Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

LODGE NORTH posted:

Im thinking about picking up the IKEA ALEFJÄLL tomorrow. I currently have a gamer chair that seemingly every single YouTuber has, but it has a lot of weird or unnecessary “features” whereas the Alefjall style seems more suited for what I do and where Im at in life. It seems ridiculous using this verbiage when talking about a computer chair, but it seems pretty nice. Anyone have this chair and have any thoughts?

I think that's the chair a friend of mine got just recently. He seemed pretty happy with it although I'm not sure I'd be able to live with the low back and lack of headrest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Anyone have a Steelcase Think (v2)? I can get one pretty cheap but I'm just curious to know how comfortable it is for sitting on for extended periods of time for general computer use and gaming.

I know Steelcase is a pretty good, expensive brand but I don't know much about this stuff at all.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 6, 2020

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Checked out a local preowned office furniture place by me with Leap v1 chairs. I tried them out and they felt just as nice as the Aeron for my needs, and I kinda felt like the lumbar support was more solid on the Leap. Since I'm dealing with a lumbar disc issue making nerve numbness happen, that's pretty important - also the Leap is only $250 vs. the Aeron's $500.

I'm only working FT remote until COVID is over so I'm not looking to break the bank on a chair that'll outlast the apocalypse, and I'll sit-stand so it's OK if it's not mesh. I'm taking delivery on Thursday, so long $10 Office Depot chair from forever ago.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

MJP posted:

Checked out a local preowned office furniture place by me with Leap v1 chairs. I tried them out and they felt just as nice as the Aeron for my needs, and I kinda felt like the lumbar support was more solid on the Leap. Since I'm dealing with a lumbar disc issue making nerve numbness happen, that's pretty important - also the Leap is only $250 vs. the Aeron's $500.

I'm only working FT remote until COVID is over so I'm not looking to break the bank on a chair that'll outlast the apocalypse, and I'll sit-stand so it's OK if it's not mesh. I'm taking delivery on Thursday, so long $10 Office Depot chair from forever ago.

drat, $10, that's a hella value!

Jimbot posted:

Anyone have a Steelcase Think (v2)? I can get one pretty cheap but I'm just curious to know how comfortable it is for sitting on for extended periods of time for general computer use and gaming.

I know Steelcase is a pretty good, expensive brand but I don't know much about this stuff at all.

I've not used a Think (to my knowledge) so I'm afraid I can't say. I'm curious what "pretty cheap" is, though, because the price range might help us help you consider other alternatives as well.

Is the Think you're looking at new or used?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Jimbot posted:

I have a v1 and it's great. I am 1.9m tall and 93Kg. There's no adjustment but that's by design, I don't ever have any issues sitting down for (too) long periods.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm looking at an office liquidator site that's based out of Massachusetts (state where I live) and they're selling a V1 for 179. They also have a bunch others that people talked about in this topic so I sent the sales rep a request for quotes on those as well. I'm looking for used because these things new would utterly break me. I'm waiting to see what kind of quotes I get back to see if they are affordable and go with what the cost is vs what the chair goes for.

https://www.conklinoffice.com/home.html

In fact, the chair I asked about got added to the front page there.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Jimbot posted:

mobby_6kl posted:

Well never mind, I went over to their warehouse and they had the Think that I got for like 250 thanks to a little imperfection in the fabric.

Even the arm rests slide around in XY, I don't think our office Please did that. I haven't tried it but Im pretty sure this feels better than sex.
A few days later I realized that something wasn't quite right. I had to screw around more with the lumbar thing and seat position but it feels good again now. Unfortunately I think the only way to be sure is use one for a whole day. I spend around 20 minutes testing the different models but that will won't tell you how'd you feel after 8 hours.

Zarin posted:

Not as good as $0, which is what my previous chair cost me at the dumpster!

I later found out it's a mid-rangeish chair worth about 150-200 new. It's actually pretty comfortable (I like the butt-shaped seat) but has limited adjustments.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Gonna sound like a dumb question to some but is 450 for a used Herman Miller Aeron a good deal? It's all mesh. How about 295 for a Steelcase Leap v2? That one's fabric.

Say price was no object, of the two which would you pick and why?

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 6, 2020

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Jimbot posted:

Gonna sound like a dumb question to some but is 450 for a used Herman Miller Aeron a good deal? It's all mesh. How about 295 for a Steelcase Leap v2? That one's fabric.

For me, it'd depend on the options, I think. I suspect the Leap comes with better lumbar support out of the box; the Aeron has an optional lumbar support add-on.

At first, I hated the way the Aeron seat was built, but I eventually grew to like it, iirc.

If you have the option to sit in them both before purchasing, I'd give that a go. If not, I will say it's probably easier to find an aftermarket headrest for the Aeron (which, when I was sitting in one, was a feature I was really wanting). If you're a headrest guy, that is.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

$450 for a used Aeron if it's 10+ years old and everything is worn is too much cash

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I have a Leap so I'm "biased" but the Leap is a way better deal.
Aeron is a name.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Jimbot posted:

Oh, forgot to mention - depends on your size and the size of the Aeron. Aeron comes in three flavors - A, B, and C. B is the "average", C is for larger people, and A is for smaller people.

The Leap is probably on par with . . . uh . . . an Aeron B or C? I think the A would be noticeably smaller than the Leap.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
For what it's worth the office furniture of Virginia place that I went to had a ton of aerons for around 150- 200

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jimbot posted:

I am literally at your point as of like 24 hours ago. The real difference that I noticed was the lumbar support - the Leap I tried had much better lumbar support, but I was also really specific about it due to a lumbar disc issue I'm dealing with.

I liked the mesh of the Aeron but not enough to pay $155 more for it. The fabric did a good job of holding me in place and not slipping around.

Zarin posted:

I forget if I actually bought it for $10 forever ago and it's just followed me since 2004, or if I got it on Craigslist just to get an office chair. It's just a height adjustable thing with a fixed back. Sucks for long sits, so it's good to encourage switching seat/stand.

My one regret is that my company is huge, and if I wanted a shot at them reimbursing me for these, it'd be months.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It was Aeron B but I decided to go with the Leap v2 and on ebay instead of the liquidator I was in contact with because the shipping for the chair was almost as much as the chair itself and the ebay seller put me under what I would have paid for the chair + shipping. On top of having more consumer friendly policies (free returns for 30 days, 10 year warranty) whereas that liquidator I was dealing with had no such things in place.

Funny enough, the mesh stuff look great but it was the super adjustable armrests that sold me on the Leap (well, on top of it being cheaper). Just having those features on top of an already well-made, seemingly super comfortable and already feature rich chair made it a no-brainer.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

LODGE NORTH posted:

Im thinking about picking up the IKEA ALEFJÄLL tomorrow. I currently have a gamer chair that seemingly every single YouTuber has, but it has a lot of weird or unnecessary “features” whereas the Alefjall style seems more suited for what I do and where Im at in life. It seems ridiculous using this verbiage when talking about a computer chair, but it seems pretty nice. Anyone have this chair and have any thoughts?

Got the chair, do not like it. Short review: arm rests are in a stuck position that is too far back, back support is far too low, you can lean back in the chair but you cannot make it stay there. Itr's very comfortable, padding wise however. If you're a small person, like max 150lbs, probably under 5'5" then this chair is great - but for anyone outside of that range, the chair isn't that nice.

However, for me, it helped me solidify what I want out of a chair.

Gaming chairs are *too much* for me. I don't need a chair to lay completely back, I don't need a foot rest or whatever the hell, nor do I need it to look like it came ripped out of an F1 racecar, but I do want a "tall back," maybe a headrest, the ability to lean back more than just a few degrees, and obviously great, long, comfortable arm rests. I looked up a few, and people (obviously here) recommend the Aeron size B and the Embody. For the Aeron, I can buy a third party headrest, and the Embody may just be tall enough as is.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? They don't really offer colors I like for the Aeron or Embody, but I did absolutely LOVE the color and style of the ALEFJALL, so if anyone knows of a great chair that might hit all the above boxes, but can nestle in a nice modern-vintage style, I'm all in. Here's the ALEFJALL for reference:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Is it possible to get a chair that's like, a memory foam bed, but chair shaped? Google is telling me no, but I want to believe.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Some Goon posted:

Is it possible to get a chair that's like, a memory foam bed, but chair shaped? Google is telling me no, but I want to believe.

I have a Tempur-pedic chair from Staples (this one https://www.staples.com/Tempur-Pedic-TP4000-Fabric-Computer-and-Desk-Office-Chair-Black-Fixed-Arm-TP4000/product_324022) but the memory foam in it is a lot firmer than the mattress topper I have on the bed. I do like the chair and it's lasted four years with minimal wear so far, but I'd definitely suggest sitting on one before buying it.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Is there a best place to order a chair from? I'm looking to get a Leap V2 and I saw some people talk about Crandall, but their prices run maybe $100 over other stores. If I can get an actual, functioning, not-gross chair for cheaper, I'll drat well do that.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

LODGE NORTH posted:

Is there a best place to order a chair from? I'm looking to get a Leap V2 and I saw some people talk about Crandall, but their prices run maybe $100 over other stores. If I can get an actual, functioning, not-gross chair for cheaper, I'll drat well do that.

I typically get my chairs new from a local distributor; they charge me roughly 70% of MSRP.

If you have access to a local liquidator, in theory you'd be able to go sit in the actual used chair you're gonna purchase and look it over before you buy.

Aside from that, I don't know who the good online retailers are :(

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

I know this is a dumb question and I've prob boned myself, but just in case:

I have a Steelcase Gesture with a headrest, I did NOT get the additional lumbar support and I highly regret that

That's not something a dealer could add to my chair if I bring it in, right? That'd involve like an entirely different back, correct?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

black.lion posted:

I know this is a dumb question and I've prob boned myself, but just in case:

I have a Steelcase Gesture with a headrest, I did NOT get the additional lumbar support and I highly regret that

That's not something a dealer could add to my chair if I bring it in, right? That'd involve like an entirely different back, correct?

A quick Google didn't do anything much for me, but the back kinda LOOKS the same with or without lumbar. I'm wondering if they can just pop the plastic shell off the back and slide it in.

Near as I can remember (it's been 6+ months since I saw mine . . . ) it felt like a bar that just slid up and down between the shell and cushion. I don't see why that couldn't be added, but I have no experience with that directly.

I'd say either call your dealer, or SteelCase directly, and ask!

Edit: Did find this video, and iirc the Gesture uses a system that (superficially, anyway) looks the same:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8LAwLXPJ_Q

I suspect it's probably at least similar.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Awesome thanks for googling for me :D I'll contact my local Steelcase dealer and inquire!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Some Goon posted:

I also have the TP-4000 and it's fine for the price, especially with how adjustable it is, but it's weird for me. Sometimes it's one of the most comfortable things I've ever sat on, other times it feels like the foam just gives up underneath me. These times can be within hours of each other. I have no explanation.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Relatedly, if I'm looking for more of a lounging / gaming chair that fits at a desk rather than a dedicated task chair (though it will be used for task-ing at times), does that change people's chair recommendations.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
I don't know anything about computer chairs, but was thinking of looking to get one that is good quality. After doing some googling, I found some recommendations for Steelcase Leap or the Herman Miller Embody, both are pretty expensive, but it seems they are better value than buying something from office depot or staples that will wither and break down quickly in comparison to those other ones. Are the above mentioned chairs good/high quality? Should I be spending less?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Ryuga Death posted:

I don't know anything about computer chairs, but was thinking of looking to get one that is good quality. After doing some googling, I found some recommendations for Steelcase Leap or the Herman Miller Embody, both are pretty expensive, but it seems they are better value than buying something from office depot or staples that will wither and break down quickly in comparison to those other ones. Are the above mentioned chairs good/high quality? Should I be spending less?

Those chairs are thread favorites; other honorable mentions are Steelcase Gesture and Herman Miller Aeron. I'll also throw out there from personal experience that I find the Herman Miller Cosm to be more comfortable than the Aeron.

That being said, yes, those are good high-quality chairs that will last. As for how much you should spend, that depends on a lot of things, including your own personal financial situation. However! There are ways to get those chairs for less - one way is to see if there are any office furniture liquidators near you that you can purchase used chairs. You could also check FB Marketplace, Craigslist, etc.

There are other quality chairs out there for less; I believe the Ikea Markus (Marcus?) and another Ikea chair are mentioned in this thread a lot.

My personal recommendation is that if you're going to be spending a lot of time in a chair, you owe it to yourself to try the chair out first if at all possible - either in the store, or at a friend's house, or whatever - and make sure that you like the thing before you commit.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ryuga Death posted:

Reporting in from two weeks of the Leap v1 and this thing is pretty drat quality. Mine is used and reupholstered. There's a little wear on the armrests but every single piece of the frame is in place, every adjustment is precise and responsive, it rolls well, and once I got it tuned into what my sitting position was, it was supportive and wonderful. The chair plus physical therapy and an inversion table have helped my lumbar disc issues. For $250 used and reupholstered, this is a no-brainer, but if there's something equally solid at the big office stores, try them out. Do check out used office furniture places by you, if there are any, for a Leap or Embody.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
I'm getting some credit for home office supplies. My chair broke recently (unsalvageable beyond taking it to a weld shop and honestly it wasn't that great to begin with), so I'm looking to put the money toward that.

I don't want to deal with the extreme high end yet, so I'm just looking for something fairly ergonomic and comfortable - for work and gaming.

https://www.noblechairs.co.uk/hero-series/gaming-chair-pu-leather

This one seems to be well-reviewed and practical for my needs. Does anyone have thoughts for or against it?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

FaradayCage posted:

I'm getting some credit for home office supplies. My chair broke recently (unsalvageable beyond taking it to a weld shop and honestly it wasn't that great to begin with), so I'm looking to put the money toward that.

I don't want to deal with the extreme high end yet, so I'm just looking for something fairly ergonomic and comfortable - for work and gaming.

https://www.noblechairs.co.uk/hero-series/gaming-chair-pu-leather

This one seems to be well-reviewed and practical for my needs. Does anyone have thoughts for or against it?

2 year warranty so it's mostly worthless like most gamer chairs. PU leather is generally disliked because it'll start peeling relatively quickly and then your chair looks like poo poo in addition to being a poor sitting experience. Actual ergonomics may still be questionable even if they claim to have added lumbar support.

The general rule of thumb is get something with a 10+ year warranty so you know it's not going to fall apart anytime soon, Steelcase and Herman Miller are the most commonly recommended brands but there are newer companies if you look around. If you're on a budget you look for one of those secondhand or hit up IKEA, the Markus is a big cheap chair designed to last but they've also recently introduced an upgraded version for more ergonomic support as well.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

isndl posted:

2 year warranty so it's mostly worthless like most gamer chairs. PU leather is generally disliked because it'll start peeling relatively quickly and then your chair looks like poo poo in addition to being a poor sitting experience. Actual ergonomics may still be questionable even if they claim to have added lumbar support.

Just seconding the PU leather thing - not only will it look bad, the poo poo that flakes off gets EVERYWHERE. I'm still finding a random piece of it like 6 months after throwing my Staples PU leather chair out.

Even putting a sheet over it to cover the leather wasn't enough.

PU Leather: Not Even Once

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Is there anything in the MARKUS price/quality range that has adjustable armrests? I'm fuckin short (5'3") so I need a chair with adjustable armrest and seat height, and very importantly, seat depth. I finally realized the reason almost no chairs are comfortable for me is that because of the depth, I can't actually sit against the back of the chair. Going through used inventory isn't really an option for me right now, and I'm willing to go with something that won't last for ages because of that.

(I wasn't able to take home the Leap from my office. :()

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Stroop There It Is posted:

Is there anything in the MARKUS price/quality range that has adjustable armrests? I'm fuckin short (5'3") so I need a chair with adjustable armrest and seat height, and very importantly, seat depth. I finally realized the reason almost no chairs are comfortable for me is that because of the depth, I can't actually sit against the back of the chair. Going through used inventory isn't really an option for me right now, and I'm willing to go with something that won't last for ages because of that.

I was gonna suggest this thing:
https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/510830/WorkPro-Quantum-9000-Mesh-Series-Mid/

But it seems to have gone WAY up in price from when I got one a long time ago :(

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

isndl posted:

The general rule of thumb is get something with a 10+ year warranty so you know it's not going to fall apart anytime soon, Steelcase and Herman Miller are the most commonly recommended brands but there are newer companies if you look around. If you're on a budget you look for one of those secondhand or hit up IKEA, the Markus is a big cheap chair designed to last but they've also recently introduced an upgraded version for more ergonomic support as well.
Ars had a review of some gaming chairs and apparently they aren't too bad. https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/10/gaming-chair-shootout-secretlab-omega-vs-anda-fnatic/

Although yeah PU is a gently caress and I would avoid like hell. The real leather option is too expensive for a gimmicky gaming chair.

Stroop There It Is posted:

My old dumpster chair had adjustable armrests (height only). I don't know if it's available wherever you are but I think it was the OfficePro Calypso and seems to be a bit cheaper than the Markus. For the price (I mean the retail not free dumpster diving) I think it's a pretty decent option. It held up pretty well, unlike my last PU Ikea chair that started flaking and then failed in all other possible ways within a year or two.

In any case I'd recommend trying to pick up a used HM or Steelcase chair from a liquidator as that's almost certainly going to be a better chair and value. I'm really pleased with my Please.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Is there a general consensus reputable source for used chairs online if you don't happen to have a liquidator showroom nearby?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I am a bigger / taller guy (6'3" and 280 lbs). Is there a good "gaming chair" recommendation that is sub $200? If this has been answered elsewhere in the thread please let me know and I will look there. The chair that I have now is this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N9J7MLI/ref=msg_ctr_lk_pdt and it's hot loving garbage. Since I'm working from home I'm sitting in my computer chair for what feels like 12 hours a day so something that is durable would be appreciated

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.
Nothing good in your price range thqh

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

SalTheBard posted:

I am a bigger / taller guy (6'3" and 280 lbs). Is there a good "gaming chair" recommendation that is sub $200? If this has been answered elsewhere in the thread please let me know and I will look there. The chair that I have now is this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N9J7MLI/ref=msg_ctr_lk_pdt and it's hot loving garbage. Since I'm working from home I'm sitting in my computer chair for what feels like 12 hours a day so something that is durable would be appreciated

Bathtub Cheese is likely correct. I think the best "budget" chair, new, would be the Ikea Markus, but that's $30 outside of $200.

If you can get something used, you might be able to keep the budget and get something solid.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

VorpalFish posted:

Is there a general consensus reputable source for used chairs online if you don't happen to have a liquidator showroom nearby?

I think that's something the thread has struggled with. Madison Seating has had mixed reviews in this thread, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'm not opposed to spending a little more. We are going to be work from home "until further notice" so I'm willing to pay a bit more for comfort.