Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I got like a promotional cd at Salvation Army called like Daisuke Matsuzaka Strikes You Out! Or something like that. It had a buncha crappy songs on it but it’s fun to have as a weird snapshot in time.

The same day I bought a cd of Phish Farmhouse that actually had Santana Supernatural inside. I feel like I deserved that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

CPL593H posted:

So the retail price of that Tron Legacy reissue that came out today actually is 70 bucks for some reason. There's nothing special about it. It's just a run of the mill 2 LP. My best guess is that Disney being the greedy dicks that they are know that people will absolutely pay that price for it. I don't think it's a coincidence it dropped days after the Mondo release. They're also right about people paying through the rear end for it because it's already sold out on Amazon.

I don't think that's the retail(?).
It sold for 350sek here in Sweden at least (like $40) which is about what the expensiveish 2LP tend to drop for.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

BigFactory posted:

I got an absolutely perfect sleeve from the first mono pressing of The Doors at a thrift store. That’s the uncensored version. Now if I ever find a loosie LP at a thrift store I have something!

What was censored on the Doors album cover?

The Senator Giroux posted:

It’s been a really long time since I’ve gotten anything really good at goodwill, but a few years ago I found a mono copy of Velvet Underground and Nico (peeled unfortunately) and a mono copy of Bookends.

I do miss the days where I’d find stuff like Bauhaus and Devo and local bands I’ve not heard of but why not try them out for 70 cents.

That's still an amazing find banana or not.

Buffis posted:

I don't think that's the retail(?).
It sold for 350sek here in Sweden at least (like $40) which is about what the expensiveish 2LP tend to drop for.

I've been looking around and something weird is going with that release. A couple sites had a pre-order for it that disappeared which is looks like is the case with Amazon. Best Buy's website supposedly has it in stock at 69.99 but if you add it to your cart it says it doesn't ship until December. That remix album which was supposed to come out on the same date announced for the regular album (which would have been this Friday gone by) has a release date pushed back to the end of the month. It also is listed at that high price. The only places I saw that seemed to be selling it for pre-order are Amazon and Best Buy. Deep Discount had a listing for it that marked the price as "$0.00" and if you clicked the link it lead you to a page that said "Item not found.". A day later that link was gone altogether. I'm guessing something is hosed up somewhere and it's probably going to drop somewhere in the next couple months with a normal price I've seen a few other things where Amazon put up pre-order links too early and there was some clusterfuck involved. I'm just hoping that if Disney does put this out it's not another limited edition.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 4, 2020

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Reposting from a while back because there was a period of like, a week and a half where I struck some thrift store gold:

https://twitter.com/NewsFedora/status/1034935667644686341

And also sometimes it pays to sift through a musty pile of 78 rpm shellac records:

https://twitter.com/NewsFedora/status/1038973699653812224

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

What was censored on the Doors album cover?

It’s the sleeve from the first mono pressing where he says he wants to gently caress his mom in The End. So if I somehow manage to find a copy of the record itself that has a lovely cover, I have a really nice one to replace it with.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BigFactory posted:

It’s the sleeve from the first mono pressing where he says he wants to gently caress his mom in The End. So if I somehow manage to find a copy of the record itself that has a lovely cover, I have a really nice one to replace it with.

I have a mono reissue that came with that Doors box set from 2007ish and the uncensored version of the song from the CD isn't on there.

edit: I haven't listened to that in years but I do know it's remastered from the original tapes. Now you've made me curious. The thing about the mono version is I guess they hosed something up with the tapes back in 67 so even the original copies have dodgy sound quality and occasional crackling sounds.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 5, 2020

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I always thought that was a myth. I just googled and clicked on three "uncensored" youtube videos and none of them have the line "mother, I want to gently caress you". Though I'm not too familiar with the song so maybe there is some other part that got changed.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

I have a mono reissue that came with that Doors box set from 2007ish and the uncensored version of the song from the CD isn't on there.

edit: I haven't listened to that in years but I do know it's remastered from the original tapes. Now you've made me curious. The thing about the mono version is I guess they hosed something up with the tapes back in 67 so even the original copies have dodgy sound quality and occasional crackling sounds.

If it came with the record I could listen and find out! drat thrift stores!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

wa27 posted:

I always thought that was a myth. I just googled and clicked on three "uncensored" youtube videos and none of them have the line "mother, I want to gently caress you". Though I'm not too familiar with the song so maybe there is some other part that got changed.

It is. At some point all versions of the CD had the uncensored version of the album and it doesn't say that. There is a lot of him saying "gently caress, gently caress, gently caress yeah! gently caress! gently caress!". Which is interesting because despite being censored the mono version has a few subtle fucks. But the CDs have a fury of fucks. Break On Through is also uncensored on the CDs and includes the line "she gets high" which does not appear on the mono version.

BigFactory posted:

If it came with the record I could listen and find out! drat thrift stores!

You made me curious and I went and listened to that part of the song and my memory served me correctly. Also "crackling" was not an accurate description. It's some kind of distortion. I remember this pretty vividly because that box set was a pretty big deal at the time and it had been delayed several times because it was a numbered limited edition but the demand was so high they bumped up the number. So anyway I was dying to finally listen to the records and when I played the mono version of the debut album it kind of sounded lovely and I was like "What the gently caress!?" so then I looked around online and it turns out that that's just what the mono version of that album has always sounded like. The box set also comes with a little booklet thing where the people involved described the process of remastering those albums and it was pretty meticulous so there's no way they would have missed that. Bruce Botnick worked on that project with Bernie Grundman. So that's as definitive as it's going to get save for owning an actual first pressing.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 5, 2020

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Well I can still listen to my copy of supernatural

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BigFactory posted:

Well I can still listen to my copy of supernatural

I'll be busy digging a hole under my neighbor's toolshed and clawing at anyone who tries to go in there and get near my Doors box set.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

the crazy thing about the doors is that they censored all the good songs on every album by just singing bad ones instead

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

A human heart posted:

the crazy thing about the doors is that they censored all the good songs on every album by just singing bad ones instead

I went on a 15 minute deep dive with the doors a little while ago and tried to listen to soft parade and strange days. It’s weird how bad those two are.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Soft Parade is notoriously bad, always has been.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

The uncensored Break On Through just sounds weird and off. No way I'd ever buy a copy of the album with this on it:

Skip to around 1:13

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el7E-cqvfP0

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Good mail day

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Still the best Doors record to date https://www.discogs.com/The-Doors-Greatest-Hits/release/650923

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
man the last few pages of this thread have been good for me

had a period of time about 7-8 years ago where i got really big into vinyl- when thrift store finds were still possible, that's how i built my collection at first.

due to a series of moves to progressively smaller places and having kids, my collecting and listening ceased for a while, and my collection sat in a too heavy rubermaid in a garage

bought a house earlier this year and finally had the room but moving in costs and rona postponed all of it

i received a new turntable for my birthday........and it's a crossley.

i was initially extremely skeptical but it turns out it's actually pretty good! looks like a plastic version of a uturn. it doesnt do the thing where it hurts your records. now i am back down this rabbit hole....

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Boinks posted:

The uncensored Break On Through just sounds weird and off. No way I'd ever buy a copy of the album with this on it:

Skip to around 1:13

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el7E-cqvfP0

Huh. I'd never actually *heard* the unedited version of Break On Through until today. It definitely sounds odd, almost forced.

I looked it up and of course what I can find on it is idiots on reddit claiming it's not real and/or they're from a parallel universe where that version of the song doesn't exist, because obviously edits that everyone comes to know as the complete song can't be a thing.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

man, I guess I need to put reddit on my phone because signed copies of the kills b-side record blew out in seconds.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I bought an In Flames record in 2020, feel free to relentlessly make fun of me

Remastered edition of Clayman, my favorite album of theirs, alongside the 7" containing the re-recorded tracks they did this year, which I'll definitely never listen to and will probably just hang somewhere cause that orange creamsicle is beautiful

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BigFactory posted:

I went on a 15 minute deep dive with the doors a little while ago and tried to listen to soft parade and strange days. It’s weird how bad those two are.

I haven't much listened to the Doors in years. But classic rock is always babby's first record collection. I listened to them a lot when I was in my teens and early 20s. Soft Parade is utter poo poo and I've only listened to it once or twice. Strange Days isn't terrible but it's such a "meh" album. The title track, People are Strange, and When the Music's Over are good songs but the rest of that album I can barely remember. It kind of plays like a "Here are the songs that weren't good enough for the first album" thing. Now that said, the Tiny Tim cover of People Are Strange (or one of them I think he did a few versions) completely shits all over the original. For me it's second only to Devo's No Satisfaction on the list of covers better than the original. Just listen to this, it's loving bananas.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n86dSssBSmA&ab_channel=LuchadorGnome[/quote]

Talk about a vocal range, holy poo poo. It actually does sound strange.

John Romero posted:

man the last few pages of this thread have been good for me

had a period of time about 7-8 years ago where i got really big into vinyl- when thrift store finds were still possible, that's how i built my collection at first.

due to a series of moves to progressively smaller places and having kids, my collecting and listening ceased for a while, and my collection sat in a too heavy rubermaid in a garage

bought a house earlier this year and finally had the room but moving in costs and rona postponed all of it

i received a new turntable for my birthday........and it's a crossley.

i was initially extremely skeptical but it turns out it's actually pretty good! looks like a plastic version of a uturn. it doesnt do the thing where it hurts your records. now i am back down this rabbit hole....

Quit while you're ahead. DON'T SUFFER MY FATE!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

kumba posted:

Remastered edition of Clayman, my favorite album of theirs, alongside the 7" containing the re-recorded tracks they did this year, which I'll definitely never listen to and will probably just hang somewhere cause that orange creamsicle is beautiful

I don't know this band but that album looks dope and I will not make fun of you. Good vibes zone here

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
Surprise World/Inferno Friendship Society 7" in a mailorder in place of a different 7" that I had ordered? Don't really mind that at all.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

kumba posted:

That looks like a 10- or at the least 8-inch, not a 7

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Anything over seven inches is way too big.

pwn
May 27, 2004

As long as it’s thick.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

pwn posted:

As long as it’s thick.

lookin like a record thats gonna make me have to adjust my whole fuckin tone arm balance to get it to not skip

(seriously this is a recurring issues with 180g and similar records and me)

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

abraham linksys posted:

lookin like a record thats gonna make me have to adjust my whole fuckin tone arm balance to get it to not skip

(seriously this is a recurring issues with 180g and similar records and me)

Tape a nickel to that poo poo!

pwn
May 27, 2004

I think more weight would exacerbate the problem?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BigFactory posted:

Tape a nickel to that poo poo!

In this economy!

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I should go hug my turntable since I've never had a problem with thick records. Or maybe it's the heavy tracking force of an ortofon red I dunno.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

CPL593H posted:

Quit while you're ahead. DON'T SUFFER MY FATE!

too late brother i reactivated my discogs account

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

Interesting takes on the songs but thankfully nothing I would ever need on vinyl. Both are missing Battle with a Weird Opponent and The Sky Runner so neither is perfect.

This isn't technically an RSD release but I count it as my RSD purchase. Just read Electric Kool-Aid and wish I could have seen what the Acid Tests were like (both sober and otherwise). Signed by Ken Babbs who is probably my favorite of the Pranksters.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
New Vault Package announced:

quote:

We get that the idea of “Greatest Hits” may seem irrelevant in the era of Spotify and playlisting...that an act’s most streamed songs are considered their de facto “hits.” But we also wholeheartedly believe that great bands deserve “Greatest Hits” and that a large part of our successes has been built on zigging when the rest of the “music business” is zagging. The White Stripes are a great band with great fans and it feels like a greatest hits compilation from them is not only appropriate, but absolutely necessary.

With a tracklist traversing the entirety of their career, from late Nineties flashes of brilliance through early 2000s underground anthems, masterful MTV moon man moments, Grammy-grabbing greatness, worldwide stadium chants...the songs here are as wide-ranging as you can imagine. Two LP’s worth of those tracks are precision pressed on glorious red and white discs at Third Man Pressing in Detroit.

But for our most dedicated supporters, the legion, the ride-or-die Vault members...well, you deserve a bit more.

We expanded the collection by adding a bonus LP of largely overlooked, previously scattered b-sides. That disc is pressed on an exquisite red/white/black “detonation” colored vinyl. Of particular interest is the first-ever official vinyl appearance of the Stripes’ stellar cover of the Tegan and Sara track “Walking With a Ghost” coupled with the first vinyl issue of some tracks in over 15 years.

To climb further down the rabbit hole, the Vault version of Greatest Hits features iconic artwork from longtime White Stripes collaborator Rob Jones. Fully displaying why he’s a Grammy Award-winning designer, the Jones artwork is whimsical and engrossing and chock full of Easter eggs that will only slowly avail themselves to the most scrutinous of eyes over the long arduous passage of time.

In addition to the exclusive album art, the Vault package comes with a shockingly breathtaking custom set of three Rob Jones 8x10 silk-screen prints. There are three different sets of prints and they will be inserted into your package at random. Frameable, gallery-worthy, dare we say investible...nothing short of the brilliance that’s become par for the course from Mr. Jones.
As the final little treat for this our 46th Vault package, we’ve got a White Stripes-themed set of magnetic poetry. Yes, all the words you best know from Jack White’s lyrics...home, bone and telephone and SO many more, included here for you to randomize and make your own “little” White Stripes song.

While the standard issue black vinyl version of The White Stripes Greatest Hits will be available for eternity, the Vault version will be the ONLY colored-vinyl or artwork variation. Get it now or if you snooze you lose.

Sign up for the Vault by midnight Central Standard Time October 31st to lock in what is truly a stunning collection celebrating the best recorded moments of the White Stripes.

Track list for the main Greatest Hits album is kept secret for now, but this is what's on the bonus LP:

1. Look Me Over Closely
2. Lafayette Blues
3. Red Bowling Ball Ruth
4. You’re Pretty Good Looking (Trendy American Remix)
5. Rated X (Live at Hotel Yorba)
6. Who’s to Say…
7. Good To Me
8. Black Jack Davey
9. St. Ides of March
10. Who’s A Big Baby?
11.Though I Hear You Calling, I Will Not Answer
12. Shelter Of Your Arms
13. Walking With A Ghost

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

thats a late 2021 reunion announcement, calling it now.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
One of my 30 year old speakers suddenly sounded super blown out in the bass today, so I cracked it open and the frame stuff connecting the woofer to the enclosure was totally disintegrated. Few pieces of tape later and it sounds as good as new.

I friggin love analogue equipment

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Track list for the main Greatest Hits album is kept secret for now, but this is what's on the bonus LP:

1. Look Me Over Closely
2. Lafayette Blues
3. Red Bowling Ball Ruth
6. Who’s to Say…
7. Good To Me
8. Black Jack Davey
9. St. Ides of March
10. Who’s A Big Baby?
12. Shelter Of Your Arms
13. Walking With A Ghost

I know I'm old when the bands I loved in my (relative) youth are starting to pump out greatest hits albums.

I don't know if I'll buy this one (I basically never listen to Greatest Hits albums) but that bonus LP looks pretty great.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Nikaer Drekin posted:

1. Look Me Over Closely
2. Lafayette Blues
3. Red Bowling Ball Ruth
6. Who’s to Say…
7. Good To Me
8. Black Jack Davey
9. St. Ides of March
10. Who’s A Big Baby?
12. Shelter Of Your Arms
13. Walking With A Ghost

I'm so glad you posted this before they charged me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
One of the Gods has left us....

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/06/entertainment/eddie-van-halen-dead/index.html

Time to load up some Van Halen.