Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I would like a great pre-Star Wars science fiction film. A cynical one that reflects our current hellscape lol. I’ve never seen Logan’s Run, A Boy and His Dog, Soylent Green or any of them. But if something sounds a little more relevant I’d like to hear it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
THX-1138.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

feedmyleg posted:

Peppy, preppy 80s? Just that height of joyful bubblegum consumerism and big hair and jazzercize and malls and pink/teal puffy idealism?

Heavenly Bodies

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Which one, the original or CGI re-release. I kinda like the re-release better. :\

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Telebite posted:

I kinda like the re-release better. :\

I'm sorry to inform you but you have bad opinion

e: though in order to watch the original at this point you have to track down a fan restoration. The original hasn't been available on a home format since Laserdisc so it's mostly a moot point.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 13, 2020

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I would like a great pre-Star Wars science fiction film. A cynical one that reflects our current hellscape lol. I’ve never seen Logan’s Run, A Boy and His Dog, Soylent Green or any of them. But if something sounds a little more relevant I’d like to hear it.

1968’s Planet of the Apes might’ve set off the pre-Star Wars cynical SF trend, which included movies like Silent Running and the ones you mentioned. There's also The Quatermass Conclusion, which was released as a movie and as a TV mini-series; it came out after Star Wars but was written several years earlier.

Action Jacktion fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Sep 13, 2020

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Kart Barfunkel posted:

So technically it's between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back, but I saw the '78 Invasion of the Body Snatchers last night and it might legitimately be my favorite thing in the genre.

Also, I want to share this scene with as many people as possible:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz2IN7Gn-ys

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Power of Pecota posted:

So technically it's between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back, but I saw the '78 Invasion of the Body Snatchers last night and it might legitimately be my favorite thing in the genre.

Also, I want to share this scene with as many people as possible:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz2IN7Gn-ys

She also does that during the end credits of the last episode of the BrainDead series on Amazon.

Some of Philip Kaufman's movies are very good, the Body Snatchers remake was one of them. If you've never seen them, you should also watch Unbearable Lightness of Being, The Wanderers, and The White Dawn (a very underrated and not well known movie).

Telebite fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Sep 13, 2020

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

feedmyleg posted:

Peppy, preppy 80s? Just that height of joyful bubblegum consumerism and big hair and jazzercize and malls and pink/teal puffy idealism?

Perfect, starring John Travolta and Jamie Lee Curtis. It's got all the jazzercise you could want in a lifetime.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

feedmyleg posted:

I forgot to mention Mannequin. Mid-80s Kim Catrell had my schoolboy self feeling things I had never felt before.

E: great piece of IMDB trivia:

imdb posted:

LSD researcher Jerry Kelly convinced himself that this movie was real. He was arrested multiple times for speaking and even at times groping and undressing mannequins at several different retail shops. Eventually, he admitted that it was not the LSD that lead him to this.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 21, 2020

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I’m looking for a “self destructive youth” movie. Think Trainspotting or similar.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Kids
Mean Streets
My Own Private Idaho
Every Gregg Araki movie

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

massive spider posted:

I’m looking for a “self destructive youth” movie. Think Trainspotting or similar.

Badlands. Badlands Badlands Badlands.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

feedmyleg posted:

Badlands. Badlands Badlands Badlands.

Yeah, this is what you want. Also maybe Spring Breakers or If…

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

massive spider posted:

Less Than Zero

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

massive spider posted:

Millenium Mambo

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

massive spider posted:

Bully!

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

massive spider posted:

Crazed Fruit.

Comedy options are any of the juvenile delinquent films from MST3K: Teen-Age Crime Wave, High School Big Shot, The Violent Years, etc.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

massive spider posted:

Gummo!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
What are some movies and documentaries about photography and photographers? Something where the art of photography is part of the text or themes, not necessarily something like You're Next where a character uses a camera for a single iconic scene.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

What are some movies and documentaries about photography and photographers? Something where the art of photography is part of the text or themes, not necessarily something like You're Next where a character uses a camera for a single iconic scene.

Blow Up. Also Camera Person if you don't mean specifically still photography

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx52F4iLTL8

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Franchescanado posted:

Midnight Meat Train

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Franchescanado posted:

Salvador
A Grande Arte

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Cameraman: The Life and Work of Jack Cardiff
Finding Vivian Maier
Cameraperson

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g2TliYT5Wk

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
These are all excellent suggestions, and all are new to me. Thank you.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Franchescanado posted:

Show Me The Picture: The Jim Marshall Story. It'll be coming out in the US soon. (I exec-produced it!). It's pretty good but not great - it doesn't quite get to his essence or find the throughline. but it's really interesting about music photography in the 60s and 70s. He shot everyone: The Beatles, Stones, Jimi, Johnny Cash (he was the only photographer Johnny allowed at San Quentin and Folsom; he took the shot of JC flipping the bird), Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Janis Joplin, Jefferson Airplane... He took so many iconic photos that you'll recognise. The film is stuffed with those so it's a visual treat. it's worth watching.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Things that are scientologist propaganda but not up front about it.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Franchescanado posted:

I would definitely triple down on Cameraperson. I saw it not really knowing what to expect and it ended up blowing me away. I was a bit leery of the found footage aspect as I generally find movies without a strong narrative can lose my interest, but the way the footage is put together really worked for me. Plus her second feature, Dick Johnson is Dead is going to be released in a few days on Netflix so you can be a completist asap!

twit666
Nov 16, 2006

Soiled Meat

Thank you for this it was very good!

twit666
Nov 16, 2006

Soiled Meat
I went back several pages and wrote down a bunch of movies. On the list I wrote was Martyrs. I went in blind. Whichever one of you did this to me, well played. Martyrs makes Audition look like nap time in a kindergarten.

twit666
Nov 16, 2006

Soiled Meat
I apologize to the thread. I think I wrote Martyrs down from the horror thread.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
I just watched Prometheus, Alien Covenant, Pandorum, and Event Horizon. Any other cool spooky ships in space that aren't the rest of the Alien movies?

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
If you're good with just spooky and not outright scary then 2001 or Solaris.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Or Sunshine, maybe? Ad Astra?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Definitely Sunshine. Maybe Lifeforce, Galaxy of Terror, Life, and Pitch Black.

Comedy option: The Green Slime

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

A Bag of Milk posted:

I just watched Prometheus, Alien Covenant, Pandorum, and Event Horizon. Any other cool spooky ships in space that aren't the rest of the Alien movies?
Cargo (2009), Aniara (2019), Apollo 18 (2011), Europa Report (2013)

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Planet of the Vampires is a fun, gorgeous older sci-fi horror movie. It's on Prime

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

feedmyleg posted:

Comedy option: The Green Slime

I'd recommend Green Slime as a serious option; it's actually really good on a cinematic level. It's the same director as Battle Royale, and even though there's about 30 years between those movies, he has a real mastery over blocking and camera movement – I watched them fairly closely together earlier in the year and was shocked at just how well put together Green Slime is as a film, even if the script is a total comic book with gooey monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I just saw it recently and though there's plenty to enjoy there, it just felt like it was awkwardly half goofy 50s b-movie and half gritty 70s thriller.