Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Space Epstein didn’t kill himself.

Tossing the Android kill switch head did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

redreader posted:

Whose ark was that right at the end? It had crosses on it so I assumed it was another theist arc, out of the blue?

Why do you think followers of Mithras would use crucifixes? Think about where those come from.

Edit: the credits specifically name Atheist Soldiers 1,2 and 3. They atheists.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

They don't use crucifixes, it ain't a crucifix if Christ ain't on it. The cross on the ark doesn't look at all like the Christian cross, it has an extra bar

edit: Oh I misread, I think we're in agreement

acksplode fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 6, 2020

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Ep10 title: In the Beginning

I wonder if going through the core also put them back in time? And that snek is actually the proto snek? Obv a blatant paradox.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Jesus Christ I mean Sol please stop saying snek

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
It's not a snake tho :colbert:

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I'm still thinking about Mother and Father reconciling by trying to destroy the snake child in the absolute most ridiculous way possible, with absolutely zero thought for their companions maybe possibly needing the lander.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It’s a wyvern.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

ruddiger posted:

It’s a wyvern.

Wyverns have wings and back legs, it's clearly a wyrm.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
They had guns and mother and father knew that. They could have blasted the snek in the head while mother and father held it down.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Piell posted:

Wyverns have wings and back legs, it's clearly a wyrm.

Dang, I knew it was one of those.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
id like to know a lil more about the seasonality of Kepler 22b, it doesn't always need to be snowing!!

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

ex post facho posted:

id like to know a lil more about the seasonality of Kepler 22b, it doesn't always need to be snowing!!

I thought sometimes it was dust or ash, but I also live in northern California so I often thought I was looking through a window at some local weirdos.

On Snake vs Lander, Father also seemed pretty proficient at axes which seem like they would be very effective against a tube-shaped critter.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
They should have simply inserted a tube into the snake, allowing it to form a closed loop with Mother.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's not a cross btw.

e: this might have been hashed out

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

veni veni veni posted:

This is a good post but I am going to humbly request that you guys stop saying "snek"

Yes, you’re correct, I believe another poster pointed out that it’s actually a “spess snek”.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I just remembered that the stuff Campion gives to the kids to energize them was called Serpent Heart. I'm sure mother and father named it, and they probably found it growing near the snake bones. Mother's blood powered up dark souls rapist when she had was caring the snake child.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Now that I've had time to think about the show I realized I was wrong about some stuff and totally mischaracterized the show. I thought it was a silly incomprehensible fever dream of a show with a Dark Souls rapist, but I now realize it was a silly incomprehensible fever dream of a show with a Bloodborne rapist. Sorry for my mistake.

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Now that I've had time to think about the show I realized I was wrong about some stuff and totally mischaracterized the show. I thought it was a silly incomprehensible fever dream of a show with a Dark Souls rapist, but I now realize it was a silly incomprehensible fever dream of a show with a Bloodborne rapist. Sorry for my mistake.

I for one am absolutely astonished people keep calling the space lamprey a space snake. For gently caress's sake, I mean the anatomical differences in the mouth area alone are enormous. Wake up sheeple.

Tehdas
Dec 30, 2012
My take on the plot is that Mother, Father and the Mithraics took off from earth at roughly the same time. But the earth was not destroyed, instead the war finished and in the 600 odd years since the humans have had time to come up with a FTL tech and go to k22b and actually land earlier than the characters from this story.
However the spess snek god/planet doesn't like humans and has decided to 'devolve' the humans and maybe use them as breeding chambers, ergo the current plot.

I predict that the rest of the show will mainly be about Mithraics/atheist/spess snake conflict, as to who can control the planet. With human colonizers from earth slowly dribbling in and getting slaughtered.

And assuming stuff from the comic has to be spoilers, and is cannon:

Necromancers are basically shown to be just tech nicked from a defeated atheist nation, not evidence that k22b sent them.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
snek

Vintersorg posted:

It's not a cross btw.

e: this might have been hashed out
Probably not unintentional it basically looks like a cross/is a form of cross.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cingulate posted:

snek

Probably not unintentional it basically looks like a cross/is a form of cross.

You may have noticed that the show leans hard into "Atheism is a religion too" themes, so it's not surprising.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

veni veni veni posted:

You may have noticed that the show leans hard into "Atheism is a religion too" themes, so it's not surprising.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0fCL82XwwU

DrThief
Jan 6, 2001

This show is Ridley Scott turned up to 11 in all the good and bad ways. Milk androids, existential/religion themes, body horror, excruciating birthing scenes. The plot just serves to get us from a to b, with little regard for character motivation. It's dumb and rough, yet extremely entertaining.

Shove more of it down my throat like the Mithraist did to Spaceragnar with Mother's eyeballs.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

frogbs posted:

Yes, you’re correct, I believe another poster pointed out that it’s actually a “spess snek”.

The only thing that can combat our new Lord and Master is this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeCfod1XT7E

Vintersorg posted:

It's not a cross btw.

Reminds me a bit of
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_of_Lorraine
or some of the others on this list
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_cross_variants
Makes me wonder if that symbol was shared with an obscure christian religion or just coincidence? I mean it COULD be just minor markings on a ship but since this show seems to go wholeheartedly into overt symbolism I doubt it.
As far as something "close" that is math or science based the first thing I thought of was this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plus%E2%80%93minus_sign
Mankind as a whole like symbols and I can imagine the atheists would have something math or science based to further separate themselves from the symbols born out of mythology. I mean who really knows but I have a weird love for propaganda, especially old Soviet propaganda, and would love to see more of old Earth and its history. I think I remember the show said that the Necromancer bots were created by the Sol forces using old alien tech. Were the Necromancers the main reason the Mithrans were winning? I mean if you can call killing the earth in the process winning.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

The symbol on the ship kinda sorta looks like a crusades cross* in that the tines are slightly enlarged at the ends, like a sword hilt. That, plus having seen the spray paint atheist logo earlier (@ except with a capital A) made me think it was something else.

*I don't know what else to call what I'm thinking of.

I largely had fun with the show but if I had to point at something for why I was dissatisfied it would be that the credits sequence and first couple episodes pointed at a very different show than what we got, and then in every episode the credits kept pointing at that other show well beyond the breaking point. It's in some ways like the intro to the game Destiny: it takes itself pretty seriously in delivering a somewhat specific scifi tone and then rapidly turns into a ridiculous game about literal space wizards fighting space demons on a space crusade (no space snakes I think), and planetary travel is little more than a space horse ride to the next space kingdom.

Show me my radio oblisks dammit!

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Papal cross?

Although Cross of Lorraine looks most similar.

Anyways. It's a cross.

Cingulate fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Oct 10, 2020

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Sheriff Falc posted:

I for one am absolutely astonished people keep calling the space lamprey a space snake. For gently caress's sake, I mean the anatomical differences in the mouth area alone are enormous. Wake up sheeple.

https://twitter.com/i_zzzzzz/status/733518431740252160?lang=en

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Some season 2 plot detailed got released

https://www.ibtimes.co.uk/raised-wolves-showrunner-teases-season-2-details-1684116

Sol doesn't seem to able to communicate with just anyone. Maybe it's proximity based? Also, earth and humans there are still alive and so are the necromancers

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The best space snake is torque in xcom chimera squad

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Sheriff Falc posted:

We need to settle this by someone providing multiple shots of our new God Emperor Spess Snek/Lamprey. We need jpegs. We need gifs. We need gifs of him dancing with top hats and tails. We need youtube videos of him singing "Tiptoe through the Tulips". Mr Scott and HBO can thank us later for the guerilla marketing.

GABA ghoul posted:

Some season 2 plot detailed got released

https://www.ibtimes.co.uk/raised-wolves-showrunner-teases-season-2-details-1684116

Sol doesn't seem to able to communicate with just anyone. Maybe it's proximity based? Also, earth and humans there are still alive and so are the necromancers
Interesting. Proximity to what though? Still want to see the Sons of Sol discovering the lost necromancer tech. Love the idea of a bunch of religious zealots discovering something they in no way understood and unleashing their own doom. Did they ever say why the two went to war? Don't think they clarified but if it was one super religious nation discovering this tech and then using it for expansion/conversion that could be interesting. That first ep made me think there might be other religions as well but the Atheists and Mithrans were the main two. Other eps it felt like there were only Sol worshippers and Atheists. Still think the core of this show could be something really cool.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I just remembered that Campion choosing to eat moss instead of alien meat because he believes it's wrong and no one else going along with it was exactly like that this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Gwtmj2gPcg&t=179s

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Lister posted:

I just remembered that Campion choosing to eat moss instead of alien meat because he believes it's wrong and no one else going along with it was exactly like that this

Haha I made that reference to my roommate the night we watched it.

“Slime! And there’s enough slime for everyone!”

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
I'm surprised none of the "muh plot hole" nerds complaining about what is possible managed to get relativity right. If 13 years passed for the people going in the ship, then it means they were close to the speed of light, but not as fast or faster than light... If they were going at light speed, then it would not have been 13 years, but instant.

They would have to be going less than the speed of light to experience 13 years while travelling so that someone from Earth's perspective would experience as millions of years (distance to kepler in ly is only 638 so they would have to be going way slower than light) due to time dilation.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

edit - thought kepler was further away, so even more applicable.

ogarza fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 8, 2020

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
Kepler 22 is 638 ly away, not millions.

Any manned interstellar travel at any speed might as well be magic, anyone that's gonna bother would have given up on sci-fi long ago.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lister posted:

Campion being a huge failure was one of things I found most hilarious.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

etalian posted:

[THING] being a huge failure was one of things I found most hilarious.

My reaction to every part of this show.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Binged this show while bored at work. When the Theists showed up with swords and shields and they started showing the war with the Atheists all I could think was that episode of South Park with all those Atheist factions fighting.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The Oldest Man posted:

My reaction to every part of this show.

Space snake was only successful character in the whole show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

ogarza posted:

I'm surprised none of the "muh plot hole" nerds complaining about what is possible managed to get relativity right. If 13 years passed for the people going in the ship, then it means they were close to the speed of light, but not as fast or faster than light... If they were going at light speed, then it would not have been 13 years, but instant.

They would have to be going less than the speed of light to experience 13 years while travelling so that someone from Earth's perspective would experience as millions of years (distance to kepler in ly is only 638 so they would have to be going way slower than light) due to time dilation.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

edit - thought kepler was further away, so even more applicable.

Light speed isn't instantaneous, it's just the speed of light. If something is 600 light years away it would take 600 years to get there at the speed of light