Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

dorium posted:

Skynet would be feeding a terminator active battle measurements like Iron Man at the end of Civil War where his suit was calculating Cap’s battle performance and movements and basically giving him a cheat sheet to be able to fight back.

Also is it a single Terminator or do we count that a Terminator could appear immediately once the first is killed and basically skynet could be feeding terminators through the time jump and keep it going for eternity.

I thought that time travel in Terminator is a one-way street and that, once a Terminator unit is sent through, it's basically on its own? Unless the Predator keeps leaving the head intact, I can't imagine that there would be anything left behind to salvage for Skynet to get data on in the first place.

And that's assuming that Terminator time travel don't inherently operate on "butterfly effect" parallel universe time travel rules, meaning that Skynet A would never be able to get data from Terminator A, or that Skynet B would want to follow through on trying to send in another Terminator to fight a creature that clearly outclassed it in the first go round.

Ultimately, what I'm hearing is, Netherrealm Studios needs to stop drip-feeding horror and sci fi characters into the various Mortal Kombat games and just go ahead and make a giant standalone movie character crossover fighting game, so we have a proper avenue to settle these kinds of arguments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxC0cgVjK3Y

There's a sequel to The Craft coming out soon? WTF?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Class3KillStorm posted:

I thought that time travel in Terminator is a one-way street and that, once a Terminator unit is sent through, it's basically on its own? Unless the Predator keeps leaving the head intact, I can't imagine that there would be anything left behind to salvage for Skynet to get data on in the first place.

And that's assuming that Terminator time travel don't inherently operate on "butterfly effect" parallel universe time travel rules, meaning that Skynet A would never be able to get data from Terminator A, or that Skynet B would want to follow through on trying to send in another Terminator to fight a creature that clearly outclassed it in the first go round.

Ultimately, what I'm hearing is, Netherrealm Studios needs to stop drip-feeding horror and sci fi characters into the various Mortal Kombat games and just go ahead and make a giant standalone movie character crossover fighting game, so we have a proper avenue to settle these kinds of arguments.

but like, if Skynet is active, wouldn't it start combing through any databases to find evidence of the Predator and its fighting style to send with each consecutive Terminator, but also why not send multiples at once to record the fights, stash their terminator bodies away for recovery decades later and then in the Skynet present retrieve the bodies and records of the Predator fights and just keep that going on loop until you create the perfect Terminator, Predator killer.

or yea, Netherrealms just needs to give us the Horror/SciFi fighting game we all want. I want to see The Thing up against an Alien.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

dorium posted:

but like, if Skynet is active, wouldn't it start combing through any databases to find evidence of the Predator and its fighting style to send with each consecutive Terminator, but also why not send multiples at once to record the fights, stash their terminator bodies away for recovery decades later and then in the Skynet present retrieve the bodies and records of the Predator fights and just keep that going on loop until you create the perfect Terminator, Predator killer.

or yea, Netherrealms just needs to give us the Horror/SciFi fighting game we all want. I want to see The Thing up against an Alien.

I mean, maybe? It's entirely plausible that Skynet would want to make some kind of Predator Killer - styled as PK for all the comics and toys - machine to combat it. But there are two simpler questions that would need to be addressed first:

1) Would Skynet have databases of knowledge about the Predators? In universe, Skynet is basically a networking of all of the American military computer systems (and possibly our Allies), but would that information be something that was uploaded to Skynet or have access to? I was always under the impression that Skynet only had access to military info/hardware, not civilian info; if the CIA or whoever is maintaining those databases of US info on the Predators keeps them away from DoD machines, it wouldn't know anything.

2) Would Skynet send any PK machines back in time to combat the Predator, or would it just wait until a Predator came to Earth in the future (Skynet's present)? And if it's the latter, would any Predator even bother in a scenario where organic prey is dwindling or near extinct?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

Predator's use computers and electronics that are probably way more advanced than Skynet and could hack Skynet with their alien tech.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

weekly font posted:

Uh he straight snaps a kids neck in H40 my good folks.

H40 is a little weird for the series in a lot of ways, and I'm assuming it's deliberately so

kid murder is something they were pretty careful to never explicitly show Michael doing previously, and whether you want to take that as a character choice or a content concern is up in the air, I feel like

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Class3KillStorm posted:

1) Would Skynet have databases of knowledge about the Predators? In universe, Skynet is basically a networking of all of the American military computer systems (and possibly our Allies), but would that information be something that was uploaded to Skynet or have access to? I was always under the impression that Skynet only had access to military info/hardware, not civilian info; if the CIA or whoever is maintaining those databases of US info on the Predators keeps them away from DoD machines, it wouldn't know anything.

The military has a whole predator division according to the last movie

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I watched The Incredible Shrinking Man last night and was really surprised by the melancholy tone. The increasingly large props and special effects were great for 1957. Its pulpy sci-fi with horror elements but the entire plot is just him accepting that he’s just going to continue shrinking into the infinite. If you’re doing an atomic horror or 50’s era I would highly recommend it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

dorium posted:

Class3KillStorm posted:

I mean, maybe? It's entirely plausible that Skynet would want to make some kind of Predator Killer - styled as PK for all the comics and toys - machine to combat it. But there are two simpler questions that would need to be addressed first:

2) Would Skynet send any PK machines back in time to combat the Predator, or would it just wait until a Predator came to Earth in the future (Skynet's present)? And if it's the latter, would any Predator even bother in a scenario where organic prey is dwindling or near extinct?

Retro Futurist posted:

The military has a whole predator division according to the last movie

I thought you guys were movie buffs? Come on people, remember the lore! Skynet wouldn't have access to all military records, because most records were destroyed in Judgement Day! Remember? The Terminator had to kill every Sarah Conner in Los Angeles because literally all Skynet knew for sure about Sarah Conner was that she was in Los Angeles in 1984.

And you think Skynet should record the fights with the Predator? OK, where would that information be recorded? What body part of the Terminator is most likely to contain recordings? I don't know about you, but I would assume, the head. And if a Predator defeated a Terminator, what part is he basically guaranteed to take with him when he leaves?

Yeah. Come on guys. Do better.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I always assumed that meant civilian records like census since Sarah Connor is a civilian.

Skynet would have access to military records because it would need those to do its job of coordinating all military strategy.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Tarnop posted:

I always assumed that meant civilian records like census since Sarah Connor is a civilian.

Skynet would have access to military records because it would need those to do its job of coordinating all military strategy.

Remember that Judgement day was a full on nuclear bombardment of humanity. There's no telling how much military materiel Skynet willingly destroyed in that attack. And we must assume that it wasn't zero, because Judgement Day happened hours after Skynet went online. So presumably, the bulk of the military was still in human hands. So Skynet must've targeted military installations in order to neutralize humanity's ability to strike back

And then there was the war between humanity and the machines. Remember, Skynet only started using time travel in the last days of the war, when humanity was winning. So who knows how much intelligence humanity had been able to capture or destroy before time travel came into the picture.

So it is simply not believable to claim that Skynet, by the time it started using time travel, still had all the military intelligence that was available at the time it came online

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Predator's use computers and electronics that are probably way more advanced than Skynet and could hack Skynet with their alien tech.

Two Predators dressed like Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum light cigars as the endoskeletons look up in horror from their terminals.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Xenomorphs have such a great design. I know that comes a little out of nowhere, but all this predator talk got me thinking about Alien vs. Predator, which in turn got me thinking about Xenomorphs and how rad they look:

Beautiful, just fantastic in every way.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Imo that’s one of the worst Xenos.

It’s all about the OG son.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Xenomorphs have such a great design. I know that comes a little out of nowhere, but all this predator talk got me thinking about Alien vs. Predator, which in turn got me thinking about Xenomorphs and how rad they look:

Beautiful, just fantastic in every way.

its structural perfection is matched only by its hostility.

Giger was a genius. dude was tapping into something deep within us in a major way i think

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

ruddiger posted:

Hell yeah, I made an appreciation post about her awhile back in either this thread or the poster thread and was surprised at the amount of b-horror movies she’s been in.

E: it was the poster thread and the trailers thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3461865&perpage=40&pagenumber=11#post484953963

Any of those movies worth a watch?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

H40 is a little weird for the series in a lot of ways, and I'm assuming it's deliberately so

kid murder is something they were pretty careful to never explicitly show Michael doing previously, and whether you want to take that as a character choice or a content concern is up in the air, I feel like

I don't think Carpenter's (and Hill's) vision had any moral compunction with killing kids. Maybe Carpenter himself or the studios had reservations with going there the entire point is that Micheal is pure evil and has no soul. He doesn't care at all and that's what makes him so drat scary. So he's definitely not mellowing out for kids or dogs. He doesn't care. And he's actively trying to kill Jamie for 2 films. That's not Carpenter (and Hill) but there's absolutely nothing in their original version that would suggest he'd have some kind of moral line there. The concept is totally contradictory to what Michael is.

He's not a "good boy" or a sympathetic abuse victim or whatever. He's the monster.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

CelticPredator posted:

Imo that’s one of the worst Xenos.

It’s all about the OG son.

All Xenos are good, but you're right OG is best.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Gripweed posted:

I thought you guys were movie buffs? Come on people, remember the lore! Skynet wouldn't have access to all military records, because most records were destroyed in Judgement Day! Remember? The Terminator had to kill every Sarah Conner in Los Angeles because literally all Skynet knew for sure about Sarah Conner was that she was in Los Angeles in 1984.

And you think Skynet should record the fights with the Predator? OK, where would that information be recorded? What body part of the Terminator is most likely to contain recordings? I don't know about you, but I would assume, the head. And if a Predator defeated a Terminator, what part is he basically guaranteed to take with him when he leaves?

Yeah. Come on guys. Do better.

These are extra terminators ordered to not fight, but just stand away as bystanders and record footage to their brain chip. then hide out in a cave for 100 years, or in current Skynet overlord time, almost instantaneous from the point of the Video Terminator going through the time portal. Recover the terminator and upload the footage.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

You're right

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

dorium posted:

These are extra terminators ordered to not fight, but just stand away as bystanders and record footage to their brain chip. then hide out in a cave for 100 years, or in current Skynet overlord time, almost instantaneous from the point of the Video Terminator going through the time portal. Recover the terminator and upload the footage.

The Predator's heat vision would easily be able to tell the difference between a human bystander and a Terminator bystander.

feedmyleg posted:

You're right

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

STAC Goat posted:

I don't think Carpenter's (and Hill's) vision had any moral compunction with killing kids. Maybe Carpenter himself or the studios had reservations with going there the entire point is that Micheal is pure evil and has no soul. He doesn't care at all and that's what makes him so drat scary. So he's definitely not mellowing out for kids or dogs. He doesn't care. And he's actively trying to kill Jamie for 2 films. That's not Carpenter (and Hill) but there's absolutely nothing in their original version that would suggest he'd have some kind of moral line there. The concept is totally contradictory to what Michael is.

He's not a "good boy" or a sympathetic abuse victim or whatever. He's the monster.

a monster can still have rules, quirks and standards. Jason very explicitly avoids killing kids at least once and I don't see us arguing if that makes him somehow not the monster; it just makes him a monster with at least one rule.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I prefer OG Halloween to Zombie Halloween, but I've never understood why the "pure, inexplicable evil" origin is considered inherently scarier than the product of an abusive and broken home. The former is an aberration, a one off that lets us say "that's scary, glad it won't happen to me". The latter is little Michaels being created in hosed up homes across the world and you never know when you might be unlucky enough to run into one.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I will admit, probably the biggest reason I bounced off Halloween was when Dr. Loomis did his whole evil speech I didn't think, "oh poo poo that's so evil!" I thought "Wow this is literally the worst psychiatrist ever"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'm not of a fan of the late ADI Xenos. AvP is probably the best, but AvP-R is some awful awful poo poo. There's not a shot in the film with them that doesnt look like a halloween costume.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Waxwork is loving INSANE.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Hey kvlt! watch S&man it's a lot of fun and they interview Fred Vogel

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

a monster can still have rules, quirks and standards. Jason very explicitly avoids killing kids at least once and I don't see us arguing if that makes him somehow not the monster; it just makes him a monster with at least one rule.

I'm not saying monsters can't have rules, I'm saying Michael doesn't. That's how he's created to be. He's the Boogeyman.

Jason's "rules" and characterization is more fungible but at his core he's a much more "human" monster if we accept that his primary driving motivation is revenge or anger. I tend to think the best explanation for Jason is that he's just a feral animal. He's just killing poo poo and then presenting them as trophies. There's no rhyme or reason, its just his nature.

But Michael? He just decided one day to start killing. He has no soul. So like there's no need to create rules for him or assume he's some kind of code. The point is he doesn't. He's just evil incarnate.

Gripweed posted:

I will admit, probably the biggest reason I bounced off Halloween was when Dr. Loomis did his whole evil speech I didn't think, "oh poo poo that's so evil!" I thought "Wow this is literally the worst psychiatrist ever"

I mean, he's a lovely shrink but I don't think that disqualifies him from being right that Michael's just a psychopath with no morality. Especially since his actions support it.

But I think the way to interpret Loomis as a guy who might have one time been a good doctor and man but who has gradually been driven mad by his compulsion to stop the "evil" of Michael.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 7, 2020

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

OG Halloween Michael that doesn't have druid powers and picks Laurie at random basically is the better one. All the others kind of lame because there's motivation.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Hollismason posted:

OG Halloween Michael that doesn't have druid powers and picks Laurie at random basically is the better one. All the others kind of lame because there's motivation.

I don't think he picks Laurie at random. Even without the sister thing I think the implication was always that she REMINDED him of his sister. The first time he sees her is at his old house. In his eyes she always his sister and whatever compelled him to kill his real sister was compelling him to kill Laurie.

Its still random from Laurie's perspective and that's what's so terrifying. But Carpenter and Hill were definitely always leaning towards that "sister" motivation. Which is why it doesn't really bother me that they go all the way in II even thought they do it so clumisly.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Original Myers just picks her because she shows up and starts stalking her. There's no real subtext that she reminds him of his sister. Its kind of just random. I've alway felt that original Myers was the personification of death and how at that age teenager rather is where you come to terms or start to with your own mortality.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
A friend asked me, when H40 came out, if Michael would kill a baby.

I paused for a long rear end time on that question. In theory I don't see Michael having a problem with killing a baby, he just wouldn't have a reason to. Michael, if he likes anything, gets anything out of killing people, he likes scaring them. He fucks with people. He doesn't see life as anything and wouldn't think twice about killing a kid, but he likes to terrify people.

So a baby, incapable of grasping him or responding to him in any way that he could get anything out of, I don't think he'd kill. Has nothing to do with rules or morality, kind of the opposite.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think Michael WOULD kill a baby if he wanted to. Would he want to? I have no idea. I don't know what Michael wants. No one does (except maybe the druid cult). But like, he wouldn't hesitate for any moral reason. As you said, it might just not do anything for him. Then again as you said he's kind of a sadist so maybe it WOULD do something for him if he could reason out the affect it would have on some other victims. But I don't think Michael thinks that far ahead.

Hollismason posted:

Original Myers just picks her because she shows up and starts stalking her. There's no real subtext that she reminds him of his sister. Its kind of just random. I've alway felt that original Myers was the personification of death and how at that age teenager rather is where you come to terms or start to with your own mortality.
I don't think you can just ignore that Michael locks in on her at his house. What Michael's exact reasons or motivations are, I don't know. I'm not sure that's important at all since he's not the protagonist of the story, Laurie is. For her its just the utter randomness of danger. She's done nothing wrong, she gets poo poo from her friends for being a good girl, she did a favor for her dad instead of being an obnoxious teen about it. But she was in the wrong place at the wrong time and something evil locked in on her.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
It's not really specific to Laurie, but he's definitely reenacting what happened when he was a kid. He shows up in town, digs up his sister's tombstone, then takes it to a house nearby and basically does a reenactment of his sisters murder, with a twist this time because now he's a grown man who can actually stand-in for the boyfriend using a "clever" disguise.

Laurie herself is just collateral damage but she's still a teenage girl who is in the vicinity so it's not like him targeting her has nothing to do with his sister. All teenage girls are his sister.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

STAC Goat posted:

I think Michael WOULD kill a baby if he wanted to. Would he want to? I have no idea. I don't know what Michael wants. No one does (except maybe the druid cult). But like, he wouldn't hesitate for any moral reason. As you said, it might just not do anything for him. Then again as you said he's kind of a sadist so maybe it WOULD do something for him if he could reason out the affect it would have on some other victims. But I don't think Michael thinks that far ahead.

Michael would kill a baby if the situation presented itself. In a vacuum, like in 40 where they're alone in a room together, I don't think he'd find reason to. If that baby was someone he was stalking, he'd 100% stab that baby and hang them up like a decoration

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah. I don't think he's targeting "Laurie Strode." He has no idea who that is. He's targeting the random girl who reminded him of his sister. But yeah, those other girls probably were his "sister" too. And anyone else who had randomly walked into his gaze would have been.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think if a group of babies ganged up and attacked him he would kill a few.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Haunting of Bly Manor reviews are coming in and all criticisms say it's more of a melodrama than Hill House, which does not bode well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

For those who've both read and watched I'm Thinking of Ending Things, which should I do first?