Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://uploadvr.com/house-report-facebook-quest-2/
Pesky government reports and regulations!

edit: sniped my own previous post, so: https://www.strawpoll.me/21061676

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

https://uploadvr.com/house-report-facebook-quest-2/
Pesky government reports and regulations!

edit: sniped my own previous post, so: https://www.strawpoll.me/21061676

Facebook getting broken up and having Oculus spun out as its own company again would be amazing lmfao they're never gonna do poo poo to fb

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Penpal posted:

Who ITT has a vive pro? What do you think of it? Pulling the trigger on one in the next day or so.

Also I would be really interested in a thread poll on what headset everyone is using. I'm mad curious 🤔

Headset is good. Audio could be better. Mic is trash. Its pretty bomb proof though. Wireless if you end up springing for it is pretty awesome.

Controllers. Eh, They suck but they've sorta grown on me for a lot of things.

Though the G2 looks to be a way better value with better controllers.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

alphabettitouretti posted:

Are you playing the steam or gog version? I found some old comments that said mods didn't work on the steam version, is that still the case?

Steam. Works fine for me...

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEJCf-PyzOY
I challenge you to buy one!

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Quest 1, currently tracking down why the gently caress my Link not work anymore. Might be that my USB3.0 port is underpowered, time to buy a PCI expansion card let's goooo.

Because VD is fine for stuff like Alyx, but Squadrons is a no-go with the extra delay.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

had a WMR (ACer), upgraded to a better WMR (odyssey), its good. I wish WMR was still around at least as a comeback to people claiming the entry price to VR is too high, now it's true you either need to let facebook record everything you do or shell out $800+ in addition to your pc

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Jenny Agutter posted:

had a WMR (ACer), upgraded to a better WMR (odyssey), its good. I wish WMR was still around at least as a comeback to people claiming the entry price to VR is too high, now it's true you either need to let facebook record everything you do or shell out $800+ in addition to your pc

The new G2 Reverb that everyone is crazy over is MWR, so don't give up hope

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Jenny Agutter posted:

Well, it seems the G2 is a possible comeback. But it's only cheaper than the Index, it's still far away from the Rift S.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Wow, the guys who made Superhot were so proud of finishing Mind Control Delete they actually put out a patch for Superhot VR on the Quest! https://www.reddit.com/r/superhot/comments/j6qgly/superhot_vr_on_quest_quality_of_life_update_v1111/

Pretty fine.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

The new G2 Reverb that everyone is crazy over is MWR, so don't give up hope

Turin Turambar posted:

Well, it seems the G2 is a possible comeback. But it's only cheaper than the Index, it's still far away from the Rift S.

yeah that's the $800 one, my first WMR was $250

edit: oh it's $600, my bad

Jenny Agutter fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 7, 2020

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

i know it's not a popular opinion but WMR home is great and a way better environment/launcher than steamvr

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Jenny Agutter posted:

yeah that's the $800 one, my first WMR was $250

Yeah, it's at a higher price point, but its also literally impossible to compete with Facebook while still remaining profitable. Facebook is selling quest and quest 2 at a loss.

G2 is a cheap entry into the high end market

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Goon VR Poll status
edit:definitive edition

I was one of the 2 people voting Quest 2, as I have already sold my Quest 1 and the Q2 is coming in a week, it seemed silly to vote any other thing.

As this is is a ~hardcore~ gaming forum, in an ~enthusiast~ VR thread, I guess it makes sense for more people having Index than Rift S, even if in Steam is the opposite. Perhaps the most surprising is the few people having Vives, although it's easily explainable with the Index owners, they were the ones who upgraded from Vive to Index when it was possible. Comparison:

edit: I was right, vive + index ratio is actually the same in both! : 36%. It just distributed in a different way.

The final point, the Quest, where we can guess that a fair number of people don't connect it to the PC, and/or like someone said some days ago, maybe Valve is still not detecting them accurately. I also have read somewhere that Quests connected to VD are detected like Rift S. That would be interesting.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 7, 2020

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

If VD reports a quest as a rift s, that would explain the super high rift s numbers on steam

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Happyimp posted:

Is there a date for the g2, and is it too late to pre-order? I was thinking about buying it, and selling either that or the index to me friend depending on which one I liked the best.

I don't think they have a date yet, but this quarter seems likely. I am assuming giving its price it probably not going to be ridiculously hard to get, but who knows with manufacturing.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Turin Turambar posted:

Goon VR Poll status

I did not have any headsets before my Index. The Index was the first one to get me off my wallet to finally get into VR, I wanted the best experience my high-end PC could provide.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

RFC2324 posted:

If VD reports a quest as a rift s, that would explain the super high rift s numbers on steam

No more than a pair of points, I think. VD is still somewhat niche (inside a niche), you need to sideload it, etc.

Nocheez posted:

I did not have any headsets before my Index. The Index was the first one to get me off my wallet to finally get into VR, I wanted the best experience my high-end PC could provide.

Of course, there will be people like you, who bought an Index directly, I was talking more about why the difference with the steam stats.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm rocking a Rift S primarily, but I also have a Quest 1 which is going to my brother as soon as the Quest 2 arrives. I'd say my time is split 75% on the RiftS and 25% on the Quest, most of my VR time is in sims.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Turin Turambar posted:

No more than a pair of points, I think. VD is still somewhat niche (inside a niche), you need to sideload it, etc.

Of course, there will be people like you, who bought an Index directly, I was talking more about why the difference with the steam stats.

I have seen VD on the front page of the quest store basically ever time I open the drat store, so I think it might not be as niche as you think. VR is already so niche and the users are pretty much still the kind of people who are going to sideload stuff if they know its possible.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

It says it'll be the standalone treadmill for $1000 (that's cheaper than a normal treadmill for perspective) and will include a wireless VR headset in a bundle for $2000. I'd love to see the specs of the headset. If it's anything like shown in that video it seems like it could be a wide-fov wireless headset.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man I just factory reset my Quest1 to give to my friend before my Q2 arrives and it's such a bittersweet feeling.

I'm really excited for the Q2 but the Quest was such an eye-opening experience that I have some great memories of this thing. The first time I loaded up Moss was something else altogether. Just amazing.

And to be quite honest, during Covid lockdown my most used app was Wander -- I really really enjoyed taking tours of foreign cities when locked up at home.

Great device. Can't say enough good things about it.

That said, I took my DAS off and reverted back to the factory strap and it immediately gave me a headache within 15 minutes so I'm hoping it feels better for them than it did for me. I'm also giving them the cheap AliExpress halo ring I have in case they like it more than I did.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

I uh, didn't see any side stepping. They didn't specifically mention this at all either which makes me wonder if its possible. On top of the fact that its yet another VR headset and accessory and yet another fragmentation of VR just makes me meh real hard at it.
Does look a ton better than the originals though.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
only did 20 minutes of my 60min BoxVR goal and my headset is soaked o.o

also my legs are going to fall off. drat squats.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

KakerMix posted:

I uh, didn't see any side stepping. They didn't specifically mention this at all either which makes me wonder if its possible. On top of the fact that its yet another VR headset and accessory and yet another fragmentation of VR just makes me meh real hard at it.
Does look a ton better than the originals though.

As long as the stick to the standards, more options are a good thing, tho? Like, do you WANT the only options to be buying from facebook or steam?

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Turin Turambar posted:

Goon VR Poll status

I was one of the 2 people voting Quest 2, as I have already sold my Quest 1 and the Q2 is coming in a week, it seemed silly to vote any other thing.

As this is is a ~hardcore~ gaming forum, in an ~enthusiast~ VR thread, I guess it makes sense for more people having Index than Rift S, even if in Steam is the opposite. Perhaps the most surprising is the few people having Vives, although it's easily explainable with the Index owners, they were the ones who upgraded from Vive to Index when it was possible. Comparison:

edit: I was right, vive + index ratio is actually the same in both! : 36%. It just distributed in a different way.

The final point, the Quest, where we can guess that a fair number of people don't connect it to the PC, and/or like someone said some days ago, maybe Valve is still not detecting them accurately. I also have read somewhere that Quests connected to VD are detected like Rift S. That would be interesting.

I've got a DK1, Vive, Vive Pro, Index controllers, and Quest 1, but my real pride and joy is this bad boy I built in 2013 from the original pre-DK1 3DOF open spec. Yes, that is a tupperware lunch container and safety goggles :downs:. I remember the first thing I tried it with was Dear Esther and it blew my mind.

We've come a long way :3:

ephori fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 7, 2020

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Got a Vive Cosmos Elite but voted "Other" since it's not a Vive or Vive Pro

Someone on Reddit suggested pulling the foam out that meets up against your forehead and either leaving it off or replacing it with thinner foam.
I can't explain enough how much this has improved picture quality and killed light leak.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

ephori posted:

I've got a DK1, Vive, Vive Pro, Index controllers, and Quest 1, but my real pride and joy is this bad boy I built in 2013 from the original pre-DK1 3DOF open spec. Yes, that is a tupperware lunch container and safety goggles :downs:. I remember the first thing I tried it with was Dear Esther and it blew my mind.

that is the coolest poo poo ive seen posted in this thread in a while, good job. "These are the good old days" lol

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

ephori posted:

Hell yeah!
DK1 days were incredible, everything was mind blowing.
I remember the revelation that if you put certain types of see through plastic behind the lenses it acted like anti aliasing, and I was all over that, ripping poo poo apart to try it, it did work but :lol: at the thought of it now.
Me and a pal had a DK1 each and it was just the best, the general public had zero clue this poo poo was even possible and I had a great summer showing it people, mainly on rollercoasters ha ha.
It was just a joyous time, hacking games up in tridef to make them sort of work, my pal would ring me and just say 'what about bioshock?' and we'd spend the day on the phone making it work.
The reactions I had that summer ranged from a grown man crying a bit because this was his childhood dream, right through to a guy who just kept saying 'nope, nope... nope' all the way around a coaster demo, then when it was over he took off the headset, handed it me and said 'I'm not having that' and he never mentioned it again, ever :laugh:

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
I tried asking in the Star Wars Squadrons thread but didn't end up with an answer.

Is anyone running a RIFT S for this game and purchased via steam? I'm getting horrible performance out in VR and I'm wondering if it's a steam Oculus app to steam vr app to game issue. Or if this game just hates the Rift. If you are running this on a RIFT S but didn't buy through steam, is it working fine for you?

My system is pretty good, I don't suspect it's a system issue at all. But just in case here is my rig specs

i9-9900k @3.60GHz
16 GB ram
RTX 2700 Super
M.3 SSD

This is the first game I have run into performance issues with. I did build the rig about a year ago. Is my video card already showing it's age?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm on an i7 9700k, 2070s, 32gb ram with a Rift S and it runs great for me. Seems to be really hit or miss, but lots of people having trouble so hopefully a fix is incoming soon.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

peter gabriel posted:

I remember the revelation that if you put certain types of see through plastic behind the lenses it acted like anti aliasing, and I was all over that, ripping poo poo apart to try it, it did work but :lol: at the thought of it now.

My grandpa pranked my grandma by saying he had bought a color TV (when they first came out and were $$). He had bought a plastic screen kit that put a blue hue over the top of the screen, green in the middle, and brown at the bottom (sky, trees, ground). My dad laughed so hard every time he told that story, I would feel like I was there :unsmith:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Nocheez posted:

My grandpa pranked my grandma by saying he had bought a color TV (when they first came out and were $$). He had bought a plastic screen kit that put a blue hue over the top of the screen, green in the middle, and brown at the bottom (sky, trees, ground). My dad laughed so hard every time he told that story, I would feel like I was there :unsmith:

That's fuckin well funny I love it :v:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Kilazar posted:

I tried asking in the Star Wars Squadrons thread but didn't end up with an answer.

Is anyone running a RIFT S for this game and purchased via steam? I'm getting horrible performance out in VR and I'm wondering if it's a steam Oculus app to steam vr app to game issue. Or if this game just hates the Rift. If you are running this on a RIFT S but didn't buy through steam, is it working fine for you?

My system is pretty good, I don't suspect it's a system issue at all. But just in case here is my rig specs

i9-9900k @3.60GHz
16 GB ram
RTX 2700 Super
M.3 SSD

This is the first game I have run into performance issues with. I did build the rig about a year ago. Is my video card already showing it's age?

Your system is fine man, I have no issues and a Rift S, I have a 2080ti but it's not that much different to a 2700 Super, I would put it to one side for a while as there is some fuckery going on at the moment, feels like we need a patch or two for sure

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

peter gabriel posted:

Hell yeah!
DK1 days were incredible, everything was mind blowing.
Me and a pal had a DK1 each and it was just the best, the general public had zero clue this poo poo was even possible and I had a great summer showing it people, mainly on rollercoasters ha ha.
It was just a joyous time, hacking games up in tridef to make them sort of work, my pal would ring me and just say 'what about bioshock?' and we'd spend the day on the phone making it work.
The reactions I had that summer ranged from a grown man crying a bit because this was his childhood dream, right through to a guy who just kept saying 'nope, nope... nope' all the way around a coaster demo, then when it was over he took off the headset, handed it me and said 'I'm not having that' and he never mentioned it again, ever :laugh:

Yes! Same, exactly, all of this. It was so janky and felt so cutting edge. Good times.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Enos Cabell posted:

I'm on an i7 9700k, 2070s, 32gb ram with a Rift S and it runs great for me. Seems to be really hit or miss, but lots of people having trouble so hopefully a fix is incoming soon.

peter gabriel posted:

Your system is fine man, I have no issues and a Rift S, I have a 2080ti but it's not that much different to a 2700 Super, I would put it to one side for a while as there is some fuckery going on at the moment, feels like we need a patch or two for sure

Are you running through steam vr or directly through oculus app?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kilazar posted:

SQUADRONS VR PERFORMANCE IS hosed

We're getting one of these posts every day now. Please read the thread.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

SQUADRONS VR PERFORMANCE IS hosed

We're getting one of these posts every day now. Please read the thread.

Thanks for the help. These threads move too fast for me to keep up with a thread that I only come into once a year. I'm also gathering more information as to configuration as the information is all over the place.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Sourced from Shogunner in the GPU thread, some VR benchmarks with the 3080 and 3090: https://babeltechreviews.com/vr-wars-the-rtx-3080-vs-the-rtx-3090-fcat-vr-performance-benchmarked/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

bloodysabbath posted:

Cross post from the SW:SQ thread, but I’m running an Oculus Quest on the PC using link and Steam VR and it is the most frustrating poo poo.

Inevitably, after a while, this game starts to stutter. Not a *ton,* but frequently enough that it messes with the experience.

This shouldn’t happen, I’m running a 2080ti. Is the game that hosed or am I missing something super obvious and/or obscure?

I've had good luck with Squadrons and Virtual Desktop. Might be worth a shot.