Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

FlocksOfMice posted:

So now all Dominic has to do is collect the Blackstone Serpents and the regalia of the Hierophant of Order and he can go to Skullcrusher mountain and stop Baitlin from opening the Wall of Lights to release the doom of the world caused by the inbalance of the Serpents of Chaos and Order and--wait.

at least the avatar went on a journey to discover these things instead of an alien just showing up and teleporting them to the final scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
He used to wear something that was probably supposed to be a fedora (but didn't resemble it that closely since Mookie draws as well as he writes,) but Mookie got laz(ier) and stopped drawing it. It appears occasionally in filler art/pinups.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
oh new strip by the way, nothing happens

:flaccid:

Instead of a week of walking we get another week of vague, meaningless dream bullshit. But I do wonder if the Ink Witch continues to manipulate Snout from afar of it'll be revealed Snout was the one causing these dreams all along, absolving her of guilt.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Mookie has a thing for yellow, self-admitted.

That huge-rear end metal collar all the chosen wear being yellow really threw me off. Kind of a loud color choice for the chaos death cult.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

his dick looks more surprised than he does

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

TheHan posted:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I'm gonna laugh if this dream is induced by corpsemum somehow and we just end up with a completely creatively bankrupt repeat of TIW pulling Snout into a dreamplane.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

TheHan posted:

oh new strip by the way, nothing happens.

Good thread title

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

TheHan posted:

If this were a better story Snout encountering ink and coming out dirty would be his dreaming mind trying to warn him about the Kink Witch's abuse.

Instead, since this entire sequence has been one day (bringing us up to a total of... like, four? days since Snout's house exploded, and one day since the the Kink Witch's abduction) I'm sure it's actually a sign that she's in danger and he has to rescue her or some poo poo.

Speaking of: apparently there's a shack full of dead people less than a day's walk from Mongreltown, but nobody who lives there ever noticed it. Mongreltown clearly doesn't have suburbs or surrounding farmland, where do they get enough food to feed all of their potion stall vendors, adult bookstore owners, giant minotaurs, one winged angels, and Kink Witch tarot scam victims?

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
What I learned from this update is mookie is still enjoying using his new brushes that make messy effects like he discovered for the necromancer satyr and the dirty traced goth boy he's really liking all these new brush settings look at these brush settings

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

This is now Chapter 49: Dreamfinder btw.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

FlocksOfMice posted:

What I learned from this update is mookie is still enjoying using his new brushes that make messy effects like he discovered for the necromancer satyr and the dirty traced goth boy he's really liking all these new brush settings look at these brush settings

It's a pretty cool brush not gonna lie

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

The Little Death posted:

If he starts repeating the whole pagefinder saga I'll turn inside out.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

The Little Death posted:

Chapter 49??? What the gently caress is in each chapter? How long, on average, are they? I have no idea how we can possibly be at chapter 49, we've had like, five events the entire comic.

Edit: vv Oh, that doesn't make any sense but it makes way more sense than this alone being on 49 chapters.

Wait, there are 45 chapters of the original? Storm of Souls is like, 12? Oh, gently caress me.

catlord fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 6, 2020

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
It's only at 49 cause he's going off of original Dominic Deegan numbering. This is the fourth chapter in the Nothing Chronicles.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

catlord posted:

Wait, there are 45 chapters of the original? Storm of Souls is like, 12? Oh, gently caress me.

I too felt the icy hand of death.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
To be fair, something like 30 of those are the March Across Maltak and the Desert of Eldariat to Die.

"Fair" is the wrong choice of words.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
Hot drat, what a thread. I finally caught up.

I first encountered DD when a friend showed me one of the physical printed books. It started with the first comic and ended with that comic of Dom and Luna cuddling on the floor. I admit, I like the 'Seer's Catalog' thing, and the 'newspaper strip' gags at the beginning, it's the kind of dumb stuff that every D&D group does and I can't hold it against the guy.

HOWEVER, even today, I remember that the book ended with this self-congratulatory essay that Mookie had written about himself (I don't know if it was exclusive to the printed books or if it ever appeared on the DD website). In it, he has a good long wank about how brave, inclusive, feminist, and ground-breaking his work is, and how no other author in history would dare to portray an ugly love interest for the main character.

...and just, by literally any metric, Luna isn't ugly, AT ALL. She's a blonde (or strawberry blonde? redheaded?), blue-eyed, conventionally attractive, clear-skinned, skinny white woman with cute snaggletooth fetish fangs. Like, what representational barriers does the dude think he's breaking down?

Storm from the X-men (and this is not to say that she's a perfect or even a great example, I'm aware there are plenty of problems with her portrayal), a black woman who's portrayed as powerful, competent, and goddess-like is a million times more progressive than anything Mookie has ever done just by virtue of existing. Hell, doing nothing other than putting Harmonious Jade on the cover of the first-ever Exalted book blows their entirety of DD's run out of the water. I bring these up specifically, because he's obviously cribbing from X-men and anime superheroes.

Also, I think one of the cool ideas he flirts with is but doesn't stick the landing on is that even though 'Seer Vision' is always 'right', Dom lacks perspective, or he only sees part of a 'technically correct' picture that leaves out other important details. I think there's a lot of good story potential there, but I assume at this point we're in full DBZ mode.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Mookie wishes* the March Across Maltak was as short as Namek.

*he probably doesn't

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I’m of a mind that the visions could have worked out at least somewhat better if it was made clear that even in-universe, there’s usually a lot of murkiness about what any individual vision actually is. As in, the seer has no clue whether it’s a vision of the future that will come to pass without interference, one that will happen with their actions after they’ve received it, etc.

That could have even served as a way to more firmly establish Celesto as his rival/foil: he’s a prodigy of a seer who can consistently only get one type of vision (let’s say “the future if nothing happens to change it”), which seems to give him a distinct advantage over Dominic at first. And with that, you have the perfect setup for a climactic plot twist that he didn’t see coming precisely because he only has that one perspective for his visions, while Dominic developed and executed a plan that only works because he had multiple different potential perspectives for his visions that he had to take into account, and had to deduce what type of vision he had received.

From that, you can have Dominic actually show that he’s got a strong intelligence by breaking down how he came to his conclusions, instead of constantly having to inform and reassure the audience that he’s totally the smartest guy in the room.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Instead whenever he talks about it, he talks about it as if all of time and space is a tv show and if he doesn't know something it's just because he never bothered to tune in to it and watch. He never knew what happened between his mom and fetish necromancer only because he didn't bother to watch that episode. All of reality is an anime and he can watch clips from it whenever he wants but there's never any problem with context because the uploaders put really detailed descriptions and wiki links in the upload description.

Every adventure is the thrilling story of "Dominic gets linked a youtube video relevant to the plot. He then clicks on related videos until he knows everything about everything, and uses his wiki knowledge to beat everyone by only using the tropes that win!"

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Wow, this sure is... something. Is it weird that I am actually kind of fascinated by the new comic? You never know what kind of weird nothing is going to happen next. I am actually asking myself "Where is Ink Witch?", because wasn't Mookie being horny for her the entire reason he created this comic?

Many thanks for the Dominic Deegan summaries. I read part of it years ago and gave up on it during on of those arcs where nothing happened, but hell if I know what it was. I've definitely forgotten a lot of things.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Cloacamazing! posted:

Wow, this sure is... something. Is it weird that I am actually kind of fascinated by the new comic? You never know what kind of weird nothing is going to happen next. I am actually asking myself "Where is Ink Witch?", because wasn't Mookie being horny for her the entire reason he created this comic?

Many thanks for the Dominic Deegan summaries. I read part of it years ago and gave up on it during on of those arcs where nothing happened, but hell if I know what it was. I've definitely forgotten a lot of things.

In case you missed that it happened, the pages where the Ink Witch and Arudak saw Bad Ink Witch and Bad Arudak and disappeared from the comic happened right after someone tweeted to mookie about the ink witch acting abusive towards Snout and mookie got pissy about it. So the armchair psychology theory here is that he got frustrated enough over it that he pushed the character off camera while trying to figure out what to do.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Oh, I saw that. I'm still curious on when she's making her comeback, because if she doesn't, that kind of proves the critics right and we can't have that.

Maybe now Zombiewife will be the third part of the magic dream trinity thing, instead of Arudak.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Cloacamazing! posted:

Oh, I saw that. I'm still curious on when she's making her comeback, because if she doesn't, that kind of proves the critics right and we can't have that.

Maybe now Zombiewife will be the third part of the magic dream trinity thing, instead of Arudak.

I had joked a zillion pages ago about Snout forming a polycule with Arudak and inkwich. Swapping him out with bride of Mookenstein is very on-brand for Mookie.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

YF-23 posted:

In case you missed that it happened, the pages where the Ink Witch and Arudak saw Bad Ink Witch and Bad Arudak and disappeared from the comic happened right after someone tweeted to mookie about the ink witch acting abusive towards Snout and mookie got pissy about it. So the armchair psychology theory here is that he got frustrated enough over it that he pushed the character off camera while trying to figure out what to do.
No first he had her explain to the audience Snout how what she did was okay and she totally wouldn't have done the thing she'd already done like twice without asking him, which she hadn't.

THEN the other two showed up and dragged them out of the comic.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
Something else is that I think on some level, Mookie understands that 'rich white woman attempts to frame poor black man for rape' and 'bullying disabled and/or gay people' are bad things for a person to do, he just lacks the ability to approach the topic with nuance, respect for the victim(s), or tact. I truly feel that no one should have to censor themselves, but the dude needs to have a critical eye for what topics are going to land gracefully in a gag-a-day comic.

You know how there's a small group of sycophants who never clued in how bad the comic was? My best friend in late middle/early high school was one of them. I keenly remember the 'Bumper is black!' reveal, because I remember her trying to frame it to me in social justice terms and ranting about 'Hey, did you know that there are a whole bunch of people online who are mad that Bumper is black?' and 'Hey, did you know that there are a ton of stupid people who didn't know from the beginning that Bumper is black?'.

Girl, how could anyone have figured that out? All the characters have the exact same face/body.

I sort of regret sitting her down and trying to explain to her why people didn't like how it was handled (though I'm sure there were people being racist about it, that was not the majority opinion by far), because she stopped talking about the comic to me after that. Which was fine at the time, because it meant I no longer had to read it so she could talk to me about it. Now, I sort of want to know how all of this was filtered through the lens of a superfan.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
If I wanted to be optimistic, the ink consuming and almost completely covering Snout while dragging him down is not meant to be seen in a positive light. It could be him realising that what the Ink Witch did was wrong and him letting it go before was a reflection of how blinded he was. Away from her influence and long into the role reversal of him leading the (somewhat) helpless Zombie around looking for the plot while she relies on him for protection has him questioning the Ink Witch's behaviour towards him, because he never thought to do to Zombie what the Ink Witch did to him.

However, Mookie does have some prior form for abuse victims forgiving their abusers so I wouldn't be surprised if he's gearing up for a 'the ink witch WAS bad but Snout's just so good and pure that he forgives her anyway' thing.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

That would require mookie to understand metaphor and characterization so is clearly impossible from a guy who can't even keep the snape of Snout's treasure trail consistent from one panel to the next.

My guess is that in the next comic, Snout will use his mind powers to turn the ink that's cocooning him (except his face so we can see who it is) into iron man armor to cement his status as a Mookie and will effortlessly kill a monster in the mindscape before waking up, giving us the facial expression of a dog that scared itself awake by farting to express "huh that was weird" and then walk past some more rasterized vegetation from the Spore demo.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Inkwitch joins the group, now it's a harem anime.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

My heart clenches into a fist at such a prospect. I mentioned "Revolutionary Girl Utena" a few weeks ago as a likely source of aesthetic inspiration for Szark, but I aggressively do not want to see everyone fight over possession of Snout's mutant dong.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The cock is a toe

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Invisible Clergy posted:

That would require mookie to understand metaphor and characterization so is clearly impossible from a guy who can't even keep the snape of Snout's treasure trail consistent from one panel to the next.

My guess is that in the next comic, Snout will use his mind powers to turn the ink that's cocooning him (except his face so we can see who it is) into iron man armor to cement his status as a Mookie and will effortlessly kill a monster in the mindscape before waking up, giving us the facial expression of a dog that scared itself awake by farting to express "huh that was weird" and then walk past some more rasterized vegetation from the Spore demo.

I think exactly this will happen, except the part about Snout taking action.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

GreenMetalSun posted:

Something else is that I think on some level, Mookie understands that 'rich white woman attempts to frame poor black man for rape' and 'bullying disabled and/or gay people' are bad things for a person to do, he just lacks the ability to approach the topic with nuance, respect for the victim(s), or tact. I truly feel that no one should have to censor themselves, but the dude needs to have a critical eye for what topics are going to land gracefully in a gag-a-day comic.

You know how there's a small group of sycophants who never clued in how bad the comic was? My best friend in late middle/early high school was one of them. I keenly remember the 'Bumper is black!' reveal, because I remember her trying to frame it to me in social justice terms and ranting about 'Hey, did you know that there are a whole bunch of people online who are mad that Bumper is black?' and 'Hey, did you know that there are a ton of stupid people who didn't know from the beginning that Bumper is black?'.

Girl, how could anyone have figured that out? All the characters have the exact same face/body.

I sort of regret sitting her down and trying to explain to her why people didn't like how it was handled (though I'm sure there were people being racist about it, that was not the majority opinion by far), because she stopped talking about the comic to me after that. Which was fine at the time, because it meant I no longer had to read it so she could talk to me about it. Now, I sort of want to know how all of this was filtered through the lens of a superfan.

Until that storyline, I was convinced that Bumper was a white girl.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

TheHan posted:

I think exactly this will happen, except the part about Snout taking action.

No we’re both wrong, even less is happening.

Ok, the whole legacy has been like this but it’s so annoying how the Wednesday update is always just a transition page between Monday and Friday. We already saw him take an ink dive on Monday, he’ll presumedly talk to the Ink Witch on Friday, what is the Wednesday page for! We haven’t learned anything new, it isn’t showing us anything we haven’t already seen, it’s just a whole page dedicated to one panel of content.

I know it’s just Mookie being lazy, but it makes reading the comic—especially at only 3 pages a week—excruciating.

TheHan fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 6, 2020

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

His sack's huge

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

He's falling down but his dick-toe is still limply hanging

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

This is the worst pornography subgenre, ‘non-furry animal man rolls down ink rapids with bored expression’

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Joe Slowboat posted:

This is the worst pornography subgenre, ‘non-furry animal man rolls down ink rapids with bored expression’

You've jinxed it, we're getting bloody Ink Witch breasts on Friday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Kavak posted:

You've jinxed it, we're getting bloody Ink Witch breasts on Friday.

*thinks*

there's a non-zero chance we get an ink witch who uses red ink, huh