Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
3. Usopp versus Luffy.
2. Usopp burns the flag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I feel like we should split humour from serious, because my god. Just as a mercy, this show has too much good stuff from both, we need to cheat in another 3 entries.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Best three comedy moments:

1) Duval

2) Chopper asking Sogeking for an autograph

3)”What’s 108 times 2?”
“216.”
“... That’s too hard to say.”

Cat Machine fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Oct 3, 2020

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
1. “Franky, I don’t want you to say a single word while you’re in Chopper’s body”

2. “Ahh donuts!!, Sweet, delicious donuts!’”

3. Zoro’s cake pose

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

i am tim! posted:

I feel like we should split humour from serious, because my god. Just as a mercy, this show has too much good stuff from both, we need to cheat in another 3 entries.

Imho we should just disqualify the top six answers and hold the poll again in a week when the thread goes to poo poo.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

1.) Luffy ringing the golden bell (skypeiea had so many emotional highs)

2.) Pirate docking/ refusal

3.) Zoro deciding to cut off his legs, then giving up and trying to find a cool pose to be waxed into eternity

Honorable mentions: Remember my muggy ball?, I'm already negative, law realizing he likes bantering with the crew

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
lol oda is close to a comedic genius as well which is frustrating. he's too loving talented its annoying someone can be so good

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Wait, if we're inside the whale then why are there clouds? Oh I painted them, it's a hobby of mine.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Nikumatic posted:

3. Usopp versus Luffy.
2. Usopp burns the flag.

:same:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

"I don't like bread!" - Trafalgar D. Water Law

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Just read the first chapter of Boichi's Ace manga, and it's interesting that it brought back an aspect of early One Piece that always struck me as a plot hole in retrospect: people in East Blue doubt the existence of a bunch of things you'd expect to be mentioned in the newspapers, etc. In this case, it's the existence of giants that's considered dubious, even though there are giants who are Vice Admirals.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Nikumatic posted:

3. Usopp versus Luffy.
2. Usopp burns the flag.

Man, I'm not really a fan of how every move he has is just using plants now. It doesn't really feel very creative and clashes with his previous style. The dials were a great additions to his toolkit that still complemented everything he used, but the plants have pretty much just taken over everything but the slingshot.

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind

Terror Sweat posted:

Man, I'm not really a fan of how every move he has is just using plants now. It doesn't really feel very creative and clashes with his previous style. The dials were a great additions to his toolkit that still complemented everything he used, but the plants have pretty much just taken over everything but the slingshot.

the problem with the plants is he pulls random ones out of nowhere, with his previous style (and dials) we at least knew the limitations of his ammo was mostly realistic in some fashion or we outright knew what they were. we saw what dials could do beforehand, so seeing him use them for the first time meant we kinda knew what his limitations were.

we really don't know what pop greens cant do, which we can with most other protagonist powers -- or at least the surprises make sense.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Silver2195 posted:

Just read the first chapter of Boichi's Ace manga, and it's interesting that it brought back an aspect of early One Piece that always struck me as a plot hole in retrospect: people in East Blue doubt the existence of a bunch of things you'd expect to be mentioned in the newspapers, etc. In this case, it's the existence of giants that's considered dubious, even though there are giants who are Vice Admirals.
I think the whole ocean is considered really backwater and uneducated which is why there's a bunch of people who couldn't cut it on the grand line coming back to the weakest ocean because there's less competition at carving out your own territory without much fear of Marines or rookie pirates to take you down

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
But in contrast nami got the coolest and most organic power up next to gear two itself

Edit: thinking it over nami is one of the craziest glass cannons in the entire manga now lmfao

I assume usopp’s powers will at least hit a limit if he fights here, usopp has more panels than zoro and I don’t think oda will leave off on some ‘Batman gadget belt that can pull anything that he needs’ power set that it’s currently on (and at least he used cool dial thrusters in the sugar fight)

drjuggalo fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 4, 2020

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

drjuggalo posted:

But in contrast nami got the coolest and most organic power up next to gear two itself

I assume usopp’s powers will at least hit a limit if he fights here, usopp has more panels than zoro and I don’t think oda will leave off on some ‘Batman gadget belt that can pull anything that he needs’ power set that it’s currently on (and at least he used cool dial thrusters in the sugar fight)
It's the reason why Ussop is the best/worst. We still don't really know exactly what he can do because his fighting style is just "Trickster" or "Batman" so he could be holding plant seeds that could do literally anything

Which seems like something Franky would be doing too since he's a robot that could build anything into himself but just chose to make giant robots

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
The daruma fight ends with him touching that plant wolf’s nose (and it seems to be a dial that did it on re-read) and sugars fight had cool poo poo like watering his slingshot/feeding it rubble to make it big. There’s a few things a bit silly about it like the plant boat but usopp had a pretty big variety of stuff pre time skip too, I feel(hope) this fight/arc will define his power set more clearly similar to Hawkins/apoo

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

A good Usopp fight could absolutely revolve around a new power, as long as that power is introduced at the start of the fight so we get a good sense of what it can and cannot do. It doesn't really matter if the power isn't set up (Enies Lobby's fights are near-universally excellent and most of them involve new powers that are completely unforeshadowed) so long as the fight itself makes the rules of whatever the new power is clear (which Enies Lobby didn't even always do, what the gently caress even is Zoro's Asura).

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Arist posted:

what the gently caress even is Zoro's Asura.

He just attacks while getting lost in three directions at once.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Libra posted:

ya i'll accept that

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Libra posted:

Lol

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

akainu killing ace and punching luffy and just that whole chunk of time where' hes wilding out and Having A Real One is a big moment for me
bon clays goodbye though the whole impel down arc is my fave
luffys reaction to seeing sabo

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:
I wouldn't count it in my top three, but an underrated moment I really like is when Sanji feeds Gin. Not just for the insight into Sanji's character, but Luffy's as well. The main factor he uses to decide his cook isn't how well he can fight or even how good his food tastes, it's "If someone is hungry then I feed them".

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Sub Harrison posted:

Wait, if we're inside the whale then why are there clouds? Oh I painted them, it's a hobby of mine.
"If you shoot, someone will die."
"Oh yeah?"
"Yeah."
"..."
"Me."

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
1. Luffy vs Blackbeard in Impel Down rules so hard. It gives us a teaser of what's eventually going to happen down the line with both of them finding the other difficult to handle. The lead in panel with Blackbeard looming and Luffy seething with rage is my favorite spread in One Piece, even more than the other Blackbeard panel everyone loves

2. Blackbeard's pirate party island where Blackbeard looks like satan himself.

3. Sengoku just lightning quick busting out that he's a loving Buddha statue like it's no big deal. That moment doesn't get the love I feel it deserves.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

It's been a bit since I've checked in, my reading pace has slowed since I finished Alabasta and I'm almost around chapter 300. Luffy and Kami are currently fighting on the ruins of a city of gold. Starting this was still a pro move but I probably shouldn't have read 200ish chapters in two weeks

Edit: I'm keeping my uninterested friends updated in discord so there were a couple messages that went something along the lines of

"I should go to bed but Luffy is about to fight an electric man and I'm sure that's gonna go poorly because Luffy is rubber"

"I TOLD YOU IT WOULDNT WORK BECAUSE HE WAS RUBBER"

Len fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Oct 5, 2020

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Len posted:

It's been a bit since I've checked in, my reading pace has slowed since I finished Alabasta and I'm almost around chapter 300. Luffy and Kami are currently fighting on the ruins of a city of gold. Starting this was still a pro move but I probably shouldn't have read 200ish chapters in two weeks

Edit: I'm keeping my uninterested friends updated in discord so there were a couple messages that went something along the lines of

"I should go to bed but Luffy is about to fight an electric man and I'm sure that's gonna go poorly because Luffy is rubber"

:allears: I love when someone starts to read the series for the first time. :justpost: I love seeing people's early speculation when they start reading.

Similar to you, a YouTuber that almost exclusively covered Dragon Ball started blind too, and it's kind fun to compare what you thought vs what he thought once you finish arcs up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9E0ay65Ue4

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Len posted:

Luffy vs Enel is one of those things that was spoiled through cultural osmosis but goddam is Enelface still some good poo poo.

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind
i dont remember a lot of my first read of one piece, but enelface is definitely a thing i remember cackling about while reading absolute garbage tier scans off of like some msn.net gallery

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'm not sure I know what enelface is

Edit: oh that, I've never seen that as a meme before

Len fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 5, 2020

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
A lot of my memorable scenes have already been brought up, so I won't rehash on those. My top moment since the timeskip, and probably Top 3 in the series as a whole, is the reveal of One Piece's existence and the naming of the island Laugh Tale.

"Roger just laughed."

One Piece is chock full of great moments. Hype stuff (Nothing happened, Luffy punching out the Celestial Dragon, Sogeking setting fire to the World Government flag), funny stuff (Robin refusing to join Franky and Ussop and Chopper in their transformation), moving stuff (any tragic backstory but especially Brook's, Going Merry's funeral, Ace's death), and so on. This scene is what I call a shook moment cause drat it had me fuckin' shook. Shook moments are the kinda moments that send a shiver up your spine at the utter magnitude of the reveal. It's the poo poo that utterly wows you, not out of badassery but because of the knowledge that it is a thing. Something like Big Mom's backstory, for instance. That's another shook moment.

I still remember reading the scans, following Roger's travels, peaking with him finally reaching the treasure and being crowned the King of Pirates, seeing the rest of the world react to his feats, and then finally ending up on a two-page spread of Roger just laughing so hard he was crying. It's such a simple picture, with just three words to narrate, but there's so much mystery and power contained within that image. It stokes the flames of curiosity about what One Piece is even more. Why could the Roger Pirates do nothing but laugh till they cried? What did they see in there? Rayleigh said that the crew didn't full understand everything because they weren't scholars like those of Ohara, but even then these hardened pirates were greatly affected by what they saw.

It's all the more powerful cause Roger knew that whatever happened, it wasn't going to happen in his lifetime. He was running out of time to live, and even notes that he was too early (Shirahoshi wasn't born yet). How must it have felt for him to travel all around the world, to find the world's greatest treasure, only to know that he'd never truly get it, that he'd have to entrust it to the next generation. And, of course, the added tragedy of Roger claiming his son will claim it, when the readers know that Ace died a long time ago in real life.

The naming of the island right afterwards is also a big loving whammy. I remember back when people learned Raftel was actually Laugh Tale, they were dismayed and loving hated how goofy it sounded. I wasn't that big a fan either. But once we got to Chapter 967 and saw all that, I was like, drat, this loving makes sense, wow, Oda, you did it again you madman, you made me love the name LAUGH TALE.

I think this is helped by how excellent the flashback was with regards to finally showing us a deeper glimpse of the legendary figures of One Piece. Cause until now, we'd mainly only see Roger the myth, the legendary Pirate King, his face hidden in shadows for the most part. We saw him smile in the face of death, we heard how he murdered a man's crew, and we learned how he'd defeated the most dangerous pirate crew to have ever existed in the past. We learned that he was willing to leave his only son in the hands of one of his greatest rivals, and discovered that sometimes the man just got on by with pure luck. The flashback showed us Roger the man, the story of a dude just traveling with mates to enjoy adventuring before his time ran out, the guy who could be goofy yet philosophical, who enjoyed fame but was more than capable of being humble.

I know a lot of this is just overthinking and rambling on my part, but I think that's part of the reason why I like this moment so much. It just fills me with so much questions and a desire to know more about the world of One Piece and its characters.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
Can’t be overthinking when oda himself put so much thought into it too, that ‘rambling’ you call it is just a good dissection post to me (that I really enjoyed).

Edit: gets me thinking as to why shanks didn’t give the strawhat to ace when Roger himself thought ace was gonna be the next pirate king (but I assume it’s tied to luffy’s ability to ‘become friends with anyone’)

drjuggalo fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Oct 5, 2020

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't think Shanks ever knew of Ace's existence till way later, and by the time they'd met he'd already entrusted the hat to Luffy anyways.

Ace wasn't born (or even conceived, I think) until after Roger left his crew, if I recall.

Also Ace's motivation was fundamentally different from Luffy's, in that Ace's journey was about proving himself for the most part, I feel. Which is why Ace initially went for Whitebeard's head.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Silver2195 posted:

I mean I don't think those Giant Vice Admirals are visiting East Blue anytime soon. I don't think most people in Luffy's hometown even recognize how legendary a figure Garp is, and Garp's not the type to really brag about his accomplishments. Probably more apt to play it down.

"Hey Garp, what'd you do today?"
"Oh, nothing, I just punched some dude really hard in the head."

[Baseless Theorizing]
I think the government's information suppression also might have to do with that. East Blue is considered the weakest part of the world, but paradoxically, it's also birthed some of the world's most infamous people like Garp and Dragon. In order to keep up East Blue's status as the symbol of peace, the government might go an extra step in preventing people from finding out about things. It's not out of the line to think this, since they loving genocided an island just to prevent the knowledge of Ohara from spreading.

East Blue's peaceful nature also probably contributes to a lack of knowledge. Most people don't travel, and what we've seen of East Blue suggests that it's mainly full of village/town-level islands, with little technological progress. So information isn't really spread reliably. Which contributes to rumors being magnified and spread, like how Devil Fruits don't actually exist or how Arlong is supposedly equals with Jimbei.
[/Baseless Theorizing]

Most pirates wouldn't really settle for East Blue either. The ones who did were Buggy (who is constantly trying to hide his status due to his cowardice), Crow (who specifically wanted to get away from the pirating business), Don Krieg (who only stopped by East Blue because his crew got wrecked by Mihawk and wanted Zeff's notes so he could challenge the Grand Line again), and Arlong (who specifically wanted a place where he could lay low). Only Krieg wanted to leave, the rest were just fine hiding under the government's eye, which marks them apart from the typical pirate, who wants to go forward in a search for fame, power, and wealth. Sure, there are the New Pirates that (post timeskip) Bellami talked about, but the New Pirates turned out to be jack poo poo and Bellami got a long stronger once he wisened up from that nonsense.

The level of Marines are pretty weak too, Garp aside (and Garp didn't really live in East Blue since he was a Vice Admiral and had Vice Admiral poo poo to do most of the time). This is cause the WG didn't really have the resources to spare, since it had to deal with the strong pirates in the Grand Line and whatnot. We had Morgan (a dude whose claim to fame was being hypnotized into capturing Claw's scapegoat after Claw murdered the rest of his crew), Nezumi (a corrupt Marine officer with no fighting ability), Fullbody (technically not weak, dude was just out of his punching level fighting Sanji), and Prinprin (the genius who decided to attack Fishmen while in a boat at sea).

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh yeah East Blue also had Smoker in Logue Town who was actually strong + competent and saw immediate results, but Logue Town is like the pirate equivalent of a historical tourist site so people there probably know better than most.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Less of a moment and more of an appreciation for the character of Oden.

His larger than life personality, the loyalty he inspires, the adventure he got to have and his untimely end was a joy to read start to finish. Plus his flashback has one of the most hype scenes, Roger vs Whitebeard.

Asuron fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Oct 5, 2020

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

RealFoxy posted:

:allears: I love when someone starts to read the series for the first time. :justpost: I love seeing people's early speculation when they start reading.

Well that's what I did over the past couple of months. I have been aware of One Piece for years but being that the Shonen Jump digital subscription has the entire series to read I figured it was a good way to pass time while my job didn't exist due to COVID.

As being an old shonen manga fan since the 70s, this really is peak stuff. I recently tried to do some catch up on Dragon Ball (I followed the original manga back in the day, so I haven't read any since Z ended in, what, 1991 or so?) and found that it got to be TOO over the top, being that there were multiple universes that started being destroyed. Eh. Dragon Ball was better when it was funny. But OP keeps the thrills going by keeping the threats on a relatable level, having characters that are simply people that are interacting with these wild pirates and actually being threatened by the villains. And man, the villains are really loving easy to hate; they are SUCH pieces of poo poo it's amazing.

My only real question is: how much time has passed since the first chapter? I figured it was at least 2 or 3 years before the 2 year time jump, and at least a year or so since then. It seems rather vague.

I'm totally team Chopper.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The entire first part takes place within one year.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Well that's what I did over the past couple of months. I have been aware of One Piece for years but being that the Shonen Jump digital subscription has the entire series to read I figured it was a good way to pass time while my job didn't exist due to COVID.

As being an old shonen manga fan since the 70s, this really is peak stuff. I recently tried to do some catch up on Dragon Ball (I followed the original manga back in the day, so I haven't read any since Z ended in, what, 1991 or so?) and found that it got to be TOO over the top, being that there were multiple universes that started being destroyed. Eh. Dragon Ball was better when it was funny. But OP keeps the thrills going by keeping the threats on a relatable level, having characters that are simply people that are interacting with these wild pirates and actually being threatened by the villains. And man, the villains are really loving easy to hate; they are SUCH pieces of poo poo it's amazing.

My only real question is: how much time has passed since the first chapter? I figured it was at least 2 or 3 years before the 2 year time jump, and at least a year or so since then. It seems rather vague.

I'm totally team Chopper.

My understanding with Dragonball Z Super (it that’s what you’re referring to) is that the anime takes the piss a lot more with oldschool slapstick humor, like “that time they go to the village from Dr. Slump and Vegeta gets owned by a gag manga character” so maybe look into that.

With One Piece, iirc time works on cartoon logic where time doesn’t pass unless it’s explicitly stated X amount of days/weeks/months passed. I think it’s about six months between Luffy sailing off on his shitass canoe and the skip, and most of the New World has taken place over like a month or two I think.

And I’m a team Zoro man but there are no real bad Strawhats (except maybe Nami) and Chopper is a very good and adorable young man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Waffleman_ posted:

The entire first part takes place within one year.

I think the general ballpark that fan calculations have come up with is that everything up to the timeskip took place over the course of like four months?