Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

My dumb rear end thought Armin was Floch.

Also, am I going crazy or is Levi's nose gigantic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Where's Eren?

Where's Eren??

wHeRe'S eReN????

:shepface:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

Where's Eren?

Where's Eren??

wHeRe'S eReN????

:shepface:

Basement.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

there's a gym and a protein powder factory in the basement

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 48 minutes!

I just realized that for the first part of the season I can redo the "just wait till they get to the basement" joke with my friends.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The basement has to be like the only thing in anime that lived up to the hype right

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 48 minutes!

Eej posted:

The basement has to be like the only thing in anime that lived up to the hype right

As in a mystery that's been brewing for years, breadcrumbs thrown here and there but not enough to piece together what secrets might lie in ~The Location~, but whose reveal should by all rights be a turning point in the narrative?

I can't think of any others that pulled it off, no.

Grisha's diary is simply masterful in how it ties all of the hitherto loose threads together while setting the stage for the next part of the story. I haven't heard of anyone disappointed by it.

Plus it was funny how last season was reaching the basement as Game of Thrones was ending.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Basement delivered and I really enjoyed how part 2 started with Eren's attack on Liberio and slowly explained the last 4 years through flashbacks. Even with the titan mystery revealed it still kept the suspense up. AoT is one of the best written mangas I've read.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Conspiratiorist posted:

I haven't heard of anyone disappointed by it.
It's been a while so I guess people are used to it, but it felt like there was a lot of disappointment at the time. I guess some people just wanted this to be a different kind of story.

I don't think that was the prevailing opinion, but it was the opinion that stuck out to me because I disagreed with it so hard so it stuck in my memory.

I assume people who really had an issue with it quietly dropped the manga at some point over the years and haven't thought about it since. I mean, that's got to happen sometimes when people don't like a thing.

In retrospect reading about that disappointment has been really interesting because it gives an insight into Eren's mind. He was disappointed by that twist. He wanted it to be a different kind of story. And that's part of the plot and character development. So in the end, even people not liking the twist managed to make the story better somehow.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

In It For The Tank posted:

My dumb rear end thought Armin was Floch.

Also, am I going crazy or is Levi's nose gigantic?

I constantly get Armin, Yelena, and Floch mixed up. Sometimes Annie too.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

I constantly get Armin, Yelena, and Floch mixed up. Sometimes Annie too.

That might be why anime Floch is a redhead instead of blonde. Makes distinguishing everyone easier.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

quote:

Basement reaction chat.

The immediate reaction to the reveal was lukewarm, but the following chapters going into Grisha's backstory piqued everyone's interest back up and people only got more hooked from there.

You gotta remember that, at the time, we were also feeling pretty tired of how long the Shiganshina arc was (for manga readers it was like a year of watching these fuckers continuing to fight after being seemingly defeated) and the resolution of what happened with Armin was pretty controversial too.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Even looking back on it, the Shiganshina arc is probably the weakest point in the series.

Edit: to be clear, I am specifically referring to the manga.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 27, 2020

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
The Shiganshina arc is loving incredible, and like every other arc, was improved by the pacing and presentation of the anime.
The response to that five-week long battle was actually super positive among anime viewers, as was Midnight Sun, which was more controversial in the manga. And I see a lot of folks saying that Attack on Titan is pretty much the only series where the Mystery Box approach actually paid off. And they're gonna see it double pay off when the anime reaches the PATHS dimension.

The real low point was the manga version of Uprising, which was drawn out and poorly paced. Lots of readers quit there because it just seemed to be meandering from one plot thread to another. Again, the anime improved this, but nerds got mad because stuff was cut.

Beefstew fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 27, 2020

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Yeah I agree the manga was at a low point during the end of part 1. Following the manga monthly during Uprising Arc was a slog and while Shiganshina was good, I felt every chapter left me saying "Can I please see what's in the loving basement already". Basement and part 2 delivered though. A lot of people were expecting titans to be some human experiment gone wrong. It was really surprising to see titans were actually some supernatural being that noone truly understood, besides agreeing they must be exterminated.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Beefstew posted:

The Shiganshina arc is loving incredible, and like every other arc, was improved by the pacing and presentation of the anime.
The response to that five-week long battle was actually super positive among anime viewers, as was Midnight Sun, which was more controversial in the manga. And I see a lot of folks saying that Attack on Titan is pretty much the only series where the Mystery Box approach actually paid off. And they're gonna see it double pay off when the anime reaches the PATHS dimension.

The real low point was the manga version of Uprising, which was drawn out and poorly paced. Lots of readers quit there because it just seemed to be meandering from one plot thread to another. Again, the anime improved this, but nerds got mad because stuff was cut.

I mean, reading Uprising all at once, it flows pretty well. There's also a lot of good character stuff that got cut, some of which (like the Eren and Historia interactions) is pretty clearly going to be important come endgame. Uprising is the arc where Eren finally comes together as a character, it builds up the supporting cast and gives them plenty to do, it shows the world, all kinds of good stuff. The anime loses some of that, even if the cuts were probably the right call with the resources available.

I'd say the problem with the manga arc is less that it's bad, and more that it...

Well, a manga called "Attack on Titan" went for more than a year without anyone attacking any Titans. Watching the anime or reading the manga in trades, you know things are getting back to the main action soon enough, so you can enjoy the ride until then. But reading it monthly, there was no way of knowing how anything would pay out or when they'd actually get to the loving basement. A chapter on how the newspaper business works inside the walls, or a full arc for the corrupt merchant Mikasa threatened back in the battle for Trost? Great as part of a wider experience. Incredibly frustrating when it's all you get for the month.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

I mean, reading Uprising all at once, it flows pretty well. There's also a lot of good character stuff that got cut, some of which (like the Eren and Historia interactions) is pretty clearly going to be important come endgame. Uprising is the arc where Eren finally comes together as a character, it builds up the supporting cast and gives them plenty to do, it shows the world, all kinds of good stuff. The anime loses some of that, even if the cuts were probably the right call with the resources available.

I'd say the problem with the manga arc is less that it's bad, and more that it...

Well, a manga called "Attack on Titan" went for more than a year without anyone attacking any Titans. Watching the anime or reading the manga in trades, you know things are getting back to the main action soon enough, so you can enjoy the ride until then. But reading it monthly, there was no way of knowing how anything would pay out or when they'd actually get to the loving basement. A chapter on how the newspaper business works inside the walls, or a full arc for the corrupt merchant Mikasa threatened back in the battle for Trost? Great as part of a wider experience. Incredibly frustrating when it's all you get for the month.

Yeah, this is true. Which is why I think stuff has gone over better in the anime. All that stuff comes out in quick succession and is also streamlined to an extent.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Thinking/hoping they'll put some of the cut Eren+Historia stuff into season 4.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

bees x1000 posted:

Thinking/hoping they'll put some of the cut Eren+Historia stuff into season 4.

I think we’ll be lucky if we don’t get anything post timeskip cut. There is just so much to cover and it’s all important, trying to cram it all into two cours seems impossible, even with some added episodes

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
How fitting they choose to premiere on loving Pearl Harbor day.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Asuron posted:

I think we’ll be lucky if we don’t get anything post timeskip cut. There is just so much to cover and it’s all important, trying to cram it all into two cours seems impossible, even with some added episodes

Yeah, the anime got in enough Historia and Eren moments for the fourth season to make sense, especially with Isayama sitting in on recording to make sure all the lines played out like he needed them to. It'd be nice to have more, but... well, with the estimated lengths, everything should just fit without being too crammed. Trying to fit in scenes from earlier in the manga would make a difficult job even harder with limited benefit.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
new chapter, lovely quality so I bet a better version will appear relatively quickly

well, couldn't say it plainer that there's no "just talk it out" solution to the rumbling, it's kill him or let him do it

also, I bet the bombing fleet will be very effective against the rumbling, but ultimately just won't be able to handle the immense amount of colossal titans and the resupply depot will get flattened, leaving them stranded and useless

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Annie's gonna loving fly and possibly also get Founding Titan powers if she chows down on a piece of Eren. The loving bird in her conversation with Armin, the fact that I've jokingly called her "Big Bird" to go along with "Bert" and "Ernie"... It's happening, man. Attack on Sesame Street is coming out in full force.
People are going to call the Winged Titan thing an asspull, even though it literally addresses several dangling questions, including why the Female Titan doesn't have a special trait, why there were depictions of like Wolf and Dragon Beast Titans, and why Rod Reiss had samples of armored and colossal spinal fluid that altered himself and Eren.

Beefstew fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Oct 7, 2020

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

What's Gabi going to do? Sniper position on a flying titan or go down with the ship?

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

bees x1000 posted:

What's Gabi going to do? Sniper position on a flying titan or go down with the ship?

SNIPER POSITION ON A FLYING TITAN.
Hahaha, she's gonna blow Eren's head off a second time.

Beefstew fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Oct 7, 2020

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
There's literally no way for these people to win that isn't "Eren is just sad and lets them".

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Mulva posted:

There's literally no way for these people to win that isn't "Eren is just sad and lets them".

For real, outside of Mikasa and Levi are any of them even good enough to do anything? Turning into a titan seems like a hindrance, it just makes it easier for the giant titans to grab them. If they all just jump onto Eren from air he can just use the warhammer titan powers to get them pretty easily.

That not even getting into the fact that Ymir is helping him and nothing has shown that killing him should stop the Rumbling. Eren's dad killing the royal family didn't wake them up in the wall.

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Oct 7, 2020

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Eren is out here playing the "I give you the freedom to try" card when it is nearly guaranteed that he knows the outcome. I would be shocked if he hasn't already seen the future in someone's memory.

I am 99% certain that Mikasa is going to refuse to fight Eren at a critical juncture - an existential victory over his enduring command for her to TATAKAE by proving once for all she isn't his slave - but in doing so will ensure his victory.

This chapter has really forwarded the idea that Ymir is evil (in as much as anyone is evil in this series) and the Rumbling is her indiscriminate revenge on the world. Her appearance in the PATHS this chapter presents her as Eren's equal partner. Now I think that the brief glimpse of her watching Ramzi get crushed wasn't her regretting things but rather her relishing in it. If I wasn't aware that the manga is nearly over, I'd be tempted to think that once the Rumbling is complete, she'll turn the Colossal Titans around and trample Paradis as well, killing everyone out of sheer spite. As is, I just don't think there's enough time.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ethiser posted:

For real, outside of Mikasa and Levi are any of them even good enough to do anything? Turning into a titan seems like a hindrance, it just makes it easier for the giant titans to grab them. If they all just jump onto Eren from air he can just use the warhammer titan powers to get them pretty easily.

Armin could clear some space with a colossal explosion, at least.

Overall, this really feels like Eren's still leaning hard into a false binary. His friends can kill him, or they can let the world be destroyed. Both options suck, but he can't stop. He wants to destroy the world for Paradis. Armin wants to save the world. It's the fated showdown between the two leads, for all the marbles, and...

Wait.

Wait.

Time out.

Weren't there three leads?

Pretty weird with only two options, right?

Eren saves Ymir.

Armin saves the world.

Which leaves Mikasa in position to finally do what she's been trying to do since she was nine. Save her little brother, just like he saved her.

You don't usually present an A-or-B like this one unless it's a feint so the audience doesn't see all the obvious groundwork for C.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Eren talks about fighting but I don't see it. I feel like he's made his choices and has gone on autopilot: destroy the world for Paradise, and he's given his friends their freedom to do what they think is best. Seems to me like he won't do anything to protect himself from them.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Eren's skellipede form remains deeply unsettling

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Am I the only one who doesn't have a problem with the Flying Titan? It seems to have driven the fanbase insane. I definitely think it could've been introduced better (like, actually seeing Falco's dream, instead of "oh, by the way", but in addition to being pretty thematically relevant, this poo poo was set up by Rod Reiss's magic titan potion, the artistic depictions of other types of Beast Titans, the Female Titans lack of a specific ability beyond "all-around", etc. I'm just like, "gently caress yeah, give me Falco and Annie dropkicking Eren while Gabi blasts his head with a sniper rifle AGAIN."

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I mean they can have whatever the gently caress they want, none of them matter at this point. Give their Titans laser eyes, it'd be just as irrelevant in the end.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Yeeeeaaaaahhhh... they can't kill Eren unless he allows them to, and should they manage that there's no guarantee it'd stop the rumbling.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Beefstew posted:

Am I the only one who doesn't have a problem with [spoiler]the Flying Titan?

Does anyone have that joke picture Isayama Hajime made a while back that was "what if the entire survey team had titan forms" because that featured a winged titan and I'm thinking that might have been more of a sly joke than was realized.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Slamming the This Is God Emperor of Dune button every month this year and I see no signs of stopping

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Schwarzwald posted:

Does anyone have that joke picture Isayama Hajime made a while back that was "what if the entire survey team had titan forms" because that featured a winged titan and I'm thinking that might have been more of a sly joke than was realized.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Eej posted:

Slamming the This Is God Emperor of Dune button every month this year and I see no signs of stopping

Are the giant titans his sandtrout skin in this?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

HERE WE GO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I still don't know what kills me more between Armin and Connie.