all expensive and loaded with cream and or sugar.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

gvibes posted:

I've gone through most of the Costco whole bean coffees (cold brew). I am going through that one now, and I'm not a fan. The only Costco coffee I've had that I've actually liked has one from a regional (chicago) roaster, two brothers. But that was a lot more expensive than most there, like $9/lb.

Hah, I think the Two Brothers coffee (the one or two types I've had) was real mediocre, but it's been so long that I should give it another shot.

I don't think they stock it regularly but I got some Cameron's Coffee from them once that was like $9 for 2lbs and really liked it.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

norp posted:

I got this one a while back to put through my espresso machine (Breville barista express). It was awful, it's such a dark roast and just not great at all.
It might be ok with other preparations.

There was an Italian one in an orange bag that was great but they only stocked it here for like a week.

Currently have this one, it's ok but nothing special.

EXpresso eh?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
No cougar coffee at my store. Ended up getting this. Reviews online seem favorable. Will report results.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
That is probably my favorite of the non-regional stuff

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Someone isn't into xtreme coffee it seems.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
Going to church tomorrow. Will have a 13 hour drive in about 2 weeks. Any suggestions for newish road snacks (haven’t been doing 1 hour, every-aisle trips since Covid)? Wife doesn’t eat jerky.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Some of the keto snacks are alright. Basically balls of almond flour and peanured Ulla. Jumbo pork rinds but you'll need water or something to wash them down with.

Peanut health bars or Kirkland protein bars? Though too much protein might make the rest stops pretty bad.

I'd grab a box of the croissants and a pack of redbulls.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
Last time I was there, they had these little soft pretzel balls at the end of the bread aisle. I didn't get them because I could see them getting polished off in traffic on the short, 2.5 mile trip home. They're in like a little plastic salad bowl with a clear film cover.

Our road trips get Kirkland trail mix 100% of the time, and usually some jerky. The one thing we pick up on the road are Combos. As far as I'm concerned, they only sell Combos along interstate highways.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Went to church yesterday; the combination pizza has been eliminated from the menu at the food court in exchange for a 50% price increased 불고기 pizza (12,500₩ vs 19,000₩) and they have a new seasonal milk flavored ice cream for 2500₩. My wife likes both, I'm disappointed in the slow regionalization occuring. Also they only had blueberry bagels in stock and they raised the price of the 900g block of sharp chedder from 9,900₩ to 11,900₩. Sad times.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
The bulgogi pizza sounds pretty legit though, any pics?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Cyrano4747 posted:

And the in-store grinders are nice

Edit: I mean the one they have up front to let you grind your poo poo before you leave. Dunno about the ones they sell.

Grinding your coffee at the store is ruining it. Buy a whirlybird at least. They are like 10 bucks and grinding right before brewing is one of the biggest steps up in quality you can take. Buying from a local roaster is the next.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

therobit posted:

Grinding your coffee at the store is ruining it. Buy a whirlybird at least. They are like 10 bucks and grinding right before brewing is one of the biggest steps up in quality you can take. Buying from a local roaster is the next.

Grinding right before you brew, controlling grind size, THEN freshness of roast.
A whirlybird grinder makes a really uneven grind that you will struggle to make consistent. A burr grinder makes a huge difference and cheap (manual) models are out there.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Bought the kirkland 5ply cookware set. Feels really solid so far, a huge jump up from the Ikea ones I had with plastic handles. Not sure how much I'll use the stainless skillets since stuff of course sticks to them like glue.

Less than ideal oven safe temps (380 f) but I can probably just extend the cooking time of a recipe that calls for a stovetop to oven move.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

FilthyImp posted:

Some of the keto snacks are alright. Basically balls of almond flour and peanured Ulla.

What are these called?

FilthyImp posted:

Jumbo pork rinds but you'll need water or something to wash them down with.

If these are the 4505 ones my store said they stopped carrying them. Might just be my store though.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

The parmesan cheese chips are extremely good and also extremely dangerous. You'll devour the whole bag before you realize it. Always a smash hit when I bring them to parties though

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Original_Z posted:

The bulgogi pizza sounds pretty legit though, any pics?

Here's a pic of it. That gold paste around the edge is Korean fav topping mashed sweet potato. In all of Korea costco has the best quantity to price ratio for a western style pizza (a pepperoni pizza from dominoes is half the size and twice the price), and the best quality outside of major cities. But now the only option is a cheese pizza.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

therobit posted:

The Covid actually pushed me into that. The local costco took out their grinder for a bit (I dunno if it's back, a lot of their other stuff is though so maybe?) so I ended up grabbing a cheap little grinder off amazon.

I'm sure it's awful. I grew up around enough coffee snobs to understand that the grind is probably hosed up and that it's all kinds of sub optimal.

But yeah, still better than having it ground in the store. Good enough to put in my drip pot and enjoy in the morning.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

The North Tower posted:

Going to church tomorrow. Will have a 13 hour drive in about 2 weeks. Any suggestions for newish road snacks (haven’t been doing 1 hour, every-aisle trips since Covid)? Wife doesn’t eat jerky.

Perfect. Jerky it is.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Chinatown posted:

Anyone got coffee bean recommendations for Costco? How's the grinders?

This is my go-to for drip coffee. It's excellent.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

Cyrano4747 posted:

The Covid actually pushed me into that. The local costco took out their grinder for a bit (I dunno if it's back, a lot of their other stuff is though so maybe?) so I ended up grabbing a cheap little grinder off amazon.

I'm sure it's awful. I grew up around enough coffee snobs to understand that the grind is probably hosed up and that it's all kinds of sub optimal.

But yeah, still better than having it ground in the store. Good enough to put in my drip pot and enjoy in the morning.

If I have to use a blade grinder I shake it while grinding, as it's the poor man's way to even out the grind.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

norp posted:

Grinding right before you brew, controlling grind size, THEN freshness of roast.
A whirlybird grinder makes a really uneven grind that you will struggle to make consistent. A burr grinder makes a huge difference and cheap (manual) models are out there.

Well yeah but if you want a consistent grind you actually need a rather expensive burr grinder and most people balk at that. Cyrano is buying Kirkland coffee so I don't think he's spending a hundred bucks or whatever on a remanufactured Baratza. Also I'd suggest that since Starbucks for instance considers the coffee fresh enough to sell until the 6 month mark, buying from a roastery is probably still a bigger step up un quality when you are talking this week vs 6 months old from a large commercial operation.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I buy the giant tubs of Foldgers from Costco and drink that instead.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

FCKGW posted:

I buy the giant tubs of Foldgers from Costco and drink that instead.

This is a Maxwell House house thank you very much.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I'm old.enough to remember the old "Choc Full o Nuts" jingle, and internalize that it must be serious gourmet poo poo. When I bought it as an adult, I spit-taked the swill.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

GORDON posted:

I'm old.enough to remember the old "Choc Full o Nuts" jingle, and internalize that it must be serious gourmet poo poo. When I bought it as an adult, I spit-taked the swill.

So what you're saying is that the nut content made you spit instead of swallow?

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Cyrano4747 posted:

So what you're saying is that the nut content made you spit instead of swallow?

That is exactly right. You don't say much, but when you do it's insightful and to the point, and i salute you for it.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i tried to stick to folgers for a long time to save cash but now I've fully transitioned to grocery store bulk bins and it's always delicious. i tried to go back to folgers and I've altered my tastes enough that I don't like it anymore

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
Cheap coffee brewed wicked strong in a percolator has its charms. But brewed regularly, it sucks.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Mr Coffee makes a $30-40 burr grinder that works great, and they loving replaced it under warranty when the fine ground started choking up, which blew my mind.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

My Cuisinart coffee maker has a built in burr grinder that works pretty dang great, and my sis-in-law works for a large regional coffee roaster so we get premium stuff for $4/lb. Welp thanks for reading!

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Cyrano4747 posted:

I have a manual burr grinder that I save for special occasions when I want to treat myself to a cup of Aeropress coffee, but 99% of the time, I just throw it in the cheapo blade grinder and throw it in the french press. Still makes a drat good cup of coffee.

I usually splurge on local roaster stuff, but I saw this at Costco and I couldn't pass it up for the price.

AuroMarshmallow
Jan 21, 2007

If theres anything a werewolf hates, it's a vampire- especially dumbass vampires

Chinatown posted:

No cougar coffee at my store. Ended up getting this. Reviews online seem favorable. Will report results.

This has been my coffee of choice for years and I wholeheartedly recommend it. I actually have to get back to church to pick up more while it's on sale.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Enos Cabell posted:

My Cuisinart coffee maker has a built in burr grinder that works pretty dang great, and my sis-in-law works for a large regional coffee roaster so we get premium stuff for $4/lb. Welp thanks for reading!

Yah I have a breville with the grinder and it owns. I probably do need to give it a good clean out tho :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

The Midniter posted:

This is my go-to for drip coffee. It's excellent.

Funny, I thought this was hot garbage.

At this point I pretty much only get Kicking Horse Coffee, but alas, it is not at the 'co.