Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Zaphod42 posted:

I think they're asking about VR but just which app.

I was watching them on GearVR and Quest 1 after that using the built in movie apps. I can't remember if Bigscreen on PC does 3D movies. Virtual Desktop had built-in YouTube VR support I seem to recall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Enos Cabell posted:

Maybe I'm confused then, I thought the issue was it being all stuttery when you look around?

Your head movement looking around is all fine, the issue is with the ship's movement. So for example if you park somewhere with objects in view, where you're guaranteeing its showing a rock steady 80/90/120/144 what have you, and you just yaw your ship back and forth, back and forth, the objects outside your ship will sort of stutter step around because its only rendering all that at 60fps. Its really easy to spot once you notice it, because you can then go back and forth testing it by changing your headsets frame rate to be locked at 60/45/40, and force your headset to reproject every other frame and it will actually look smoother when you alt-tab back into the game and yaw back and forth again.

Anything more than that someone with more knowledge on game engines would have to explain because I don't quite understand the full details of why that would happen myself.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Interesting, thanks for the explanation. I don't think that's happening to me, but I'll have to hop in and look for it. Sounds like an issue that wouldn't show up in a 60fps gameplay video either. Do you need to use something like Tray Tool to change the headset refresh rate? It's locked at 80 in SteamVR for me.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tom Guycot posted:

Your head movement looking around is all fine, the issue is with the ship's movement. So for example if you park somewhere with objects in view, where you're guaranteeing its showing a rock steady 80/90/120/144 what have you, and you just yaw your ship back and forth, back and forth, the objects outside your ship will sort of stutter step around because its only rendering all that at 60fps. Its really easy to spot once you notice it, because you can then go back and forth testing it by changing your headsets frame rate to be locked at 60/45/40, and force your headset to reproject every other frame and it will actually look smoother when you alt-tab back into the game and yaw back and forth again.

Anything more than that someone with more knowledge on game engines would have to explain because I don't quite understand the full details of why that would happen myself.

I have two theories.

One is I can tell you for certain the way this game is developed, your cockpit is actually outside of the battle sitting in its own little space and not moving around. This prevents a lot of possible issues. Then there's a screen that pretends to be the cockpit glass, and it projects the image of whatever a ship model that's flying around inside the real battle would see. Its almost like you're remote-piloting the ship.

Some part of the game engine code is messed up so that even though your local ship is being rendered smoothly, it isn't updating that external camera render to texture, and so you're not getting updates to the outside as much as inside the cockpit. Or something related to how often the ship's physics are being updated.

My other theory was that its rendering the left and right eye with a frame of game step between them, which would cause you to get two different images when making large changes, but have things look mostly fine when flying straight or looking around the cockpit. However, I tried flying around with only one eye open in VR, and it still seems blurry as gently caress. So that seems to confirm it isn't that, but just an issue with the external render camera.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/app/457550/Bigscreen_Beta/
This is what I've used to watch 3d sbs movies in vr, it's worked well enough for me although I wish there was like, a steam workshop for new environments or something. It's free so I can't complain, the online part has worked fine for watching stuff with friends too. Also works for streaming 2d video content together on a big screen.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Foo Diddley posted:

What I didn't like about the controls was trying to catch a fish with a combination of gamepad and my face. You know, instead of just reaching out and grabbing the fish. That's not what I bounced off of, though. What I couldn't take is just being in the goddamn ocean, with all this fuckin' ocean poo poo swimming around, just right there with nothing but water between you. I noped right the gently caress out like ten hours before you actually get to anything scary

The first time I went diving in The Forest was freaking terrifying. I loved Subnautica flat, but I couldn't even get the game to work when I tried in VR. I suppose I can give it a try again, but I also am real turned off by gamepad control in a game like that.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Enos Cabell posted:

Interesting, thanks for the explanation. I don't think that's happening to me, but I'll have to hop in and look for it. Sounds like an issue that wouldn't show up in a 60fps gameplay video either. Do you need to use something like Tray Tool to change the headset refresh rate? It's locked at 80 in SteamVR for me.

Yeah i used tray tool, and then parked in the practice map, turned ASW off in the tool, yawed back and forth, then set it to force 45fps ASW (40 in the case of the S), and alt-tabbed back into the game and yawed. Doing that A B testing back and forth it was immediately apparently how much smoother it looked locked to 45 than running at a solid 90.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Honestly, I was pretty let down at first that there were no motion controls in Subnautica, but you get used to it.

Foo Diddley posted:

What I couldn't take is just being in the goddamn ocean, with all this fuckin' ocean poo poo swimming around, just right there with nothing but water between you. I noped right the gently caress out like ten hours before you actually get to anything scary
Oh, I totally get it. I've had an actual freakout before irl, as a kid, on a boat, on a snorkeling trip. I dropped my snorkel, and watched it sink down down down down down to the bottom of the sea (probably only like ten metres) and, as you say, noped the gently caress out and stayed on the boat the rest of the trip.

There were heaps of moments in Subnautica that induced that kind of panic, but it was kind of cool to be able to tackle it head on, go "no, you've got this, just focus" and deal with it. I got it a lot while looking up at the surface, when I was deep underwater.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Mischievous Mink posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/457550/Bigscreen_Beta/
This is what I've used to watch 3d sbs movies in vr, it's worked well enough for me although I wish there was like, a steam workshop for new environments or something. It's free so I can't complain, the online part has worked fine for watching stuff with friends too. Also works for streaming 2d video content together on a big screen.

This is much more enjoyable, thanks!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Hyperlynx posted:

Oh, it's not the same controls for both? It didn't support motion controls when I played, only gamepad.

Oh. See, I played it on m&kb on flat, and then was trying to use the buttons and sticks on the knuckles when I tried it in VR. That was not good!

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
LA Noire VR popped up for sale on Steam - i know it was nowhere near worth a full-price game but is it ok for 50% off? (i already have the original game)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ROFLBOT posted:

LA Noire VR popped up for sale on Steam - i know it was nowhere near worth a full-price game but is it ok for 50% off? (i already have the original game)

Its mixed IMO. I would say its probably worth it at 50% off. It helps if you're already familiar with the game from 2D a bit, but they did put work into making sure to adapt the game for VR.

Driving feels kinda loose and weird but is still fun? Boxing and Shooting are super fun, and its a shame that the Steam version lacks the PSVR's bonus modes for just boxing or shooting a bunch of things.

Its a pretty polished experience for VR, only so many of those around right now. But ultimately how much money things are worth is tough to judge for other people.

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.
Has anyone else started playing phasmophobia? This being the spooky month, atleast one horror game played is mandatory. It's like playing an asynchronous haunted guess who.

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
captain haggis mcnipplesworthy
Yeah I've played a little bit of phasmophobia. Seems potentially cool, could use a bit more of a tutorial, and having friends to play with helps a lot.

Barnes And Body Works
Mar 2, 2016

:shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom:
:chillout:
HOLY poo poo thank you all for the awesome recommendations I'll be sure to check out all of them!

Ott_ posted:

Thirding Moss, it's a fairly traditional action/puzzle platformer with some super cute interactions between you and the eponymous mouse. Also check out Dirt Rally 2.0, get the GOTY version on sale for $15. It's a traditional game with VR support so you'll be looking at a big screen until the race starts. Superhot VR is a lot of fun but it's pretty short, and I haven't gone back to replay it. Get it on sale.

OOH! Moss was recommended to me by my partner!! I ABSOLUTELY LOVE MICE AND RATS I really want to play that! I'll be sure to check out dirt rally too! I've been looking at Superhot VR for a while and I've wanted to try it out for quite a bit!

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.

Shoefish posted:

Yeah I've played a little bit of phasmophobia. Seems potentially cool, could use a bit more of a tutorial, and having friends to play with helps a lot.

It's definitely an early access game. I think my favorite thing about the game is actually seeing a John Wolfe video pop up, and he's really happy playing a horror game again.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Its mixed IMO. I would say its probably worth it at 50% off. It helps if you're already familiar with the game from 2D a bit, but they did put work into making sure to adapt the game for VR.

Driving feels kinda loose and weird but is still fun? Boxing and Shooting are super fun, and its a shame that the Steam version lacks the PSVR's bonus modes for just boxing or shooting a bunch of things.

Its a pretty polished experience for VR, only so many of those around right now. But ultimately how much money things are worth is tough to judge for other people.

Yeah with the original i did my typical "buy game, complete 20% of it then never touch it again" thing despite really liking it so just maybe i might get back into it in VR. Thanks

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Another piece of the Carmack talk in Horizon, unseen until now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgkoc12x3BE

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm finding Squadrons very disappointing on PSVR. The explosions and effects all turn into 2d sprites which is super immersion breaking. Also I think a Star Wars flight game is kind of a bad candidate for VR since all of the imperial ships have lovely cockpits with a tiny circular FOV that gain absolutely zero benefit from being in VR (There's not even any point to looking around! you can see everything that's visible to you by looking straight ahead).

Gameplay-wise the game feels about par for the course for a PSVR title :thumbsup:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Oct 6, 2020

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ROFLBOT posted:

The controls are god awful VR galaxy brain poo poo that made it pretty much unplayable, and afaik there is no way to map movement or driving to the analog sticks to make it a half way enjoyable experience. The only enjoyment I got out of it was how hilarious the awful melee combat looks with the realistic faces.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I've just been getting stuck into X-Wing Alliance with modernisation and VR mods, and it is EXACTLY what I wanted. It's a bit janky, but I'm ok with that because I'm thoroughly enjoying the gameplay. It really is a modernised X-Wing/TIE fighter.

Thanks for the tip, Tip!

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Hyperlynx posted:

I've just been getting stuck into X-Wing Alliance with modernisation and VR mods, and it is EXACTLY what I wanted. It's a bit janky, but I'm ok with that because I'm thoroughly enjoying the gameplay. It really is a modernised X-Wing/TIE fighter.

Thanks for the tip, Tip!

Are you playing the steam or gog version? I found some old comments that said mods didn't work on the steam version, is that still the case?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Happyimp posted:

Has anyone else started playing phasmophobia? This being the spooky month, atleast one horror game played is mandatory. It's like playing an asynchronous haunted guess who.

What the hell is Phasmaphobia?

Let's see. Steam description:

quote:

Phasmophobia is a 4 player online co-op psychological horror where you and your team members of paranormal investigators will enter haunted locations filled with paranormal activity and gather as much evidence of the paranormal as you can. You will use your ghost hunting equipment to search for and record evidence of whatever ghost is haunting the location to sell onto a ghost removal team.

You can choose to support your team by monitoring the location with CCTV cameras and motion sensors from the safety of the truck or head inside and get your hands dirty with the ghostly activity that will get increasingly hostile as time goes on.

Immersive Experience: Realistic graphics and sounds as well as having minimal user interfaces will ensure a totally immersive experience that will keep you on your toes.
Cross platform: Phasmophobia supports all players whether they have VR or not so can enjoy the game with your VR and non VR friends.
Co-op multiplayer: Play alongside your friends with up to 4 players in this co-op horror where teamwork is key to your success.
Unique Ghosts: Over 10 different types of Ghosts all with unique traits meaning each investigation will be different.
Investigate: Use well known ghost hunting equipment such as EMF Readers, Spirit Boxes, Thermometers and Night Vision Cameras to find clues and gather as much paranormal evidence as you can.
Full Voice Recognition: The Ghosts are listening! Use your actual voice to interact with the Ghosts through Ouija Boards and EVP Sessions using a Spirit Box.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iedWeFMzn8U

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Ott_ posted:

Thirding Moss, it's a fairly traditional action/puzzle platformer with some super cute interactions between you and the eponymous mouse. Also check out Dirt Rally 2.0, get the GOTY version on sale for $15. It's a traditional game with VR support so you'll be looking at a big screen until the race starts. Superhot VR is a lot of fun but it's pretty short, and I haven't gone back to replay it. Get it on sale.

Her name is Quill, not Moss

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Zero VGS posted:

3D SBS movies are great in VR... it's like watching a movie in the theater with 3D glasses yet without the discomfort or dimming that the 3D glasses have.

Maybe check to see if it's shot in real stereoscopic, or done in post: https://realorfake3d.com/

I've got one of the bastards:

And I use it to film gigs a lot, I plop it on stage then watch me and my muso bros in VR, it's kinda cool

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

Her name is Quill, not Moss

zelda is the name of the boy and moss is the name of the mouse

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Jenny Agutter posted:

zelda is the name of the boy and moss is the name of the mouse

At least Quill speaks ASL and can tell you that you are being dumb

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

yelling "jump higher dammit moss!" and it turns around and gives you the finger

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
https://twitter.com/populationonevr/status/1313524426026098688

Quest 1 footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWfo2vQLKTI
Quest 2 footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pS_XCm4MaI

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 6, 2020

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

oh yeah to the person who was asking for VR recommendations: if you have a partner or a co-op gaming friend do pick up Carly and the Reaperman, its one of the best asymmetrical co-op experiences ever and its compatible with steam remote play

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

Happyimp posted:

You ever get that feeling that someone is chasing you when youre walking down a hallway? Thats how phasmophobia is, poo poo rules

marumaru
May 20, 2013

if this isn't f2p it's going to be doa

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Inacio posted:

It's aptly named :v:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Inacio posted:

Yeah, if it's f2p I'll give it a whirl but I'm not spending $30 or w/e to end up holding the bag on this.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

peter gabriel posted:

It's aptly named :v:

:drat:

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.

Depths posted:

You ever get that feeling that someone is chasing you when youre walking down a hallway? Thats how phasmophobia is, poo poo rules

Getting chased around a kitchen table by a ghost, but also trying to snap a good picture of it was scary and hilarious at the same time. They like to lock the front door when they attack.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

The Walrus posted:

@ LLSix - here you go man - I probably should have warmed up before jumping right back in with this song. my arms are numb now after making it and playing once. it's a fun one though

https://www.soundboxing.co/user/steam/76561197983544073

i also mess up a bunch of the drum fill transitions in the beginning, oh well

Thank you! I was traveling (unavoidable) when you posted this and just got back. I am looking forward to trying it out!

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Cross post from the SW:SQ thread, but I’m running an Oculus Quest on the PC using link and Steam VR and it is the most frustrating poo poo.

Inevitably, after a while, this game starts to stutter. Not a *ton,* but frequently enough that it messes with the experience.

This shouldn’t happen, I’m running a 2080ti. Is the game that hosed or am I missing something super obvious and/or obscure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Phasmophobia is perfect at £10, I really hope the huge positive reviews and good vibes mean they can keep improving it because it's an incredibly solid concept but needs a lot of polish.