Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

COVID hasn't hit that hard here, wish they'd release it where cinemas are open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It would be a financial disaster in the cinemas. I wish they would release it for streaming and then do a cinema release whenever.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

bawfuls posted:

good, hopefully that means we can see it on the big screen as it should be seen without having to haz mat suite it up

But that was our excuse to Sardaukar cosplay.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Judakel posted:

Airlines get bailouts. Entertainment doesn't.

You're right. They get buyouts.

Watch Steve Cohen buy AMC just because.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

FUUCCKKKK

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

well why not posted:

If they release it anywhere months before the US it will kill any significant US release.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Am I correctly assuming they didn't film the first and second parts concurrently?

Releasing half a book as a movie is always risky, but this might be the first franchise to do that with the first book. (Unless you count The Hobbit.)

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

I prefer this than the 'risk death to see our movie' model they were running with. But the reality as it is today: movie theaters are a thing of the past. Refusing to release this on streaming now will bite them in the rear end.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

G-III posted:

I prefer this than the 'risk death to see our movie' model they were running with. But the reality as it is today: movie theaters are a thing of the past. Refusing to release this on streaming now will bite them in the rear end.

They probably saw what happened with Tenet forcing its way into theaters and thought "good thing that wasn't us"

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

G-III posted:

Why will it bite them in the rear end? If theaters are dying, their death will be even more clear a year from now. Why would they make less money releasing it on streaming at that point than they would right now?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

bawfuls posted:

Why would they make less money releasing it on streaming at that point than they would right now?

Less competition right now I expect, outside of sport there's barely anything on to watch and large chunks of the world are on lockdown again.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I don't really see how that follows. Why will there be more streaming competition a year from now, if things are still bad enough that movie theaters are dead? If they can't operate movie theaters a year from now they also won't be able to operate movie and tv studios to produce more streaming content.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

bawfuls posted:

I don't really see how that follows. Why will there be more streaming competition a year from now, if things are still bad enough that movie theaters are dead? If they can't operate movie theaters a year from now they also won't be able to operate movie and tv studios to produce more streaming content.

Have you seen all of the movies that have been pushed back? There's a lot.

And more content will continue to get made - there's a huge difference between being on a set where you have people testing regularly and making sure everyone is following guidelines and being in a sealed room in where anyone can come in regardless of if they're sick or not with mask rules being enforced by some high schooler being paid minimum wage.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

C-Euro posted:

They probably saw what happened with Tenet forcing its way into theaters and thought "good thing that wasn't us"

Tenet is going to be in theaters for like a year though. It will make its money back and then some.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
Very upset to have to wait almost an entire year to see this. God drat the pandemic just keeps getting bleaker and bleaker.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

well why not posted:

People's dismissal of the virus just downright baffles me. Everyone's got some reason why it won't effect them and life should just continue as such. A bunch of high ranking people in the US government just got COVID and still people are saying nonsense like this.

"Please please can I have a big room where a bunch of people can just plop down and sit for a few hours and do nothing but respire? I saw the trailer on my tiny-rear end phone and I can't go back to that."

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

Very upset to have to wait almost an entire year to see this. God drat the pandemic just keeps getting bleaker and bleaker.

I've heard it said that we're "gonna get through this together".

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

phasmid posted:

I've heard it said that we're "gonna get through this together".

we're gonna get through this transition to the afterlife together

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I don't think wellwhynot is saying "no-one I know has it so it's not real", they're saying that the pandemic has ended in their country. How is Trump getting sick relevant to that?

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Krazyface posted:

I don't think wellwhynot is saying "no-one I know has it so it's not real", they're saying that the pandemic has ended in their country. How is Trump getting sick relevant to that?

I didn't know the poster's point of origin, which is why I specified where I'm coming from. I don't know where the lines are where places are "free of COVID" and "not free of COVID". "Pandemic" spells it all out imo.

The reason it makes me mad is that you can't visit dying loved ones in the hospital and I've lost two in the last month. Regardless of what country they live in, it's comparable because we didn't used to have a problem with the virus where I am either. And once enough people had pointed that out, everyone got really carefree and loose about it. Now we have a lot of cases.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
In short, it's just a movie. Please don't risk your or others' health for a couple of hours of entertainment.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Krazyface posted:

I mean in countries where they're not just letting the coronavirus roam free, it's very much in waves- there can be intervals where it's seemingly dormant because everyone's quarantined properly, but can come roaring back if re-opening is done too early. This was the predicted pattern at the start of all this. If an effective vaccine is improved we can start transitioning to a more permanent re-opening but it becomes a question of getting it to as many people as possible.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Just wait 10,000 years and watch the real thing

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

moths posted:

Just wait 10,000 years and watch the real thing

Running a very real risk of reaching our own impending Butlerian Jihad and ending up with no way to watch it though....

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

DandyLion posted:

Running a very real risk of reaching our own impending Butlerian Jihad and ending up with no way to watch it though....

Human civilization circa the year 10,412: "Many awful news updates on SA, much like those on Fark."

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
That just means the return of physical media, we'll watch things on datatapes and filmbooks.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

That just means the return of physical media, we'll watch things on datatapes and filmbooks.

Just like it says in the Orange Catholic Bible, HDDs shall not be replaced.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

yoohoo posted:

Have you seen all of the movies that have been pushed back? There's a lot.

And more content will continue to get made - there's a huge difference between being on a set where you have people testing regularly and making sure everyone is following guidelines and being in a sealed room in where anyone can come in regardless of if they're sick or not with mask rules being enforced by some high schooler being paid minimum wage.
It is my understanding that a lot of production is still shut down, which is why there are all these zoom celebrity table reads and poo poo happening.

Am I mistaken? Are all the studios back up and running full time now?

Cause Hollywood is one industry where very wealthy people have to work in relatively close proximity to the working class. High dollar actors/directors know the grips and production assistants etc are not able to hide from the world and the virus as easily and thus are more at risk of spreading it to them. Thus, studio production did not reopen with outdoor bars and restaurants in LA.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
A friend of mine who does sound on set for various productions (recently a lot of Netflix original stuff) has resumed on-set work at least in NYC.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah when I went googling for answers to that question I found hits about NYC studios reopening. I can't find info on LA from anything more recent than July.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

well why not posted:

It would bomb like Tenet bombed. They can't risk that again.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

phasmid posted:

People's dismissal of the virus just downright baffles me. Everyone's got some reason why it won't effect them and life should just continue as such. A bunch of high ranking people in the US government just got COVID and still people are saying nonsense like this.

There's just not that much COVID here in Sydney. Theaters are open, but sessions are staggered and people are encouraged to wear masks. Ushers are organising the rows so that no one is sitting too close to a stranger. Most bars and restaurants are functioning in some capacity.

phasmid posted:

I didn't know the poster's point of origin, which is why I specified where I'm coming from. I don't know where the lines are where places are "free of COVID" and "not free of COVID". "Pandemic" spells it all out imo.

The reason it makes me mad is that you can't visit dying loved ones in the hospital and I've lost two in the last month. Regardless of what country they live in, it's comparable because we didn't used to have a problem with the virus where I am either. And once enough people had pointed that out, everyone got really carefree and loose about it. Now we have a lot of cases.

I don't know where you are either, i'm guessing the USA. Things are different outside America. Sorry you've had a rough time with COVID.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Vancouver's shooting again with precautions, and that's a hub for a lot of shows and movies.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Vancouver's shooting again with precautions, and that's a hub for a lot of shows and movies.

Yeah, things are relatively normal here in BC albeit with public health regulations and widespread mask usage. Movie theatres are also open and normal, with reduced capacity which is actually really nice. I went to see Empire Strikes Back last week for 5 bucks haha

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Maxwell Lord posted:

Old and busted: delaying Dune one year to avoid a pandemic

New and trusted: delaying Dune one year to finish making Dune Part 2 so you can release a five-hour supercut of both movies.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Judakel posted:

It would bomb like Tenet bombed. They can't risk that again.

lol Tenet is on its way to making its money back

it's gonna be in theaters for like a year. just like titanic except it's actually good

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

just like titanic except it's actually good

This is a good Tenet joke because it’s totally backwards

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Capntastic posted:

This is a good Tenet joke because it’s totally backwards

Yeah but [AnIncredibleJokeRelatingThisToTenantInvolvingTimeTravelI'mTooTiredToThinkofRightNow]

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah but [AnIncredibleJokeRelatingThisToTenantInvolvingTimeTravelI'mTooTiredToThinkofRightNow]

You don’t have to make a coherent post; it’s evocative and will get people talking. Especially since there’s no other posts in theaters. Er, uh,

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
gnitsop ruoy ekil hcuM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Krazyface posted:

gnitsop ruoy ekil hcuM

I’m the only person who’s ever gotten hypothermia from such a weak burn