Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

How Wonderful! posted:

Excuse me, BSS is like a velvet box full of angels and sugar.

I'm the dead tree the box was made out of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I won’t miss AMC or whatever but I’ll miss seeing old movies on 35mm at places like the New Beverly, the Egyptian, the Vista, etc. Not all movie theaters are corporate owned blockbuster slaughterhouses

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Arist posted:

Movie theaters are good, what the gently caress

The Alamo Drafthouse that opened here is good. But it's also thirty minutes out of the city and will almost certainly not open back up.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
It is truly wild to me to see so many people bagging on movie theaters in this thread! Honestly makes me kinda sad! There is nothing like watching a good movie in a good movie theater, and you will 100% get so much more from a film if you’re watching it on the big screen and not laying on your couch in your living room. Like, wtf? Never going to see a movie in theaters again would be crushing to me.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Conrad_Birdie posted:

It is truly wild to me to see so many people bagging on movie theaters in this thread! Honestly makes me kinda sad! There is nothing like watching a good movie in a good movie theater, and you will 100% get so much more from a film if you’re watching it on the big screen and not laying on your couch in your living room. Like, wtf? Never going to see a movie in theaters again would be crushing to me.

Yeah but this is the comics movie thread, so watching good movies doesn't apply.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Vince MechMahon posted:

No kids, but would gladly throw in $10 to watch Batman with my roommates. That's what it would have cost us each for tickets anyway. Maybe you should get some friends. Downloading an app isn't an ordeal.

It's a pandemic. I'm not allowed to watch things with my friends.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

I get a thrill about destroying my body with Buncha Crunch and Dr. Pepper in a public space but in the dark so nobody is aware. That's what I'm missing about the theaters being closed.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Rhyno posted:

I'm the dead tree the box was made out of

Rhyno in this metaphor you're a sweet little bonbon and you know it!

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Yeah, I agree. Maybe there are elements of big chain theaters that I won't miss but so many of my best memories involve movie theaters and the interplay between movies as a medium and theaters as a kind of space. I used to live in a little town with not much to do, with a great one-screen indie theater. I used to go to the matinee every day after work just for something to do, I got such an education in art-house cinema. It was actually the movie theater that was used for the scene in The Blob where everybody is running out in terror, so every Summer they had a "Blob-fest" to commemorate it (it was that small of a town) and I really fondly remember being caught off-guard one year on a date when we exited into the lobby and were met by a dozen or so entrants into the Steve McQueen look-alike contest. Later on I volunteered there a bunch and I learned so, so much about this and that.

I loved that place to the max and I'm happy to discover just now that it's still doing well and has expanded a little and is doing a bunch of virtual screenings and things. I love movie theaters.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Maybe I’m just making assumptions, but I think a lot of the anti-theater sentiment comes from only having access to giant chain multiplexes, which do genuinely suck. Small theaters are the best, the kind of little independent and small chain places that do midnight showings of old flicks and oddities that you’d never see in an AMC or Cinemark. Before the pandemic my friends and I would go to the theater on a weekly basis and I miss it dearly. There’s nothing like seeing a good movie on a big screen with a good audience and VOD will never be able to replicate or replace that.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

How Wonderful! posted:

I used to live in a little town with not much to do, with a great one-screen indie theater. I used to go to the matinee every day after work just for something to do, I got such an education in art-house cinema. It was actually the movie theater that was used for the scene in The Blob where everybody is running out in terror, so every Summer they had a "Blob-fest" to commemorate it (it was that small of a town) and I really fondly remember being caught off-guard one year on a date when we exited into the lobby and were met by a dozen or so entrants into the Steve McQueen look-alike contest. Later on I volunteered there a bunch and I learned so, so much about this and that.

I loved that place to the max and I'm happy to discover just now that it's still doing well and has expanded a little and is doing a bunch of virtual screenings and things. I love movie theaters.

That's awesome! I volunteered at a theatre like that before COVID, and I love it. I think they're doing ok enough, they're also doing virtual screenings, but I miss going in and actually helping out and all that. I should probably throw them a couple bucks, but I'm not making any money any more, unfortunately.

I miss my little theatre. Great people, great place.

Edit: by "like that" I do mean, like that. Very similar in layout and everything.

Also, The Blob rocks.

catlord fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 6, 2020

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Maybe I’m just making assumptions, but I think a lot of the anti-theater sentiment comes from only having access to giant chain multiplexes, which do genuinely suck. Small theaters are the best, the kind of little independent and small chain places that do midnight showings of old flicks and oddities that you’d never see in an AMC or Cinemark. Before the pandemic my friends and I would go to the theater on a weekly basis and I miss it dearly. There’s nothing like seeing a good movie on a big screen with a good audience and VOD will never be able to replicate or replace that.

My wife and I miss our date nights being at the large multiplex cinema chain that had super comfortable recliner seats.

Like as tempting as it is to design our own home cinema in our new house, that stuff is super expensive. Both the cinema and the recliner seats.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

The Question IRL posted:

My wife and I miss our date nights being at the large multiplex cinema chain that had super comfortable recliner seats.

Like as tempting as it is to design our own home cinema in our new house, that stuff is super expensive. Both the cinema and the recliner seats.

Yeah, the new superhero movie was the time all my friends would get together and then head out to the bar afterwards to bullshit. With jobs and families, hanging out like that didn't happen often and VOD just isn't the same. Plus, I like that terrible popcorn.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I enjoy theaters but honestly, until cases get to a manageable level or we have a vaccine I am probably not going

Still haven't eaten indoors in a restaurant since before the shutdowns, and just being in any kind of indoor environment for that long is a big risk. Plus I don't trust people to keep their masks on enough.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Soonmot posted:

Yeah, the new superhero movie was the time all my friends would get together and then head out to the bar afterwards to bullshit. With jobs and families, hanging out like that didn't happen often and VOD just isn't the same. Plus, I like that terrible popcorn.

For me it's the giant cola Icee I'd get.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

FlamingLiberal posted:

I enjoy theaters but honestly, until cases get to a manageable level or we have a vaccine I am probably not going

Still haven't eaten indoors in a restaurant since before the shutdowns, and just being in any kind of indoor environment for that long is a big risk. Plus I don't trust people to keep their masks on enough.

Oh agreed. Like in normal times we would have gone to see Tenant on opening weekend even if the reviews were bad.

But with the Pandemic? Forget about it. Even with all the precautions that cinema chains are taking, I just don't trust them, let alone other cinema goers.

Case in point, in Saturday I ordered a takeaway for my wife and I to celebrate her passing her driving test.
Normally we call and I go down and collect but they were super busy since it was a Saturday night.

As I'm waiting for the food, I hear all sorts of people. Most polite and wearing their masks.

One guy comes in with a mask and then proceeds to take it off to talk to the staff about his order.

Another guy was in the restaurant loudly telling a story, the only part I could hear was
"If we are going to one of the best restaurants in Dublin and I'm paying, then youse are wearing the dress I picked out for you."

In summary man is the greatest virus of them all.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Roth posted:

I don't recognize anyone that thinks Spider-Man 2 is bad

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's not bad, it's just far from still being the best superhero movie like a lot of people still say.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I disliked Spider-Man 2 before it was cool!

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Soonmot posted:

This right here. My law school buddy and I can barely get together anymore because of how busy we end up being. But we see every Marvel movie in theaters together and grab a few beers after. Always a good time, and we get really excited for it. I’m really bummed that we’re likely not able to do it for a long long time.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I definitely don't think theaters are gonna die. Theater companies might but even if that happens Disney or Google or whoever will buy up abandoned theaters and start Theater Wars or something.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

STAC Goat posted:

I definitely don't think theaters are gonna die. Theater companies might but even if that happens Disney or Google or whoever will buy up abandoned theaters and start Theater Wars or something.

I dunno if you've been keeping up with current events but Disney isn't going to be buying jack poo poo for a while

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I do not underestimate a corporation's ability to turn it around with like theme park theaters or something. They'll buy up a multi plex and make each theater a MCU, Harry Potter, or Star Wars one and make a billion dollars or something.

But if they don't Google or Amazon will or something. Once we get to a place where people want to go to theaters there will be standing theaters and rich corporations to buy them.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Aphrodite posted:

It's not bad, it's just far from still being the best superhero movie like a lot of people still say.

Honestly it feels like everything that isn’t Doc Ock is kinda bad.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Dawgstar posted:

Honestly it feels like everything that isn’t Doc Ock is kinda bad.

I think everything about Doc Ock that isn't Molina's performance is bad

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I do wonder how much of the contemporaneous praise for the first Raimi Spider-Man is on it’s own merits vs the fact it was the first superhero movie in decades that wasn’t loving terrible.

E:I guess the first X Men movie was before that and was just mostly mediocre instead of terrible but my point stands.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

oh hell yeah, same. I don't see myself going into a theater or restaurant until spring at the earliest.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Blockhouse posted:

I think everything about Doc Ock that isn't Molina's performance is bad

The tentacle puppets are cool as hell.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Aunt May from the Raimi Spider-Man movies hasn't held up well with the reinterpretations being much better. Though I guess cool younger Aunt May wasn't really a thing until Ultimate Spider-Man.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Codependent Poster posted:

Aunt May from the Raimi Spider-Man movies hasn't held up well with the reinterpretations being much better. Though I guess cool younger Aunt May wasn't really a thing until Ultimate Spider-Man.

It was a thing in people’s heads before that, at least. Tons of “why does this high schooler have an aunt straight out of a LifeAlert commercial” jokes back in the day.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

mycot posted:

The tentacle puppets are cool as hell.

I'll admit to that!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah. Peter sort of aged but oddly May never did so she was roughly Methuselah age forever. I remember for the longest time I thought she was his great-aunt.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

My head canon is Uncle Ben was into cougars and married May when he was 20 and she was 40.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

The Question IRL posted:

In summary man is the greatest virus of them all.

Humanity is a sexually transmitted disease.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I do wonder how much of the contemporaneous praise for the first Raimi Spider-Man is on it’s own merits vs the fact it was the first superhero movie in decades that wasn’t loving terrible.

E:I guess the first X Men movie was before that and was just mostly mediocre instead of terrible but my point stands.

Eh, it's a little of both. It was good enough on its own to be a solid cult classic, but even that was leaps and bounds above what came before.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah. Peter sort of aged but oddly May never did so she was roughly Methuselah age forever. I remember for the longest time I thought she was his great-aunt.

Wait, she isn't?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Man I have that nasty ADHD so all I hear in a movie theater is literally any noise anyone else makes. And wouldn't you know it everyone in a theater is like "You know what sounds good right now is bags of crinkly plastic stored in other bags of crinkly plastic. Maybe also I'll just talk about my day and take selfies on my phone and poo poo." Even at home if I want to focus I have to put on the good headphones. Maybe it'd be nice if the theater industry stayed alive but it's dead to me already and I'd like to see movies closer to when everyone else does.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
The problem with theaters dying that I haven't seen anyone mention yet is the knock-on effect to the movie industry. Do you think we're still going to get summer blockbusters without the summer theater crowds? Will studios fund $100 million budgets when they're not confident they can make that back in a weekend or two of box office receipts?

There's no way something as lavish and expansive as the MCU and its associated films could happen on a streaming service, no matter how big a player Disney is.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Nipponophile posted:

The problem with theaters dying that I haven't seen anyone mention yet is the knock-on effect to the movie industry. Do you think we're still going to get summer blockbusters without the summer theater crowds? Will studios fund $100 million budgets when they're not confident they can make that back in a weekend or two of box office receipts?

There's no way something as lavish and expansive as the MCU and its associated films could happen on a streaming service, no matter how big a player Disney is.

But that seems like the fundamental reason why I don't think the industry is gonna die. The replacement isn't sufficient. So even if the pandemic keeps going, the companies die out, and the theaters go cold they're still standing there and there's still a way to use them to make a ton of money and a reason for the studios to want to keep making that money. The idea of the theater business being dead just doesn't seem realistic to me unless we just think the pandemic is never ending. In which case it seems kind of secondary because we shouldn't be going to the movies anyway..

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

But that seems like the fundamental reason why I don't think the industry is gonna die. The replacement isn't sufficient. So even if the pandemic keeps going, the companies die out, and the theaters go cold they're still standing there and there's still a way to use them to make a ton of money and a reason for the studios to want to keep making that money. The idea of the theater business being dead just doesn't seem realistic to me unless we just think the pandemic is never ending. In which case it seems kind of secondary because we shouldn't be going to the movies anyway..

The pandemic is never ending. At least in the United States. There are enough brain poisoned people that even if a vaccine hits, they won't take it, and it'll gently caress it up for everyone else.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The first two Spider-Man movies, for all their weirdnesses and faults that just get more cringey over time, have incredibly solid structure, pacing, build-up, payoff, and coherency. They hit that sweet spot of cinematically talking slowly enough that even little kids know exactly what's happening and why, but being so competent and charismatic about it that adults are also thoroughly invested in the events.

Again...they're not perfect. But they perfected this sense of cinematic coherency and competence in these heroic adventure films that subsequent films would -- for years afterwards -- be terrified of deviating from, and for good reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

To be honest, I think nothing comes close to those first two Raimi films, they're still the only live action Spider-man films that treat the character with complex philosophical weight, and the way Raimi just understands how to make the character come alive on screen is incredible. They deserve every bit of praise heaped upon them.

For example, in terms of action does anything in MCU Spider-man come close to this sequence https://youtu.be/HFyRe0fnI8s.

Karloff fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Oct 7, 2020