Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Thom12255 posted:

Shulkers have 24 slots, all of which can hold 64 items.

Bundles have multiple slots but the total items that can be in one bundle can be no more than 64. So they are helpful to free up slots in your own inventory such as if you had 5 slots of 5 dirt, 15 stone, etc you just put them in a bundle and now you are just using one of your inventory slots instead of multiple.

I don't follow this but I assume you can get them without going to The End, which is a huge plus for me. I have never been to the end in a fully-survival game, much less had a shulker box or an elytra for that matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

TheDK posted:

I don't follow this but I assume you can get them without going to The End, which is a huge plus for me. I have never been to the end in a fully-survival game, much less had a shulker box or an elytra for that matter.

Shulkers can hold 24 slots of 64 items.
Bundles can hold 1 slot of 64 items, regardless of type.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
the warden in the video that two shot that guy? ya that guy was wearing full enchanted netherite apparently :stare:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
So let's see...
Copper ore, bundled items, better cave generation, glow squids, wardens, underground biomes (lush, lava, etc), stalactites and stalagmites (natural mob-killing spikes are now vanilla!), sensor blocks and remote redstone signal receivers, mountain goats, tomatoes, tomato mobs, crystals and crystal caves, archaeology, and axolotls.
It sounds like the best update in years. Just a shame we won't see it till Summer 2021.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Vib Rib posted:

Just a shame we won't see it till Summer 2021.

Is this something they've said or is this just good old fashioned pessimism?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Kamrat posted:

Is this something they've said or is this just good old fashioned pessimism?
It's what they said.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off
That sucks, I don't get why this game is so slow when it comes to updates, I mean it's making gently caress you money it could afford some more coders

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Kamrat posted:

That sucks, I don't get why this game is so slow when it comes to updates, I mean it's making gently caress you money it could afford some more coders

more coders =/= faster thing is like loving programming 101

It's w/e though. They'll never keep up with hobbyists on this poo poo because a hobbyist can work on something like this for extended hours as they please, I'm not gonna ask Mojang to crunch for dumb blocks

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off
Couldn't they get things done a bit faster with more people though, I mean theres other more complex games out there that doesn't make nearly as much money that push out big updates a lot faster.

And yeah, I'm not asking anyone to crunch. I even think pushing people to crunch should be illegal

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Kamrat posted:

Couldn't they get things done a bit faster with more people though, I mean theres other more complex games out there that doesn't make nearly as much money that push out big updates a lot faster.

And yeah, I'm not asking anyone to crunch. I even think pushing people to crunch should be illegal

I mean, yeah maybe but like..why really?

It isn't like MS -couldn't- light a fire under their rear end for more content faster, but there is clearly no incentive to push Mojang to worker faster.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Honestly I think MS trusts Mojang to do it's thing with the game. Probably the only thing I'd imagine is MS wishes they could kill off the Java version finally. They've slowly been hiding links and mentions to it away over time.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
It’s not like they have a history of having 6+ months worth of publicly available snapshots and pre releases that in general are quite stable. Maybe someday.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
It is not possible for software mega giant Microsoft to scale a coding project larger with more personnel, or for them to manage a bigger organized group of sprint teams. Such discoveries are unknown to them, and they lack resources.

uncertainty
Aug 8, 2011

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Shulkers can hold 24 slots of 64 items.
Bundles can hold 1 slot of 64 items, regardless of type.

Maybe I'm missing something, but how would a bundle then be better than just having the stack of 64 in your inventory?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

uncertainty posted:

Maybe I'm missing something, but how would a bundle then be better than just having the stack of 64 in your inventory?

You can stuff 64 books in a bundle.

Edit: You can also combine different items in a bundle to equal a stack. 32 cobble 16 flowers 8 swords and 8 gold can go into a single bundle effectively making a stack. Then you can throw that bundle in a shulker.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Oct 4, 2020

uncertainty
Aug 8, 2011

ratbert90 posted:

You can stuff 64 books in a bundle.

Edit: You can also combine different items in a bundle to equal a stack. 32 cobble 16 flowers 8 swords and 8 gold can go into a single bundle effectively making a stack.

Aah cool, that makes sense, ty!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Disappointing Pie posted:

Honestly I think MS trusts Mojang to do it's thing with the game. Probably the only thing I'd imagine is MS wishes they could kill off the Java version finally. They've slowly been hiding links and mentions to it away over time.

If that were really what they wanted they should be throwing way more resources into a super-comprehensive modding and scripting API, that's what's keeping Java alive.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I think availability and ease of making is (potentially) the real upside to Bundles. Of course, that assumes you can craft them, or if they're treasure, that they're not too uncommon.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
It should also be noted that they have been hiring new devs for the Mojang/Java team, one of them was presenting stuff for the Caves and Cliff update and used to be a dev for the Aether Mod.

From the sound of it, it looks like their current cycle is based around figuring out everything they want to add for a new update, this apparently includes creating concept art to be sent off to their artists for new models and textures and then coding everything. I'd rather they take their time making a good update instead of trying to cram out something fast but lackluster.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Yep, and again, the snapshots are usually very stable and you effectively will be playing the update for 6 months before it’s actually out.

Raccoonboy
May 31, 2011
did they ever release the biome that got voted for last year

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
How do these updates work? If I started a map now, will I need to start a new one later next year to get the new stuff?

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

How do these updates work? If I started a map now, will I need to start a new one later next year to get the new stuff?

You would have to go somewhere previously unloaded to get new terrain generation. You shouldn't need to start a new map though.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Trojan Kaiju posted:

You would have to go somewhere previously unloaded to get new terrain generation. You shouldn't need to start a new map though.

Might depend on this new update though, if they decide to go with the cubic chunk stuff they experimented last update, since snippets of what they were showing off made the underground look *much* deeper than the current world generation has.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Vib Rib posted:

Just a shame we won't see it till Summer 2021.
Crap. I was seriously thinking of resurrecting my server for this update.

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

I'm a man that loves the simple things. Sunhats. Boba. Dresses.

I like the Bundles, but I hope they change how they display what's in them. Hopefully something more like the Shulker Box Tooltips mod that Xisuma uses.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I've been doing some googling, but couldn't find an answer, sorry if this is obvious - can you turn off cow moos? I built a cow crusher too close to some other stuff and they moo like crazy. I have hundreds of hours in minecraft but haven't built anything more complex than a small log house until last week

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxDVdYRBe7E

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat

big cummers ONLY posted:

I've been doing some googling, but couldn't find an answer, sorry if this is obvious - can you turn off cow moos? I built a cow crusher too close to some other stuff and they moo like crazy. I have hundreds of hours in minecraft but haven't built anything more complex than a small log house until last week

Vanilla Tweaks or Bedrock Vanilla Tweaks have quieter cows in the resource packs section.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

BrainMeats posted:

Vanilla Tweaks or Bedrock Vanilla Tweaks have quieter cows in the resource packs section.

Thanks! And some of these look pretty cool, I might play around with some more of these.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
For a game about gathering and crafting Minecraft sure does have a garbo inventory system, huh.

Like the Bundles feel like an amazing quality of like improvement but it's also kind of astounding that the game has been around for so long and the only other improvement to the inventory system was when they relaxed the stack limit on food items iirc?

I haven't been following development for a while though, shulker boxes sound like a good idea too but it sucks that they're endgame stuff. Might have to creative mode some in next time I start a fresh world.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
People probably ask this a lot but I just noticed that my minecraft java edition is not 'the minecraft' any more, and now it's the windows 10 edition that gets upgrades. And there was an offer where if you bought your java edition more than 2 years ago you could get the windows 10 version free, which is expired. I thought I had done <something> like that but I don't see any emails and if I log into minecraft.net all I can do is buy the windows 10 edition.

So if there's no way for me to get it free, is there any point in buying the master collection vs the starter collection?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Ostensibly if you bought in when Minecraft was in alpha you get all future versions free forever, so if your purchase goes back that far you may still be able to get a modern version key

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
" May 17, 2011, 4:54 PM
to me

Hi ***********,
Thank you for purchasing Minecraft!"

Alpha lasted from June 30 to December 3, 2010, and Beta lasted from December 20, 2010, all the way through to November 11, 2011. Looks Like I missed that one by half a year, too!

Thanks for that tip, though. Close-ish!

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Also the Java version is still getting the same updates as the Windows version.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

redreader posted:

People probably ask this a lot but I just noticed that my minecraft java edition is not 'the minecraft' any more, and now it's the windows 10 edition that gets upgrades. And there was an offer where if you bought your java edition more than 2 years ago you could get the windows 10 version free, which is expired. I thought I had done <something> like that but I don't see any emails and if I log into minecraft.net all I can do is buy the windows 10 edition.

So if there's no way for me to get it free, is there any point in buying the master collection vs the starter collection?
Through Terraria's development, as more items were added, chests doubled their capacity and inventories had an extra row of space added. You were also given access to dimensional boxes that contained unique inventories, like ender chests, but in multiple flavors and frequently portable. Autosort and quick deposit options were added to chests. And perhaps most importantly of all, in my opinion, you were given a button that would quickly distribute your entire inventory across nearby chests based on how you'd already sorted them, making it way easier to drop off your loot after an expedition.
Minecraft's total number of obtainable items/blocks is now over 1,000, whereas back when the inventory was first added, it was something like... I dunno, 25? 30? And that's including the colored wool variants.
But we're only just now getting a cave generation improvement so old systems clearly have a lot of inertia.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
So to be clear, the Java version will get ray-tracing added and all future updates? I'm not sure when that was or will be officially released, I saw ray-tracing was in some beta version earlier this year.

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat
Ray tracing is only in an Nvidia sponsored beta version of the Windows 10 Bedrock version. It's not for the main release of Bedrock or Java editions.

They've been pushing for feature parity between Bedrock and Java and I think they're mostly the same at this point other than some redstone quirks. Java is going to be way more open to modding though. Including some ray tracing mods probably.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

redreader posted:

So to be clear, the Java version will get ray-tracing added and all future updates? I'm not sure when that was or will be officially released, I saw ray-tracing was in some beta version earlier this year.

Java will continue to get all expansions and updates as the normal windows version. However; Java runs in OpenGL and Ray tracing is for directx only. That being said, if it’s that important to you, there are some excellent shaders for the Java edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm so confused by the Java vs Bedrock thing and all my google searches come up with jumbled information and nothing is clear.

I guess the main question is whether or not the "not Java" version is going to see modders migrate or not because mods are all I care about.