Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
they should do a few releases where they run a temporary transparent filesystem change as part of the update process so they can collect telemetry on any failures, before upgrading all their users

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

eschaton posted:

they should do a few releases where they run a temporary transparent filesystem change as part of the update process so they can collect telemetry on any failures, before upgrading all their users

wtf? They aren't going to upgrade anybody. What the hell are you talking about?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

ratbert90 posted:

wtf? They aren't going to upgrade anybody. What the hell are you talking about?

yeah, this is not like Apple going from hfs+ to apfs

it would be pretty wild if they had upgrade-in-place for xfs or ext4 to btrfs

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

starbucks hermit posted:

yeah, this is not like Apple going from hfs+ to apfs

it would be pretty wild if they had upgrade-in-place for xfs or ext4 to btrfs

btrfs can do this. transactionally, even.

please do not take this as an endorsement of btrfs though, btrfs is poo poo.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

no its not, it owns

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

If it's good enough for red hat it's good enough for me tbh

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
It wasn't good enough for them when they added it as technical preview in RHEL 6 then removed it in RHEL 8.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

they bet on that stratis thingie which went nowhere fast

good on them that they'll right that wrong now

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

spankmeister posted:

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Sapozhnik posted:

btrfs can do this. transactionally, even.

please do not take this as an endorsement of btrfs though, btrfs is poo poo.

btrfs claims it can do this? which is different from things btfs actually does

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
Btrfs' in-place ext4 conversion thing worked well for me. Don't know what OP means by "transactionally" in this scenario though

e: I suppose if the switcheroo on the first 1MB is atomic then the conversion either works or doesn't if interrupted. If OP is referring to that then it's true

Rufus Ping fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 6, 2020

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

starbucks hermit posted:

Red Hat is working their btrfs off

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

spankmeister posted:

hell yeah putting everything into glusterfs right now

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Progressive JPEG posted:

hell yeah putting everything into glusterfs right now

loading my entire desktop into a pod on openshift

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

That's right, ladies and gentlemen, after nineteen and a half years of semiannual GNOME 3 releases, you can rearrange items in the "start" menu equivalent AND restart your device without using the shell or the equivalent of registry hacking.

THE FUTURE IS NOW.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
why is being able to do something without using the shell a big deal? we’re talking about linux here, I assumed we all live in the shell anyway

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

why would you use the app grid when it has a search interface?

this isn’t Windows, when you mash the Windows key or ram the mouse cursor into the corner and type the name of the program and press Enter, you get the program, not some Bing results page

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

pseudorandom name posted:

this isn’t Windows, when you mash the Windows key or ram the mouse cursor into the corner and type the name of the program and press Enter, you get the program, not some Bing results page

it's ubuntu, i think you literally do get amazon search results when you search for apps

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sassafras posted:

after nineteen and a half years of semiannual GNOME 3 releases

gnome 3 predates gnome 2

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

touchscreens?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
nobody’s using gnome3 as a touchscreen interface

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Rufus Ping posted:

Btrfs' in-place ext4 conversion thing worked well for me. Don't know what OP means by "transactionally" in this scenario though

e: I suppose if the switcheroo on the first 1MB is atomic then the conversion either works or doesn't if interrupted. If OP is referring to that then it's true

you actually can undo it, the conversion process leaves behind a sparse file (in a read-only subvolume) that points to all of the ext4 data and metadata, that can be used to turn the disk back to ext4, all of the data that you have written which is not referenced by the ext4 fs is unaccessable/destroyed after converting back though of course

there were some discussions the last year or two about this process not working so well with recent changes to the btrfs code/disk layout though, i think that was fixed but "convert in-place from ext4" is not really seen as that important a feature anymore

e: you can undo the conversion unless/until you delete the "ext4 filesystem data" subvolume to reclaim that space

Lysidas fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Oct 6, 2020

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Soricidus posted:

i used to :shobon:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

in 99.9% of my experience that's what you get on windows 10 as well

sometimes it gets a bit confused if you "overtype" something you frequently open (eg. "vis" "visu" visua" and "visual" get you "visual studio code" but "visual s" gets you "visual studio 2017") but has a common partial name with something else but I'm going to chalk that up to lovely awful ~*machine learning*~ bullshit

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Also the visual way to reboot is to click the power icon and then three options pop up: power off, logout, and restart. I guess the Gnome team thought a dedicated reboot button was easier?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

ratbert90 posted:

Also the visual way to reboot is to click the power icon and then three options pop up: power off, logout, and restart. I guess the Gnome team thought a dedicated reboot button was easier?

This way people are way more likely to accidentally hit it on the server that has a gui for some reason

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Soricidus posted:

tell that to the gnome team lol, they keep pouring nontrivial effort into making all of their app interfaces scale to phone screens

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

carry on then posted:

tell that to the gnome team lol, they keep pouring nontrivial effort into making all of their app interfaces scale to phone screens

and to make sure they're as obnoxious as possible to use with a mouse

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I thought Red Hat dropped support for butter in version 8.

https://access.redhat.com/documenta...nality_in_rhel7

quote:

Btrfs has been deprecated
The Btrfs file system has been in Technology Preview state since the initial release of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6. Red Hat will not be moving Btrfs to a fully supported feature and it will be removed in a future major release of Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
The Btrfs file system did receive numerous updates from the upstream in Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.4 and will remain available in the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 series. However, this is the last planned update to this feature.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

just getting ready to come back in rhel10 obvs

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Penguissimo posted:

and to make sure they're as obnoxious as possible to use with a mouse

shh, they might take it as a challenge

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

PCjr sidecar posted:

just getting ready to come back in rhel10 obvs

drat some PM is awfully ambitious, making a 30 year roadmap like that

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Nomnom Cookie posted:

drat some PM is awfully ambitious, making a 30 year roadmap like that

i don’t know what weapons ww3 will be fought with but i do know that ww4s logistics will be run on rhel on ibm z

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

PCjr sidecar posted:

i don’t know what weapons ww3 will be fought with but i do know that ww4s logistics will be run on rhel on ibm z

openshift on rhcos on z/arch

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

PCjr sidecar posted:

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

PCjr sidecar posted:

lol

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

e-dt posted:

it's ubuntu, i think you literally do get amazon search results when you search for apps

Not if you use a good desktop (MATE)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

Not if you use a good desktop (CDE)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
no true good desktop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

infernal machines posted:

no true good desktop