Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
To fully uninstall drivers, check "Delete the driver software for this device" when uninstalling a device in Device Manager.

If you want to be really sure, run DriverStore Explorer afterwards and remove the offending driver before rebooting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It probably still caches them locally, but that is as good as it gets without risking breaking your system in creative ways. Seriously, do not try to hard-delete a driver file without using the system administration tools.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I'm using LibreOffice Calc but I assume Excel and other spreadsheets are similar.

How can I make it so that when I copy and paste some cells, the formulas that feed from those cells don't update as well? My use-case is that I am budgeting using a spreadsheet and I have tabulation columns, when I cut/paste data around to re-order it I just want the data to move and not the way the tabulation columns flow their data.

I am aware of $A$12 to indicate that a formula shouldn't be changed when the formula is moved, but that would have to be manually set in every single row of the tabulation columns.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'm using LibreOffice Calc but I assume Excel and other spreadsheets are similar.

How can I make it so that when I copy and paste some cells, the formulas that feed from those cells don't update as well? My use-case is that I am budgeting using a spreadsheet and I have tabulation columns, when I cut/paste data around to re-order it I just want the data to move and not the way the tabulation columns flow their data.

I am aware of $A$12 to indicate that a formula shouldn't be changed when the formula is moved, but that would have to be manually set in every single row of the tabulation columns.

You can use OFFSET, I guess? If you want A2 to show up in D2, say, you would use
=OFFSET(D2,0,-3)
As it's 3 cells to the left of D2. You can then drag the formula down to cover your entire column

Allyn fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 5, 2020

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Paul MaudDib posted:

You can also use named ranges. Or just use the absolute reference hotkey and do the whole bunch at once.

Does LibreOffice do tables and structured references? Because that also sounds like it could do what you want.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
Anyone got a free alternative to beyond compare for syncing files and folders? I love beyond compare, but I don't want to buy another license for my work machine.

I know synctoy is still around, but haven't tested it on win 10.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Syncback Free

Though i don't know if the free licence covers commercial use.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

the_lion posted:

Anyone got a free alternative to beyond compare for syncing files and folders? I love beyond compare, but I don't want to buy another license for my work machine.

I still use Synctoy on Windows 10.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

the_lion posted:

FreeFileSync. It's simply great.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Kind of a weird question, may be better for the hardware thread, but is there some kind of control surface I can just assign hotkeys and other functions to? Like muting the mic in Teams from anywhere, or controlling playback of whatever is currently musicing?

Kind of like a bluetooth number pad mixed with one of those gamer macro thingies. I would prefer it to work with Macs and be wireless as well, but it's fine if that's not possible.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I think I know of something that might work for you. There are these streamer control button thingies that I inconveniently seem to have forgotten the name of. They exist basically exactly to do what you are asking for: they provide a simple peripheral that can have commands and effects assigned to them. I wish I could remember what on Earth they were called, but they exist and they're apparently very convenient if you need a way to just press a button and have Thing happen.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

I think I know of something that might work for you. There are these streamer control button thingies that I inconveniently seem to have forgotten the name of. They exist basically exactly to do what you are asking for: they provide a simple peripheral that can have commands and effects assigned to them. I wish I could remember what on Earth they were called, but they exist and they're apparently very convenient if you need a way to just press a button and have Thing happen.

Generally they're called "Stream decks", here's one

I don't think it's worth $150 for OP's use case though. :)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Much obliged, the phrase just wouldn't come to me. I imagine you can get them cheaper than that, but, well, it is specialized hardware.

The next best alternative would be to get one of those big-rear end gamer keyboards with plenty of programmable function keys, those are very convenient. You can expect to shell out 100+$ for a good one there as well, though.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Cardiovorax posted:

Much obliged, the phrase just wouldn't come to me. I imagine you can get them cheaper than that, but, well, it is specialized hardware.

The next best alternative would be to get one of those big-rear end gamer keyboards with plenty of programmable function keys, those are very convenient. You can expect to shell out 100+$ for a good one there as well, though.

Yeah thanks for the keyword. I see tons of projects related to this (and "mini macro keyboard") and I've got a couple of hobbyist electronics laying around so maybe that's the way to go. This guy based on an Arduino kind of seems ideal!

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Elgato has does have an iOS (and I'd presume Android) app available, it's not free but it's alot cheaper than buying the hardware if you've got a tablet or phone you could use

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I just checked that out and the Android version has an incredible number of negative reviews, as in, more 1-star reviews than of every other rating put together. I would suggest thinking carefully before touching it, that's one hell of a bad sign.

There are a number of other "programmable remote" apps for Android as well, but they are largely pretty bad.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Yeah I definitely can't speak to the android version, but I use the iOS version with the new MS Flight Sim and it works pretty well for that very specific purpose

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I wonder if a cheap game controller + joytokey + autohotkey could work.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

On a technical level, it would certainly work, but it would probably be a bit of a pain to use in practice. I mean, game controllers aren't really built for that kind of thing, ergonomically speaking.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Something like this should work, especially if you use it in combo with AHK etc

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mechanical...01923950&sr=8-3

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Yeah, configurable usb numpads are a relatively cheap solution.

If by chance you’re a musician and have a midi controller laying about, they can also be made to work with autohotkey with a little googling and experimentation.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
If you're using autohotkey you don't even need a separate pad, you can assign key combos that are totally unique and don't step on any other program.

For example, I use appskey + the insert block to control music & volume, after seeing WASDkeyboards using that layout on their boards. (FYI this is soooo much nicer and easier than the Fn+F-keys standard, it's less movement and easy to one-hand.)

In autohotkey you can create arbitrary combos with &, ie AppsKey & Insert::SendEvent {Media_Play_Pause} is a simple rebind to make that combo into the play/pause key.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there some way to put a windows laptop into semi sleep mode where it can still download files and update without leaving the computer completely on? Similar to what consoles do?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

veni veni veni posted:

Is there some way to put a windows laptop into semi sleep mode where it can still download files and update without leaving the computer completely on? Similar to what consoles do?

No. The consoles do this with custom hardware. The PS4 actually has a separate ARM system chip to do it.

You could make a custom power plan starting with "Power Saver" and then go into Advanced Settings -> Processor power management -> Maximum processor state, and set that down to like 10%. That would mean your CPU is locked to the minimum power consumption.

But I presume you want to do this so your laptop will do that stuff without making any noise at night. Depending on the laptop this may not be possible, it may still turn on the fan even with the CPU generating the least power. (This tends to be a cheap vs expensive thing -- more expensive metal-body laptops sometimes are able to conduct enough waste heat out into the body shell to passively cool themselves at low power.)

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
Hello everyone, I'm pointed here by someone. 1 question: how do you guys enable "full dark mode" on desktop Chrome for sites which don't have Dark mode enabled natively? I've tried the Chrome:flags -> Force Dark Mode for Web Contents one, but there are multiple parameters there, and the "Enabled" one seem to completely ruin some websites.

I've also tried the Dark Reader plugin, and it's almost perfection, but unfortunately it doesn't parse spoiler text properly and just displays them without even highlighting. So yeah, Googling doesn't help at all unfortunately.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Klyith posted:

No. The consoles do this with custom hardware. The PS4 actually has a separate ARM system chip to do it.

You could make a custom power plan starting with "Power Saver" and then go into Advanced Settings -> Processor power management -> Maximum processor state, and set that down to like 10%. That would mean your CPU is locked to the minimum power consumption.

But I presume you want to do this so your laptop will do that stuff without making any noise at night. Depending on the laptop this may not be possible, it may still turn on the fan even with the CPU generating the least power. (This tends to be a cheap vs expensive thing -- more expensive metal-body laptops sometimes are able to conduct enough waste heat out into the body shell to passively cool themselves at low power.)

Thanks. That’s what I thought but I figured I’d ask anyways.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

srulz posted:

Hello everyone, I'm pointed here by someone. 1 question: how do you guys enable "full dark mode" on desktop Chrome for sites which don't have Dark mode enabled natively? I've tried the Chrome:flags -> Force Dark Mode for Web Contents one, but there are multiple parameters there, and the "Enabled" one seem to completely ruin some websites.

I've also tried the Dark Reader plugin, and it's almost perfection, but unfortunately it doesn't parse spoiler text properly and just displays them without even highlighting. So yeah, Googling doesn't help at all unfortunately.

I use dark reader for most sites and just turn it off it messes them up too much and I don't feel like changing settings, but for SA I use Stylus (a no spyware version of the Stylish extension that nobody should use) and the Something Awfully Wronger? color scheme. It works pretty well.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/stylus/clngdbkpkpeebahjckkjfobafhncgmne
https://userstyles.org/styles/browse/somethingawful?page=1

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Is there a way to tell Win 10 not to bring displays out of power save just because there are notifications? I keep coming in the morning and finding out that my monitor has been on for hours because two of my friends had a 4am chat on some Discord channel where I have notifications enabled, or someone Signalled me after I went AFK.

In case anyone was curious, this turned out to have nothing to do with Discord, Signal, wake timers, or any other sane thing. Somehow my aging Thrustmaster HOTAS setup was keeping the display alive. I happened to unplug and re-plug it one day just to tidy up some cords, and the problem vanished. It is a mystery.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

veni veni veni posted:

Thanks. That’s what I thought but I figured I’d ask anyways.

It is/was kind of almost a thing, but requires hardware support:
- https://www.howtogeek.com/189224/how-connected-standby-works-or-why-your-windows-8-pcs-battery-drains-so-fast/
- https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/device-experiences/modern-standby

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Fruits of the sea posted:

Yeah, configurable usb numpads are a relatively cheap solution.

If by chance you’re a musician and have a midi controller laying about, they can also be made to work with autohotkey with a little googling and experimentation.

This gave me the mental image of flying a simulated plane with a keytar.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Blue Footed Booby posted:

This gave me the mental image of flying a simulated plane with a keytar.
You can totally play a flight simulator with a Guitar Hero controller.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Yeah, I mean the ideal solution is something like one of the Akai controllers that are basically a bunch of big buttons with led feedback. There’s nothing stopping you from using goofy poo poo like a midi theremin though.

Thinking some more about it, a mixing board wouldn’t be a bad way to control for yaw, pitch and thrust.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

You can totally play a flight simulator with a Guitar Hero controller.

Heh we had a drunken night where a bunch of us played Mortal Kombat against each other, one person using the guitar and the other using drums.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

TL;WR: can I migrate an installation of windows from one NvME drive to another? Didn't work the first time...

I recently got a 1tb nvme drive, to replace an at-capacity 256gb nvme drive that is my main boot/windows drive in my PC. but i'm having problems!

I got Macrium Reflect, I imaged my existing drive to an external USB, I created a bootable thumb drive from Macrium, pulled my case open, swapped the drives, and booted up... I put the image onto the new drive, but I can't boot off it. It appears in my BIOS, but I can't do anything. I noticed when I was imaging the original drive that it has three partitions - I've read that for an NvME drive specifically, you have to let windows create those partitions otherwise it won't recognize the drive. Is that true? Assuming that it is - what can I do to migrate my existing windows install over to the new drive, short of creating bootable media and starting over from zero? I'm not against it per se, but I use the PC for my job and I've already wasted a full day (including disabling CSM and then realizing that that would prevent my computer from even POSTing, ugh) getting back to "it's working" territory with the old drive. I've never tackled this before so I'm fully green when it comes to imaging windows and stuff like that.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Dumb small question that's probably been answered but I've only just found the thread:

What's the simplest/lightweight program or Chrome extension that I can rip YouTube videos out with? Additional light editing tools built in would be nice but not necessary. Used to use something appropriately called "Youtube Downloader" but it turned into malware. Just want to rip music videos from youtube into an .mp4 file so I can pop them on the HTPC for my music video collection during parties.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Youtube-dl

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

The Joe Man posted:

Dumb small question that's probably been answered but I've only just found the thread:

What's the simplest/lightweight program or Chrome extension that I can rip YouTube videos out with? Additional light editing tools built in would be nice but not necessary. Used to use something appropriately called "Youtube Downloader" but it turned into malware. Just want to rip music videos from youtube into an .mp4 file so I can pop them on the HTPC for my music video collection during parties.

https://ytdl-org.github.io/youtube-dl/index.html

It doesn't do the editing part, but you need to get ffmpeg as well for best use of youtube-dl. FFmpeg can do basic time cuts of AV really easy:
ffmpeg.exe -ss 00:00 -to 04:20.69 -i youtubevid.mp4 -c copy cutfile.mp4

-ss is start time and -to is end time

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

I downloaded the .exe and ran it and it didn't do anything as far as I can tell.

Any other program suggestions that don't require typing poo poo into a command line to download a simple video? Is Replay Media Catcher still around and up to date?

EDIT: I appreciate the suggestion but I don't think it's what I'm looking for.

EDIT X2: Newest version of Replay Media Catcher worked great. Thanks!

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 8, 2020

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

The Joe Man posted:

I downloaded the .exe and ran it and it didn't do anything as far as I can tell.

Any other program suggestions that don't require typing poo poo into a command line to download a simple video? Is Replay Media Catcher still around and up to date?

EDIT: I appreciate the suggestion but I don't think it's what I'm looking for.

EDIT X2: Newest version of Replay Media Catcher worked great. Thanks!

https://mrs0m30n3.github.io/youtube-dl-gui/ if you're not a command-line person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Oh poo poo, just tested this out and it's exactly what I wanted. Thank you!