Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
As someone who has never ever played the original 1 - 3, my preference pretty much goes 2, 1 and 3.

And while 3 is definitely the least developed, it's super fun to blast zombies left and right while doing perfect dodges all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

i feel like the original version of 3 is a good example of a popular-unpopular game:

1. Starts out in the shadow of a major release.
2. Darker or more experimental than the previous game.
3. The fans of this new game form a vocal minority among the fandom.
4. There's a perception that they have to "defend" the game because it didn't get universal acclaim.
5. Among fan sites, enthusiast communities, you then hear more about the black sheep than the white sheep.
6. Despite the fact that the new game got lower review scores and sales, it still "feels" more popular than the more popular predecessor.

You can see similar examples to varying degrees with Majora's Mask, MGS2, New Vegas, etc. They don't all fit all of those criteria, but I do think people feel more passionate and possibly love a game more when they have to fight back against negative perception.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I think RE3, original and remake, suffer from the really great idea, but merely good execution. The idea of Nemesis, in and of himself, is terrifying; an unkillable stalking machine that will hunt you through the streets, letting nothing stand in its way is a great idea. However, an exploding barrel or a door being enough to get away from it is not great.

3make Nemesis is too scripted, and it seemed like there was always an environmental solution to when he arrived (exploding barrel, sparking generator) to get him off your back, while original was easy to dodge, run past, and enter a loading screen for safety, barring the occasion where he could cross loading screens. Nemesis is supposed to be the ultimate stalker, but he gives up the chase really easily.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
To be fair, it wouldn't have improved the games if he actually had worked like Mr.X does in RE2make. The original games were not built for a persistent stalker who genuinely follows you anywhere. You would never, ever have been really capable of losing him for long. Your ability to move around the world and the world's ability to keep existing without you were too limited both by technology and the design of the game itself.

What Nemesis did was primarily to add atmosphere, and I think he performed admirably in that. True, if you were the kind of person who spent enough time playing around with him to realize how easy he was to cheese and avoid, then he wasn't very threatening at all. Your first time through the game, though, that really isn't how you were likely going to feel. Nemesis did a great job of making you feel hunted, even if there are actually only a fairly small number of situations in which he could appear.

I personally think that counts for something. They made the most of what they had available to them and it was effective enough that people remember the game for it.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

And that's a good point. I didn't think of it that way, since I know how he works and how to get around him. But for someone new, he's definitely an unstoppable force that could appear anywhere.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I mean, so far, there's nothing about the game that I find particularly bad. As I said, I find the layout to be confusing, but I'd argue that's sort of what makes it interesting. In the previous two games, you didn't really get lost, save for a couple of areas.

Not saying the game doesn't have flaws. While the ammo mixing system is interesting, it also seems like it's just an unnecessary step in acquiring more ammo. It sounds like the game doesn't have much in the way of replay value. Looking at the unlockables, the only thing you get for beating the game multiple times is character epilogues. It looks to be the first appearance of Mercenaries mode, which I know showed up in future games, and got spun off into its own thing, but I don't know much about it.

I dunno, maybe my opinion will change once I get further in. Again, I picked Easy difficulty, so my current impressions might not be the best; I might need to play through again on Hard. Really, though, I'm more worried about Code Veronica and RE0, because I've not heard much positive for those two.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 5, 2020

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
RE3 has decent replay value. It is one of my favorites despite the flaws. Trying to A/S Rank. Easy vs Hard. Different decisions in the Choose Your Own Escape prompts. Whether or not you want to try to down Nemesis every time, especially on Hard mode where his rewards are the best.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

a lot of the RE3 popularity seems to stem from the amount of people whose first RE game it was. at least that's my best guess, people usually fail to articulate why it was awesome other than the live events which is an interesting idea but you know, totally incapable of holding up an entire game.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

RE3 was my first RE game and remains my favorite largely because of nostalgia. It's not the best put together game, the dodge system is kind of a mess, and it definitely feels like a side game, but it has a real charm to it. Nemesis is also my favorite monster in the franchise even if he is a Nu Metal Frankenstein. It's one of those comfort food games for me.

gently caress the water puzzle forever, tho.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

a lot of the RE3 popularity seems to stem from the amount of people whose first RE game it was. at least that's my best guess, people usually fail to articulate why it was awesome other than the live events which is an interesting idea but you know, totally incapable of holding up an entire game.

Eh. It isn't my favorite but it does a lot of things right.

A) It actually focuses on the idea of Raccoon City in turmoil, whereas RE2 goes right into the Spencer Mansion Mk.II. This leads to a pretty different atmosphere and a wider variety of environments. (Part of why RE3M cutting out environments sucks.)
B) Nemesis is a 'known quantity' now but in the era the game came out he was a very effective use of illusion of danger to present danger. By making a presentation out of him you made him feel like more of a threat than he was and the pacing for his appearances was very strong because he'd vanish just long enough to make his return catch you off guard, especially with the fact that RE3 had different paths.
C) Speaking of which, RE3's different paths were a very effective way to make a short game feel longer. You could play the game multiple times and see completely different events, which was a fairly natural evolution of the Zapping System for only one playable character.
D) It introduced the Mercenaries Mode and while that wasn't the first Battle Game that RE had, it absolutely was what set the tone for future iterations of the same.

A lot of what it does well tends to get overlooked and part of why people were excited about RE3make was because it has a few selling points (the biggest being "explore Raccoon City" and "Nemesis") that would absolutely have benefitted from being given more care, time and attention. Part of the reason for the negative response to RE3make is because instead of giving those things attention it cut out most of exploring Raccoon City and had a Nemesis who was less impressive and intimidating than Mr. X when it absolutely should have been the opposite.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

rabidsquid posted:

I think nemesis gives the experience some punch that the first two lacked, sort of like the crimson heads in Remake being remembered so fondly. Once you get over the initial hurdles of the vanilla zombies in 1 and the lickers in 2 there's not much that really challenges you in the horror department, you're always either in control against garden variety enemies or you're in a telegraphed boss battle where the stakes are raised so high that it ceases to give off a horror vibe.

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 6, 2020

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Nemesis fight 3 is so annoying on Nightmare.

You have to look out for zombies and Nemesis and there's barely any time to shoot the tanks for zaps.

Now I wish I had unlocked more stuff before doing this difficulty but rest of the game was pretty easy in comparison.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Oct 6, 2020

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Crowetron posted:

Nu Metal Frankenstein

Mods, can I get a name change over here?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

rabidsquid posted:

I would say that the other half comes from the fact that even at its worst, it is only inoffensively okay instead of terrible. When Code Veronica is bad and boring, it is really bad and boring, which is ironically not helped along by the fact that it's actually a pretty long game. The only thing that anyone ever names as actually annoying them about Resident Evil 3 is the water puzzle, though.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

WaltherFeng posted:

Nemesis fight 3 is so annoying on Nightmare.

You have to look out for zombies and Nemesis and there's barely any time to shoot the tanks for zaps.

Now I wish I had unlocked more stuff before doing this difficulty but rest of the game was pretty easy in comparison.

Nemesis 3 is tough, huh? 3? :cawg:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
All this talk about Nemesis made me play RE3Make, and now I started the original to see the difference. Hooooo boy Carlos "Do you want to go out with meeee? All the fine ladies love my accent!"

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Medullah posted:

All this talk about Nemesis made me play RE3Make, and now I started the original to see the difference. Hooooo boy Carlos "Do you want to go out with meeee? All the fine ladies love my accent!"

Yeah man that's what old timey RE is all about :discourse: that's some grade A RE dialogue

Anyway, the beefs with R3make are never "R3make is bad" they are "R3make is not what I wanted it to be" and those are two different things however often people treat them the same on the internet

Beefing with the initial R3make price point, however, might be legit

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Medullah posted:

"All the foxy ladies love my accent! It drives them wild!"
"What? Keep dreaming!"

A joke about Carlos I remember from a long time back was that he boasts about his accent, but halfway through the game, said accent disappears.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

His accent disappears halfway through that sentence.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I’ve always enjoyed how everyone pronounces the second syllable of Mikhail like they’re clearing some gunk from their throat.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
One of the problems with the r3make for me is that it was too scripted

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Danknificent posted:

Anyway, the beefs with R3make are never "R3make is bad" they are "R3make is not what I wanted it to be" and those are two different things however often people treat them the same on the internet

I think the complaints about it's linearity, removed content and length are fair.

And this is coming from someone who liked it.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Leavemywife posted:

I think RE3, original and remake, suffer from the really great idea, but merely good execution. The idea of Nemesis, in and of himself, is terrifying; an unkillable stalking machine that will hunt you through the streets, letting nothing stand in its way is a great idea. However, an exploding barrel or a door being enough to get away from it is not great.

3make Nemesis is too scripted, and it seemed like there was always an environmental solution to when he arrived (exploding barrel, sparking generator) to get him off your back, while original was easy to dodge, run past, and enter a loading screen for safety, barring the occasion where he could cross loading screens. Nemesis is supposed to be the ultimate stalker, but he gives up the chase really easily.

I agree that he's way too scripted. I don't mind the length, because part of early RE's charm for me as a kid was being the dude people came to to get the speed-run unlocks on their memory cards, and RE3 leans into that side of the early franchise, but it's just got no tension at all. It can't commit to either mid period RE action or early period RE horror, and even though it plays great it never quite finds its bite.

I'm kind of glad he isnt like Mr X, because that amount of sustained stress would eventually suck, but as he stands he's far too canned. I didnt pay full price for either the 2 or 3 remakes, but together, they're a hell of a greatest hits record.

I tried playing REmake recently too, and it just didnt take this time. I loved RE in 1996 and again in 2002, but I'm happy to leave the mansion as a memory now.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
heres your new resident evil film reboot cast

thats in order from left to right, claire redfield, chris redfield, jill valentine, albert wesker, leon s kennedy, and ....william berkin. i actually think mcdonaugh would have a made a cool wesker myself but what do i know.

very interested to hear in the opinions of the internet at large on the casting of jill valentine and leon, im sure they will be very welcoming and cool opinions. right? yeah, im not even gonna look.

its set in 1998 and tells the mansion incident but no word on if they've cast the rock as barry burton or not. also i guess the city stuff too? unless they are just cast for the backend of the film to lead into the sequel...

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The internet will surely have a nuanced and well-considered opinion on the matter, as it always does.

I admit, my knee-jerk reaction was "but they look nothing like them!" before I thought that well, I guess it also doesn't really matter that much. Middle bottom guy will make a good Leon, I think. He has that doofy boyish charm to him.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Nemesis 3 is tough, huh? 3? :cawg:

:gonk:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

No Barry Burton no sale.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Are they gonna do 1 and 2 in the same movie if Chris and Birkin are both listed? Sounds like a bad idea.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Birkin might get a cameo to set up the relationship between him and Wesker. It doesn't necessarily have to involve the G-virus right away.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Neal McDonough is the only person I know of that lot, or have seen in anything, and he didn't even have that big a roll in 1922. Oh wait I saw Avan Jogia in Zombieland 2, apparently.

I'm curious, but outside of the CG films I'm just going to sit back screaming "WHERE'S ARKLAY?" into the void.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Justin_Brett posted:

Are they gonna do 1 and 2 in the same movie if Chris and Birkin are both listed? Sounds like a bad idea.

think it might be a mix of 2/3 with flashbacks to 1. or the mansion stuff crammed into a prologue. like start the movie during the og 3's intro cards, when they come back form the mansion and lead up to the outbreak. trying to convince irons what happened with the quick flashback before poo poo goes down.

gonna be interesting if they have mr.x or nemesis in this, i cant see them having both and also berkin but who knows.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Vikar Jerome posted:

gonna be interesting if they have mr.x or nemesis in this, i cant see them having both and also berkin but who knows.

As long as they get Dolph Lundgren to play Mr. X it's all fine.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

DeadButDelicious posted:

Neal McDonough is the only person I know of that lot, or have seen in anything, and he didn't even have that big a roll in 1922. Oh wait I saw Avan Jogia in Zombieland 2, apparently.

I'm curious, but outside of the CG films I'm just going to sit back screaming "WHERE'S ARKLAY?" into the void.

Hannah John-Kamen (Jill) was Ghost in Ant-Man and the Wasp.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

The last MCU film I saw was Guardians 1 or Avengers 1, whichever one came out last.

Why yes I do enjoy living under my rock thank you for asking. :)

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Medullah posted:

Hannah John-Kamen (Jill) was Ghost in Ant-Man and the Wasp.

She's Sweet Shaliquor in Dark Souls II as well in a super early role.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

lmao he's leaking the movies now

https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1/status/1313521870671548416

also lmao.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Yeah but who are they going to cast as Ada and Hunk and Irons and Annette and Sherry, you need the cheesy but vital B characters to build up the main protags, try to imagine Claire's arc without getting pissed about Sherry's neglect or Leon without his wife's support!

Also Dwayne Johnson as Mr X, come on now, it's right there.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

looking forward to "crisis on infinite raccoon cities" movie.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Disco Pope posted:

She's Sweet Shaliquor in Dark Souls II as well in a super early role.
Huh, I wouldn't have pegged her as the type who can pull off The Snarkiest Cat so well. That might turn out interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Just leaving this old gem here;